Type keyword(s) to search

What's Your Poison?: Beer, Wine and Spirits

biakbiak
  • Start Topic

Oh you lucky folks who can buy booze at the grocery store. Here in MD chain stores can't do it.

We took the Queen Mary 2 from Brooklyn to Southampton last year. I took a wine tasting class. One of the tastings was a Cunard champagne - $100/bottle on board. I did not need to know I like champagne that expensive. I normally buy wine in the $10-15 range.

When we got back from France last year, I asked our local wine and spirits store that has a knowledgeable staff for a recommendation on a good French champagne. He recommended several and I picked one that was ~$50. We were saving it for November 9 - it's still in the fridge. I also bought a nice Prosecco recently. We're taking the Queen Mary 2 again this year in 2 weeks. Our travel agent said we can take 1 bottle of wine each, so I think we'll take both with us - the champagne to celebrate Macron's win as we'll be spending time in Paris, and the Prosecco to celebrate our first visit to Italy.  

• Love 3

Does anyone here shop at BevMo? I look at their weekly flyers, and I don't see any bargains ... you have to buy multiples to get a discount. Also, is it a membership store? There is one near me, but I haven't mustered the courage to go inside.

26 minutes ago, ennui said:

Does anyone here shop at BevMo? I look at their weekly flyers, and I don't see any bargains ... you have to buy multiples to get a discount. Also, is it a membership store? There is one near me, but I haven't mustered the courage to go inside.

I've shopped there in a pinch, but usually the sale prices aren't much cheaper (and the regular prices are higher) than my local liquor store, and even where BevMo would save me a couple of bucks per bottle, I'd rather give the money to the family who owns the liquor store than the corporation that owns BevMo.

It's not a membership store, but they do have a rewards card like most grocery chains and such do.  I'm not sure if you need to have one of those cards in order to get the sale prices (my parents have one, so I just give their phone number the few times I shop there), but you get coupons that, if used to purchase something on sale, probably add up to a nice chunk of savings.

The five cent wine sale sounds like it might be a good deal, but I've never really explored how decent the wine selection is.

31 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The five cent wine sale sounds like it might be a good deal, but I've never really explored how decent the wine selection is

I studied the flyer once, and since you have to buy two to get the second at 5 cents, the price per bottle works out the same as one bottle at the grocery store. (I hope that makes sense.)

chessiegal, I've lived a few places with liquor restrictions. I remember being surprised to learn that Irving, TX is dry, and I had to go to Dallas to buy liquor. Granted, it was only 10 or 15 minutes away, but far enough that I had to plan ahead.

chessiegal, I've lived a few places with liquor restrictions. I remember being surprised to learn that Irving, TX is dry, and I had to go to Dallas to buy liquor. Granted, it was only 10 or 15 minutes away, but far enough that I had to plan ahead.

@ennui - there is nothing crazier than liquor laws, and I say this as someone who worked for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives laboratory for over 20 years. I worked in the forensic labs, but was very familiar with what the alcohol and tobacco lab was doing. Federal alcohol regulations were crazy enough, and then you get to state, county, and local laws - it's nuts. My husband is from Cullman AL which was a dry county until a few years ago. We spent many trips there a few years ago when his Dad was ill and then passed. We were in a hotel, and one Sunday realized we were out of gin. No booze to be had in Cullman county on Sunday, even though it was no longer dry. So we headed north, got caught in a backup from a wreck on the Interstate, and ended up spending over 2 hours just to get gin. But we did get to eat dinner at Big Bob Gibson Barbeque in Decatur - a bucket list for me. When I lived in suburban Atlanta, you couldn't buy alcohol before noon on Sundays.

• Love 1

I used to go to BevMo when I lived in So Cal, but primarily because they carried a good array of champagne (I lurved the stuff and it was my go to gift) and because it was the only place carrying my preferred tequila.

• Love 1

Another funny memory ... a friend and I had a stopover between flights at the Salt Lake City airport. We decided to have lunch, ordered wine ... waiter came around to see how we were doing, and we ordered another round. When he returned with the wine, we still had some remaining in our first round, and he explained that we could not have more than one glass each on the table at a time. Bottoms up! 

