Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E05: Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, Ellee said:

I'm pretty sure they are all required to stay also.  What I'm not sure of is how lenient TPTB might be with the cheftestants contact with the outside world.  In my mind, with the type of business they are in, it's hard to believe that they can be away for that length of time without contact. Computers these days would enable the contact without us normals (lol at me considering myself normal :D ) being aware of who is still in the competition and who is not. 

It's usually no more than 6 weeks to film the season. They are sequestered the entire time. Everyone lets all of the important people in their lives know that they will be out of contact for that entire time.

Production takes their phones, tablets, and computers. They have no way to contact the outside world unless production allows them. It's the reason they were all taking fake selfies with Sheldon's hand. Their friends, families, and businesses can only contact the producers who will decide whether to pass along information to the contestants. They sign nondisclosure agreements. If the contestants leak info about the competition, they usually have damages starting at about $20 million. That's pretty typical for competitive reality shows.

Production usually takes possession of the contestants medications too. Though in Sam's case, he probably has his insulin in his possession all the time.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Jobiska said:

Speaking of the mac and cheese, I was surprised that he kept running around and asking who might have "AP flour."  I'm no chef, but All-Purpose flour to me is just "flour," with modifiers added for bread, cake, self-rising, whatever.

Apparently, there is a difference according to this article.

You may be able to use bread flour as a thickener for sauce if you don't have any all-purpose flour, but it may not be the best choice. ... The extra proteins that make bread flour so perfect for bread work against it as a thickening agent. Bread flour has less starch, and starch is the key ingredient for thickening sauces, gravies and pie fillings. ... The more starch in the flour, the easier the sauce will thicken. And the more flour you use, the thicker the sauce will be.

Also, when John was asking around, no one volunteered an alternative flour (no, but I have ....), only the xanthum gum.

• Love 1

Could the xanthum gum have been a "Let's see what John does with this....will he screw it up by adding too much? Will he blab that he used it before they taste it?" Because I was wondering why Katsuji had xanthum gum in the first place, for baked beans? Then again, he throws everything but the kitchen sink into the pot.

• Love 1
On 12/30/2016 at 5:05 AM, SuzWhat said:

Oh, Emily. She says "no one is comforting me as much as they comforted Brooke".  This after she just got done saying to Brooke "I hope you don't blame me for the failure".  Brooke then said "no it was all my fault".  Of course, people are going to provide encouraging words to Brooke.  This tells me a lot about Emily and I don't like it much.  

Ha - what went through my mind at that point is that Brooke has friends in the competition, Emily is an unknown to most of these people.  Of course Brooke's friends were comforting her - they KNOW her!

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Jobiska said:

I also didn't think it was that weird that John explained about the xanthan gum.  I agree that he wanted to be seen as "problem solver," but I also thought that he might suspect Tom had been fed tidbits of info to ask about, so he might as well admit to it.  

Tom also asked something about it. I think he saw some cooking pan.

Just to clarify, when I said "to me AP flour is just 'flour,'" I meant if I said to my husband "buy flour" or "pass me the flour jar" I would expect to get AP flour, not that I think it's interchangeable with the more specialized flours.  I meant the term, not the contents or use!  Like if I said "get me some water" I'd expect tap water, and if I wanted seltzer water I'd ask for that, or spring water, or whatever--I would not say "get me some tap water."

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Because I was wondering why Katsuji had xanthum gum in the first place

I wonder if that is one of the things he brought along - in the context of cheftestapants allowed to bring with them a few things for their cooking use. (Like John Tesar and his black truffles)

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

It's usually no more than 6 weeks to film the season. They are sequestered the entire time. Everyone lets all of the important people in their lives know that they will be out of contact for that entire time.

Production takes their phones, tablets, and computers. They have no way to contact the outside world unless production allows them. It's the reason they were all taking fake selfies with Sheldon's hand. Their friends, families, and businesses can only contact the producers who will decide whether to pass along information to the contestants. They sign nondisclosure agreements. If the contestants leak info about the competition, they usually have damages starting at about $20 million. That's pretty typical for competitive reality shows.

Production usually takes possession of the contestants medications too. Though in Sam's case, he probably has his insulin in his possession all the time.

Yes.

