Type keyword(s) to search

The Eyes: News and Media

• Start Topic

The Times had an interview with her, and it's clear that she was trying to "play nice" with the expanded Hulu story when writing the new book. It also got a pretty good review (linked to in the article, but here as well: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/03/books/review/testaments-margaret-atwood-handmaids-tale.html)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/05/books/handmaids-tale-sequel-testaments-margaret-atwood.html

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1

Margaret Atwood Has “Done Some Yelling” Over the Handmaid’s Tale TV Series

“I think it’s a bit of a problem for people that know about real totalitarianism that some of these characters have survived for as long as they did,” the author said of Hulu’s TV adaptation—as her own sequel novel, The Testaments, nears its release. “Surely they would have been shot by now.”

Margaret Atwood might serve as a consulting producer on Hulu’s Handmaid’s Tale adaptation, but make no mistake: She has no more control over what happens on the series than you do. (Well, okay—maybe she has just a little more.) As the author put it in a new interview with the New York Times ahead of the release of her Handmaid’s sequel novel, The Testaments, “I have influence but no power. There’s a big difference. I’m not the person who can ultimately sign off on anything.” For those wondering, yes: This does mean that at times, Atwood has apparently also found herself bewildered by some of the show’s plot decisions.

After the first bit, this article does talk about the sequel but you will be warned by the lead sentence beginning with "The sequel..."  So you can stop there if you wish to not be spoiled about her new novel.

• Love 2

When she sold the rights for a TV show, she has to know that the producers and Hulu would want to run the show for several seasons, which means main characters like June would be around a lot longer than other Handmaids who've been executed for much less than June has done.

• Love 1

To me or sounds like Atwood hasn't been too thrilled with the Super June maneuvers bit then again it seems she is kind of a mysterious figure in the new one so we'll see how it goes.

I'd love to see the new material incorporated into the current show instead of spinning off.  The series could benefit from a time jump and and it includes characters from the show so it seems ridiculous to do a different show.

Of course there will be a sequel.

Hulu will be a key part of Disney's streaming offerings so it needs more shows, especially hit shows or those which generate buzz.

Like it or not THMT has gotten way more attention than any previous Hulu original show.

6 hours ago, Anela said:

I don't know when she started to write the sequel, but she may have sold the rights when she was happier with the show. Thinking they would do better than they have.

I've been reading all of her interviews and as many details about the new book as I can find.  Most are in The Testaments thread here, and I don't want to say too much outside of that thread on this forum.

However, I will say this much, the quote about consequences not happening was isolated, and my overall impression was/is that Atwood probably does support June's story of rebellion on the Hulu show.  She may not like some of the other PERIL/nah it's all OK stuff.   Then again, who does?  I'll leave the rest for the other thread here.

ETA

Just found this which answers your question:

TIME

Atwood, who started writing The Testaments before the show premiered, has worked closely with Miller and his team on each season, advising on story plans, details about Gilead and aspects like character names. During a recent interview, Atwood recalled sharing some choice words with Miller when she learned Lydia was going to be stabbed by a vengeful handmaid: “You absolutely cannot kill Aunt Lydia, or I will have your head on a plate,” she remembers saying.

---

Atwood acknowledges the narrative strain. “They can’t keep Offred in Gilead for many more seasons, or a certain amount of wheel spinning will be going on,” she says. “They have to move her along — and I’ve given them lots of ways of how that would happen.”

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2

Watching Perfect Harmony, the new sitcom with Bradley Whitford.  It's sort of like if Commander Lawrence escaped to Canada, lost his wife, and finds solace in berating a misfit group of church choir singers.  Unfortunately, everything but Whitford sucks.  I really hope he didn't give up on Commander Lawrence for this show. 

• Love 1

Margaret Atwood Documentary Lands at Hulu

Hulu has picked up U.S. rights to Margaret Atwood: A Word After a Word After a Word Is Power, the feature documentary about the Canadian literary star and The Handmaid's Tale author.

The film, from directors Nancy Lang and Peter Raymont, follows Atwood and her late partner Graeme Gibson to events around the world, and has interviews with The Handmaid's Tale star Elisabeth Moss, Sarah Polley, Volker Schlöndorf and others, while Tatiana Maslany reads Atwood's poetry and prose.

Hulu said the Atwood documentary will start streaming Nov. 19.

• Love 1

Just saw that the show was totally shut out at the upcoming Globes, not even BW or Lizzie managed to snag a nomination just on principle. 

19 Golden Globes Nominations Snubs and Surprises, From ‘When They See Us’ to Cate Blanchett

I really felt like the show had lost its’ way during season 3 and the overall fan reaction to it and now one of the big award boards ignoring it completely, it all just confirms to me what a weak and troubled season it was. There was far too little progress and way too much repetitive dribble and boring rehashing. 

