Type keyword(s) to search

What's Your Poison?: Beer, Wine and Spirits

biakbiak
  • Start Topic

(edited)
22 hours ago, ennui said:

Do you mean Domaine Chandon Blanc de Noir? Nectar of the gods. Beautiful winery, as well.

Just saw a commercial for the Coravin Wine Saver. The ad mentioned a $50 coupon, so I knew it was too expensive for me. Google tells me it's around $299, and I could buy a lot of wine for $299

Yeah it is. Too much for me also. At Ridge they were using it on an '88 Monte Bello. 

It was the first red wine that Mr. G really liked. "Holy shit, now I know why people go crazy over wine!" was what he said after tasting it.

Edited by Giselle
Clarity
  • Love 1
On 5/27/2017 at 9:37 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Since you clearly enjoy bubbles so much, what is your favorite champagne? I'm fond of Tattingers and love the Moët and Chandon Rose but don't have the budget to enjoy as much as I'd like to lol!! 

I feel like my at home, dependable sparkling wines on a budget are La Marca Prosecco, but I'll pop for Veuve if I want to celebrate.  At restaurants, I love trying new ones, but I really do think the French make superior sparkling wines.  When it comes to rose wines, I prefer one with grenache as the main grape.

I'm totally obsessed with sparkling reds at the moment, I really wish I paid better attention to labels, especially because sparkling reds are a minefield of uber sweet concoctions, so I have a very specific place I buy wine because their staff is more knowledgeable.  I've tried several that I like, but I still prefer the Chandon Sparkling Red I had at their winery in Napa.  It's really a beautiful wine.

All this aside, I will drink the hell out of a $5 cava and be extremely happy about it.

Has anyone else tried a "Chambong?"  It's a bong for classy champagne drinkers like myself.  It's an amazing gift for others AND yourself.

Classy AF

• Love 2
18 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

Has anyone else tried a "Chambong?"  It's a bong for classy champagne drinkers like myself.

I have to wonder ... why? Or is this the same luxury goods developer who brought us the beer bong? 

Whatever happened to the delicate flirt who giggled and said "the bubbles tickle my nose"?

On 5/30/2017 at 3:40 PM, ennui said:

I have to wonder ... why? Or is this the same luxury goods developer who brought us the beer bong? 

Whatever happened to the delicate flirt who giggled and said "the bubbles tickle my nose"?

Well, if you chug champagne, the carbonation makes it come out your nose if you go too fast.  The Chambong helps you swiftly drink an entire glass of champagne in moments through some kind of science-y physics thing that I can't explain.  I did a few at my birthday party, NYE, etc.  It's a fun party gag.

(edited)
On 5/13/2017 at 8:34 PM, ennui said:

I have a souvenir shot glass that says "Eat, Drink and Be Merry for Tomorrow You May Be in Utah."  :)

"Utah faces growing opposition over a newly-passed drunk driving law that lowers the legal blood alcohol limit from 0.08 to 0.05. That makes it the lowest threshold in the nation, and the law is set to go into effect late next year. 

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says an average 160-pound man would be considered legally drunk under the new law after drinking just two drinks in one hour. 

"Businesses are already fighting back with a new ad campaign that's aggressive, warning tourists traveling to Utah: "Come for vacation, leave on probation" – a jab at the state's new drunk driving law, reports CBS News correspondent Carter Evans."

Edited by ennui
added quotation marks for clarity
  • Love 1

I've intended to ask this for a while now. A neighbor gave me a pretty bottle of her homemade limoncello. I have never had it before and yuck! I put it in the freezer as she advised and a few weeks later took a sip. What in the world am I going to make with this stuff?

You can mail it to me.

I am not sure that you would like the things you could make with it if you don't like the taste but I have made a sorbet, a lemon tart and cookies with it. Sometimes I poured some over vanilla ice cream.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I've intended to ask this for a while now. A neighbor gave me a pretty bottle of her homemade limoncello. I have never had it before and yuck! I put it in the freezer as she advised and a few weeks later took a sip. What in the world am I going to make with this stuff?

Yum!! I'll take some too!!!  

A sorbet would be fantastic with it. I've also used limoncello in a parfait. I brush the cake with the limoncello and top it with fruit and whipped cream.  It also might be a good lemon bar? 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

What don't you like about it? Too sweet, too sour? Too much vodka? Maybe we can help you temper it to your likening.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I would make "adult" lemonade; that would disguise the taste. I've never tried limoncello; I hear George Clooney really likes it, send it to him.

