Type keyword(s) to search

The Selection - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm happy to finally see a thread for this show, too!  Last night's episode was fairly intense and they had a lot of tap-outs.  I wonder how many will make it to the end...?

I liked that the instructors spoke kindly to each of them after they tapped out, before they left.  I'm sure that those words meant a lot, to most of them.

• Love 2

The thing about #11 (I hate calling them #s), I feel like he has lived a life of missing chances. His desire is so clear and so laser focused.  I think that this guy could have made it through real Seal/Ranger training. For me he is the most focused. When he repeated the oath, it was a monumental moment-it took my breath away. I think it was the most seminal moments on reality television I have ever seen. It was real, it was raw, and it was true, and it meant something to him. I thought it was telling that they didn't have either of the instructors say anything after he left and they kept to a long shot. I think that they were moved by it and couldn't say anything. I will have to watch that episode again. His disclosure of the sexual abuse was really important for him and for other survivors to hear. It takes tremendous courage to come forward like that. I just adore this guy. He is already the winner in my book. 

1 hour ago, Ocean Chick said:

I love #11 as well.  Seems well grounded.  I felt bad for #30 - he had the heart.  He just didn't have the muscle mass.

Who was #30? I didn't watch last night yet, but I loved the heart that the small Asian guy had. I really wanted him to make it. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Ok, I have been dying for this thread. I am in TV love with #11 (Christian, I think). He was featured last week in a debrief and his personal story had me crying. I just find him so compelling. 

Yes, I think his name is Christian.  He's awesome, I'm glad he's still there; forty-five years old, awesome.

Only 8 out of 20 still there.  How many episodes are there?  I wonder how many will make it to the end.

• Love 2

I don't know if this show is meant to be funny, but I laugh out loud sometimes at how seriously these instructors take themselves.  I don't think they realise how funny or stupid they really look.

just finished watching a very similar show - SAS so I am interested to see the differences (if any) between this (American) compared to the British SAS one.

so far the tasks are the same but the SAS leave most of the interrogation work until the end of the course when the participants are mentally and physically almost broken

*hipster jesus makes me think of Fidel castro

I was rooting for #20 (guy who had his toenail removed) - he was the team leader in the beginning, got tossed and kept trying to prove himself.   I wouldn't have lasted 3 seconds in any of the "captured" scenarios, so they are all doing well at this point and I'm glad that when they go, they're getting positive feedback. 

I also felt for #30 - big heart but physically unable to do the challenges.

Though I find the show interesting, with the exception of #11 and the one woman left, everyone else is sort of a blur.  I did laugh at the guys who were fervently whispering when they were in the hidey holes, reminded me of kids hiding "they don't see us?? where are they" LOL

• Love 2
11 hours ago, raven said:

I did laugh at the guys who were fervently whispering when they were in the hidey holes, reminded me of kids hiding "they don't see us?? where are they" LOL

Oh I know!  I want to think that they were urged by the producers to say those kinds of things for the benefit of the camera before their construction time was up at 2 am, otherwise the instructors would have had an easy time finding them because the crew's cameras would have been pointed right where the rosters were hiding.

I have been extremely impressed with the insight shown by the participants in their "interrogation" interviews. #11 is a particularly incredible guy. I want to buy him a beer.

On a personal note, something one of the instructors said a few weeks ago has really stuck with me: something like "there's a difference between quitting and failure." I can use that a lot in my personal training career and in my own personal workouts and life in general.

• Love 4

I thought tonight's episode was good.  I thought that the water challenges were going to be worse. Then again, while I'm extremely comfortable in the water, I never would've made through the previous "locked in a tiny box" challenge!

I like all of the "rosters" and I was sad to see 3 of them leave tonight.  I give the last one the credit for even trying the 5-minute drown-proofing for the second time. I was cheering him on, out loud! :D

I'm very impressed with the woman, roster #2 I think. 

I liked hearing the one instructor say that while they don't think of them as friends, that by the end of the process they're are people that he'd "like to work with".  I guess that's the closest thing to inferring friendship as they want to say.

• Love 3

I agree that the water comps are brutal. There is a great documentary on the Navy Seals and their training techniques that I often show to my psych students about the impact of stress and even the military noted that their fail rate was higher than they expected (on pool comp) so they came up with a 4 pronged approach to dealing with cognition and how to cope with the stress response. If anyone is interested it is here on YouTube.  All the pool comp stuff that they show are pretty similar.  

• Love 3

I thought the water challenge was very interesting.  But correct me if I'm wrong, the more muscle-bound you are, the more likely you are to sink.  I remember in 9 feet of water, I tried to stay down but kept surfacing.  The lifeguard told me that when people have extra ounces of fat on them, especially us women, it's harder to stay under, you just keep popping up. 

Correct or not?

