Type keyword(s) to search

Dragon Ball Super - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ah, Jaco! Your battery died at the worst time. 

I know Vegeta didn't pay too much attention to Trunks as a baby but he never saw baby Trunks with a pacifier? 

I'm looking forward to next week. I didn't spoil myself but I read this is a really good arc.

On Sun Jan 07 2018 at 0:42 PM, Lantern7 said:

ETA: Enough Monaka. Somebody spill the beans to Goku. "But . . . how will I stay motivated?!?" Vegeta: "Try to match me. I defeated three fighters in that tournament." "Hey, Frost poisoned me." "EXCUSES!!!!"

I don't get the whole Monaka motivation other than Super trying to recapture the humor from Dragon ball and failing. Wouldn't Beerus and Vegeta be enough motivation? Goku hasn't beaten Beerus and Goku can't let Vegeta get ahead of him. He flipped out when he learned Vegeta spent six months training with Whis. 

Once again Krillin's big mouth gets him in trouble. He deserved that from ChiChi. Foods from other universes must be plain if Beerus is impressed by lettuce.

Can't wait to see more from Goku Black. I can tell Sean Schemmel will be having fun with this. 

On Sun Jan 14 2018 at 7:54 PM, Lantern7 said:

Only other guy I can think of in anime with a pacifier is Koenma from Yu Yu Hakusho . . . and he spent the first part of the series as a baby.

It's been forever since I've seen Yu Yu but didn't the pacifier contain his power or something?

This week: Future Trunks. And what's worse than two nihilist cyborgs androids running amok after murdering all the superior fighters (and Yamcha)? Goku Black. We get less than a minute of him, and I reckon he's smarter than our guy. Like @Sandman87 said, he's got a Kai earring. Botched resurrection? Evil Goku from another universe? Another timeline? Both? And we know he's evil because he killed Bulma. Dude, Vegeta doesn't do that, and Standard Model Goku is way nicer.

1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

Once again Krillin's big mouth gets him in trouble. He deserved that from ChiChi.

I'm guessing Krillin didn't think Goku could go to Beerus' world without Whis. But Goku can, and he does, and he gets punched in the face upon arrivial. If the movies are canon (shaky, I know), that's the second time he's gone Instant Transmission into a punch . . . first team was from Krillin in the Broly movie.

I wonder why they changed Future Trunks' hair color. It was purple (Bulma real hair color in the manga) in the Androids/Cell Saga and now Bulma is acknowledging the hair was always blue and not purple. 

So now we know what Korin and Yajirobe do at Korin's Tower all day. 

"We've gotten too used to seeing this stuff" sums up my feelings on a few DB Sagas. 

On Sun Jan 21 2018 at 12:47 AM, Lantern7 said:

Goku Black. We get less than a minute of him, and I reckon he's smarter than our guy. Like

I'm guessing Krillin didn't think Goku could go to Beerus' world without Whis. 

Oh, Black is definitely smarter. Just listen to how he talks. This might be the closest we'll get to seeing what Goku could've been as Kakarrot. 

Maybe Krillin forgot since Goku IT from Beerus world when Freeze was on Earth. 

On Sun Jan 21 2018 at 8:41 PM, Terrafamilia said:

I had to look it up but you are right. The young Mai who works for Pilaf and the grown Mai who was with Future Trunks are the same.

Was it ever explain in a movie I missed why Mai, Pilaf and Shu are younger since Mai  was grown in Dragonball? I accept some retcon a but Mai/Trunks pairing? 

Poor Goten. Lost his best friend at eight years old to a girl. I think Goten will take it better than Bart losing Milhouse to a girl but a fight between them over them it would be hilarious  

9 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I wonder why they changed Future Trunks' hair color. It was purple (Bulma real hair color in the manga) in the Androids/Cell Saga and now Bulma is acknowledging the hair was always blue and not purple. 

"We've gotten too used to seeing this stuff" sums up my feelings on a few DB Sagas. 

Oh, Black is definitely smarter. Just listen to how he talks. This might be the closest we'll get to seeing what Goku could've been as Kakarrot. 

Maybe Krillin forgot since Goku IT from Beerus world when Freeze was on Earth. 

Was it ever explain in a movie I missed why Mai, Pilaf and Shu are younger since Mai  was grown in Dragonball? I accept some retcon a but Mai/Trunks pairing? 

Poor Goten. Lost his best friend at eight years old to a girl. I think Goten will take it better than Bart losing Milhouse to a girl but a fight between them over them it would be hilarious  

Pilaf, Mai and Shu made a wish on the dragon balls to be younger and it didn't quite turn out how they expected.