• Love 1

Thanks for all your responses! I "flove" lemon, I love booze, but maybe it's too much vodka? After a few sips, I have a headache. And I'm embarrassed to say that I'm no slouch when it comes to cocktails...from what I remember. Ha! My absolute favorite cocktail is the lemon drop martini at Per Se in NYC.

Since lemon is my favorite flavor, I can't pinpoint why I don't like it. When I didn't like it straight, I put a small amount in a glass with ice and topped with club soda and didn't care for it. I think I will try previous suggestions and do a parfait, sorbet, maybe a mousse. Cheers to everyone who responded. 

When I make limoncello it takes several weeks for all the flavors to meld together. I would keep it in a cold dark place & check it out in a month's time.  It does mellow out over time.

• Love 1
On 6/4/2017 at 7:27 PM, Spunkygal said:

Thanks for all your responses! I "flove" lemon, I love booze, but maybe it's too much vodka? After a few sips, I have a headache.

Sometimes, the homemade versions of liqueurs just aren't as good. I never cared for homemade Kahlua. Maybe your friend didn't use lemons from Amalfi.  :) 

(edited)

I bought a bottle of orange wine last year. I know rose wines are meant to be drunk and not stored, but I can't find any info on the orange wines. Anyone?

June 14 was National Bourbon Day. I missed it. I'll have to remember that next year.

June 11 was National Rose Wine Day. I missed that, too. 

Edited by ennui
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:29 PM, ennui said:

I bought a bottle of orange wine last year. I know rose wines are meant to be drunk and not stored, but I can't find any info on the orange wines. Anyone?

June 14 was National Bourbon Day. I missed it. I'll have to remember that next year.

June 11 was National Rose Wine Day. I missed that, too. 

I didn't know June 11 was National Rose Wine Day, but after a visit to Provence last June, I've been drinking rose during the summer. I've had at least 1 glass a day since May 31st. I love the Cotes de Provence, but am enjoying roses in Italy right now, although Prosecco is also becoming a favorite in the heat we are having in Florence. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/5/2017 at 9:46 AM, ariel said:

What don't you like about it? Too sweet, too sour? Too much vodka? Maybe we can help you temper it to your likening.

Limoncello is traditionally made with grappa. @Spunkygal, maybe it's the grappa that you don't like! 

ETA: Grappa is made from grapes, vodka is (usually) not.

Edited by NutMeg
  • Love 1

Thanks to you all who have tried to figure out why the limoncello didn't suit me. The neighbor used Meyer lemons from her tree, it had time to mellow since she gave it to me at the holidays, and I am only assuming she used vodka instead of grappa. I love lemon but decided to pass the limoncello to my cousin and her husband. I guess I just don't have the taste for that liqueur. 

But I do love Angostura bitters. I ran out of club soda for my Sunday night cocktail of whiskey and soda so put a few drops of angostura in my whiskey and water. Not bad. Anyone else a fan of bitters?

@Spunkygal Last Christmas I was given a present of 6 different bitters. It was called "The Bitter Truth" ' Cocktails Bitters Traveler's Set. So many different flavors...creole  (good in Bloody Mary's), celery (stews) and orange to name three. I'm not used to using them so am introducing slowly, but hopefully I can incorporate them into my  repotoire. 

What is the lastest craze in cocktails? Or apps that you eat (not cheese and crackers or hummus route as now it's been done and I need to be more inventive) to go with wine or drinks?  I'm meeting new neighbors and need to do well by them , as they have put the standard high. Way High!! 

I wrap water chesnuts in half a slice of bacon, secure with a toothpick, and the marinade in low salt soy with minced garlic. Broil after until crispy and it's a quick easy appetizer. Sorry to go off subject. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/18/2017 at 11:47 PM, Mindthinkr said:

@Spunkygal Last Christmas I was given a present of 6 different bitters. It was called "The Bitter Truth" ' Cocktails Bitters Traveler's Set. So many different flavors...creole  (good in Bloody Mary's), celery (stews) and orange to name three. I'm not used to using them so am introducing slowly, but hopefully I can incorporate them into my  repotoire. 

What is the lastest craze in cocktails? Or apps that you eat (not cheese and crackers or hummus route as now it's been done and I need to be more inventive) to go with wine or drinks?  I'm meeting new neighbors and need to do well by them , as they have put the standard high. Way High!! 

I wrap water chesnuts in half a slice of bacon, secure with a toothpick, and the marinade in low salt soy with minced garlic. Broil after until crispy and it's a quick easy appetizer. Sorry to go off subject. 

