Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Happy F*cking New Year

kieyra

The journey continues as these eight singular hearts and minds weave in and out of each other’s lives finding deeper connections, learning darker, more desperate secrets about one another and struggling to identify with more than just oneself.

This is up! Watching it now. They do make some meta-commentary/jokes about the new appearance of Capheus. I'm inclined to give them leeway on it. I suspect it'll cause some grumbles though. But it's fun to be back in this world.

Happy holidays.

(ETA: Less than 30 min in and I'm tearing up. Most television can't do that to me.)

• Love 3

Just wait until you get further in. 

I love all the mix-ups with the pairings this time. I think my favorite part of this show is watching the 8 of them interact with each other.

Edit: Just finished. It was a nice peek into all of their lives. I still loved when they visited each other the best. 

I am slightly confused by Will and his storyline with Whispers. Does Whispers know who everyone is because Will visited them multiple times this episode? Or does he only know who Will is with?

I really hope in the second season, we see them try to go after Whispers and get Sun out of prison. Nomi did say she was working on Sun's transfer but really to help Sun, they're going to have to go after the brother. And speaking of Sun, that fight scene in jail with her and the others was amazing. I think I might like Sun's relationships with the others the most. 

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 7

Watching this, I realized I don't remember all the details from season 1. The very long breaks between seasons work against it. And yet, I still felt drawn back in and it wasn't hard to follow along and understand what was happening in the moment.

I love that they give equal weight to friendship as to romantic love.

• Love 10

It was a nice preview of the next season.  I hated that Will regularly uses heroin now.  It's been a while since last season, so it surprised me to see that Jonas is still alive.

It looks like Capheus has to worry about the drug lord moving in on his mom.  I loved his glee when Sun shows up.

It felt like half of this episode was dance scenes and orgies, but that's not a bad thing! I love the music they use in this show.  Lito and Hernando's friend is kind of annoying though, are good friends supposed to constantly masturbate to you!?

The last holiday scene was good and emotional.  I'm glad Nomi's weird hacker friend got to have his holiday too.

• Love 5

So glad to see the 8 and their extendeds again. Though, as peridot said above, I am over the friend masturbating to Lito and Hernando. 

I need Sun out of prison now! She needs to take care of her brother. I like that Kala's husband is so likeable.

It is going to take some time getting used to the new Capheus. The old actor was just so joyous that it will be hard to match. I did like (even if it was a bit much) the whole new face conversation. 

This show does a great job having me care about the but I also care a lot for all the "sidekicks". Great job show.

Bring on May!

• Love 4

Wow!!!

This was a total win for me.  I thought it was brilliant in all the ways this show works for me. I loved the way it introduced "new capheus".   I loved the relationship between all the sensesates and how the show gives equal weight to friendship as it does to romantic love.    

All the emotional scenes worked for me  and I loved the action scenes as well as the moments of levity.  The passengers who wouldn't get off the new Van Dam bus because they thought it was magical were great.  

Sun is still my favorite character I thought that her scenes in the prison had the right mix of sadness, anxiety and hope.  I am hoping she escapes and gets revenge on her brother.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7

I thought it was a good start for a new season. I mean, I would call it the transition episode. Almost season 2, but not quite. I'm agreeing with what a lot of you are already saying, that's for sure. A lot of fantastic character moments, so I'm glad they haven't lost that. There are, however, some moments that I feel haven't quite hit their mark. So I want to start off with the bad/confusing before I move on to the great.

So, I found that I missed old Capheus. The old one had a different vibe to him, with a lot of joy and he seemed younger than this new Capheus. This new guy is really trying to make it work and I don't think he's bad at all. He's hit moments, such as him describing the "Spirit" to his friend, but I'm still a bit stuck on the old Capheus. Plus, I thought the other guy was cuter. With a show that already has a bunch of bulky, Alpha male type characters, I thought Capheus kind of contrasted that. However, he still managed to capture something that'll make me warm up to him by season 2. 

Some of the pacing with scenes was a bit off. There were quite a few intercuts of scenes, especially near the end of the special, that just felt too jumpy from one character to another. And I get the purpose or what they're representing, but I felt like I was getting a little bit of whiplash.

Also, some of the group scenes could have had less cuts so I could have enjoyed seeing the multiple interactions. I loved the group scenes for what they represented, but they could have paced them out better. I really enjoyed the collective birthday scene. It was super fun. I also loved the prison fight scene. 

