Type keyword(s) to search

DuckTales - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't know how this was obtained, but someone found a very short snippet of the upcoming Halloween episode, and it seems to be genuine.

Spoiler

It looks like Huey is dressed as Gizmoduck, Louie just put on Huey's hat, Dewey has an eye-patch and a Hawaiian shirt, and Webby is some sort of one-eyed, winged monster. I'm slightly disappointed the triplets weren't dressed as a witch, a ghost, and a devil.

• Love 2

I was just thinking of something. As I was tuning through the channels, I saw Alvin and the Chipmunks and I thought to myself...hmm...where have I seen these personalities?

Alvin: impulsive and reckless, but well meaning,  (Dewey)

Simon: intellectual, stickler for rules (Huey)

Theodore: lazy, likes to eat, somewhat cowardly (some aspects of Louie)

Of course, the Chipmunks had their equivalent Chipettes: 

Webby (Brittany): acts before thinking too, likewise well-intentioned. (Dewey)

Violet (Jeannette): loves learning (Huey)

Louie and Lena (Eleanor) are an interesting pairing as both of them are con-artists acting against their nature struggling to be on the good side. 

I know the creators have said that Webby has been de facto adopted into the McDuck clan so effectively she's their sister, but she is Dewey's counterpart.  

1 hour ago, DrScottie said:

I was just thinking of something. As I was tuning through the channels, I saw Alvin and the Chipmunks and I thought to myself...hmm...where have I seen these personalities?

Alvin: impulsive and reckless, but well meaning,  (Dewey)

Simon: intellectual, stickler for rules (Huey)

Theodore: lazy, likes to eat, somewhat cowardly (some aspects of Louie)

Of course, the Chipmunks had their equivalent Chipettes: 

Webby (Brittany): acts before thinking too, likewise well-intentioned. (Dewey)

Violet (Jeannette): loves learning (Huey)

Louie and Lena (Eleanor) are an interesting pairing as both of them are con-artists acting against their nature struggling to be on the good side. 

I know the creators have said that Webby has been de facto adopted into the McDuck clan so effectively she's their sister, but she is Dewey's counterpart.  

And Alvin and Brittany were bascially the leaders so Dewey and Webby would be the leaders?

I hope Penumbra is going to stick around on Earth for a bit.  I need an episode where she and Della go on an adventure together, now that she's finally willing to admit that they're friends.

7 hours ago, starri said:

I hope Penumbra is going to stick around on Earth for a bit.  I need an episode where she and Della go on an adventure together, now that she's finally willing to admit that they're friends.

Most of the Moon people are sticking around so I'm sure Penumbra and Della will get up to shenanigans, also Penumbra and Launchpad are going to have some interactions as well!

New promo!

Edited by Popples
Found a better quality of the promo
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Vanderboom said:

Dewey was made for a studio audience. 

It's not terribly surprising. He's been hosting his own talk show for a while now.

Those were really fun episodes. 

The right duck won the Senior Woodchuck challenge and now we have a plot for this season of new treasures to find and that Quack Pack episode was great!

Huey recognizing it was a TV show reminded me so much of his voice actor's role as Abed on Community. 

Of course F.O.W.L. had the place bugged. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 5

How long ago was that lady founder of the Woodchucks, Isabella Finch, if Scrooge McDuck was reading about her adventures when he was a little boy. I thought Scrooge McDuck was a couple hundred years old.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, starri said:

Violet has two dads!?!?!?!  That's AWESOME!

Most definitely. Here's even more which might explain why Lena was so rooting for Violet:  According to the DuckTales Wiki, Ty and Indy Sabrewing are the ones fostering Lena making Violet her foster sister. Here's the producer, Frank Angones, on that: 

"Canonically, Lena has moved in with Violet’s family. It started as Violet keeping her for observation and she just moved in. This was originally mentioned in “Nightmare on Killmotor Hill” but had to be cut for time unfortunately. That’s how Violet knows Lena hasn’t been sleeping."

