Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Mayday

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

•   Introductions

•   Off-topic chatter

•   Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1 Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about

2 Look for an existing topic that matches or fits

3 If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

•   Character topics

•   Episode topics

•   Season topics

•   Spoiler topics

•   Speculation topics

•   In the Media topics

•   Favourite X topics

•   ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Thanks. Yeah I really should have posted in here. My rant wasn't really much of a spoiler unless viewed as an example of what happens when half the electorate avoids voting on important issues they think don't concern them!

• Love 6

Our main satirical news sight is calling watching The Handmaid's Tale a form of escapism for Irish women.

“Look the last thing you want after a long day saddled with the crushing pressure of being viewed as ‘less than’ when compared to men is to relive it all by watching the news, so yeah, I just throw on The Handmaid’s Tale to relax and zone out, and transport myself to a completely different place,” remarked another woman, Rebecca Farley, before her TV watching was interrupted by a knock at the door by referendum campaigners who were here to tell her only sinful sluts get abortions.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/05/01/women-of-ireland-to-watch-handmaids-tale-to-escape-grim-reality/?utm_source=WWN_Facebook_Page&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=Social_Link&utm_content=Article

• Love 7

It's all very emotional. There has even been a major passenger ferry that delayed it's crossing as the trains the voters were on in England and Wales were delayed. And there is just 95 minutes left until doors close and people we know still in the air trying to get back and into their polling stations on time. I just hope we pass it. It's been incredibly divisive and there are a huge amount of "Edens" here, with a lot of money, campaigning hard for us to retain the 8th amendment. Awful lies are being spread about by people who clearly don't even believe what they are saying but they are having some successes. To the point where they even used the image of a woman who died due to the 8th on posters claiming that the 8th would save other people from being like her!? It's a blatant lie, and a very nasty one for her family to have to hear about.

Hopefully we can remove the amendment and legislation will follow (though that will also be fought against). And then the country can move on and mostly forget about it. 

• Love 4

The other exit poll is 69.4% . It's mad. I'm so happy, most of my friends are so happy but we are a tiny bit cautious. Polls can be wrong, not ever this wrong, but even still it's nerve wracking. We're all in absolute shock, we thought it would be extremely close and that there was a good chance we'd lose. I'm not kidding but last night every single pole in my city was covered in new No posters, No banners on railings, some churches had 'every life is sacred' banners hanging up outside polling stations (which is illegal but they still did it), the Pope even announced a trip to Ireland with a seeming intention of whipping up bit of religious fervour ahead of the referendum (though the government held it earlier than expected, possibly because of the visit).

Tomorrow is going to be wonderful. I can't wait. We have a big count watching party planned with all other Yes canvassers. It was planned with the idea that we might need to spend a tense day together and maybe even commiserate together but it's just going to be such a celebration now. I'm so happy. I was 5 when this came into our constitution, I'm 39 now, I'm really glad that I'll get to spend the last years that this amendment could have affected me, free of it.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, AllyB said:

The other exit poll is 69.4% . It's mad. I'm so happy, most of my friends are so happy but we are a tiny bit cautious. Polls can be wrong, not ever this wrong, but even still it's nerve wracking. We're all in absolute shock, we thought it would be extremely close and that there was a good chance we'd lose. I'm not kidding but last night every single pole in my city was covered in new No posters, No banners on railings, some churches had 'every life is sacred' banners hanging up outside polling stations (which is illegal but they still did it), the Pope even announced a trip to Ireland with a seeming intention of whipping up bit of religious fervour ahead of the referendum (though the government held it earlier than expected, possibly because of the visit).

Tomorrow is going to be wonderful. I can't wait. We have a big count watching party planned with all other Yes canvassers. It was planned with the idea that we might need to spend a tense day together and maybe even commiserate together but it's just going to be such a celebration now. I'm so happy. I was 5 when this came into our constitution, I'm 39 now, I'm really glad that I'll get to spend the last years that this amendment could have affected me, free of it.

I don’t understand how those exit polls work, but bloody hell I hope they’re accurate. 

