Type keyword(s) to search

Dragon Ball Super - General Discussion

• Start Topic

LOL at Piccolo! His reaction is the reaction of everybody who’ve wondered why Goku and Vegeta put up with their wives. Bravo to all the fanfic writers who called it years ago. Bulma should’ve brought Vegeta with her. Jaco and Zuno could use a good Super Saiyan smacking. Still waiting on an explanation on where Tights has been during the DB and DBZ series. 

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:29 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Always nice when we get some confirmation that Goku loves his wife.

Super does seem to do a poor job with that so far.

As for tonight's show, I didn’t think Goku would pass the written test. So, Saiyans don’t age until they are 80 and Goku actually grows facial hair and shaves???  Funny Vegeta eats like Goku when he eats ChiChi’s cooking. Since there wasn’t a halo over his head, I’m guessing the old Supreme Kai isn’t dead anymore. King Kai is gonna be pissed when he learns that.

• Love 1

This week: prelude! We get a look at Team Champa . . . featuring a kid Saiyan, somebody from Freeza's race, and Giant Anime Winnie The Pooh. Also, Buu stinks up the cast's trip to the venue, and subsequently flunks the written exam, leaving Team Beerus down a man. The new guy? Not physically impressive, can't take a punch in the face from Goku, and has large nipples. Stay weird, Akira Toriyama!!!

Seems kind of dumb to have a written test for something like this. Might as well require that they demonstrate their musical skills, or prove that they can crochet.

Laughing at "Apologies my Lord, but between the showers and the defecation we just couldn't get moving."

2 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Seems kind of dumb to have a written test for something like this. Might as well require that they demonstrate their musical skills, or prove that they can crochet.

It was Vegeta's idea. He didn't want the other side to field a mindless monster. Buu isn't really mindless, but I think he's brainless. He's a big pink blob of demonic energy. Or something. I don't remember his sage. I can imagine the conversation.

Vegeta: (facepalming) Kakkarot, I went through a whole speech about fighters being brought in having intelligence. And you want to pick . . . that?!?

Goku: C'mon, Vegeta! he can kick so much ass for us! And I'm sure Mr. Satan has been educating him!

Vegeta: I'd prefer the bald runt to fight alongside us. Or your PTSD son. Or Triclops. Or Triclops' weird dwarf friend. For fuck's sake, I'd rather take the beta male that my wife dumped upgrading to me!!!!

Goku: Are you still mad about the time you got jacked up on Bobiddi's power, suicide-attacked Buu, and it slowed him down for about a minute?

Vegeta: MAYBE!!!!!

22 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

Since the hyperbolic time chamber is supposed to have bathing facilities it doesn't make much sense that the two couldn't at least have been presentable when they showed up.

Super seems to really caricaturized the characters from how they were in DBZ. Even with Cell looming over them, Goku and Vegeta still cleaned their bodies and worn clothes before leaving the chamber. 

I was surprised they got away with the 'releasing the dragon' comment Goku made to Krillin but ease of censors or later time slot has help to allow us to see how DBZ and Super how it's meant to be seen. 

Speaking of the PTSD son, funny how he was concern with telling or was it leaving Videl with Pan alone and work as an excuse to not fight and yet Videl and Pan went with everyone else and Gohan stayed back on Earth to work. I'll catch the repeat on Saturday but didn't all the fighters except Gohan leave Earth? After the recent Freeza storyline and probably my reading too much fanfiction, it may not be the smartest decision to leave Earth so vulnerable. 

Thought: Perhaps the guys did clean themselves regularly in the Chamber, but Saiyans sweat harder than humans, undoing even the strongest soaps and antiperspirants.

Also, I realized that I had Vegeta call Krillin "bald runt," even though his hair grew back. I'm used to his original look. I remember being in Chinatown and seeing a figure of Krillin with hair, before DBZ had reached the Buu arc. I think that I thought it was a bootleg for a few seconds.

I suspected Goku might lose since he never starts first (except Cell Games) but I didn't see that ring out coming.  

Way to go Krillin and Bulma for supporting 'good' Freeza over your oldest friend. Even though he's supposed to be good I'm still suspicious of that Freeza.

The big golden bear guy reminded me of Bouncing Boy from the Legion of Super Heroes.

Based on the sudden inexplicable dizziness, I suspect that Goku was drugged. Maybe Frost did it, maybe it was the food he ate beforehand, maybe it was Champa because he can't stand losing.

Yeah it didn't make sense to me they voided Piccolo's loss but not Goku, but I guess since the second fight happened they didn't want to go back two? Or possibly just Jakko saw it in the Piccolo fight, hence the check, but since no one saw the stab the first time so there wasn't proof ish that Goku wasn't just genuinely knocked out of the ring. Or something.