I'm pretty certain Black is not actually evil Goku.  He keeps referring to Trunks as being the last Saiyan (and other language referring to those Saiyans), implying he's not a Saiyan. 

Nice to see more stage-setting. Apparently, Goku Black doesn't know about time travel, so he'll probably make cinders of the wreckage that is Earth until the idea dawns on him. Meanwhile, it's cute that Bulma and Vegeta care for Future Trunks after his visit years ago. Also funny that Pilaf figures he was the son they had before Trunks. And Team Pilaf being in a homeschool-of-sorts with Trunks works on some levels.

19 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

In Team Four Star's abridgements, they're a couple.  Their wedding reception was at the start of the first Broly movie..

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Matt K said:

Pilaf, Mai and Shu made a wish on the dragon balls to be younger and it didn't quite turn out how they expected.

I'm pretty certain Black is not actually evil Goku.  He keeps referring to Trunks as being the last Saiyan (and other language referring to those Saiyans), implying he's not a Saiyan. 

Ah. Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like something to happen to them. Besides Mr. Satan, they have to be the luckiest characters in the series. So many times they escaped death: Monkey Goku  King Piccolo, Red Ribbon army, etc.

13 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Pure speculation: The earring is eeevil, and it possessed the Goku in that timeline.

That would make a good fanfic.

On 1/28/2018 at 2:51 AM, Arcadiasw said:

My brain always explained that away a little as how like sometimes a little kid is super blond, like almost white hair, and as he gets older it gets darker and more dark blond almost light brown. Hence, Bulma knows future older Trunks' hair is blue, but little-kid Trunks in the same room has pale purple.

Bravo Future Trunks for taking care of Dabura and Babidi and not allowing Buu to be freed! He could probably beat up Teen Gohan now. Future Trunks was always the smartest Saiyan. 

What's no so smart? Goku and Future Trunks testing their strengths over West City. 

Had to miss it. This is the same Trunks from the Androids/Cell arc? So Babidi and Dabura made their move after he wasted the androids? A world without a Buu . . . sounds so nice. Now I'm wondering if Android 16 is still offline. "I am here to kill Son Goku." "Um, he's died. Ages ago." "Shit. What am I to do?" "Take up bird-watching?" "Get out of my head."

(edited)

Just saw the episode. Over on GT, Shenron basically exploded and turned into sinister dragons because the Dragon Balls had been used far too often . . . and -- IIRC -- Bulma got the blame because she was the one who invented the Dragon Radar and wanted the perfect boyfriend. Nice to see some things don't change, though I think Future Bulma is off the hook because she's in the worst of timelines. Also, she's dead. Can't fault Beerus and Whis for getting pissy, though.

On 2/4/2018 at 3:02 PM, Terrafamilia said:

Bulma just happens to be carrying around fish sausage in her pocket? Calling Dr. Freud.

On 2/4/2018 at 11:04 PM, Sandman87 said:

Maybe she's just crazy prepared for every eventuality...like having to feed Beerus at a moment's notice.

Best guess from me: she's got a refrigerator in her pocket. Hey, her father is all about the miniaturization game, and maybe Bulma has several fridges full of choice eats for the hungriest and crankiest cat in the universe.

ETA: “Oh, joy. He’s getting stronger.” Thanks, Krillin! Anyway, the battle of the Gokus is short-lived, as Black gets sucked back to the future (don’t roll your eyes; that got said at least twice), but not before he blows up the time machine . . . because nobody thought to protect it. The rest of the episode has Beerus and Whis getting pissy about mortals traveling through time, and Trunks wallowing . . . to the point where Vegeta — VEGETA — has to snap him out of it. In the end, Bulma comes up with a new plan: fix up the time machine Cell used to cause his ruckus.

ETA2: Team Four Star did several shorts on DBS. This was made from tonight’s episode.

Edited by Lantern7
2 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Well Bulma did name Black and while she's a genius, she's not good with names. Trunks. Bra.

Her name more or less means "Bloomers," her sister is Tights, her son is Trunks and the daughter in GT is Bra. It's a theme. There are lots of those in the DB books.

I think that Trunks or Bulma said something along the lines of "that damn Black!" in the arc's first episode. Wow. I mean, totally knew whom they were talking about, but my mind went to a (slightly) bad place.

So now that they've established what Black's ring is, that just leaves the earring. I still think it's the evil source of his evil power. Maybe Goku should try to target it next time they meet.

I bet Beerus is going to keep popping up on Earth every chance that he gets. He always manages to get food and entertainment during his visits.

The three little freeloaders actually did something useful! Not terribly useful, mind you, but they prevented anything else from catching fire.