I know a Yes result is only the beginning, and the usual suspects will be out first thing on Monday trying to delay and obstruct and water down the eventual legislation. But I’ll certainly sleep a little easier tonight. 

• Love 3

The fact that there is two of them with almost identical results mean that the margin of error will likely be tiny, 1-2%. And such a strong mandate means there will be a real reluctance among all but the absolute extremist politicians to oppose the proposed legislation. Even accounting for delays it will be enacted by the end of the year. And the legislation is designed is so there will be no clinics, it's a GP and maternity hospital service, which will make picketing abortion services almost impossible. I can't believe we spent the last few months in fear of the 'silent No voters' when it appears that all the 'undecideds' were actually Yes voters. I'd started to suspect in the last few days that some of my older relatives who had stayed silent might be voting yes and I'd hoped it was a trend.

It's amazing how all the fear-mongering and horrific campaigning backfired. The No campaign really seem to have wildly misread the mood of the country and the way we think. I really hope their donors take their money and get lost. I was so angry earlier tonight thinking about all the money and effort that has been poured into our country with a goal of disrupting and manipulating our democratic process. Millions and millions of euros and hundreds, maybe thousands of young people being flown in to try and ensure we conform to some version of their morals. But yet all that money and effort gained them nothing. 

• Love 4

Tallies from my polling station showing over 70% yes! I'm so happy but also really, really sad that so many women have had to endure so much suffering over the last 35 years. That women like Savita Halappanavar, Aisha Chithira and Michelle Harte had to die so cruelly. My sadness at their deaths was tempered by anger but now that anger has receded and the sadness feels more profound. Today must be so hard and bittersweet for their families, they've won a type of justice but it will never bring the woman they loved back.

I'm also proud that we as a nation faced the best efforts of the Catholic Church, very wealthy American conservatives and their naive young supporters who they flooded the country with and the alt-right mens movement. And we told them resoundingly to get out of our business.

Bit of an emotional rollercoaster going on here today.

• Love 7
(edited)

Then there's THIS from the pedophiliac Virginian Congressional candidate:

In the manifesto, Larson called Nazi leader Adolf Hitler a “white supremacist hero.” He urged Congress to repeal the Violence Against Women Act, adding, “We need to switch to a system that classifies women as property, initially of their fathers and later of their husbands.” He also showed sympathy for men who identify as involuntary celibates, or incels, suggesting it is unfair that they “are forced to pay taxes for schools, welfare, and other support for other men’s children.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/congressional-candidate-virginia-admits-pedophile-011921211.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=fb

In “Let’s Define What Rape Is,” a 3,000-word essay posted on Nathania.org as well as other incel sites, Larson wrote: “Women are objects, to be taken care of by men like any other property, and for powerful men to insert themselves into as it pleases them, and as they believe will be in women’s own interests. In most cases, their interests are aligned, as long as the man is strong. Female sex-slaves actually get a much better deal than animals, because in most cases, they are allowed to reproduce, unlike animals raised for meat or companionship.”

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 2

Here's an article about how birthrates dropped in Afghanistan. This article was written in 2013, but I have to wonder if the show writers are using any of this information for inspiration. Interesting that THT book was written in the 1980s, before this really started being documented. Spooky. 

Fertility rate drops in Afghanistan, but will it continue?

The slide is especially significant considering that the Taliban did not allow girls to go to school, endorsed child brides and ignored women's health care.

• Love 1

@Clanstarling and anyone else who likes Mathew Rhys (most recently from The Americans.)

Since I'm paying for Hulu anyway, I happened to do a search there and found his mother's favorite thing, the show Mathew Rhys and Mathew Goode (another favorite of mine) did.  It's called The Wine Show.  I think he's only in the first season, since he booked The Americans.

In several interviews he's mentioned that show, and how much his mother loved it.  He also jokes about how drunk they would be early each day, and how difficult it was to find more ways to say "nice wine!" as they filmed, especially after several glasses or re-shoots.