• Love 5

I needed something to make my day better, and the discovery that marriage equality exists in the Ducktales Cinematic Universe pulled it off.

OTOH, while Jaleel White was perfectly adequate, Gene really needed someone who can do Rip Taylor's kind of manic energy.

• Love 5
On 4/4/2020 at 11:07 PM, AnimeMania said:

How long ago was that lady founder of the Woodchucks, Isabella Finch, if Scrooge McDuck was reading about her adventures when he was a little boy. I thought Scrooge McDuck was a couple hundred years old.

According to The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, Scrooge was a child in 1877 when he acquired his Number One Dime, which fits with Finch's adventures being published in the format shown in the episode.

All that would point to Scrooge being around a century and a half old in the present.

I absolutely loved this episode! I love the Rescue Rangers origin and that they played the theme song as their leitmotif. I demand a reboot for them as well. Hopefully they pop up again.

Competent Launchpad was a treat, even though I love him just the way he is.

I never expected Scrooge getting addicted to Skee-Ball would ever happen, but him hoarding tickets and wanting to build a bin for them was so in character and then only being able to exchange all of those damn tickets for a mustache comb was hilariously, yet frustratingly, true.

• Love 3

There's a lot I loved about Scrooge discovering skiball and Smart!Launchpad and Dewey singing something resembling the last Bond song but all that got overshadowed by the RESCUE RANGERS!!!!!!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

Just like Mickey Mouse, The Rescue Rangers were one of the few Disney properties the Ducktales crew weren't allowed to use, but here's a Twitter thread on how they got away with it:

• Love 1

I liked that Smart!Launchpad still had a good heart and tried to protect Dewey. I'm not sure why no one in F.O.W.L thought to zap Steelbeak. 

Also: I refuse to believe that I was the only one who sang 🎶🎵"Ch-ch-ch-chip and Dale! Rescue Rangers!"🎵🎶 during this episode.

• Love 3

So, the original "Double-O Duck" episode of "DuckTales was supposed to be

the "Back Door Pilot" episode of Lauchpad's spin-off.

Lauchpad was to rejoin the agency and

was to "help" a real suave secret agent overcome evil forces.

The idea of an "ace" hero saddled with a bumbling sidekick is nothing new.

(Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, Mighty Man and Yukk,

Space Ace and Astro's Space Mutts just to name a few)

However, with the "less than stellar" response to Timothy Dalton James Bond

and the incredible success of Michael Keaton Batman,

it was decided to turn the main hero from a Bond expy into a Batman expy

and the episodes that were written involving the spy stuff

were "tweaked" and DW was now assisting a secret spy agency as a freelance employee.

I was waiting for the joke in which after they show Gadget in the video,

they then show Chip and Monterrey helping her, and then they show Dale,

who is making faces at the camera, at which the woman then replies,

"We decided to experiment with him and only subjected him to the ray half as long."  

3 hours ago, Popples said:

Just like Mickey Mouse, The Rescue Rangers were one of the few Disney properties the Ducktales crew weren't allowed to use, but here's a Twitter thread on how they got away with it:

DC Comics has had a similar problem with Donna Troy.   The 2002 Teen Titan cartoon only

showed an extreme close-up of her face on a monitor

and even "The Judas Contract" animated movie could not mention her name at the end.

• Useful 1

I spent the entire episode trying to place Steelbeak's voice.  When I saw Jason Mantzoukas' name in the credits, it was so blindingly obvious.

Reading the story of how they pulled off getting the Rescue Rangers cameo, I'm even more impressed by the producers than I already was.  I hope the overwhelmingly positive response this got convinces Disney to either move ahead with whatever they had planned for them, or at least lets them pop up again.  I can't imagine what Gadget and Gyro would get up to together.

• Love 1

I can best sum up my feelings on this episode by a word Gadget would have most certainly used: Golly! 

Having watched every episode of "The Good Place," as soon as I heard that voice I shouted "Derek?" Yes, Jason Mantzoukas was indeed Steelbeak.