This week: Future Trunks tells Present Mai about her future life, and she is smitten as fuck. Well, at least until he reveals that Goku Black killed her. Just to check: Team Pilaf are the same idiots that bugged Goku in the original Dragon Ball, right? And they were adult, right? So is it implied that they got Shenron'd into kids? And if so, wouldn't Mai not react like a kid to Trunks' story?

Also, Goku wants training. Whis passes because temporal tampering and all that. Then he goes to King Kai, and our favorite deceased bug/catfish deity puts his foot down because his planet is still fucked up from Goku's latest "workouts."

ETA: They're still focusing on GB's ring. Given the credits feature a Supreme Kai, I'd have to side with those saying that the earring is key. Also, notice that HB kindasorta  channels Goku's orange look when he's powering up.

Edited by Lantern7
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

This week: Future Trunks tells Present Mai about her future life, and she is smitten as fuck. Well, at least until he reveals that Goku Black killed her. Just to check: Team Pilaf are the same idiots that bugged Goku in the original Dragon Ball, right? And they were adult, right? So is it implied that they got Shenron'd into kids? And if so, wouldn't Mai not react like a kid to Trunks' story?

Also, Goku wants training. Whis passes because temporal tampering and all that. Then he goes to King Kai, and our favorite deceased bug/catfish deity puts his foot down because his planet is still fucked up from Goku's latest "workouts."

ETA: They're still focusing on GB's ring. Given the credits feature a Supreme Kai, I'd have to side with those saying that the earring is key. Also, notice that HB kindasorta  channels Goku's orange look when he's powering up.

I'm guessing Mai still retains her adult mind even though she's in a kid's body. In Future Trunks time, the Dragon Balls has been gone over 20 years. I assumed Pilaf's crew were turned to kids sometime before Majin Buu events but I guess they were changed after the Freeza storyline and before the Androids arrived?

Poor kid Trunks. He's in competition with himself.

I think the single earring and the way he talks implies GB is a Kai and I lean towards what has been theorized upthread as a botch resurrection. He has Goku's body but doesn't know how to use it fully like Ginyu when he possessed Goku's body. 

It's a good thing Whis and Beerus are investigating GB because shockingly no one else is really focused on why GB looks like Goku. I get Future Trunks and Bulma's reasons but Goku, even as fighting hungry he is, isn't the least bit curious why someone in Future Trunks time looks like him and is causing massive death and destruction when his future self has been dead for over 20 years in that time?

Edited by Arcadiasw
On 2/17/2018 at 10:09 PM, Lantern7 said:

Given the credits feature a Supreme Kai, I'd have to side with those saying that the earring is key.

They also seem to show him falling, which is usually anime credits shorthand for "this guy dies at some point", although not always.

In this episode: Future Trunks has dinner with Gohan's family. People spend a lot of time eating on this show for some reason. And Present Trunks is all jealous about Mai paying attention to FT.

"Hey Piccolo, is Gohan really strong in this timeline?"

"No Trunks. He doesn't fight any more. He's completely harmless."

What? He was only missing the left one in my timeline!"

"I said harmless! Harm-less!"

"Oh."

@Sandman87 . . . boooooooooooooooooooooooo. That is all.

How awesome was it for Whis to track down a lead in another Universe -- three over, no less! -- for Goku that nobody mentioned? I get F-Trunks meeting a Gohan that didn't have to grow up really fast was important. I mean, it's not like we had a scene with Tights hanging with Yamcha, Chiaozu and/or Yajarobi. But I don't think (or at least remember) Whis doing any sort of thinking about it for the benefit of the audience.

Poor F-Trunks. I liked how he was happy for Gohan to have a really peaceful life with a wife, daughter, and father-in-law that got bitch-slapped into a mountain by Cell about a decade ago. But he was trained by Future Gohan and he saw Young Gohan go beyond Super Saiyan to destroy Cell. Unless F-Trunks was killed before that. I can't remember.

Only working theory of mine: time works differently in each universe. Goku whups Zamasu. Zamasu harbors a grudge. Zamasu somehow gains abilities and Goku's looks and invades Earth-DB (Universe 7) only it's the future, and he can only whup on Trunks.

In other news, Mai is still hot for Future Trunks, which is weird. Then Trunks finds out Krillin and Eighteen are married, and I think that freaks him the hell out worse than Papa Gohan with Father-In-Law Satan.

Kinda wish the franchise was opened up more. Does Eighteen still have her abilities? Does Maron have the same possibilities as Pan, Trunks and Goten? Also, I'm thinking a lady team-up arc: Chi Chi, Eighteen, Launch, Videl and Bulma in a power suit

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

To no one's surprise - Nice job breaking it, Goku! You had to go and set up a self-fulfilling closed trans-universal cross-time loop.