Bourbon or gin cocktails are the latest craze, in my opinion.  Or, at least, they've got a big enough following in large cities where they're opening gin bars and bourbon bars.  

I think "vintage" cocktails are making a comeback.  One of my favorite places in the world is called Parson's Chicken & Fish in Chicago, and they serve a frozen Negroni, and it is FANTASTIC.  I also really love this place in Cleveland called Porco where they have Tiki drinks that are NOT sugary sweet and flavorless, rather you should call a designated driver if you have more than 1!!

Southern food is super trendy right now.  Things like hush puppies and pimento cheese are popping up on menus all over the place and they're so easy to make at home.  I think flatbreads are another super easy cocktail bite to make, and you can make a bunch of variations.  I love combinations like carmelized onions with gorgonzola and gruyere, or a fig and prosciutto, or even just heating the flatbread or grilling it, then topping it with fresh ricotta, olive oil, maybe some arugula and beets.  But no sauces!  Just a brush of olive oil or flavored olive oil.  

If you are ambitious, bake your own pretzels, make a gourmet cheese sauce dip, or a hot mustard dip, and serve it with a flight of craft beer.  YUM TO THE MAX.  

Have you ever tried baking bacon with brown sugar and nuts.  It's like bacon candy, you can make it in advance, and it's amazing.  

BTW, my mom makes that same kind of app and everyone DIES for it.  Like, waits for her to arrive at holiday parties with it and put 5 or more on their plates.

Edited by larapu2000
  • Love 2
On 2017-06-18 at 11:47 PM, Mindthinkr said:

What is the lastest craze in cocktails?

I think one big trend I've noticed is small batch or atypical bitters. I know there a couple local "artisanal" makers of bitters in my area. I do not make enough cocktails to warrant buying them but you can research using alternative bitters in your favourite standard cocktails. Pinging @Spunkygal too since I know they like bitters.

• Love 2

Mother Superior called all the nuns together and said to them, "I must tell you all something We have a case of gonorrhea in the convent." "Thank God," said an elderly nun at the back. "I'm so tired of chardonnay."

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Has anyone tried any of the new hard sparkling waters?

Sorry no, but I have tried Twisted Tea and have to say that it's not too bad. Or should I say good when it's hot/humid and it's icy cold? 

(edited)
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I had never heard of such a thing, so I Googled and Buzzfeed did a review of some. not for me. I drink alcohol because I like the taste of it and I drink water because I like to hydrate I don't need them to be combined into one.

I've tried Spiked, Truly, and White Claw. My grocery store was carrying all 3 for a while. I liked the Spiked Seltzer, which is why my grocery store decided to go with the Truly and White Claw. Of the Truly flavors, I thought their lime was the best. My grocery seems to be phasing out the lime for the other flavors and the White Claw variety pack. 

I like to have Deep Eddy Ruby Red Grapefruit Vodka with Lacroix grapefruit and some lime. I've tried it with Lacroix lime, but never felt like it balanced all that well. I've substituted the hard seltzers for my Lacroix. I liked with my Ruby Red vodka the Spiked grapefruit with the tiniest splash of lime and the Truly lime Seltzer.

I've seen ads for Henry's hard seltzers, but I have yet to find it in a store.

Edited by HunterHunted
(edited)

I am about to lose all credibility as a wine drinker.  Last night, I purchased Gerard Bertrand Perles de Sauvignon Blanc 2015 (Sauvignon Blanc from Languedoc-Roussillon, France) because I liked the bottle. The bottle is decorated to look like it is wearing a rope of pearls. I'm a sucker for packaging. Fortunately, the wine has decent reviews.

What I found interesting is that it does not have a cork, nor does it have a screw top. It has a stopper, like a perfume bottle. It has a seal around it, but I suspect the stopper is plastic. Something to drink, not to store.

(Btw, I paid significantly less than the internet retail price.)

Edited by ennui
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, ennui said:

I am about to lose all credibility as a wine drinker.  Last night, I purchased Gerard Bertrand Perles de Sauvignon Blanc 2015 (Sauvignon Blanc from Languedoc-Roussillon, France) because I liked the bottle. The bottle is decorated to look like it is wearing a rope of pearls. I'm a sucker for packaging. Fortunately, the wine has decent reviews.

What I found interesting is that it does not have a cork, nor does it have a screw top. It has a stopper, like a perfume bottle. It has a seal around it, but I suspect the stopper is plastic. Something to drink, not to store.