The Goku/Chichi moment was cute. Love Goku being self-conscious about PDA. And his nonchalant attitude about losing. That was the most in-character moment he's had in this whole series, because other that I feel like this version of his character is nothing like how he developed in DB/DBZ.

Edited by Spartan Girl
13 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Yeah it didn't make sense to me they voided Piccolo's loss but not Goku, but I guess since the second fight happened they didn't want to go back two? Or possibly just Jakko saw it in the Piccolo fight, hence the check, but since no one saw the stab the first time so there wasn't proof ish that Goku wasn't just genuinely knocked out of the ring. Or something.

I’ll be shocked if Goku doesn’t find a way back in the tournament if they're on verge of losing their universe to Champa. He didn’t let Cell killing him stop him from coaching Gohan from the dead.

7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The Goku/Chichi moment was cute. Love Goku being self-conscious about PDA. And his nonchalant attitude about losing. That was the most in-character moment he's had in this whole series, because other that I feel like this version of his character is nothing like how he developed in DB/DBZ.

I would’ve preferred a sneak attack from ChiChi but I take what I can get. Goku wouldn’t have reacted the way Vegeta did but seeing his face all red or even with saucer eyes would’ve been hilarious.

I think it’s the personal preference of the viewer to consider Super canon or not. There are too many timeline and character inconsistencies between Z and Super for me to consider it canon.

• Love 1

Whatever Monaka speciality is, it's not fighting.

I guess Vegeta learned his lesson from Golden Freeza. Defeat him immediately.  However, he dropped the ball a bit dealing with Magetta.

Did Vados make a personal deal with all the fighters? 

After all the talking about how trickery is a warrior's greatest weapon and how he's not going to hold back, Frost gets one-shotted by Vegeta, who rings his bell good and ejects him from the ring. Knocked out and knocked out.

I'm a little curious about how Frost's venom could cause mere unconsciousness without any pain, since it's clearly incredibly corrosive.

I like the new ending credits. I  miss Goku on Nimbus but why the two week break?  

Goku, you tell your opponents how you found their weakness after the fight is over not during. Once again Goku takes the hard way. 

13 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Goku, you tell your opponents how you found their weakness after the fight is over not during. Once again Goku takes the hard way. 

At least he didn't take the opportunity to train his opponent.

Hey, somebody had to teach Cabbe about going Super Saiyan. Can't wait for the tournament to wrap up, when Goku informs the kid that he doesn't necessarily need rage and anger to achieve a new level of power.

This week: Vegeta's winning streak ends as master assassin Hit uses his uncanny mojo to decimate him. Goku steps up . . . and this is basically the deciding battle, because Monaka doesn't have any real power, and he was used to motivate the Saiyans. Apparently, Beerus can be as foolish as Champa. On the bright side, Goku seems to get the hang of battle at episode's end.

Well, I didn't expect the match to conclude like that. Even without next week tease, I suspected the guy and those guards were higher in rank given  Champa and Beeerus reaction. 

Someone better put a muzzle on Goku because you know what he's going to do.

The Tournament Arc ends .  . . with the promise of another tournament in the future. With fighters from all twelve universes. And that's cool with Zeno, the most supreme supreme that ever supremed. I know Goku's powerful as hell, but why can't Vegeta and Piccolo choke him out before he gets a fight boner? Also I get how Vegeta is always looking to level up, and he did take out three fighters . . . but I would think he would have enough tournaments for one lifetime. There's that one, the WMAT where he blew up the crowd . . . does the Cell Games count?

Beerus gave Champa a healthy Earth just to lord it over him. I'm thinking that Earth has two months left before its destruction. Champa would make like Maijin Buu, only he'd eat all of the food instead of turning people into candy.

I don't know how long until the next tournament, but I did take a picture of a Destroyer and his aide/assistant/whatever Whis puts on his business card. Anyway, I took a picture of a duo today at Anime NYC, and I ran into this pair from Universe 11. Word of warning: this Destroyer looks like unfiltered nightmare fuel.

I'm glad Goku didn't do something stupid like challenge Grand Zeno to a fight. I like Hit's reaction to Goku wanting to fight again so soon. No, Goku, he doesn't want to fight you ever again. 

Sad thing Goku of DB/DBZ didn't mind taking breaks from fighting. Super Goku not so much. 

10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I don't know how long until the next tournament, but I did take a picture of a Destroyer and his aide/assistant/whatever Whis puts on his business card. Anyway, I took a picture of a duo today at Anime NYC, and I ran into this pair from Universe 11. Word of warning: this Destroyer looks like unfiltered nightmare fuel.

An It Destroyer. Clever. 

Edited by Arcadiasw

When Grand Zeno started talking about how he might need new destroyers, I figured he was going to replace Beerus and Chompa with Goku and Hit. But he was just yanking everyone's chain. Just what we need; a wise-ass Supreme Ruler of Everything.