Well, that's my take. I know of Occam's Razor, but I would want a more intricate cause to the origin of Goku Black. On the other hand: do DB fans really watch and/or read the various series for the stories? No, they want people to beat the hell out of each other.

Edited by Lantern7
On 3/4/2018 at 4:17 PM, Lantern7 said:

On the other hand: do DB fans really watch and/or read the various series for the stories?

At his point I'm watching just to see what kind of weird names new characters will have.

Vegeta and F-Trunks bond through training. More importantly, events play out in Universe-10 basically how I'd figured. I dunno . . . has there ever been a swerve in a story, at least halfway through? For example, F-Trunks killing Freiza and Cold, then revealing himself to be the son of Vegeta and Bulma wouldn't count. "Wow, Vegeta isn't happy with Semi-Perfect Cell. But would he sell out Eighteen to- . . .  yep, just did it." "Vegeta lust for power and battle, but he would never sell- . . . and he just did, with the weird 'M' on his forehead."

And here's another scene spoofed by Team Four Star:

On Sun Mar 04 2018 at 7:17 PM, Lantern7 said:

Well, that's my take. I know of Occam's Razor, but I would want a more intricate cause to the origin of Goku Black. On the other hand: do DB fans really watch and/or read the various series for the stories? No, they want people to beat the hell out of each other.

Fights are fine but it was actually the story that pulled me in. Strong guy who thought he was an Earthling discovers he's an alien sent to Earth as a baby to destroy it. Instead has saved Earth and has a family. Son is kidnapped and instead of honoring kidnapper (his brother) demands, dies saving his child. Father and son are separated and train to battle aliens from home planet coming to destroy adoptive planet. Fighting has always been apart of the series but for me the fighting was the eventual set up and payoff after a good story buildup.

One of the problems I've had with Super is the stories aren't good. Sure there are interesting takes and funny moments here and there but it's either a rehash or recon of a storyline or characters from DBZ or DB for Super's weak plot to work. 

Maybe my opinion will change with Trunks storyline. 

I'm glad Vegeta pummeled Future Trunks. He was falling into the same trap the other characters fell into. "Instead of continuing my training, I'm gonna let Goku handle the bad guy."

On 3/10/2018 at 8:00 PM, Lantern7 said:

More importantly, events play out in Universe-10 basically how I'd figured. I dunno . . . has there ever been a swerve in a story, at least halfway through?

I don't blame the lack of swerve here on anything specific to this show though. Pretty much the second you're dealing with time-traveler-comes-back-and-causes-investigation-of-his-nemesis, you're pretty much bound to land in "what they do to try to figure it out causes the future they're worried about" territory, which is what I presumed the meeting in universe-10 to have been.

Poor Beerus looked ready to have an anxiety attack at Goku seeing Zenny.

I see why the Grand Zeno is bored and chose Goku as a playmate but the gag of Goku not knowing how to act in front of a supreme being is getting old. 

7 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Hard to believe that Beerus has such a lame weakness.

Actually that makes me wonder what happen to the Old Kai's Destroyer since the current Supreme Kai is tied to Beerus.

(edited)

We have a dystopian future where there’s only one powerful guy, and he can’t measure up to the ultimate evil. Oh, and Yajirobe is still alive. Of course he is. Korin sacrificed himself for him to live.

Basically, it’s Goku Black vs. Vegeta, and Veggie doesn’t stack up. And then Zamasu shows up, making things weirder as we fade to credits. Why am I posting this soon? Here’s another Team Four Star scene, where Goku Black introduces Vegeta to the power of Super Saipan Rosé. Just had to copy the word for the accent.

In the Honest Game Trailer for Dragon Ball Fighterz, Goku Black is labeled “Edgelord Goku.” Accurate?

Edited by Lantern7

Yajirobe surviving makes more sense than him facing the Androids and dying. Makes you wonder what happened to Oolong and Puar. 

And of course Yajirobe would eat the last senzu bean instead of using it as a seed to recreate more beans. 

Too bad Trunks never thought to bring senzu beans with him in the future. He could regrow them again. 

Thanks to that little spoof, now I'm picturing Saiyan Rose throwing roses like Tuxedo Mask.

I just keep wondering why, knowing what they know about the earring, and frankly, the damn time ring, why Goku and Vegeta attempt to do any kind of fighting again Goku Black. I'm sitting over here like, seriously, rip his ear off...or his finger. See what happens. None of this repeated pummelling into progressively deeper craters.

Oh right, these brothers don't want to win, they want to have fun in the fight.

On 3/25/2018 at 3:51 AM, Arcadiasw said:

Too bad Trunks never thought to bring senzu beans with him in the future. He could regrow them again. 

I was wondering about that. Maybe Goku or Vegeta remembered to bring some.