(Btw, I paid significantly less than the internet retail price.)

One of our favorites restaurants in Baltimore has a bottle on the menu with a stopper.  We were encouraged to take it home after we finished the wine because it would make a great bottle for olive oil, or something else.  It's still sitting on our kitchen counter.  It's a nice bottle.  The wine was pretty good, too.

• Love 1

Last night, I watched the film A Good Year, with Russell Crowe, Predictable but enjoyable. Are we interested in adding books and films about beer, wine and spirits to this topic? 

I recently read that Sideways was a huge boost to pinot noir and Santa Barbara. 

8 hours ago, ennui said:

I recently read that Sideways was a huge boost to pinot noir and Santa Barbara. 

It was, but was also a huge hit to the Merlot market and the Merlot prestige.  I love Merlot and feel it was unfairly maligned in the film.  I also thought the main character was a total douche and didn't like the movie much.  Watching it on a plane may have had something to do with that, but I've not felt the need to watch it again.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I also thought the main character was a total douche and didn't like the movie much.

He was. I think that was part of the point if I remember correctly. 

There was a whole backlash against Merlot and Chardonnay at one point. It's the old "they are so popular that I'll have anything else" move often deployed by a certain type of person. There was, and probably still is, the phrase I'll have ABC, anything but chardonnay. 

Of course, there was some validity to the idea because as those two varietals became incredibly popular in the United States, the market did get flooded with sub-par versions of them. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

There was a whole backlash against Merlot and Chardonnay at one point. It's the old "they are so popular that I'll have anything else" move often deployed by a certain type of person. There was, and probably still is, the phrase I'll have ABC, anything but chardonnay. 

To be fair because of their popularity a lot of shitty Merlot and Chardonnay were made that tried to be bigger and bolder and highlighted some flavors that many wine makers don't think some of those notes that should be highlighted. I have had chardonnay that tasted as if I was licking an oak tree.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

this unoaked for just that reason

Unoaked chardonnay is the only way to go because you don't get wines so buttery you could dip popcorn or corn on the cob in.

• Love 2

I am not overly keen on cocktails, but I do like Jack Dan on the rocks, or perhaps Southern Comfort neat. 

For wine, I will always go Jacob's Creek (preferring white over red as the latter gives me headaches)

And for beers, a bottle of San Miguel always hits the spot on really hot sunny days

• Love 1

Steel barrel chardonnay is the only way I can drink that particular wine.  I cannot abide oaky chardonnay.

I love me a good merlot, it is a shame that enough bad merlot got on the market that people started thinking it passe.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I have had chardonnay that tasted as if I was licking an oak tree.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. 

I like my chardonnays oaky and buttery. I'm a Philistine. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, according to this article, California wines tend to oak. I suspect the problem is that mass-produced wines are aged with oak chips as opposed to oak barrels.  https://vinepair.com/wine-101/oaked-unoaked-wine-guide/

So, if you want to try again, find a good California chardonnay aged in French oak barrels and stay away from the inexpensive ones. 

Btw, oak and buttery are non-related. Oak imparts vanilla tones and color, but not butter. 

Edited by ennui
On 7/12/2017 at 6:39 PM, ariel said:

I'm on team non-oaky Chardonnay, but I'd like a recommendation for a good oaky Chard?  I'd like to give it another try.

Not sure if it's barrel aged or no, but a really affordable chardonnay that's great is Bogle.  It's usually in the $10-12 range.  I think it's really well balanced.

• Love 1

I actually love the occasional well made oak aged Chardonnay, but my wine tastes are 90% oriented towards what goes well with my food, and I rarely eat food that goes well with that style. 

Some that I've enjoyed in the past are from Chateau St Jean, Ferrari Carano, Ridge, Frank Family (would have never heard of them had I not visited when I was out there, great people and excellent wine) and Le Crema. 

None of those other than some of the La Crema bottles are particularly inexpensive. 

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I actually love the occasional well made oak aged Chardonnay, but my wine tastes are 90% oriented towards what goes well with my food

Food?  

I like to have a glass of wine on the patio (I'm outdoorsy!), so food is secondary.

I've posted before that I really like the Toasted Head Chardonnay, which is usually around $10 on sale. They claim tasting notes of caramel and bourbon. They toast the barrel heads, there's an interesting little video on their website that shows barrel making. 

I think other people like it too, because it's often sold out. Who knew Yolo County could make wine. I wonder if they sell a lot of YOLO! tee shirts. They should.

Edited by ennui