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh, man - Utah.  I love to go hiking in national parks (and to travel in general), so I've been all around the country, and Utah is one of the most beautiful states in the U.S.  As it should be, to make up for so much of the rest. 

I studied the flyer once, and since you have to buy two to get the second at 5 cents, the price per bottle works out the same as one bottle at the grocery store. (I hope that makes sense.)

Yes, you're paying the same (assuming the regular price is similar at BevMo vs. the store), but you're getting two bottles instead of one.  Unless - and I know BevMo's prices are high, but this would seem excessive - the cost of a bottle of the wine in question is nearly double at BevMo what it is at your grocery store, such that the per bottle cost of buying one at regular price and one at five cents at BevMo versus the per bottle cost of buying two at the store doesn't save you some serious coin.

And you don't have to buy two of the same during the five cent wine sale, as I understand it; just two bottles that are part of the promotion, and you pay regular price for one and five cents for the bottle of equal or lesser value.  So if BevMo has a decent wine selection, and the prices are decent enough so that basically getting two for the price of one is cheaper there than buying two elsewhere, it would be a good deal.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
(edited)

Visiting friends. They have a new drink (shot). It's half Rumchatta and half fireball. They chill it over ice, shake it and serve. I'm on the fence...not my favorite. I've had others which are made in a similar vein. They're half Drambouie and half Bailey's (but you have to pour over a spoon so that it comes out layered and not mixed), and I prefer them but alas my shot days are over...I'm getting too old! 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Hmm
19 hours ago, ennui said:

It's not a membership store. They have a loyalty card like the grocery stores for the discounted prices. They mail coupons in their flyers and you can find them online. The best deal is $10 off $50. I find BevMo can be cheaper than the grocery store for some things and they can order in things I can't find elsewhere.

• Love 1
On 5/13/2017 at 10:06 PM, Bastet said:

I know BevMo's prices are high, but this would seem excessive - the cost of a bottle of the wine in question is nearly double at BevMo what it is at your grocery store, such that the per bottle cost of buying one at regular price and one at five cents at BevMo versus the per bottle cost of buying two at the store doesn't save you some serious coin.

This is what I meant. For example, the bottle is $10 at the grocery, but $20 at BevMo + 5 cents for the second bottle.

I'll make an effort to go in BevMo and browse around. 

2 minutes ago, ennui said:

This is what I meant. For example, the bottle is $10 at the grocery, but $20 at BevMo

Yikes; I don't think BevMo prices are that out of bounds here -- more like a few extra dollars than double the price.

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yikes; I don't think BevMo prices are that out of bounds here -- more like a few extra dollars than double the price.

Yeah nearly all their prices are similar or slightly more than my grocery store for the same bottle but BevMo also does stock more expensive bottles. Their spirits also frequently go on sale and when they do their handles of Tanquery, Bombay Sapphire, and Tito's are cheaper than Costco and definitely cheaper than the grocery store and we just pour them into smaller bottles and have several months supply (or less if we are entertaining). 

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Yeah nearly all their prices are similar or slightly more than my grocery store for the same bottle but BevMo also does stock more expensive bottles. Their spirits also frequently go on sale and when they do their handles of Tanquery, Bombay Sapphire, and Tito's are cheaper than Costco and definitely cheaper than the grocery store and we just pour them into smaller bottles and have several months supply (or less if we are entertaining). 

That reminds me I scored two bottles of Belvedere vodka for $40ish. On sale - coupon + tax.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/13/2017 at 5:21 PM, ennui said:

Go inside!

No, it's not a membership store. They have their little "club card" but I've never seen any benefit from it. It's rare when I do their 5 cent sale. I went there until we had a Total Wine because it was better than the grocery store, cheaper on a few things and variety.

I prefer Total Wine, better selection all around, and K& L Wine. They both always seem to have what I'm looking for. Bev Mo does carry my Schofferhofer. 

Edited by Giselle
43 minutes ago, Giselle said:

They have their little "club card" but I've never seen any benefit from it. It's rare when I do their 5 cent sale.

Frequently they have cheaper prices for the club card and once you accumulate a certain amount the email you a coupon for $10 off any amount.

• Love 1
(edited)
39 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Frequently they have cheaper prices for the club card and once you accumulate a certain amount the email you a coupon for $10 off any amount.