Although I thought the penalty for disclosure of any relevant info (in the Top Chef contracts) started at around $1 million rather than $20 million? Still plenty of money to pay if one blabs.

I wasn't aware of the crew taking the cheftestapants' medicines, though. Do they "dole out" the requisite doses each time to whichever cheftestapant? Or hand over the vial - under "supervision"/observation - then take away the vial afterwards? What if a cheftestapant arrives with only a monthly supply (the filming does take usually 6 weeks, as you say) --- does the crew arrange for refill of the prescription?

ETA: It used to be a parlor game of sorts in past years for folks to ask around, before a season "started on TV", which chefs people had noticed had recently "gone silent" on their social feeds, or were observed not to be around in their restaurants for several weeks...

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 3
On 1/1/2017 at 2:36 PM, lisalionheart said:

Maybe. But she was talking about the "veteran women" comforting Brooke, right? I think that the real divide there was that the veteran women are (mostly?) friends. They probably get thrown together a fair bit at events and appearances. Emily's a newbie to the Top Chef social circle. Perhaps she's already rubbed them the wrong way, but I think it's quite likely that they just ... cared more about Brooke.

Indeed, I think that the existing bond between the veterans is a major advantage over the rookies.

Yes.  What it showed me is that Emily may have that annoying tendency to look at what others get and compare it to herself.   I'm thinking she may see life as a zero sum game.   Life isn't, in my opinion.   And yes, I'm judging her early and based on little evidence.   LOL.     

• Love 1

I agree TC was dumb.

Sylvia's potato salad looked like slimy brownish grey mess. yuck!  I would take a bite out of Katsuji's beans (and regret it) but I would not put that potato salad anywhere near my mouth :P

• Love 2
On 1/2/2017 at 11:29 AM, AriAu said:

I kept looking at John Tesar's smile and thinking that in the back of his mind he is saying...."I am not going to be an asshole this time, I am not going to be an an asshole this time....I am going to be nice....I'm going to keep smiling....I am going to help people....I am going to go against everything in my nature.....I am going to save my reputation.....I am going to shut up......."

Oh, absolutely! John is very aware of his reputation and how he's acted in the past and has made a conscious decision to be better - and since he's been quite successful at it, that effort makes me like him even more.

16 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Not a fan of them being driven "deep into the country" to get to the barbeque joints.  Talk about hokey and overwrought.  Maybe they should have hired Miss Daisy to go on the drive with them.

I think a big reason they went into the country is that Rodney Scott was guest judge and his place is in Hemingway, SC (about 1 3/4 hr drive from Charleston per Google Maps). I'm a recent transplant to FL and am reading The Southerner's Handbook, given to me by a friend. Just a few days before I saw this episode, I happened to read a section about Rodney Scott and how he's one of the iconic BBQers in the South - and my father used to live in Hemingway - so it stuck with me.

Edited by Babalu
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Babalu said:

Oh, absolutely! John is very aware of his reputation and how he's acted in the past and has made a conscious decision to be better - and since he's been quite successful at it, that effort makes me like him even more.

John has been so likeable this time around (not that I thought he was that heinous last time-- I happen to be watching his first season on Hulu on my elliptical every morning). There's a calm that often comes with "middle age." 

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, chiaros said:

I wonder if that is one of the things he brought along - in the context of cheftestapants allowed to bring with them a few things for their cooking use. (Like John Tesar and his black truffles)

Could be, I hadn't thought of that.

I wasn't aware of the crew taking the cheftestapants' medicines, though. Do they "dole out" the requisite doses each time to whichever cheftestapant? Or hand over the vial - under "supervision"/observation - then take away the vial afterwards? What if a cheftestapant arrives with only a monthly supply (the filming does take usually 6 weeks, as you say) --- does the crew arrange for refill of the prescription?

They do that on Survivor, so I'm guessing they do it here as well. And as for a penalty for blabbing, most all NDAs start at 1 million. Which is enough to scare anyone silent.

1 minute ago, dleighg said:

John has been so likeable this time around (not that I thought he was that heinous last time-- I happen to be watching his first season on Hulu on my elliptical every morning). There's a calm that often comes with "middle age." 