I’d honestly feel bad it’s had such a fall from grace if it weren’t being run by two huge misogynistic dipshits.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, AnswersWanted said:

Just saw that the show was totally shut out at the upcoming Globes, not even BW or Lizzie managed to snag a nomination just on principle. 

19 Golden Globes Nominations Snubs and Surprises, From ‘When They See Us’ to Cate Blanchett

I really felt like the show had lost its’ way during season 3 and the overall fan reaction to it and now one of the big award boards ignoring it completely, it all just confirms to me what a weak and troubled season it was. There was far too little progress and way too much repetitive dribble and boring rehashing. 

I’d honestly feel bad it’s had such a fall from grace if it weren’t being run by two huge misogynistic dipshits.

While I agree that the show didn't deserve anything, seeing that they ignored When They See Us is, to me, proof that they are not really awarding creativity, talent and the art, they are awarding marketing, lobbying and themselves - by self-proclamation themselves "important" choosers of who deserves awards. Ugh.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, alexvillage said:

While I agree that the show didn't deserve anything, seeing that they ignored When They See Us is, to me, proof that they are not really awarding creativity, talent and the art, they are awarding marketing, lobbying and themselves - by self-proclamation themselves "important" choosers of who deserves awards. Ugh.

I don't disagree, but considering how much shilling THT did during season 3 with their basic banter and pandering to "current issues", like the whole DC angle, illegal immigration, and that ONE time they mentioned skin color, you would think that the Globes would be the first to eat that shit up. 

I was totally expecting them to be like, "sure we ignored all the amazing offerings from people of color this past year dealing with higjly relevant and important issues, but hey, we're still all about that enslaved lady puss show so no harm no foul!". 

They have always preferred to fake honor some sort of white washed SJW offering so they can appear "woke" to the modern day masses while all the same old same gets a tongue bath. 

The Globes are hardly the standard for acknowledging the best of the best coming out of Hollyweird, however it still warmed the cackles of my black heart to see THT lose their seat at the "cool kids" table, heh. Any time those pompous jerks take a loss will always be a win in my eyes. 

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, AnswersWanted said:

I don't disagree, but considering how much shilling THT did during season 3 with their basic banter and pandering to "current issues", like the whole DC angle, illegal immigration, and that ONE time they mentioned skin color, you would think that the Globes would be the first to eat that shit up. 

I was totally expecting them to be like, "sure we ignored all the amazing offerings from people of color this past year dealing with higjly relevant and important issues, but hey, we're still all about that enslaved lady puss show so no harm no foul!". 

They have always preferred to fake honor some sort of white washed SJW offering so they can appear "woke" to the modern day masses while all the same old same gets a tongue bath. 

The Globes are hardly the standard for acknowledging the best of the best coming out of Hollyweird, however it still warmed the cackles of my black heart to see THT lose their seat at the "cool kids" table, heh. Any time those pompous jerks take a loss will always be a win in my eyes. 

I there with you. I didn't really read the whole article and I have no idea of who was actually nominated. But you are right. The whitewashing is not new, as aren't the all other blunders when it comes to choosing hosts (I stopped watching years ago, but some of the hosts made me cringe at times) and caving to the whims of - let me think - oh yes, white powerful people.

On 3/3/2020 at 2:05 AM, scrb said:

Delay in the season must be related to this movie that Moss is doing?

presumably she is doing a lot of promotion for the movie now, so they couldn’t start filming until she was free?

Also, she’s pregnant and due soon.

On 3/11/2020 at 1:43 AM, Elbow said:

Also, she’s pregnant and due soon.

Just popped in to see if there was news of a Season 4 start date. Still not sure I’ll watch considering how ridiculous June has become. I was hoping a tree would fall on June as they carried her away in the season finale and knock her out permanently. With the new season starting with her funeral. Only way I can see any small hope at the end of the tunnel. Please Ms. Moss, decide to become a stay-at-home-mom. Then they can focus on better actors and characters like Emily. And get back to the real story. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, jenn31 said:

Just popped in to see if there was news of a Season 4 start date. Still not sure I’ll watch considering how ridiculous June has become. I was hoping a tree would fall on June as they carried her away in the season finale and knock her out permanently. With the new season starting with her funeral. Only way I can see any small hope at the end of the tunnel. Please Ms. Moss, decide to become a stay-at-home-mom. Then they can focus on better actors and characters like Emily. And get back to the real story. 

According to this article published by TV Guide earlier this month (it has many details, some borderline spoilers, so don't click if you're trying to avoid those), the season is supposed to premiere in the fall. However with production on hiatus due to COVID-19, who knows when they'll be able to restart filming.

11 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

According to this article published by TV Guide earlier this month (it has many details, some borderline spoilers, so don't click if you're trying to avoid those), the season is supposed to premiere in the fall. However with production on hiatus due to COVID-19, who knows when they'll be able to restart filming.