• Love 1
Just now, Neurochick said:

I thought the water challenge was very interesting.  But correct me if I'm wrong, the more muscle-bound you are, the more likely you are to sink.  I remember in 9 feet of water, I tried to stay down but kept surfacing.  The lifeguard told me that when people have extra ounces of fat on them, especially us women, it's harder to stay under, you just keep popping up. 

Correct or not?

Correct.  Muscle is denser than fat.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Correct or not?

I would say that may play a part for sure, but what one of the Instructors said, is that the people who expelled all of their air quickly, would drop like a rock. He saw that as a sign of less experience in the water or swimming. It seemed like some of the early passers (the female I think I saw doing this), expelled the water slower, sank a little slower, but still had air in their lungs to help propel them on the upside and then still have air to push out as part of the "breathing" cycle. However, maybe someone who is a skilled swimmer or diver can comment? (I am not!). 

• Love 1

No way could I have done that water stuff in this ep. I am terrible in water. I was *by far* (like, extremely far) the worst in my "learn basic SCUBA" class at the resort in Jamaica where I vacationed.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 2
On 1/3/2017 at 1:24 PM, ClareWalks said:

"there's a difference between quitting and failure."

Do the instructors mean that someone quitting is worse than someone who failed on the water tests and was kicked out? I didn't get his point.

It's interesting that some of the instructors singled #11/Christian out on the first day as someone they felt would go far. It's also possible they were filmed saying that about every recruit. ;)

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, lordonia said:

Do the instructors mean that someone quitting is worse than someone who failed on the water tests and was kicked out? I didn't get his point.

I believe he meant that choosing to quit doesn't make one a failure, it just means they didn't have it that day.

• Love 3

What was the name the instructors kept giving to the exercises they were doing in this episode?  It was a one-word term and it's bugging me that I can't remember what it is.

Edited by Canada
Just now, ShowsILoveToHate said:

"Drown-proofing" is the term that I remember them saying.

Drown-proofing was one word they used, but not the one I'm thinking of.  It ended in 'es', like directives or exercises, something like that.  Not those words, but something similar.

18 minutes ago, Canada said:

Drown-proofing was one word they used, but not the one I'm thinking of.  It ended in 'es', like directives or exercises, something like that.  Not those words, but something similar.

I remember that too now! lol  But I can't remember the word they used.  I'm going to have to rewatch this episode to see if I can catch what they said.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Canada said:

What was the name the instructors kept giving to the exercises they were doing in this episode?

BUDS, I think.  

I was bummed to see more go, I'm super comfortable in the water so none of what they did last night would have phased me, but I was rooting for the guys who had trouble; I really wanted them all to pass.  

Still hoping 3 and 11 make it to the end.

For those who aren't aware, this is a remake of a British show called "SAS: Who Dares Wins" which has had two seasons already. The Brits also did a show called "Special Forces: Ultimate Hell Week" where they brought in special forces vets from other countries to test the contestants. One of the American SEALS from that show is "Ray" on The Selection. You can also look for a series called "Navy SEALS: BUDS Class 234" which was on Discovery Channel.

All very similar in that it's civilians being tested to the extreme by people you wouldn't want to cross.

• Love 2

Just caught up on this awesome show now that I have cable.

Was sad to see the crazy single mom go, and several of the others. 

I'm struck, even at my advanced age, at how HOT these instructors are.  Making the armed forces look good!

• Love 3

I'm struck, even at my advanced age, at how HOT these instructors are

LOL I know.  The participants as well.  I shouldn't be surprised, you have to be in good physical shape for this kind of thing.

I know I'm sappy, I still feel for the ones who try so hard and don't make it.  It is tough to run up against that obstacle, whether mental or physical, and not be able to get over it.

On 1/6/2017 at 8:29 PM, lordonia said:
On 1/3/2017 at 1:24 PM, ClareWalks said:

Do the instructors mean that someone quitting is worse than someone who failed on the water tests and was kicked out?

Yes, I think what they are saying is if you give it your all and fail (unable to complete) that is different than not trying at all (quitting).

• Love 5

#3, bummer.  She couldn't compartmentalize enough and it appeared she didn't catch on that getting picked on more was just a head game and not really a comment about her physical performance; her teammates were supportive, I really doubt they'd think she was letting them down because she came in last.

• Love 4

Did we know that #3 was in some kind of relationship with that other recruit? I was sorry to lose her but her body just crapped out.

I felt really bad for the guy who broke down when he talked about being in the box. That psychological shit will get you.

I have to think the producers were behind the scenes begging the instructors to ease up a bit or else they might not have any recruits left with more episodes to fill.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, lordonia said:

Did we know that #3 was in some kind of relationship with that other recruit?