He also has a child now, which can go a long way into changing a man. :)

• Love 2

I agree, @cooksdelight. I think the fact that he's happier in his personal life has gone a long way to make him more appealing. (Conclusion re: his happiness level was reached via a 5-second talking head and a photo of him with his wife and child. What kind of reality TV watcher are you if you don't make snap judgments?)

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Babalu said:

I think a big reason they went into the country is that Rodney Scott was guest judge and his place is in Hemingway, SC (about 1 3/4 hr drive from Charleston per Google Maps). I'm a recent transplant to FL and am reading The Southerner's Handbook, given to me by a friend. Just a few days before I saw this episode, I happened to read a section about Rodney Scott and how he's one of the iconic BBQers in the South - and my father used to live in Hemingway - so it stuck with me.

Yep. Scott's and Sweatman's are routinely named the best BBQ in the state, and both happen to be out in the country not too far from Charleston. (I've never been to either, since I'm clear on the other side of the state - not that it's that far, but neither one is on-the-way to anything.) Any other place they went would have gotten the "why did they go there?" side-eye from the locals, even if they were perfectly good restaurants. Those two are the gold standard around here.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, bitchin camaro said:

Yep. Scott's and Sweatman's are routinely named the best BBQ in the state, and both happen to be out in the country not too far from Charleston. (I've never been to either, since I'm clear on the other side of the state - not that it's that far, but neither one is on-the-way to anything.) Any other place they went would have gotten the "why did they go there?" side-eye from the locals, even if they were perfectly good restaurants. Those two are the gold standard around here.

Sorry.  I'm happy they went to those two places.  Their food looked fantastic, all the employees were enthusiastic and descriptive about what they were doing, and I bet it all tasted great.

My objection was to Padma intoning the phrase "traveling deep into the country" like they were headed on a submarine ride.  Say something about how to get to the best spots, you have to travel away from Charleston.  Mention the town or county you are going to.  Say anything to avoid using a hokey phrase.  I have the same objection when players on Survivor tell someone else that they will take them "deep into the game."

If use of the two different sauces is geographically based, you could say that you were going to cross the sauce line and head over to the next joint. Why don't they hire *me* to write this crap.

• Love 6

Padma likes to sound superior to everyone else. Everyone else is a peon. I, too, would have appreciated a map showing a star over whatever location they were at, along with a road from Charleston.... so those of us peons who live nearby (I'm in WNC) can find the place.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Padma likes to sound superior to everyone else. Everyone else is a peon. I, too, would have appreciated a map showing a star over whatever location they were at, along with a road from Charleston.... so those of us peons who live nearby (I'm in WNC) can find the place.

It was probably scripted and Google would be more reliable than a nonspecific map flashed on the screen.

1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

Sweatman's Barbecue in Holly Hill, the first place they visited with the mustard based sauce, is not really all that far from Charleston.  It would probably take about 50 minutes and a good portion of the drive would be on Interstate 26.  To get to Scott's in Hemingway from downtown is a trek, closer to two hours on smaller roads.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

It was probably scripted and Google would be more reliable than a nonspecific map flashed on the screen.

As a graphic designer, I'm looking at this from the standpoint of how much nicer it would be to have some colorful graphics to take us down the road on a TV show, than Padma telling everyone it's in the fricken boondocks.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Sweatman's Barbecue in Holly Hill, the first place they visited with the mustard based sauce, is not really all that far from Charleston.  It would probably take about 50 minutes

Depending on one's perspective "50 minutes" may or may not fall into one's personal definition of "not really all that far". I mean, I dig in a major metro area and if you're talking mostly freeway, sure it's not a giant trek or anything. Certainly it's still "in the area", but it's also farther than I'd go, say, for just a single meal unless I were also doing something else along the way. 

2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

As a graphic designer, I'm looking at this from the standpoint of how much nicer it would be to have some colorful graphics to take us down the road on a TV show, than Padma telling everyone it's in the fricken boondocks.

Excuse me!  Queue ominous tones....that's deep in the fricken boondocks.

• Love 2
On 12/30/2016 at 5:53 AM, hkit said:

Why on earth would John volunteer to Tom that he used xanthan gum in lieu of flour to thicken his bechemel for the mac and cheese? If it works (which it apparently did), say nothing and let people ask. Brag about your work around at judges table after it was a success

On 12/30/2016 at 8:21 AM, archer1267 said:

I thought the same thing! No matter how good it is, if someone told me I would be eating a Mac and cheese with xanthan gum, my mind would be predisposed to find the taste or the consistency somewhat off.