We did get a lot of amazing character moments, though. And that is what is more important to me, so I was able to put aside my issues and enjoy the special overall. I love that we actually got individual scenes with Hernando and his students, as well as Neets at work. It was so nice to get more from the other non-sensates. And Felix is awake!

I loved seeing the pairings being explored within the sensates. Seeing pairings like Kala/Sun, Wolfgang/Sun, and Wolfgang/Lito was something that I needed. I'm really looking forward to more of those moments in season 2, when they don't have to be rushed in 2 hours. 

I'm still a bit hesitant on Kala/Wolfgang, but I'm surprisingly all on board with Riley/Will. I think they're a sweet couple, and didn't realize that they'd get together during those four months. I think my main issue is that I'm not sure of Kala's motivations. She seems very into Wolfgang and not into her husband, but when he tries to break things off, she refuses to let it happen, even though she knows it doesn't have much chance of working out. I think I need more insight into her as a character. She also seems the most innocent so I reckon that'll change in season 2. She has the least to offer with the other sensates, so I have to think that it'll change. 

I do love that they all became close and they're all there for each other when they need it. 

10 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I am slightly confused by Will and his storyline with Whispers. Does Whispers know who everyone is because Will visited them multiple times this episode? Or does he only know who Will is with?

Well, I think that's what Will and Riley are trying to figure out, hence their hesitation to let Will communicate with the others. I do think right now that it's just who Will is with and Whispers can't jump in on the other connections, so to speak. However, we probably won't get that particular answer until season 2 starts. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I think they might have painted themselves into a narrative corner by making Will have to be unconscious all the time in order for them to be safe (at the end of S1). First of all, it wouldn't be fair to the actor (even with dream/drug sequences), and it would be far more medically challenging to keep him in a perpetual drugged stupor. (I know he's already half there, but I mean keeping him fully unconscious.) So they are tweaking the canon just a tiny bit. 

The fight scenes are amazing. I'm more invested in them than any action sequences of anything else I watch.

There was a time I might have thought they were laying on the "messages" too thick with regards to LGBTQ issues--and I speak as a person with a trans loved one, and as a person who is well aware that the message is partly the Wachowskis telling their difficult personal stories, including Lilly's media blackmail--but after this past election there is no such thing as laying that message on too thick. It was an antidote I needed. "Get over it" indeed. The montage of all the hateful words was the first thing that had me tearing up. 

• Love 5

That was... terrible. I've only made it half-way through (to the orgy scene) and I don't think I can go on.

It's really hard to sum up my feelings about this show. I love the cinematography, the characters, the sheer ambition of a series that films in SO many different locations, but I don't see the point. There's just no there there with this series. There's such a pervading sense of "hey, what we're doing IS SO FUCKING COOL" that they don't bother with things that matter, like actual writing.

I found the orgy scene incredibly contrived - like, it was the highlight of season 1, so let's do it again! It kind of reminded me of those scenes in season 3 Hannibal that were more interested in being art than serving any sort of narrative purpose. 

And that's a shame because the idea behind Sense8 is really good and it has a lot of amazing pieces. They just don't add up to anything. 

• Love 4

A lot of shows get the, "not for everyone," tag but Sense8 is so absolutely not for everyone. If you made it this far and can't get into it, you're probably best off ditching it. Peak tv and all, there's got to be something you'd enjoy more. Sense8 probably couldn't survive on any other... do you even call it a network? than Netflix. They've really decided to try and target niches of people rather than any one general audience. 

I love the special. It hits me in other the right spots. I get the cheesiness complaints but I can't think of any other show I watch right now, even the good ones, where I describe it almost as a celebration of life. 

I am interested to see where the story goes in season two. The name that gets overshadowed by the Wachowkis is J. Michael Straczynski, even though he probably does most of the writing on the show. Anyone who watched Babylon 5 knows the guy is one of the best writers on crafting long-term story arcs, unfortunate that most of his shows have been canceled before getting second seasons. That was actually an intial appeal of the series to me, him getting the budget of a Netflix show, along with some security to tell the full story. 

So hopefully the Sensate starts making moves to target BPO.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

I found the orgy scene incredibly contrived - like, it was the highlight of season 1, so let's do it again! It kind of reminded me of those scenes in season 3 Hannibal that were more interested in being art than serving any sort of narrative purpose. 

