Type keyword(s) to search

The Eyes: News and Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

We are speculating on all this stuff in the spoiler thread right now.  Just FYI.  There are currently no real spoilers left, except three book spoilers which may or may not be included next season, so it's safe to jump in unless you are afraid of those book spoilers.

Those three things are:

Spoiler

Possible inclusion of Econowives, no word on that though.

The epilogue to the book.

Fred gets caught, tried, and killed at some point.

Edited by Umbelina
forgot one!
  • Love 1

I am surprised there's been little talk of the the upcoming awards, namely the TCA and Emmys where our show should rack up a decent amount of nominations 

In addition to Alexis Bledel being the front runner to win in Guest Actress category, Elizabeth Moss has officially surpassed Claire Foye in the Drama Actress category 

Check out Goldderby for the predictions in various categories. It doesn't look good for the show itself but Moss and Bledel are both favorites with experts and non experts 

The show also nabbed 4 nominations in the TCA nominations announced recently tying This is Us with most moms. 

• Program of the year
  • Individual Achievement Drama - Elizabeth Moss  
  • Outstanding Achievement in Drama
  • Outstanding New Show 

Do these noms up their Emmy recognizing?

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Becks said:

Handmaids out on the protest front again

I appreciate how the custome designers and the producers of Handmaid’s Tale aren’t screaming copyright infringement or something. So far as I know.

Edited by marinw
3 hours ago, marinw said:

I appreciate how the custome designers and the producers of Handmaid’s Tale aren’t screaming copyright infringement or something. So far as I know.

It makes sense that they don't, because each protest using the Handmaid's costume is indirectly more promotion for the show.

• Love 5

They'd actually impress me if they took all that energy to protest a place where that shit actually DOES go on.

From Twitter:

"Nora - نورة @noraj27 Woman in front of me at passport control in Saudi Arabia prohibited from travelling because she didn't have her male guardian's approval."

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I guess Yvonne Strahovski got edged out by Ann Dowd and Samira Wiley...?

I'm a little sad she didn't get a nod because she was so good as Serena Joy. But overall really happy with the recognition the show is getting. Of the people I know, very few subscribe to Hulu, so the show probably only had a fraction of the audience that a network show or even a prestige cable show would have. I hope the strong Emmy representation will get more people to watch.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I'm a little sad she didn't get a nod because she was so good as Serena Joy. But overall really happy with the recognition the show is getting. Of the people I know, very few subscribe to Hulu, so the show probably only had a fraction of the audience that a network show or even a prestige cable show would have. I hope the strong Emmy representation will get more people to watch.

It seems fitting for such a woman-centric show that the actors were shut out of the noms. To be fair, though, the only one of the actors who impressed me at all was Joseph Fiennes, and as good as his performance was, I don't know that I would call his omission from the noms a horrible snub.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

It seems fitting for such a woman-centric show that the actors were shut out of the noms. To be fair, though, the only one of the actors who impressed me at all was Joseph Fiennes, and as good as his performance was, I don't know that I would call his omission from the noms a horrible snub.

Don't actors have to submit themselves for consideration? I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph Fiennes, Max Minghella, and O-T Fagbenle decided to sit this one out and let the actresses have the spotlight. (Not that Fagbenle was in any danger of being nominated either way.) 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Don't actors have to submit themselves for consideration? I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph Fiennes, Max Minghella, and O-T Fagbenle decided to sit this one out and let the actresses have the spotlight. (Not that Fagbenle was in any danger of being nominated either way.) 

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/the-handmaids-tale-emmy-submissions-elisabeth-moss-alexis-bledel-hulu-news-408625739/

According to Gold Derby they submitted the Men too all in Supporting. 

Congrats to this show!! I hope they all win their respective categories. But I really am pulling for Alexis for Guest Actress- she was phenomenal in that episode. 

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/the-handmaids-tale-emmy-submissions-elisabeth-moss-alexis-bledel-hulu-news-408625739/

According to Gold Derby they submitted the Men too all in Supporting. 

Congrats to this show!! I hope they all win their respective categories. But I really am pulling for Alexis for Guest Actress- she was phenomenal in that episode. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, SiobhanJW said:

But I really am pulling for Alexis for Guest Actress- she was phenomenal in that episode. 

Seriously. I can only think of one other occasion that I've ever been so completely captivated by an actor not even speaking. It was phenomenal.

• Love 9
(edited)

Full list of Emmy nominations:

Drama Series

Drama Actress - Elisabeth Moss

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Ann Dowd

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Samira Wiley

Guest Actress in a Drama Series - Alexis Bleidel

Directing for a Drama Series - Reed Morano (“Offred (Pilot)”)

Directing for a Drama Series - Kate Dennis (“The Bridge”)

Writing for a Drama Series - Bruce Miller (“Offred (Pilot)”)

Production Design for a Narrative Contemporary or Fantasy Program (One Hour or More) - Julie Berghoff, Evan Webber & Sophie Neudorfer

Casting for a Drama Series - Russell Scott, Sharon Bialy & Sherry Thomas

Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series (One Hour) - Colin Watkinson

Period/ Fantasy Costumes for a Series, Limited Series, or Movie - Ane Crabtree & Sheena Wichary

Outstanding Special Visual Effects in a Supporting Role

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, kingshearte said:

Seriously. I can only think of one other occasion that I've ever been so completely captivated by an actor not even speaking. It was phenomenal.