Yep, they first mentioned a few episodes ago that 2 and 3 are engaged. I'm impressed she lasted that long. Considering she maybe weighs 120 lb, carrying 50 lb for 8 miles is no joke. She was one tough broad. The instructors talk a lot about "one standard" and I totally understand why, and I even agree, but biologically there are massive differences in brute strength between men and women. Holding a woman to the same standard as a man means she is actually expected to do FAR more than a normal woman is capable of, while a man might only have to do somewhat more than a normal man could.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

She was one tough broad.

No shit!  I was sooo impressed with her (not that she cares, LOL) and I hope she is proud of herself in the end.  Not everyone can do the same things physically and she pushed herself, which is what the instructors wanted and garnered their respect. 

#12 being emotional about being the box - I didn't expect that.  I love how the instructors have blank faces when hearing all of this stuff. 

Unfortunately with #3  gone, the rest of them blend together except for #11.  I like the little bonding conversations.

• Love 4
On January 13, 2017 at 9:03 AM, ClareWalks said:

The instructors talk a lot about "one standard" and I totally understand why, and I even agree, but biologically there are massive differences in brute strength between men and women. Holding a woman to the same standard as a man means she is actually expected to do FAR more than a normal woman is capable of, while a man might only have to do somewhat more than a normal man could.

Very, very true.  As I watch these tough instructors, it makes me think:  If men had to bleed for five days a month, every month, for forty years could they take it?  Could men take pushing a baby out of their bodies?  Could they deal with menopause and childbirth and what if men had to stick their penises in a vice once a year (that's what a mammogram feels like to me)?  

• Love 3

Gulp - unpopular opinion time, maybe.

Could men do all these things? Certainly we could, if our bodies had been biologically designed to work that way. It's not like women do these things by strength of will or something, right?

I'll go duck for cover now.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:31 PM, SirOsisOfLiver said:

Could men do all these things? Certainly we could, if our bodies had been biologically designed to work that way. It's not like women do these things by strength of will or something, right?

You're right, of course. You play the hand you're dealt. But I think Neurochick's point (and she can correct me if I'm wrong) is that things like PMS, childbirth, and menopause are dismissed or even joked about by men, and if they had to experience them we women might get a little more respect.

Back to the show, I applaud you folks that are watching it.  I can tune it for maybe 5 minutes, and then it becomes too much for me.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I really like the 5 guys we have left. I felt bad for #17 for miscounting in the integrity challenge. I doubt he intentionally skipped 2 burpees. That's why they tell you, though, to count them out loud. 

I like that the other guys figured that out, they were supportive and none of them dragged him for missing two.  They are bonding into a team.  I have to wonder about High IQ guy's logic for wearing boots that are too small, I'd rather have boots a little big and stuff them with rags than cramp my feet and rub my toes raw. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

I like that the other guys figured that out, they were supportive and none of them dragged him for missing two.  They are bonding into a team.  I have to wonder about High IQ guy's logic for wearing boots that are too small, I'd rather have boots a little big and stuff them with rags than cramp my feet and rub my toes raw. 

I wonder if he's a rock climber. They were very small, tight shoes to better grip with. 

I'm out.

They **claim** to be equal "2016" and all that, but I noticed they treated all the women worse than most of the men (in the "ocean challenge", they set up the teams to make it near impossible for the two women to do the portage. Last week, they called #3 a quitter, and instead of the "you should be proud", they kicked her for not doing the impossible and barely spoke to her at her exit.

Then this week, they stressed over and over (I think at least 4 times) to do 50 of each exercise. In what world does 48 = 50?

But he's a "perfect 5", so no harm no foul. Sorry, guys, you failed YOUR integrity check.

Edited by jhlipton
Formatting
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

Congrats to the four survivors, and I'm glad 11 is among them.  

He's still the only one I could reliably identify!

I hope they all passed their internal hurdles and proved to themselves whatever it was they needed to prove. That sounds snarky but it's not.

• Love 5

Congrats to the finishers.  I liked how 19 ran up and hugged 12 at the end, and the look of shock when told he had finished.  That hill was brutal. 

I'm a total sap for the 11 and 2 urging each other and staying together and making it to the end together.  I wonder if any of the guys have formed permanent bonds with each other.

Edited by raven
  • Love 5
Just now, raven said:

I'm a total sap for the 11 and 2 urging each other and staying together and making it to the end together.  I wonder if any of the guys have formed permanent bonds with each other.

I fast-forwarded through all the tripe ("hey, now that it's time to escape, I've found a way we could have used hours ago!"), but when they actually encouraged the final 5 to finish as "individuals", I knew these guys were more fake than before.  They are a team and true SEALS (or Green Berets or whatever) don't leave a man (or a woman) behind.  All the Instructors and the final four can live out Sean Haggerty's wet dream.

• Love 2