I totally agree. I wasn't feeling the orgy scene at all and also thought it was more of "awe that's cool and hot and artsy" moment than having a purpose to the story.

Whoever said this was a transition episode and something to wet our tongues until the season returns in May was right on point, because I felt like almost all of the storylines were meandering a bit with little purpose i.e. Nomi/Freema, Kala, Sun, Capheus, Will/Riley. 

I hope they have a better plan for Will/Riley because I'm not here to watch him be high all the time so he can hide from Whispers. That is not a life and really if that's the only way he can live and be free of him is being stoned out of his mind to the point of being unconscious  then he needs to opt out like Angelica.

Speaking of Angelica, it was creepy as hell when her spirit (or whatever that was) was standing behind the choir during the Christmas concert at the church. Very eerie. I don't think they intended for it to come off that way but it did. 

I'm not feeling the new Capheus. I'll eventually warm to him, but the original actor was so good and really embodied the joyous innocence of the character. I miss him, a lot.

Love love love the relationship between Wolfe and Felix. I'm so glad Felix is alive. I also love Hernando/Lito/Dani. The chemistry between Lito/Hernando is hot and both are gorgeous.  I didn't realize Hernando was Tomas from The Exorcist the TV show. Anyway, both these storylines were the best of the episode and maybe because they were the only storylines that made some progress. The scene with all the racial slurs painted on the walls and inside the car was powerful and well done. 

I'm already over Sun being in prison and her gangsta brother. Hopefully that'll be rectified soon.

I have no idea why Kala insists on continuing her relationship with Rajan. I wonder if it's just a ship staller for Wolfie/Kala because her decision to stay married when she could've got out of it doesn't make sense. That said, I loved all of the Wolfie/Kala scenes.IMO they are so funny together and endearing and hot. The actors smolder together, and it is obvious that Wolfie absolutely adores Kala (love the way he looks at her) and she's crazy about him as well. I guess though, they are destined to be the starcrossed lovers on this show.  With a cast this big and with so many couplings someone had to have the separation angst and they are it.

It wasn't a great episode, but it was great to see these characters again. I'm looking forward to seeing the new season in May.

• Love 7

I think one of the great things about internet channels like Amazon and Netflix is that they can put on shows like Sense8 and The Man In the High Castle.  Both of these shows are brilliant explorations on what it is to be human but would never work on "normal" channels even "yes we can show boobs" HBO.   Sense8 is almost entirely about what connects us as people.  It takes on weird meaning in 2016 a year that has been about what divides us but Sense8 is what connects us and celebrates the things that makes us different.   There are those like Whispers who wants to snuff those things out.  Whispers is a brilliant character because he is  a symbol of everything  that wants to snuff out the things that don't fit in in the world.  

I thought the Christmas Special was a brilliant special even though it didn't really move the characters in any meaningful way and yet it did.  Maybe nothing substantial happened but Sun is now ready to go after her brother.  Will is ready to go after Whispers and Nomi is ready to stop hiding.   I love most if not all the minor characters.  I think Bug is a fabulous minor character.  I love that Kala's husband isn't a complete douche.  I love that friendship is given the same balance as romantic love and that all the Sensates respect and help each other.  

I miss Old Capheus and haven't quite warmed up to New Capheus yet but I am willing to give him some time.  He isn't awful or bringing down the show but I haven't  warmed to him just yet. 

I think my favorite scene was when Kala was yelling at her husband for telling telling/asking her mother if she was still a virgin and it cut with Lito coming home to the Paparazzi.  I thought that was a very well done scene and it cut in well with all the others.

Brilliant Christmas episode.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 1
  • Love 11

I think one of the great things about internet channels like Amazon and Netflix is that they can put on shows like Sense8 and The Man In the High Castle. 

Really. The show isn't for everyone. Fine. That's why it's on Netflix. I only wish JMS had something like this when B5 was around. 

The fight scenes were fantastic. 

Even though not much happened, it also got a lot out of the way so we don't have to waste time with exposition when the season starts for real. Another good reason to like the Netflix/Hulu model is that they aren't constrained by network structure. Basically everyone's plot was setup for the season. 

I'm still not clear on what Whispers' end game is. I thought Lito's mother was a touch too cheesy, but after this election, I don't care. I wondered if the line about being too good a dancer was ad libbed because the other actors seemed to actually crack up. I can buy that they were evicted, but can you just take someone's stuff life that? 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I've missed it so much that any crumble would be good enough!