Can't say that holding the tournament on the last Super Dragon Ball was a smart idea. What if Goku had blown it up? After all, he and Beerus nearly destroyed a universe during their fight.

Two notes before tonight's episode:

1. The Toonami block now starts at 10:30 p.m., and that's when DBS airs.
  2. The 8-9 DBS block appears to be no more, so you'll have to catch the new episodes at 10:30.

Well that sucks DBS won't be on at 8 anymore.

Geez, Yamcha. Way to almost blow it for everyone. Still though, I think DBZ Goku would've caught on but DBS Goku sometimes act like DB Goku. 

Vegeta is as bad an actor as Piccolo but their comedy is pretty good. 

Monaka lives! Barely!

Of course we'd have Wacky Sitcom Mixups before the next arc, and it comes down to another staged fight. I'd say Goku vs. Mr. Satan was more fun, but the party people did good with improvising. Lucky they had the plus-sized Monaka "statue." Watching Vegeta and Piccolo try to cover was awesome, and great move with Krillin using Solar Flare.

Puar can shapeshift? I know she used to do that in Dragon Ball, but I don't think that happened at any point in DBZ. Also, Oolong could do that as well. Actually . . . no, who cares about the lecherous pig? Ditto Yamcha. In their DBZ abridgements, Team Four Star abuses the crap out of him. Can you blame them at all?

ETA for something that's been in my head that I'm too lazy to look up: Chi Chi's father is Ox King. Is there an Ox Kingdom? Or is that a title? And would that make Chi Chi an Ox Princess?

My grandfather once got some physical junk mail for "Big Ox Pills" (boner pills), complete with helpful pictures illustrating the Power of the Ox, so "Ox King" makes me giggle uncontrollably.

I wonder if it's ever occurred to Bulma that a fight breaks out every time she has a party.

Edited by Sandman87

This was a really nice fluff episode! So many laughs with this one.

Amazing Vegeta did not kill Goku for the saggy boob remark.

An Arale sighting! Nice shout out there.

Never thought I would write Piccolo and adorable in the same sentence but Piccolo is so adorable! Aww, he’s a wonderful second grandfather to Pan and it was nice to see Goku bond with his granddaughter. Now if we could get more scenes like that with him and Goten.

I know ChiChi wanted Gohan to take that job but ChiChi should be happy with Gohan’s decision to turn down the job in order to spend more time with Pan considering Goku wasn’t always around for Gohan and Goten.

So not only can Pan fly before the terrible twos but holding on to her enabled  Pilaf, Mai and Shu to breathe in space?

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:50 AM, Lantern7 said:

ETA for something that's been in my head that I'm too lazy to look up: Chi Chi's father is Ox King. Is there an Ox Kingdom? Or is that a title? And would that make Chi Chi an Ox Princess?

I know in the manga Ox King had a castle on a mountain before Master Roshi destroyed it. In the anime, I think he ruled the neighboring village after he changed his ways so ChiChi is Princess of the village I guess.

• Love 2

I'm guessing GT is officially unofficial with Pan flying around that young. Or maybe she will land on her head and be unable to do anything but fly. And be a pest. I know, quarter-Saiyan, but that should be enough to punch Grandpa Satan through several walls.

I like the idea of Goku suffering for his actions (re: Kaioken Times Ten in Super Saiyan Blue mode). Yes, he's died a few times and got laid out in a body cast, but not being hungry and having troubles flying around and using Instant Transmission? Nice material for a one-shot. And has he visited Penguin Village since DB? Nice to see Arale is still a kid. I wonder if she was transformed into candy during the Buu arc. Nah . . . Toriyama doesn't cross properties unless he wants to. Also, she's a robot.

Ever think Chi Chi chokes her husband in his sleep? It wouldn't be that bad . . . she does tend to get really mad at him, and I don't think he'd even feel it.

Of course Piccolo likes looking after Pan. That's as close to having a granddaughter as he'll get.

14 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Never thought I would write Piccolo and adorable in the same sentence but Piccolo is so adorable! Aww, he’s a wonderful second grandfather to Pan and it was nice to see Goku bond with his granddaughter. Now if we could get more scenes like that with him and Goten.

The part with Goten laying his head in Goku's lap was cute. 

And Goku accidentally IT'ing into Bulma and Vegeta's room ?????

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The part with Goten laying his head in Goku's lap was cute. 

And Goku accidentally IT'ing into Bulma and Vegeta's room ?????

Goten was too cute on his Daddy's lap and at the end passed out on the sofa exhausted looking for Pan. 

Although I laughed at how casually Goku walked away from crashing into his house, Goku could've saved himself from a fight with Chichi had he used Nimbus. 