Maybe I just don't spend enough there now for the $10 coupon. I mainly go there now for my summer Schofferhoffer fix. A few times the Bevmo Club card price was more than the Total Wine everyday price.

Still the factor I go by most is selection. For that I prefer TW & K&L.

On 12/25/2016 at 3:02 PM, spiderpig said:

I can see Napa County from my patio, so you know where I'm going...

So jealous!

Edited by Giselle
9 minutes ago, Giselle said:

So jealous!

Heaven on earth.  They have a stunning pet cemetery overlooking the valley.  Bubbling Well.  Whole family says they want to be scattered there while friends lift a nice glass of Syrah.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm a red wine person first and foremost. Then it's Irish whiskey, Bourbon, Guinness, Campari. 

I like a glass of wine with my meal or by itself each day but at times I go thru dry spells of no alcohol at all. Beer, see below, just here and there, and hard liquor is only on occasion.

My dad brewed beer but I hate the taste of the hops and the hard carbonation. Yuck!  I've found that I do like Guinness and two other dark nitrogen ones from Rock Bottom and Karl Strauss, then there is Angry Orchard and Schofferhoffer that's grapefruit based (I'll suffer carbonation for those).

I'm picky about cocktails, I'll easily choose having wine over a cocktail.  I'll try a sip of something different but usually prefer plain and simple along the citrus, mint, or ginger flavor profile. G&Ts and gimlets (too easy for me & dangerous), martini, daiqueri, mojito, bloody Mary,  a margarita, bicyclette, just spirit and fruit juice. Nothing creamy nor too sweet. No tiki drinks as they taste too much like fruit punch. No frat boy drinks. I like absinthe but no sugar please only water.

I love bitter lemon (always on hand) and will suffer carbonation. but I don't drink soft drinks. I will also suffer through said carbonation for the odd root beer or cream soda. We're talking once or twice a year.

With my two lemon trees I do make limoncello.

Edited by Giselle
(edited)
On 1/17/2017 at 0:02 PM, JTMacc99 said:

I have corkscrews in several locations. I think I have one in my car.  Over the years I seemed to pick them up here and there. Some came from my Dad thinking, "Hey! Look at this corkscrew that came with the wine I ordered." Some came from wineries.  Some were just cool.  So I'm never going to have that disastrous problem. Because having a bottle of wine with no corkscrew is like having a hamburger and fries and discovering you are out of ketchup.  

Fair enough. I will have a couple in the fridge just in case I really want one, but I'm thinking I'm pretty much done with just cracking one open while I'm watching TV, so there's no reason to have beer around.  I still have plenty of wine and other booze.  And I have no friends that stop by to hang out, so we're in the clear on that one.  In the event my house becomes a place people actually visit again, I will stock up.

Me too. I have a pull tap in my purse at all times...along with a Swiss army knife. I have to remember to take them out if going somewhere with a scanner.

Coming home from Orlando, first time to WDW and Food & Wine, and TSA got my Pull Tap. I forgot to put it back into checked luggage. The guy was really cool about it. He said, as he was opening the bag, that he had to check the corkscrew for a blade. He said he said a corkscrew was ok by itself. I said it had a little 1" one for the foil but I never used it (I peel the whole thing off).  He asked if I knew it was in there. I said I didn't but please take it.  I said I realized I didn't need a corkscrew at Food & Wine and the condo had one so I threw it back in a bag that I accidently put in my carryon and not in the checked souvenir bag. Again I told him to take it and enjoy a bottle of wine tonight.

No worries. He was so cool about it. When we got home I made Mr. G grind off the blade of my new TSA friendly "travel pulltap".  Love that two step action.

Edited by Giselle

I had to Google pulltap, I have always heard them referred to as a waiter's corkscrew, they are my favorite and have several. We have a fancy one but it mostly stays in the box because the waiters corkscrew is always handy, simple and quick.

My boyfriend has a client who keeps giving him mangos from their tree and since I have already made a salsa, a cheesecake and a sorbet today I did a white sangria with mangos and strawberries now I just need to figure what to serve it with at dinner.

Etb: writers and waiters are different though I think corkscrews are mandatory for both.

• Love 4
(edited)
46 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I had to Google pulltap, I have always heard them referred to as a waiter's corkscrew, they are my favorite and have several. We have a fancy one but it mostly stays in the box because the waiters corkscrew is always handy, simple and quick.