Loved Kala/Lito scene, although she is very forward (my body, not a product) I think she is still an indian girl, raised on a certain culture where breaking a marriage (specially when Rajan is so sweet my heart weeps for him) is something very complicated on her perspective. As well as Lito is so amazing and brave, but inside is a lovely boy expecting his mom's approval. Hernando describing their love as art was so nice and emotional.

Love Wolfgang always and forever and his face anytime he sees Kala is everything! Nomi still is great and Amanita is a dream! Great couple.

New Capheus didn't bother me, I always thought old Capheus was too much innocent for the orgy scenes. Enough with Sun in jail, get out and get your revenge, she is ready!

Will in drugs broke my heart. It was all over his face the physicall changes and his pain. Riley usually does nothing for me (she was useful just for the iconic "what's going on" music scene), but her with Will I found bearable.

Angelica on the top of the Santas at the church was quite creepy! And I need more explanation on Whispers and a quick resolution to this problem, I can't stand Will on drugs for the whole season.

Finally, it was amazing to see the sensates celebrating their birthday and Christmas, gave me a great sense of time passing.

May, I am ready! 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

So, I binge watched the first season and just finished this episode. Why I did not watch when it was first released on Netflix is a mystery. This is definitely my type of show. I really like all the Sens8s, and my favorite keeps changing. I did prefer the old Capheus, but judging from what I perceived from the comments made from some on the internet, I can't help but wonder if the old actor was a bit homophobic. My favorite parts are the parts that don't involve Whispers. I know many may consider his connection needed for a mystery. I don't need it.

• Love 3
On 12/23/2016 at 3:21 PM, possibilities said:

Watching this, I realized I don't remember all the details from season 1. The very long breaks between seasons work against it. And yet, I still felt drawn back in and it wasn't hard to follow along and understand what was happening in the moment.

I love that they give equal weight to friendship as to romantic love.

I took the advantage of some time off to re-binge all of season 1.  Definitely enjoyed it all over again. Then watched the Christmas Special--and loved it.  No, the show is not perfect--but when it's good it's so very good.  I was glad to visit so many parts of the world, beautiful in their own ways.  And didn't mind hearing "Hallelujah" again.... 

Indeed--the show is not shy about celebrating sexual love.  But it also honors friendship & family affection.  (For those who have good families, that is.)  

Near the end, Will was feeling down, as he has every right to do.  But Riley said it was time for all of them to Do Something about Whispers. So--can't wait until May. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I think the Christmas special is filler but them filler episodes get a bad rap.  Although they do not move any plots forward if written well they develop characters and their motivations.  Even Christmas episode did this exceptionally well. 

• Love 1

I totally enjoyed the Christmas episode--and re watched all of season one.  I especially like the birthday montage. Chokes me up in a happy way.  

To me, there is something to like about each character and their relationships...I love when they interact...and the interaction between Wolfie and Sun this episode...I hope we get more of that.  Each of them are so different.  I think I'm more into Wolf and Kala as a couple than Riley and Will right now, though.  

• Love 2

I love Lito and Hernando so much. I wondered what it was that Hernando did as a job, now I know. These actors have so much chemistry together.  And I'm with Nomi and her gf, why can't everyone else seeing those two together, see how unbelievably hot it is. I try to explain this to people and everyone thinks I'm nuts. 

I don't like junkie Will. There must be a better way of keeping Whispers away. Why not just blindfold him, but I guess he needs his thoughts subdued as well.

Was surprised to see Kala and Rajan married. I really like him and think he's getting a raw deal in the relationship. Poor man nearly fractures his penis and it's not while having sex. I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get to see their first time together but I imagine the actors would prob have issues with a sex scene. 

Sun does need out of prison asap. I'm not sure how they're going to swing that. 

Max and Felix are back together! Yeah! 

Yes this show can be a bit heavy handed but maybe that's what we need now and in the next few years. This series is amazing regardless. 

Edited by MizStaken
  • Love 3

What I loved about this episode was that the friends are starting to react the Sense8's new skills and them talking to themselves. I loved that Amanita knew and reacted to others being there without being able to see them. So I like that they are starting that with the other friends. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

What I loved about this episode was that the friends are starting to react the Sense8's new skills and them talking to themselves. I loved that Amanita knew and reacted to others being there without being able to see them. So I like that they are starting that with the other friends. 