I've enjoyed the episodes I've seen, they are very funny, and the travelogue part of things is kind of interesting.  The Moldavia episode is particularly good, being very Soviet-feeling even today.  Unfortunately, they are only in parts of it, but since we are paying for Hulu anyway?  Worth a watch.  It' also a lovely "palate cleanser" from watching Handmaid's Tale and the rather depressing story that is hitting very close to home now in the USA. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

@Clanstarling and anyone else who likes Mathew Rhys (most recently from The Americans.)

Since I'm paying for Hulu anyway, I happened to do a search there and found his mother's favorite thing, the show Mathew Rhys and Mathew Goode (another favorite of mine) did.  It's called The Wine Show.  I think he's only in the first season, since he booked The Americans.

In several interviews he's mentioned that show, and how much his mother loved it.  He also jokes about how drunk they would be early each day, and how difficult it was to find more ways to say "nice wine!" as they filmed, especially after several glasses or re-shoots.

I've enjoyed the episodes I've seen, they are very funny, and the travelogue part of things is kind of interesting.  The Moldavia episode is particularly good, being very Soviet-feeling even today.  Unfortunately, they are only in parts of it, but since we are paying for Hulu anyway?  Worth a watch.  It' also a lovely "palate cleanser" from watching Handmaid's Tale and the rather depressing story that is hitting very close to home now in the USA. 

Thanks! We pay for Hulu too, so we'll check it out. Palate cleansers are definitely welcome.

• Love 1

I have two things that are eating at me and reminding me of this show:

1. a news story I saw about schools in Florida recruiting civilians to serve as armed "monitors" in schools. What are they calling them? GUARDIANS. 

2. The US Attorney General Jeff Sessions quoting the Bible to justify the new policy by the Trump administration to kidnap children from their parents who attempt to enter the US "illegally." Thousands of children have been taken from their parents and are in detention centers. For those who say the society depicted in The Handmaids Tale could not happen in America, WAKE UP AND LOOK AROUND! It is happening right now!

I am enraged and feel helpless, but it can't be too late to stop this now. At least I hope not.

• Love 9
(edited)

Anyone else have any Gilead-watching rituals planned? We bought our weekly pint of ice cream. We find the episodes go down better with Rocky Road and chocolate sauce. Come on 12:01 am. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 2

I found an article in the National Post today, about how the City of Toronto is struggling to accommodate refugees entering Canada from the US. It has some discussion of current border treaties, the locations of several land crossings and  the economics of being the recipient of a sudden influx of refugees. I post it, not to get into current politics, but because these are all questions we’ve discussed on the boards (and often found lacking on the show) and I thought some might find it interesting to get a glimpse of how it works IRL. 

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-faces-having-to-close-community-centres-cancel-programs-to-house-migrant-tide-from-u-s 

• Love 1

Some women do oversupply milk, but there's also a belief that breastfeeding acts as natural birth control. I don't know of studies that prove it is, and I know a couple of women who became pregnant while they were breastfeeding under the belief that it was at least more difficult, and one woman who was told specifically by her doctor to stop breastfeeding her nearly two year old if she wanted to get pregnant again. And she did and she did the next month. 

My youngest nephew is living proof that breastfeeding is not reliable as birth control. 

• Love 4

Presumably the breastfeeding post has been moved from the episode thread? Breastfeeding is not a birth control but in most women it's common to have no period for at least the initial months of breastfeeding. For some the lack of periods last until they completely finish breastfeeding, for others it will last until the baby sleeps through the night or reduces need for milk through establishing eating solid food. While you have no cycle you can't conceive. The thing is though, that you will have no warning that your cycle is about to restart. So the month that your cycle restarts you will ovulate and probably not have a clue. That's when you can get pregnant. It's also possible that you could have a restarted cycle and not realise as your periods are so light you don't recognise them as a normal period. My periods restarted when my son was 8 months old but even now are still incredibly light that they are basically just spotting on and off for 3 days.