My boyfriend has a client who keeps giving him mangos from their tree and since I have already made a salsa, a cheesecake and a sorbet today I did a white sangria with mangos and strawberries now I just need to figure what to serve it with at dinner.

Etb: writers and waiters are different though I think corkscrews are mandatory for both.

Yup a waiters corkscrew. Years ago I was struggling with a corkscrew and a good friend said use this and I've never looked back. I looked to see what it was, a Pulltap, and so that's what I've always called it.  I bought one then another, a then a few more to stash around and give away. 

I too have the rabbit, the corks pop, the ahso, the winged one and others. I still reach for the Pulltap.

I've been curious about the Coravin since I saw them used in Sonoma last time I was there. But dang, $200-300!

Mmmmmmmm, mango with sticky coconut rice. Mmmmmmmm.

Edited by Giselle

@biakbiak Too bad that you don't have the time to marinate some chicken in yogurt and tandoori spices as that tastes good with mangoes (I'm jealous...would love one right after reading that). What about some kabobs or coconut shrimp? They mix well. 

Back in the 80s when I was on the road constantly, my favorite toy was an inflatable ice bucket.  Took up no room in luggage and freed up the hotel room sink.  (Ice buckets were too small to adequately chill white wine.)

As for cork pullers, I've been through at least a dozen Le Creuset Screwpulls.  Very easy on the wrists if you have arthritis or carpal tunnel.  They do break, though.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Back in the 80s when I was on the road constantly, my favorite toy was an inflatable ice bucket.

Dang - I need one of those. We're headed to London. Paris, Florence, and Rome on the 31st (via Queen Mary 2). Our experience in London and France last year was no ice or ice buckets. Off to see if I can get one before we leave.

ETA: Ordered - to arrive May 23-25. Thank you spiderpig!

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 3

I'm currently sitting around with my old college friends drinking, about to drink some Pinot Noir with dinner and then probably beers into the evening. 

Between this and the business trip to music city earlier this week, my liver is going to very happy for a normal work week on Monday. 

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Dang - I need one of those. We're headed to London. Paris, Florence, and Rome on the 31st (via Queen Mary 2). Our experience in London and France last year was no ice or ice buckets. Off to see if I can get one before we leave.

ETA: Ordered - to arrive May 23-25. Thank you spiderpig!

You are quite welcome, and I am quite pea-green with envy about your upcoming trip!

Enjoy, have fun, bon voyage...!

• Love 1

When it came to ice on our trip last year, I'm afraid we were ugly Americans. QM2 was fine - mini-fridge in the room and all the ice we wanted from room service. In London, our hotel had a fully stocked mini-fridge with little room to stick in anything you wanted to cool. No ice (1st day we requested ice from room service and got an uninsulated bucket with 10 cubes of ice in it.) Next day we found a convenience store that sold bags of ice - problem solved. Our next stop was in Bayeux in Normandy. No ice at the hotel, but found ice at the Carrfour (they had 2 bags). So, after 2 days we had used up all the bagged ice there was in Bayeux. The third day the desk clerk suggested going to the bar and getting ice. The bartender handed me (1) 12 oz. plastic glass with ice, and when I asked "deux?" he looked at me like I had 3 heads. When we got to Paris, our hotel had a countertop ice machine in the room where they served breakfast. We thought we died and went to heaven. Needless to say we are staying in the same hotel this trip. We've never been to Italy, but I think when it comes to ice, it will be similar.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/20/2017 at 0:40 PM, Giselle said:

I too have the rabbit, the corks pop, the ahso, the winged one and others. I still reach for the Pulltap.

I use a winged corkscrew most often, but lately I am having a heck of a time removing the cork afterwards. For a while, I really liked the two prong cork puller. I also have a corkscrew in the car, a few in the garage (no, I don't know why). My Swiss army knife has a little corkscrew.  I had a Rabbit knock-off, but it broke after the first use (which is probably why they include an extra worm). 

I've always wanted to open a bottle of champagne with a sabre, but I'd probably hurt myself.

Edited by ennui
All sabres are swords, but not all swords are sabres.
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, ennui said:

I've always wanted to open a bottle of champagne with a sword, but I'd probably hurt myself.