They are all starting to tell their significant others and friends about what is going on in one form or another.  Some are doing better jobs then others but I do like that they are beginning to at least tell people around them what is going on.  Capheus calling Sun his angel is a way to explain to his friend what is happening,   Kala trying to explain why she felt trapped to her husband felt trapped was fine well as well even though it snowballed.

• Love 1

I can't imagine what the prison guards would've thought if they saw Sun dancing around in her cell having the time of her life. Although being able to do that probably helped her time in isolation. I appreciated them asking if she ever wants to go outside they'd take her. I also liked Sun's prison friends helping her out. Hopefully she can get out and take out her brother. 

I loved Capheus telling his friend that he's gained his Van Damme skills from a Korean woman in prison and the friend just went with it. I do miss the old Capheus that actor had such a child like wonder about him. This one seems more mature. 

As for the orgy, I liked the first one because it was sensual and artsy. This one just seemed like they wanted to put in another orgy. Other that being kind of unnecessary. I enjoyed this episode and am glad we get to see it while we wait for May for the rest of the episodes. 

• Love 1
On 12/24/2016 at 3:47 PM, Enigma X said:

So, I binge watched the first season and just finished this episode. Why I did not watch when it was first released on Netflix is a mystery. This is definitely my type of show. I really like all the Sens8s, and my favorite keeps changing. I did prefer the old Capheus, but judging from what I perceived from the comments made from some on the internet, I can't help but wonder if the old actor was a bit homophobic. My favorite parts are the parts that don't involve Whispers. I know many may consider his connection needed for a mystery. I don't need it.

The official story about why Aml Ameen left was creative differences with Lana Wachowski. Given that Capheus was more involved in the massive orgy scene in this special than the previous one and was kissing a guy, it would hardly be surprising if his discomfort in doing that scene was the reason for the split. That is of course total speculation, and I have no idea what the real story is.

If that's what it boiled down to, tough call, especially after the audience has already gotten acquainted with Aml Ameen's performance with the character. Even though you want actors dedicated to play parts and an actor not being comfortable kissing a man on camera can be construed as homophobic, I'd probably err on the side of working within the actor who has already been casts' comfort zone. I'm not sure it's too different than an actor not being comfortable with a nude scene

Toby Onwumere has a completely different vibe than Aml Ameen had... he definitely looks more mature and as a more muscular physique... I doubt some of the scenes where Capheus was in peril in the first season would have played as well with Onwumere, as Ameen's boyishness really accented the character's vulnerability. But he'll have his chance to make the role his. This one special wasn't enough to get fully acclimated to the cast change. He's is a difficult position.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Ronin Jackson said:

The official story about why Aml Ameen left was creative differences with Lana Wachowski. Given that Capheus was more involved in the massive orgy scene in this special than the previous one and was kissing a guy, it would hardly be surprising if his discomfort in doing that scene was the reason for the split. That is of course total speculation, and I have no idea what the real story is.

If that's what it boiled down to, tough call, especially after the audience has already gotten acquainted with Aml Ameen's performance with the character. Even though you want actors dedicated to play parts and an actor not being comfortable kissing a man on camera can be construed as homophobic, I'd probably err on the side of working within the actor who has already been casts' comfort zone. I'm not sure it's too different than an actor not being comfortable with a nude scene

Toby Onwumere has a completely different vibe than Aml Ameen had... he definitely looks more mature and as a more muscular physique... I doubt some of the scenes where Capheus was in peril in the first season would have played as well with Onwumere, as Ameen's boyishness really accented the character's vulnerability. But he'll have his chance to make the role his. This one special wasn't enough to get fully acclimated to the cast change. He's is a difficult position.

Under normal circumstances I might agree with you.  However this show in large part has almost every character interacting with each other in erotic ways.  To have one not do that would send a strange message.  Sometimes you have to cut bait on an employee who is t working out and that is essentially what Ami Ameen is.  Who knows how many seasons the show will go on.  But you are right tough call.  Keep a well liked actor who has a list of wont's that might get larger as the show goes on or recast the roll quickly and hope the new actor takes to the part quickly.  I think they made the right call. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Under normal circumstances I might agree with you.  However this show in large part has almost every character interacting with each other in erotic ways.  To have one not do that would send a strange message.  Sometimes you have to cut bait on an employee who is t working out and that is essentially what Ami Ameen is.  Who knows how many seasons the show will go on.  But you are right tough call.  Keep a well liked actor who has a list of wont's that might get larger as the show goes on or recast the roll quickly and hope the new actor takes to the part quickly.  I think they made the right call. 