Came here to see if there were news. I don't watch this anymore but like to read the comments. So, they never finished filming? I don't think any show that had not finished by the time the restrictions were put in place wherever they tape the episodes will not come back until later next year. This pandemic is just starting and there will be a second wave in the fall. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

Came here to see if there were news. I don't watch this anymore but like to read the comments. So, they never finished filming? I don't think any show that had not finished by the time the restrictions were put in place wherever they tape the episodes will not come back until later next year. This pandemic is just starting and there will be a second wave in the fall. 

I think it depends how many episodes were finished before production had to shut down. If they had half of episodes in the can, I can see Hulu releasing those in the fall as planned, and the rest next year.

I thought filming hadn't started because Moss was pushing a movie in the spring and also pregnant.

So they were suppose to start production over the spring and summer.

Likely they never started shooting for season 4.

14 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I think it depends how many episodes were finished before production had to shut down. If they had half of episodes in the can, I can see Hulu releasing those in the fall as planned, and the rest next year.

Yes, it is true but if that's what they have and their plan for release of episodes, they might end up with a big hole, as in two completely different seasons, and depending on how the last timed and edited episode is, a weird "season finale" because I doubt there will be a return to filming until later next year, then the episodes released only the year after. 

(edited)
On 3/2/2020 at 11:05 PM, scrb said:

Delay in the season must be related to this movie that Moss is doing?

presumably she is doing a lot of promotion for the movie now, so they couldn’t start filming until she was free?

On 4/22/2020 at 1:05 PM, chocolatine said:

Yeah, pretty much everything is being delayed and not being filmed now because of COVID-19.  The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and so many had scheduled film dates, which have all been postponed.

I pretty much love all of those spoilers!

Edited by Umbelina
(edited)

I binged watched this whole series right before the pandemic started. Finished it right as everything started shutting down. It messed with my head for awhile! I need good things to happen in the next season.

Edited by Dmarie019
9 minutes ago, scrb said:

There's a teaser trailer out supposedly.

Good sign that they're well into resumption of production?

The FB link I posted above has the teaser trailer. I'm not sure it means production is back on, it could have been put together from the stuff they filmed before the shutdown. They released the trailer now to keep people interested since it'll be nearly two years between seasons.

• Love 1
On 6/25/2020 at 2:53 PM, bmoore4026 said:

Dammit Handmaid's Tale.  You did goofy shit that annoyed me last season but damned if that teaser didn't rope me back in for more.

I didn't see much in that teaser that was new.  It was mostly stuff from S1-S3.

On 9/6/2019 at 9:11 PM, kittykat said:

To me or sounds like Atwood hasn't been too thrilled with the Super June maneuvers bit then again it seems she is kind of a mysterious figure in the new one so we'll see how it goes.

Atwood should have spoken to Charlaine Harris before committing to the series.  They really took Charlaine's Sookie Stackhouse novels and really butchered them up.

• Love 1
On 10/10/2020 at 5:07 PM, greekmom said:

Atwood should have spoken to Charlaine Harris before committing to the series.  They really took Charlaine's Sookie Stackhouse novels and really butchered them up.

Yeah, and in a very similar way.  The first season of True Blood followed the first book (Dead Until Dark) fairly closely, but after that they just took the characters and went crazy. 

2 hours ago, Umbelina said:

I don't think, nor have I seen, that Atwood is displeased.

Exactly. Most writers understand that writing is a business, and business-wise, the show has been great for her. Even if she's not happy with all of the show's creative decisions, she must be thrilled with the reach and popularity it enjoys.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Umbelina said:

I don't think, nor have I seen, that Atwood is displeased.

She did write a sequel that "corrects" some of the many bad decisions the TV writers made.

She might be financially satisfied, but I don't believe she is pleased. Her writing is her legacy and unless she does't care about it, she might have some regrets. The show is so bad compared to her writing. 

3 hours ago, alexvillage said:

She did write a sequel that "corrects" some of the many bad decisions the TV writers made.

She might be financially satisfied, but I don't believe she is pleased. Her writing is her legacy and unless she does't care about it, she might have some regrets. The show is so bad compared to her writing. 

Actually, the show seems to (sequel book spoiler below, not show spoiler)

Spoiler

fit right in with the sequel.  If anything, it seems to support where she was going to go with this tale.  June as rebel fighter, etc.

Edited by Umbelina
added spoiler warning
  • Love 1
On 12/17/2020 at 12:39 PM, Valny said:

Yes! I don't know where they'll being going in S5(or S4 for that matter) but I'll be there for the ride. Misery maybe lessened? Nah, but I hope.

My guess is they follow the new book, which will be fabulous.

BTW when is the next season actually being released, anyone know?

• Love 1