I'm the exact opposite. It's my goal to open a bottle of champagne with the very least popping as possible. It's like a game of me versus pressure.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, ennui said:

I use a winged corkscrew most often, but lately I am having a heck of a time removing the cork afterwards. For a while, I really liked the two prong cork puller. I also have a corkscrew in the car, a few in the garage (no, I don't know why). My Swiss army knife has a little corkscrew.  I had a Rabbit knock-off, but it broke after the first use (which is probably why they include an extra worm). 

I've always wanted to open a bottle of champagne with a sword, but I'd probably hurt myself.

My Swiss army knife has one but it is so short that I rarely used it.

It's main job now is not to open wine bottles (Pulltap) but too hold the mini eyeglass screwdriver.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I'm the exact opposite. It's my goal to open a bottle of champagne with the very least popping as possible. It's like a game of me versus pressure.

I always open champagne that way -- I'm quite good at it! But just once, sabre.

Edited by ennui
All sabres are swords, but not all swords are sabres.
  • Love 5

@spiderpig - the inflatable wine bucket arrived today. I can see lots of uses. Our dock at our marina holds lots of potlucks. I think it will come in handy for keeping wine cold at those. It wasn't as easy to inflate as claimed, but it works. It's ready to be packed. Thanks!

• Love 2

My go to corkscrew is the electric one, followed by the rabbit. I have nerve damage in both hands so the wine key is a non-starter for me. One of my friend's sister did do the shoe-wall trick when in a hotel once. Apparently, it worked.

I can open a champagne bottle with no "pop". It's my one talent. 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

@spiderpig - the inflatable wine bucket arrived today. I can see lots of uses. Our dock at our marina holds lots of potlucks. I think it will come in handy for keeping wine cold at those. It wasn't as easy to inflate as claimed, but it works. It's ready to be packed. Thanks!

Great, chessiegal!  I worked in travel for decades and bought these little devils as gifts for coworkers.  Enjoy!

ETA:  start your breathing exercises per Rocky the Flying Squirrel:  "Out with the bad air, in with the good..."

Edited by spiderpig
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ariel said:

Yay, I just poured a glass to celebrate it. I think every day is National Wine Day in my house.

I just said to Mr ebk that it's National Wine Day - I'm pouring myself a glass.  And he said "so what do you call the rest of the days you do that".

I guess I call them days ending in Y...

L'Chaim everyone!!

• Love 4
On 5/20/2017 at 9:00 PM, chessiegal said:

When it came to ice on our trip last year, I'm afraid we were ugly Americans. QM2 was fine - mini-fridge in the room and all the ice we wanted from room service. In London, our hotel had a fully stocked mini-fridge with little room to stick in anything you wanted to cool. No ice (1st day we requested ice from room service and got an uninsulated bucket with 10 cubes of ice in it.) Next day we found a convenience store that sold bags of ice - problem solved. Our next stop was in Bayeux in Normandy. No ice at the hotel, but found ice at the Carrfour (they had 2 bags). So, after 2 days we had used up all the bagged ice there was in Bayeux. The third day the desk clerk suggested going to the bar and getting ice. The bartender handed me (1) 12 oz. plastic glass with ice, and when I asked "deux?" he looked at me like I had 3 heads. When we got to Paris, our hotel had a countertop ice machine in the room where they served breakfast. We thought we died and went to heaven. Needless to say we are staying in the same hotel this trip. We've never been to Italy, but I think when it comes to ice, it will be similar.

Naaaaaahhhhh, I don't see that as an "ugly American" thing, and I think Europeans kind of smile and just shake their heads at us.  Several times at restaurants on the continent, the waiter would show up at our table with glasses of ice we hadn't asked for and didn't want, just assuming that Americans wanted ice.  It was so adorable, we couldn't say no, but I really do think they see it as a charming quirk of our culture.  Now, if you get upset about it and talk about how we have ice everywhere in 'Murica, then, yeah.....stereotype.  :) 

I call the waiter's corkscrew a "wine key."  And I love them, too!  People are always buying me fancy wine openers and I'm all, "you know what would be more helpful with this?  Something to cut the foil, dammit!"  When I'm travelling, I always just pick the wines with no cork.  Screw tops and sparkling wine for life!  There are some good ones with screw tops, I love Cupcake Sauvignon Blanc.