True... especially if it is in the designs for the character to continue to explore that side of his sexuality. But if that was known early you'd hope they'd have made that clear to the actor when they were casting him. Again all speculation and we have no idea what the real story is, but no question recasting a major role in the middle of a series is always a jarring choice for a show, so you'd hope there was truly no way around it.

It does seem like Tina Desai might be singularly exempt from the nudity clause. At least so far and her character did participate in the most recent orgy.

• Love 1

I don't give a fuck about an actor's discomfort with a same sex scene. To me it's not different than tolerating one who won't kiss someone of a different race or ethnic background than their own. If you aren't willing to do sex scenes, get that in your contract before you take the part, or don't cast the person. But catering to bigots and whims is just not something I care to see this or any show do.

• Love 3

I know this is speculation (the reason the actor allegedly left), but I think there is blame to go around if that is indeed the reason. Either the actor didn't make his requirements clear up front, or the nature of the show was not made sufficiently clear to *him*, which I guess is what, a casting failure?

And possibly he didn't educate himself on the Wachowskis' past work, which seems like a massive misstep on his part. 

Or, hell, maybe he thought he'd be okay with the sex scenes and then had a change of heart. Once that kind of bigotry or repression has been programmed into you hard enough, you're kind of toast.

(#2016bitterness)

• Love 2

I had this on last night while I was doing other things around the house and it never completely caught my attention and it seemed like every time I did look over at it, there was some sort of montage happening. Was it that montage heavy in the 1st season? I don't remember.

I see old Capheus is missed on the board, he definitely had a more sunny vibe than the new actor, which given what took place behind the scenes makes me that much more impressed with his performance. We don't know the whole story but I don't believe that being uncomfortable with sex scenes that are far outside the realm of your own sexuality = homophobic. We don't know that man's sexuality.  Lana Wachowski was trans when this show came about, I'm sure the actor was at least aware of that and that there would some LGBT themes in the series. I wonder if his "creative differences" had anything to do with the fact that the character lives in Africa and would seemingly have some internal struggle with same sex interaction and orgies, and I'm talking about Capheus being put off, not the actor. You're gonna have this young, straight male character from an extremely homophobic part of the world getting it in with multiple dudes without a second thought? I even have to call bs on that and maybe Aml Ameen did too. Hell, the same can be said for the other straight male characters.  The only one who ever seems taken aback is the Indian woman.

This show would be a hard gig for someone who's modest/not so willing to let their freak flag fly. The orgy scene in the bathroom stall alone would cause me to chuck deuces.  Speaking of orgies, were the non Sense8 folks always able to join in the fun? I remember the 8 interacting, but this time Nomi's gf, Lito's bf and homegirl were all in on the action and that seemed new. I really should re-watch the previous seasons of these Netflix shows before starting the new ones, because I always forget.

The slurs written on the car window...sledge meet hammer. That being said I'll still probably check out season 2, the first couple of episodes anyway.

The Wachowski's must have a tremendous amount of goodwill built up from the Matrix franchise. Everything they've done post-Matrix has just been so WTF?! and they continue to put out films and shows and cast big time actors. Sense8 is probably the best of the bunch (with the least well known actors).

Edited by Negritude
  • Love 4

I don't think the significant others are joining the Sense8 orgy, they are the people the Sense8's are having sex with it at the time they all share that feeling. At that particular time almost all of them were having sex. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Negritude said:

I had this on last night while I was doing other things around the house and it never completely caught my attention and it seemed like every time I did look over at it, there was some sort of montage happening. Was it that montage heavy in the 1st season? I don't remember.

I think there was only two montages but it was in a two hour period of time.  I am not sure if I am counting the orgy or not so maybe three?   There were alot of montages and song numbers and whatnot in the first season but usually only one or two every couple of episodes so it didn't look like as many.   The Christmas episode was in large part introducing a "new" character but also it was Christmasy so alot of heartwarming awwwww thrown in there with the actual story.  So I guess it looked montage heavy but I think there was only two or possibly three.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

I have missed my senates, and I loved this! I noticed that season 2 is 10 episodes, so, really, add these two hours on to make the full 12. This time frame happens to include Christmas, so put the first two hours up early—works for me. :D 

I thought the new Capheus very much captured the pure joy and sunniness of the character, but he does look a little less boyish. He's lovely, though. 