• Love 1

We had our second Papal visit in Ireland at the weekend. The first was in 1979. In 79 over 33% of the entire national population attended the papal mass. With another 33% attending other large scale events in his honour. Today a figure of less than 2.7% of the population did the same. (And that figure includes tourists from over 70 countries who came this weekend to attend the mass.) His popemobile toured through largely empty streets as sparse crowds came to see him. Meanwhile tens of thousands of people held vigils and demonstrations to remember the imprisoned women who's babies were stolen and the abused, stolen and murdered children.

I can't describe the utter relief and hope this outcome has made me feel. It's almost better than the results of our last two referendums (marriage equality and abortion). Those obviously brought about significant positive change, but the lack of interest the public has shown in the Pope is the first very real, solid proof that this is not a Catholic country. While also making it clear that we aren't going to forget or accept the crimes committed against women and children and then covered-up to protect their abusers.

• Love 4
On 26/8/2018 at 11:11 PM, AllyB said:

We had our second Papal visit in Ireland at the weekend. The first was in 1979. In 79 over 33% of the entire national population attended the papal mass. With another 33% attending other large scale events in his honour. Today a figure of less than 2.7% of the population did the same. (And that figure includes tourists from over 70 countries who came this weekend to attend the mass.) His popemobile toured through largely empty streets as sparse crowds came to see him. Meanwhile tens of thousands of people held vigils and demonstrations to remember the imprisoned women who's babies were stolen and the abused, stolen and murdered children.

I can't describe the utter relief and hope this outcome has made me feel. It's almost better than the results of our last two referendums (marriage equality and abortion). Those obviously brought about significant positive change, but the lack of interest the public has shown in the Pope is the first very real, solid proof that this is not a Catholic country. While also making it clear that we aren't going to forget or accept the crimes committed against women and children and then covered-up to protect their abusers.

The weather and the walking distances required probably had some effect on the numbers. But yes, it was certainly a far cry from 1979. (Pretty much all I remember about that visit was that we got the Monday off school, so yay!)

(edited)

So I'm watching the FIFA Women's World Cup Final because, history, right? 

But I gotta say, some people think baseball is boring... to me, this is beyond tedious. I'm amusing myself by imagining the handmaids playing soccer in their long red dresses and workboots.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 2

A friend of mine started binge-watching, over the last couple of days. She started season two last night, and I warned her that was when I started to read spoilers. She said this tonight:

"All this is is one rage stroke after another. Not my favorite show."

Found something else interesting on HULU.  This documentary about the triplets separated at birth (which I knew about) but also that this was a scientific "study" to deliberately break up twins and triplets of Jewish women who had mental issues.

It's pretty shocking, and goes far beyond the mere "triplets find each other during college" stuff.

https://www.hulu.com/watch/438d26ae-629e-495e-ad09-a4d41f36889d

Three Identical Strangers

In regard to experience in the legal field interfering in the ability to enjoy fictional TV legal dramas:

For those old enough to remember The Practice, which had a couple of incredibly entertaining years, my stopping point was when a stalker of one of the lawyers showed up in the office with a SEVERED HEAD in a medical bag. Now, I've seen a lot, but bitch, please.

Plus, David E. Kelley had most if not all of the women on the show victimized, raped (one raped multiple times IIRC), and otherwise terrorized. Thanks for showing us who you are, David.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

In regard to experience in the legal field interfering in the ability to enjoy fictional TV legal dramas:

For those old enough to remember The Practice, which had a couple of incredibly entertaining years, my stopping point was when a stalker of one of the lawyers showed up in the office with a SEVERED HEAD in a medical bag. Now, I've seen a lot, but bitch, please.

Plus, David E. Kelley had most if not all of the women on the show victimized, raped (one raped multiple times IIRC), and otherwise terrorized. Thanks for showing us who you are, David.

I've heard some very unflattering, to say the least, things about Kelley. The rape storylines don't surprise me. 

I love Law&Order SVU, but it's gotten harder and harder to maintain a suspension of disbelief over the past few seasons. I think it's hilarious that a crime will happen and they'll be in trial before the wounds even stop bleeding. I know we're entitled to quick justice, but dang...