13 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

Also: I refuse to believe that I was the only one who sang 🎶🎵"Ch-ch-ch-chip and Dale! Rescue Rangers!"🎵🎶 during this episode.

You're not alone. I did too. 🙂

• Love 3
On 4/12/2020 at 1:04 PM, Vanderboom said:

11 hours ago, DrScottie said:

You're not alone. I did too. 🙂

Fresh prints

Not since

Watson and Mr. Holmes

Have two minds (two minds)

So fine (So fine)

Looked under every stone

I bet some of you didn't know that (just like Ducktales (nice moves, Queen Bey))

Chip and Dale has a second verse (and is actual much longer).

It would be like if you never saw the Ghostbuster movie or were alive back then,

and you just saw the cartoon and someone pointed out that their song was longer too.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

Chip and Dale has a second verse (and is actual much longer).

Great stuff. 🙂

The first Disney Afternoon cartoons all had extended songs. As a kid, my older sister owned the Disney Afternoon soundtrack with songs from the original 1990 lineup of the Gummi Bears, DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, and TaleSpin. It's on YouTube here

• Love 1

Maybe this is the Season of Huey? And maybe Webby? I feel like we've spent a lot of time learning about Dewey and Louie (and Webby)and what makes them tick.. 

Gotta love the shout-out to The Little Mermaid: "Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?" I also liked Retta as the harp.

• Love 4

For what was basically a remake of "Raiders of the Lost Harp," it was really good. In neither case did they end up with the Harp, but it was probably for the best anyway.

Of course, both ended with "You're fibbing, fibbing, fibbing!" In the original one, the idea that Scrooge was okay with having returned the Harp to the guardian made the nephews call him out on that. They were also delighted that the Harp couldn't call them out anymore for lying to him. 

Now, this episode was interesting because the Harp called out Mrs. Beakley for not keeping any other secrets from her granddaughter. Was the 10 years in the mansion just to isolate her from the harsh realities of the outside world or something else also? 

Retta did a great job with the role. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 3
On 4/20/2020 at 4:06 AM, DrScottie said:

Now, this episode was interesting because the Harp called out Mrs. Beakley for not keeping any other secrets from her granddaughter. Was the 10 years in the mansion just to isolate her from the harsh realities of the outside world or something else also?

Has Mrs. Beakley been keeping the real truth about Webby's parents from her? Is Mrs. Beakley even Webby's biological grandmother? What are the secrets? The end of that episode is turning me into a conspiracy theorist.

On 4/19/2020 at 1:30 PM, Vanderboom said:

Maybe this is the Season of Huey? And maybe Webby? I feel like we've spent a lot of time learning about Dewey and Louie (and Webby)and what makes them tick.. 

Gotta love the shout-out to The Little Mermaid: "Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?" I also liked Retta as the harp.

DuckTales Co-EP Francisco Angones On Why Season 3 Is Huey's Year.

I like how Louie was the one who jumped into the investigation head first, especially since last year started out with him fearing he was the load of the gang. We also learned that Della has ichthyophobia, which is interesting for a duck.

RETTA!!

• Love 2

Of course Duckburg's answer to Anna Wintour is Mark Beaks' mother.  

I'm not usually a fan of Louie-heavy episodes, but all of the thick and fast references to action movies (and an always-welcome appearance by Gabby McStabberson) made this one a lot of fun.

Donald and Daisy make a great couple.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, starri said:

Of course Duckburg's answer to Anna Wintour is Mark Beaks' mother.  

Of course she would be. 

What a great combination of Ocean's Eleven, The Devil Wears Prada, and all sorts of action movies like Die Hard, etc.  

Daisy was amazing. I fully expect we will see her again. Boys, say hi to your future Aunt. 🙂 

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, starri said:

Emma Glamour's name was originally Anna, but I guess that was too on-the-nose.

True. They could have gotten sued by Vogue for that. They could have excluded Miranda also. Even if you didn't remember the name Anna Wintour specifically, had you seen "The Devil Wears Prada" you'd know she was a take on Meryl Streep's character in the movie. Otherwise, it's still obvious she's a rich elitist snob so it works anyway. 