Does anyone live in the Chicago area?  I moved away several years ago, but always stop at Binny's Beverage Depot on my way home (a few hours' drive), and my favorite one near Lincoln Park added the world's largest champagne room.  As someone who drinks sparkling wine 75% of the time, I was overwhelmed.  SO.MUCH CHAMPAGNE.  I spent an hour in there and could have spent 2-3 easily.  It's amazing.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, larapu2000 said:

Does anyone live in the Chicago area?  I moved away several years ago, but always stop at Binny's Beverage Depot on my way home (a few hours' drive), and my favorite one near Lincoln Park added the world's largest champagne room.  As someone who drinks sparkling wine 75% of the time, I was overwhelmed.  SO.MUCH CHAMPAGNE.  I spent an hour in there and could have spent 2-3 easily.  It's amazin

Since you clearly enjoy bubbles so much, what is your favorite champagne? I'm fond of Tattingers and love the Moët and Chandon Rose but don't have the budget to enjoy as much as I'd like to lol!! 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, larapu2000 said:

Naaaaaahhhhh, I don't see that as an "ugly American" thing, and I think Europeans kind of smile and just shake their heads at us.  Several times at restaurants on the continent, the waiter would show up at our table with glasses of ice we hadn't asked for and didn't want, just assuming that Americans wanted ice.  It was so adorable, we couldn't say no, but I really do think they see it as a charming quirk of our culture.  Now, if you get upset about it and talk about how we have ice everywhere in 'Murica, then, yeah.....stereotype.  :) 

I call the waiter's corkscrew a "wine key."  And I love them, too!  People are always buying me fancy wine openers and I'm all, "you know what would be more helpful with this?  Something to cut the foil, dammit!"  When I'm travelling, I always just pick the wines with no cork.  Screw tops and sparkling wine for life!  There are some good ones with screw tops, I love Cupcake Sauvignon Blanc.

Does anyone live in the Chicago area?  I moved away several years ago, but always stop at Binny's Beverage Depot on my way home (a few hours' drive), and my favorite one near Lincoln Park added the world's largest champagne room.  As someone who drinks sparkling wine 75% of the time, I was overwhelmed.  SO.MUCH CHAMPAGNE.  I spent an hour in there and could have spent 2-3 easily.  It's amazing.

My childhood German babysitter became accustomed to ice after she immigrated to the US. When she would go back to Germany to visit she would take her ice trays with her to make ice at relatives homes.

That's the one thing I don't like about a Pulltap... the serrated knife. It is useless. I use the knife to catch the edge of the foil at the neck and peel the whole thing off. 

The Pulltap I now travel with is TSA compliant with the knife removed (Mr.G cut and ground it off) so I just use the tip of the screw to catch the edge of the foil.

Edited by Giselle
16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Since you clearly enjoy bubbles so much, what is your favorite champagne? I'm fond of Tattingers and love the Moët and Chandon Rose but don't have the budget to enjoy as much as I'd like to lol!! 

Do you mean Domaine Chandon Blanc de Noir? Nectar of the gods. Beautiful winery, as well.

Just saw a commercial for the Coravin Wine Saver. The ad mentioned a $50 coupon, so I knew it was too expensive for me. Google tells me it's around $299, and I could buy a lot of wine for $299.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ennui said:

Do you mean Domaine Chandon Blanc de Noir? Nectar of the gods

No, I mean the brand Moët Chandon who make a rosé (aka Moët -Chandon Rosé Imperial). It costs about $50 a pop. I first had it lunching in NYC. They made splits so it was about 2 glasses but they were glasses of heaven. I've been able to find it since but it's like chasing the dragon from that first taste. I had it with truffled deviled eggs and something else that I can't remember. It could have been a pairing thing. It is crisp, quite dry but not Brut and a hint of berries and Pinot Noir. Try it if you see it for some special occasion unless it sounds not to your taste. I'd have it again in a heartbeat! 

Ill have to try Domaine Blanc de Noir. Sounds right up my alley. I can see where I made my mistake in the first post that would lead you to think that's what I meant when I used the word 'and' between Moët and Chandon. Sorry about that but it's led to a good discussion and a new bubbly for me to try. Thx

• Love 1