I think I my have wandered away from The Practice before the head in the bag incident, since I don't remember it.  Or maybe I wiped it from my memory in disgust. I try not to get too upset about small mistakes, because I know where they come from.  A friend of mine was once legal advisor for a tv show, and told me she tired of it really fast because they wouldn't listen to her.  She told them, for example, that Canadian judges don't use gavels, but gavels look "cool", so into the show they went.  And that was a minor one.

We all have different breaking points and I think our tolerance is dependent on what we think of a show overall.  I recently rewatched the movie In The Name of the Father and still loved it despite a couple of glaring errors (eg, even though the real life lawyer played by Emma Thompson was a solicitor and not a barrister and would not have been in court, if she was going to be in court, she should have been wigged and gowned; the final verdict is pronounced in such a way that it actually means the opposite of what the writer intended). On the other hand, I can't ever rewatch the mildly engaging Devil's Advocate, because the ending is premised on (keeping it vague for the spoiler-sensitive) what I consider to be a shocking breach of legal ethics that the audience is supposed to applaud.  Mileage varies.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trillian said:

I think I my have wandered away from The Practice before the head in the bag incident, since I don't remember it.  Or maybe I wiped it from my memory in disgust. I try not to get too upset about small mistakes, because I know where they come from.  A friend of mine was once legal advisor for a tv show, and told me she tired of it really fast because they wouldn't listen to her.  She told them, for example, that Canadian judges don't use gavels, but gavels look "cool", so into the show they went.  And that was a minor one.

We all have different breaking points and I think our tolerance is dependent on what we think of a show overall.  I recently rewatched the movie In The Name of the Father and still loved it despite a couple of glaring errors (eg, even though the real life lawyer played by Emma Thompson was a solicitor and not a barrister and would not have been in court, if she was going to be in court, she should have been wigged and gowned; the final verdict is pronounced in such a way that it actually means the opposite of what the writer intended). On the other hand, I can't ever rewatch the mildly engaging Devil's Advocate, because the ending is premised on (keeping it vague for the spoiler-sensitive) what I consider to be a shocking breach of legal ethics that the audience is supposed to applaud.  Mileage varies.

Shew, I can't watch the Devil's Advocate because of Keanu's wooden acting. He's a beautiful man, and by all accounts a wonderful human being, but "Bill and Ted" will forever be his best work. 

The tolerance level does vary based on how much you like the show. I loved "Lost", and I can put up a lot of bullshit from it. Time travel, unnecessary flashbacks, the fascinating way that they dropped storylines like hot stones...I'll put up with all that nonsense because I love the show. My husband, on the other hand, thinks it tests his suspension of disbelief too much. 

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, kieyra said:

I'm an IT professional, so 'on television, computers are magic' is something I had to learn to live with a long time ago. 🙂

Like Penelope Garcia's magic computer on CRIMINAL MINDS? They don't even need the profilers anymore. They'll be like, "Garcia, find me a list of all the men beween the ages of 18-40 who learned to walk when they were 3, drives a GMC Denali with brown leather seats, and hates asparagus." Two minutes after typing into her computer, she's got the name of the killer. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I love Law&Order SVU, but it's gotten harder and harder to maintain a suspension of disbelief over the past few seasons. I think it's hilarious that a crime will happen and they'll be in trial before the wounds even stop bleeding. I know we're entitled to quick justice, but dang...

I stopped watching way back because I couldn't stand Stabler anymore. I used to love Mariska but the plots were too much. Every "perp" seemed to have infinite resources to hire public defenders who had infinite time to do pro-bono work because First Amendment of some other shit. Or the judges who were oh so gullible, believing every crap the plot threw at them.Then I tried to watch again just to see Benson tired. She just looked tired and bored. 

22 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Like Penelope Garcia's magic computer on CRIMINAL MINDS? They don't even need the profilers anymore. They'll be like, "Garcia, find me a list of all the men beween the ages of 18-40 who learned to walk when they were 3, drives a GMC Denali with brown leather seats, and hates asparagus." Two minutes after typing into her computer, she's got the name of the killer. 