Agreed. I LOVED Gilmore Girls when I was younger as I was the same age as Rory when the show first started. So I felt in some ways I related to Rory, not in all ways but some. But when I did a rewatch a few years ago- I didn't think Alexis was as strong as an actor as I thought. At least not in GG. But in this, I was just blown away. Girl can ACT! 

• Love 1

Reese Witherspoon (Big Little Lies), Elisabeth Moss (The Handmaid's Tale), Nicole Kidman (Big Little Lies), Jessica Lange (Feud: Bette and Joan), Oprah Winfrey (The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks), and Chrissy Metz (This Is Us) at The Hollywood Reporter's drama actress round table:

• Love 2
On 7/18/2017 at 9:15 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Reese Witherspoon (Big Little Lies), Elisabeth Moss (The Handmaid's Tale), Nicole Kidman (Big Little Lies), Jessica Lange (Feud: Bette and Joan), Oprah Winfrey (The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks), and Chrissy Metz (This Is Us) at The Hollywood Reporter's drama actress round table:

I haven't watched it yet, but I hope Oprah lets other people talk. She usually has to dominate every friggin conversation she's in, even when she's interviewing someone. Lord, she grates my nerves sometimes. 

• Love 1
On 6/30/2017 at 6:43 AM, marinw said:

From the interview:

"NARAL – a pro-choice charity – contacted me to ask for help because they wanted to protest in the senate.

My jaw dropped open; I was so humbled by their strength. I had to say I cannot do this for you, but I can suggest how to do this quickly. From that moment, every time there was a protest in the US, or more recently in Poland, it's jarring and emotional to see them use these costumes. The thing that's so intensely poetic for me is that women are coming together and they're finding power in a uniform that was meant to hinder them and imprison them – that to me is the perfect outcome."

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

Oh my. What a night! 

I was happy about all the wins, but most of all I loved the standing ovation for Margaret Atwood when she appeared on the stage.

In my feed (NYC) part of Elizabeth Moss's acceptance speech was muted. Did she cuss, or was that just a glitch in the feed?

• Love 4

Congrats to the show on all of their Emmy wins tonight!

DRAMA SERIES

LEAD ACTRESS, DRAMA - Elisabeth Moss (Episode: "Night")

SUPPORTING ACTRESS, DRAMA -  Ann Dowd (Episode: "Offred")

Directing for a drama series - Reed Morano (Episode: "Offred")

WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES - Bruce Miller  (Episode: "Offred")

Other creative Emmy wins (in addition to Alexis Bleidel's listed above):

Outstanding Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series (One Hour) -  - Colin Watkinson (Episode: "Offred")

Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Contemporary or Fantasy Program (One Hour or More) - Episode: "Offred"

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

Oh my. What a night!

They swept at the Emmys. Not even GoT have been able to win in so many main categories like that.

Blessed be the fruit. The "fruit" in this case  being Emmys.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Maire said:

The end of Elizabeth Moss' speech  was censored because she said that, among other praiseworthy characteristics, her mother was a " fucking badass."

Ah ha! Watching it for the first time (from my recording it last night) made me think there was either a bleep or an oddly-timed audio glitch. Thanks for filling in the missing phrase. :)

• Love 1

I don't put a ton of stock in awards because their tastes of what's "best" so seldom mirror my own, but if this gets the show and Hulu some more buzz and encourages more productions like this that take some risks and offer something new with something to say rather than the standard TV fare, good for them. Kudos to this show, to their cast and crew, and everyone involved.  

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

I don't put a ton of stock in awards because their tastes of what's "best" so seldom mirror my own, but if this gets the show and Hulu some more buzz and encourages more productions like this that take some risks and offer something new with something to say rather than the standard TV fare, good for them. Kudos to this show, to their cast and crew, and everyone involved.  

^^^^^This! 

What I liked best about this show is that it took some real risks and I would love to see more shows do that.  I also like that it is giving the props to Hulu to produce more quality shows (until this year, I always felt like it was Netflix's ugly step-sibling in the world of original programming).

• Love 6

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/margaret-atwood-talks-enduring-tale-and-relevance-today-180962902/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

The U.S. Is Too Ornery for Totalitarianism, According to Margaret Atwood

The author of The Handmaid’s Tale discusses the continued impact of the bleak 1985 novel, now being adapted into a series on Hulu

Considering the body of her work, it might be tempting to imagine that Atwood sees the world from a bleak perspective, but she calls herself an optimist. “I just think that I'm a naturally cheerful person,” she says. “I just was always that kind of a child. I was never very gloomy, odd as though it may seem. But on the other hand, I grew up amongst the scientists and amongst the scientists, you're supposed to look at real reality, you know, what's actually there rather than hopeful fantasies. I think the combination of those two things is what people can't quite get into their heads. Why would I, a naturally optimistic person, look at such gloomy scenarios? The answer is because they're there.”

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, marinw said:

Blessed be the fruit. The "fruit" in this case  being Emmys.

Praise be!

I'd love to know the increase in subscribers that Hulu will surely be getting after the big Emmy wins

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

While I was happy with all the wins (particularly Alexis Bledel's , just 'cause I love it when an actor who's been put in a box shows people what they can really do), I was thrilled by Reed Morano's directing win. I've expressed here before how much I feel she contributed to the power of those first three amazing episodes, and to see her rewarded for it made me squee like crazy. It also did my heart good to see a female director win that category, both in general and for this show in particular.

• Love 5