Still in love with all the characters (except Whispers and "Bent Dick"!). And I'm glad we got to see Jonas again. 

She has the least to offer with the other sensates, so I have to think that it'll change. 

She had one moment last season using her chemistry knowledge to make explosives. Drugs continues to be a theme on the show. Riley obviously has illegal drugs covered, but Kala may yet have to pull out her pharmaceutical knowledge. 

One thing to note is Aml was born in the UK to parents who were from the Caribbean- Jamaica and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines to be exact- so that might be why he had issues with the LGBT content that he would have to participate in if the reports are accurate.

Toby on the other hand (based on his twitter location) lives in Los Angeles and from what I remember is American.

On 12/27/2016 at 11:08 PM, kieyra said:

Either the actor didn't make his requirements clear up front, or the nature of the show was not made sufficiently clear to *him*, which I guess is what, a casting failure?

Granted that we're all speculating... There are also plenty of examples on record in the last few decades of movies, of actors enthusiastically agreeing to everything specified in advance (anything to get a role!), and then trying to finesse their way out of it when the situation actually arises during shooting.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this special. Not a whole lot happened, plot-wise, other than the Sensates seemingly needing to work together in season 2 to save Will and get Nomi off the hook.

Some of the storylines in the show are fairly dull, but the characters, and the actors playing them, all have so much charm. I'm always more interested in character than plot, so this show really works for me.

Tuppence Middleton has a smile that can light up the world, and I enjoyed seeing Riley as the source of strength for Will instead of being the vulnerable one. I wasn't thrilled that the other Sensates didn't seem to be at all interested in how Will was doing, though. But I guess they had their own problems.

Nomi calling Lito a drama queen made me laugh out loud, because he so totally is. His drunken wallowing in his empty hot tub while bemoaning the loss of Hernando and a flip-flop showed that. Loved seeing his mother being so accepting, despite the rather extreme reactions of everyone else. And I was proud of him just deciding to say 'fuck it' and own who he was. But that still wasn't as awesome as Hernando owning that douchebag who was trying to humiliate him.

New Capheus will take some getting used to, but he was okay, and still had good friendly chemistry with his buddy. But I think I care about his storyline the least, alongside Sun, who really just needs to get out of prison.

Kala is absolutely stunning, and even with all the nudity, I was just grateful they got her into a bikini. But trying to be happy with Rajan, while yearning for Wolfgang, is just going to end in tears. I like the way they've used the trope of good girl and bad boy, with the twist of Wolfgang's world of casual violence and crime being so utterly foreign and horrifying to Kala. 

I love Nomi and Amanita's relationship, and that they have such a loyal support network, but they really need to get out of the country. How about a trip to Mexico, to meet Lito and friends, in season two?

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I love Nomi and Amanita's relationship, and that they have such a loyal support network, but they really need to get out of the country. How about a trip to Mexico, to meet Lito and friends, in season two?

I like this idea-- but it might be very hard on them to be anywhere as intolerant as that, given how Lito's being treated. I wonder where would be safe, though, given how many places are already demonstrated to be hostile. I wish the show wasn't built around "Sensates vs Bad Guys"; there could be plenty of story without that, and I get tired of constant war.

1 hour ago, nosleepforme said:

I care the least about Wolfgang's storyline. He's just such a cliché of a character that it is not even funny anymore. Besides, as a Berliner, the whole Gangster stuff seems awfully out of place with its setting.

I actually like his storyline but then I do enjoy stories of  people engulfed in worlds of casual violence but what makes it more interesting is his love for a woman who is not just horrified by it but has no frame of reference for it.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I care the least about Wolfgang's storyline. He's just such a cliché of a character that it is not even funny anymore. Besides, as a Berliner, the whole Gangster stuff seems awfully out of place with its setting.

It took me a while to warm to Wolfgang, because the eurotrash gangster stuff did feel very clichéd. But I like his loyalty to Felix and, as Chaos Theory pointed out, the pairing of him and Kala provides a lot of contrast to both their worlds. However, that talk of Berlin being equally and neatly divided into four gangster 'kingdoms' felt very silly.