That's another show that I gave up after a while because the super computer and the bad acting when typing became a peeve of mine. Also, another example when the perps have infinite resources and infinite time, all the money and escape routes until the very end. And some of them live on air I guess? Garcia was the worst, the baby girl annoyance and and and. I could go forever with the stuff that annoyed me on that show. Oh, and Super JJ, who apparently almost was the one to take down Bin Laden! From glorified press secretary to national hero in one year. Once Paget left, so did I because I was watching for the shallow, and my shallow was full of Paget. But I wasn't able to go back.

Now, what I can't with shows is the disability inspiration porn and lack of interest from the producers to talk to actually disabled people, let alone hire them to play disabled characters (it got better, but only slightly). Could never get into Parenthood because it made me physically ill, their stigmatizing idea of an Autistic character. Max was cute in the first season. Then he became an insufferable robot, as if autism was to blame, not that he was an asshole because he was an asshole. Being around autistics all the time, autism does't make you an ass, even if some autistics are assholes.

• Useful 1
57 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

That's another show that I gave up after a while because the super computer and the bad acting when typing became a peeve of mine. Also, another example when the perps have infinite resources and infinite time, all the money and escape routes until the very end. And some of them live on air I guess? Garcia was the worst, the baby girl annoyance and and and. I could go forever with the stuff that annoyed me on that show. Oh, and Super JJ, who apparently almost was the one to take down Bin Laden! From glorified press secretary to national hero in one year. Once Paget left, so did I because I was watching for the shallow, and my shallow was full of Paget. But I wasn't able to go back.

I gave it up fairly early on - they put too many families and children in jeopardy. That was my trigger. Though Garcia was a close second.

• Love 1

I actually gave up on anything FBI and law enforcement because in real life I know what they do and I am still to be convinced they (the institutions, individuals require more nuanced analysis) are the “good guys”. 

Racists and protecting property (of the rich and powerful) while harassing minorities and activists. I can’t help it, the shows became too much of a fantasy masking the real life almost dystopia we are living in for me to enjoy.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

I actually gave up on anything FBI and law enforcement because in real life I know what they do and I am still to be convinced they (the institutions, individuals require more nuanced analysis) are the “good guys”. 

Racists and protecting property (of the rich and powerful) while harassing minorities and activists. I can’t help it, the shows became too much of a fantasy masking the real life almost dystopia we are living in for me to enjoy.

Yeah. I was just discussing this with a friend earlier:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-police-union-is-telling-cops-to-use-the-punishers-log-1836312866

(We live in an area that has a lot of Punisher stickers on trucks.)

• Love 2

I got mad at Criminal Minds back when they set an episode in my area and went typical Hollywood with "my people" missing teeth, cooking meth, living in wood shacks, and getting it on with their relatives. Plus they pronounced "Appalachia" wrong. I was so disappointed in Matthew Gray Gubler (who I did love) for directing the episode and the others for partaking in it. Hollywood doesn't know what to do with my area so they usually fall back on stereotypes. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kieyra said:

Yeah. I was just discussing this with a friend earlier:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-police-union-is-telling-cops-to-use-the-punishers-log-1836312866

(We live in an area that has a lot of Punisher stickers on trucks.)

That is a terrifying article. It, and other similar news about law enforcement officers getting together in their "private" online groups (and really, what morons, it's called the World Wide Web for a reason) make me feel sick. I'm sorry you're dealing with this in your home area.

It reminds me of questions many of us expressed on these boards during S1 of THT - how does a takeover like Gilead happen? Part of it is that some members of law enforcement are gung ho to oppress people who they see as inferior.

• Love 5

I had a nightmare last night that I was a Handmaid and Ben Sharpio was my commander.  Weirdly Desiree Seigfried (former Bachelorette) was his wife.  I need to get off Twitter before I fall asleep!  🙂 

• LOL 4

I just got an Amazon Fire tablet yesterday and The Handmaid's Tale (the novel) was the first free download I was offered (how did they know?). So I'll be reading it again for the first time since it came out so many years ago and will probably watch S1 again.

For the record, I did NOT activate Alexa. I won't have Amazon spying on me in my own home (at least not voluntarily).

• Love 5