• Love 1

From the Crowning Moment of Funny list on DBS from TVTropes:

Goku's shopping list. If you take the time to look at it, for some reason the list has pictures instead of words, almost like a children's book. And the picture are drawn crudely to boot (most likely by Goku). For added hilarity, the list has the volume of what Goku's is buying: 10 kg of bread, 35 kg of pork, 30 kg of chicken, 50 kg of cow, 30 kg of goat, and 40 kg of horse. For those more familiar with pounds this is 22 lbs of bread, 77 lb of pork, 66 lb of chicken, 110 lb of cow, 66 lb of goat, and 88 lb of horse. Apparently, Goku not only loves diversity in meat, but he particularly loves beef.

I really don't want an answer, but I need to ask . . . are horses a source of food in Japan? Or maybe it's a joke about how Goku is always so hungry that he'd literally eat a horse? I mean, there is the question as to whether Goku eats vegetables, as well as what an all-meat diet could do to his colon . . . but then I remember "Saiyan" and move on.

9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

From the Crowning Moment of Funny list on DBS from TVTropes:

I really don't want an answer, but I need to ask . . . are horses a source of food in Japan? Or maybe it's a joke about how Goku is always so hungry that he'd literally eat a horse? I mean, there is the question as to whether Goku eats vegetables, as well as what an all-meat diet could do to his colon . . . but then I remember "Saiyan" and move on.

I was wondering about that too. 

That was a really good episode.  I love Piccolo as the fussy grandpa (and really he was the one who practically raised Gohan).  That said, I do like seeing Goku in more of a family role as it's so rare to see. 

I saw the list, thought it was odd to have pictures and not words but now it makes a lot of sense. I really have to wonder on average how long it takes Chichi to cook and if they have more than one stove. Also what's Vegeta daily consumption like? Does he eat anything like Goku or does he eat certain foods like pork and chicken but choose to not eat certain animals like horse unless he really has to. 

8 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I saw the list, thought it was odd to have pictures and not words but now it makes a lot of sense.

Wouldn't be surprised if Goku was illiterate. I mean, could Grandpa Gohan have taught him to read and/or write before getting killed by him in Giant Ape Form? As for Vegeta . . . Bulma's loaded. She could take a few days to create a 10,000-calorie nutrition bar tasty enough to make Beerus orgasm in delight . . . but she's probably always busy with other stuff, so her buying food in bulk wouldn't surprise me, either.

Thanks to the kind folks at Wikipedia -

In Japanese cuisine, raw horse meat is called sakura (桜) or sakuraniku (桜肉, sakura means cherry blossom, niku means meat) because of its pink color. It can be served raw as sashimi in thin slices dipped in soy sauce, often with ginger and onions added. In this case, it is called basashi (馬刺し). Basashi is popular in some regions of Japan and is often served at izakaya bars. Fat, typically from the neck, is also found as basashi, though it is white, not pink. Horse meat is also sometimes found on menus for yakiniku (a type of barbecue), where it is called baniku (馬肉, literally "horse meat") or bagushi (馬串, "skewered horse"); thin slices of raw horse meat are sometimes served wrapped in a shiso leaf. Kumamoto, Nagano, and Ōita are famous for basashi, and it is common in the Tohoku region, as well. Some types of canned "corned meat" in Japan include horse as one of the ingredients.

Aside raising local draft horses for meat, Japan imports living horses (from Canada) and meat from several countries - five largest are Canada, Mexico, Italy, Argentina and Brazil.

Goku was taught how to read and write  some from Gohan Sr. before dying but didn't follow up on his lessons until he lived with Master Roshi. With the erotica books Master Roshi had Goku and Krillin read I'd say Goku is middle school literate and that's probably stretching it.

Papa Vegeta to the rescue or will it be Gotenks? Funny how Vegeta claims Bulma has Jaco wrapped around her finger when the same can be said about him. Jaco and Vegeta flight scene had me giggling. How many awkward IT trips Goku made before arriving at King Kai's?

I didn't notice until it was said on tumbler the voice for goo Vegeta is Brian Drummond who voiced Vegeta from the Ocean cast. I still have DVDs from the original cast! Hate we have to wait three weeks for the next one.

Edited by Arcadiasw
(edited)

Highlight of last night's episode: Vegeta warning the others about Oceangeta (just go with it), cautioning them about the existence of an "evil Vegeta." There should have been two straight minutes of every cast member in the anime laughing hysterically, because there's not much difference between the original version and the one we got now.

Regarding Gotenks: neither Goten nor Trunks strike me as being an asshole, so why does the cockiness come out after Fusion?

ETA: Enough Monaka. Somebody spill the beans to Goku. "But . . . how will I stay motivated?!?" Vegeta: "Try to match me. I defeated three fighters in that tournament." "Hey, Frost poisoned me." "EXCUSES!!!!"

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1