I also find it interesting that he's the only criminal of the bunch (well, maybe Nomi's hacking has broken a few laws), but there's no judgement whatsoever from the other Sensates. Will, the cop, has no qualms about helping Wolfgang, nor does Lito or anyone else. Only Kala is upset by what he does, and that's more down to her mix of desire and empathy for him, and her utter bemusement at the violence.

I guess that's just part of the Sensate bond, though. Just like none of them blink at Nomi being transgender or Lito being gay, when the cultures they have grown up in may not be accepting of that.

I mean, all of this stuff is very clichéd in its set up. Capheus the Kenyan Matutu driver, who needs HIV drugs for his mother, and ends up stuck between organised corruption and gang violence? Lito the Mexican movie star hiding his homosexuality because he fears it would ruin his career? Cliché is very hard to avoid but as long as it's used to tell a good story, I'm okay with it.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Kala + Wolfgang is the classic cliche of "good girl" and "bad boy"

Yeah, I mentioned that in an earlier post. If this was a fantasy story, she'd be a princess and he the scrappy commoner who has to fight for survival. But I like the twist of Kala being exposed to a lifestyle that is utterly alien and horrifying to her, in its violence and danger. She's getting a first hand look, with no way of censoring it, but it's not shaking her belief in Wolfgang, because she feels like she knows him on the inside.

It's the trope turned up to eleven by the incredibly intimate circumstances in which they 'met'. Just like Will/Riley is the hero/damsel trope, at its core. The stories connect, because they hit familiar beats, but then they take them in interesting ways.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I actually like his storyline but then I do enjoy stories of  people engulfed in worlds of casual violence but what makes it more interesting is his love for a woman who is not just horrified by it but has no frame of reference for it.  

Didn't she see her future father-in-law get ... attacked or gunned down or something? In S1. 

I do get the point you're making, just countering that she hasn't been that sheltered. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Didn't she see her future father-in-law get ... attacked or gunned down or something? In S1. 

I do get the point you're making, just countering that she hasn't been that sheltered. 

By a bunch of monks trying to keep a temple that she wanted to keep and she was horrified that she was a part of such brutality.  The mere idea that "her friends" would attack someone horrified her to her core.

• Love 1

I don't think it's unreasonable to be offended that people you know tried to kill someone in cold blood right before your eyes.

In general, I find Kala boring and annoying because her sole conflict seems to be that a very nice person wants to marry her and she doesn't know how to say no. It's not even like anyone is pressuring her to do it, she just doesn't seem to have the ability to be honest about her lack of interest. Wolfgang isn't the real issue, because she wasn't interested in Rajan even before she met Wolfgang.

But I'd be plenty upset if I were witness to a murder (or attempted murder), and even moreso if it was done to someone I was close to, by other people I had trusted.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4

I think Kala's conflict is that she doesn't know who she is or what she wants.  It's something I understand but I admit doesn't play well on the screen.   It's easy to have the actiony storylines.  Those are fun but to essentially have everything you are supposed to want but realize that doesn't make you happy is hard to play and often turns people off.   She loves her boring husband but he is boring and she wants to be with the more thrilling Wolfgang but his casual violence horrifies her.  I don't think she actually wants to be a part of either world; decadent privilege or casual violence and I think it would actually be interesting to have her make her own world.

If I am reading her right of course.

• Love 7

Finally caught up with the Christmas special. It probably didn't need to be a two hour long episode and the ongoing Whispers strand certainly wasn't advanced but it was still an amazing episode nonetheless.

The birthday and orgy sequences were both extremely well done and recreating the latter could've easily been a disaster but it worked so well.

Will and Riley's roles have completely reversed since we last saw them but they've gotten stronger as a couple.

I took to the new Capheus pretty well and found the new face jokes actually amusing.

Lito/Hernando for the win. Hated the way their relationship was revealed but loved the support they got from Daniella and Lito's mother though.

Sun really needs to get out of that prison and hopefully she will early on in Season 2.

Kala and Wolfgang, I see why they're taking it slow with them. I do like that Rajan is sympathetic too and it was nice to see Felix out of his coma too. Loved Wolfgang's last line in this one.

More great scenes with Nomi and Amanita. I also liked having Bug and Amanita's family around too.

The music was on fine form as was the acting, dialogue and character moments and there were far too many moments. Cannot wait for Season 2, 10/10

• Love 1