If you ever ate mac and cheese from a mix you most certainly have already eaten it made with xanthan gum.  In fact reproducing that texture is kind of a thing, apparently:

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

http://postmodernistcuisine.blogspot.com/2013/04/perfect-nacho-cheese.html

and I'd guess Tom knows how tricky it is to use correctly - a little goes an awfully long way. So it would be a good move for John to point that out to him.   Until recently xanthan gum was not something you'd find in the grocery store - but these days it's used extensively in vegan and gluten-free cooking, baking especially, and you can buy it in many retail stores :

http://www.bobsredmill.com/xanthan-gum.html

In terms of Katsuji bringing it with him -  I'd bet Katsuji is familiar with its use since it's also used in kosher cooking for the same reason it is in vegan cooking - to do non-dairy "dairy."  

Also while I don't know what Bacon Chipotle might mean in Katsuji's restaurant - you can make bacon out of turkey, lamb, duck.......the  lamb bacon we can get from the halal butchers is delicious - but they tend to sell out early in the day.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
On 1/3/2017 at 4:52 AM, cooksdelight said:

Could the xanthum gum have been a "Let's see what John does with this....will he screw it up by adding too much? Will he blab that he used it before they taste it?" Because I was wondering why Katsuji had xanthum gum in the first place, for baked beans? Then again, he throws everything but the kitchen sink into the pot.

Hilariously had Katsuji given Sylva the xanthum gum to thicken his sauce, it's possible that Sylva might have stayed away from the ketchup and Hoisin sauce.

On 1/3/2017 at 8:44 AM, chiaros said:

Yes.

Although I thought the penalty for disclosure of any relevant info (in the Top Chef contracts) started at around $1 million rather than $20 million? Still plenty of money to pay if one blabs.

ETA: It used to be a parlor game of sorts in past years for folks to ask around, before a season "started on TV", which chefs people had noticed had recently "gone silent" on their social feeds, or were observed not to be around in their restaurants for several weeks...

I've actually never seen a Top Chef contract, but I've seen ones for other shows. There have been allegations on other shows (Face Off and Project Runway) that producers have messed with the contestants' medications. 

9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I've actually never seen a Top Chef contract, but I've seen ones for other shows. 

I saved a pdf of the "contract"/application for TC S14 – but the forum software does not allow me to post it. So I converted the 20pages of it to jpg files - and the software here ALSO severely limits the size of the files I can upload. So I shrunk down the relevant jpg files to a mere "7% save" to get under the ridiculous limits of the forum.

Anyway, here are pages 17 and 18 of the "application", dealing with "confidentiality".

tc14_casting_application 00017red.jpg

tc14_casting_application 00018red.jpg

• Love 6
On 12/30/2016 at 3:09 PM, LuciaMia said:

Also bizarre that so many chefs complaining that they've never made biscuits.  They've never been taught the basics of quick breads?

Also, did they not know they were going to Charleston?  I don't know much about cooking, but even I know that biscuits are a staple of southern cuisine.  Wouldn't you bone up on cooking the items you know they're probably going to ask you to make?  I'm honestly confused.  To me, that's like having the show in Philly and the chefs saying they've never made a cheesesteak. 

• Love 1
On 1/5/2017 at 0:39 AM, HunterHunted said:

I've actually never seen a Top Chef contract, but I've seen ones for other shows. There have been allegations on other shows (Face Off and Project Runway) that producers have messed with the contestants' medications. 

On 1/5/2017 at 10:42 AM, chiaros said:

I saved a pdf of the "contract"/application for TC S14 – but the forum software does not allow me to post it. 

On 1/5/2017 at 9:36 PM, sourpickles said:

Wow.  While this clears up a lot of stuff..........damn, that's a lot of words.

I re-found the link, still active, to the pdf of the "agreement" on the nbcuni server.

http://bravo-video.nbcuni.com/misc/tc14_casting_application.pdf

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, chiaros said:

I re-found the link, still active, to the pdf of the "agreement" on the nbcuni server.

Thank you very much for posting this, it was interesting reading!  (Yes, I know, standard contract and all that but my life is not that exciting to see one!).