The "Hear My Voice" scene was surprisingly touching. Daisy rules!

There's something strange about Mark Beaks and his family. Remember when he turned up at that rich kid's (name escapes me) party with a son he built himself? Now we see him at another exclusive party with his mom as a tastemakers. Is there something about Louie and parties that makes Mark family-oriented?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, Vanderboom said:

The "Hear My Voice" scene was surprisingly touching. Daisy rules!

There's something strange about Mark Beaks and his family. Remember when he turned up at that rich kid's (name escapes me) party with a son he built himself?

Daisy does indeed rule. She and Donald are perfect together and I really hope she's back soon. Maybe it just me but I felt that "Hear My Voice" sounded similar to "Remember Me" from Coco.

As for the rich kid, you are thinking of Doofus Drake who is totally different from his character in the original cartoon. 

On 4/27/2020 at 12:16 AM, DrScottie said:

Maybe it just me but I felt that "Hear My Voice" sounded similar to "Remember Me" from Coco.

You're so right! Now that you mention it, I can't believe I missed that.

18 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

You're so right! Now that you mention it, I can't believe I missed that.

Given that his bandmates are from Mexico and Brazil, I suppose it's not that surprising and maybe was intentional. Also, the Mexico Pavilion in Epcot in Disney World has a Gran Fiesta ride with "The Three Caballeros." It ends with a Day of the Dead celebration.    

Edited by DrScottie
(edited)

Interesting remake of Pinocchio for the 21st century. Instead of marionettes, it's robots.

The younger intern Gyro or should I say Geppetto, in this case, looked quite a bit more like the Gyro from the 80s cartoon.  

There's the dichotomy between Huey and B.O.Y.D. Huey is a boy wishing he were more of a robot to stand up to the bullies and B.O.Y.D. is a robot who wants more to be a boy.  Danny Pudi, the voice of Huey, played the autistic savant Abed Nadir in Community. Abed commented that people had regularly compared him to a robot and once fell in love with a computer program during an elaborate digital simulation.  

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 3
On 5/2/2020 at 4:45 PM, AnimeMania said:

Did anybody see a Hyoutan-tsugi, you can't do a legitimate homage to Tezuka without including one somewhere in the story.

star-hyoutantsugi.png.90a008e621ad216be1adb4742a4ba779.pngHyoutan-tsugi

The statue in the park, the one Akita come out of, has the same shape.

Was there a theme song on this episode?

10 hours ago, elle said:
On 5/2/2020 at 6:45 PM, AnimeMania said:

Did anybody see a Hyoutan-tsugi, you can't do a legitimate homage to Tezuka without including one somewhere in the story.

star-hyoutantsugi.png.90a008e621ad216be1adb4742a4ba779.pngHyoutan-tsugi

The statue in the park, the one Akita come out of, has the same shape.

Was there a theme song on this episode?

That seemed to be more of a joke on Hachiko, the dog statue at Shibuya Station in Tokyo, Japan.

bronze-statue-of-akita-dog-g6-vladi-alon.thumb.jpg.e1cba47be612495eff2f2a5f72e10f3c.jpg

Sometimes when people get hit really hard, they look like the Hyoutan-tsugi, it tends to appear only for a second or two. I may have to watch the episode again just to check, there was so much going on in the background. I was getting ready to go somewhere, so the episode didn't have my full attention. Glomgold does a lot of those celebrity advertisements that only air in foreign countries.

I loved Huey geeking out over the chance to analyze their experiences if they explored the city rather than returning to the lab. 

Glomgold's billboard reminded me of Joey's Japanese commercial. "Ichiban! Lipstick for men!"

There was a lot of hugging in this episode! I loved Gyro being all 'okay but when we go back to Duckburg that stops!'

• Love 3

Love that Gyro's young self was basically his OG Ducktales design. That version wasn't nearly as savage.

I love this reboot. We get more character depth to characters like Gyro, Webby, Beakley, Scrooge and Donald FINALLY gets some appreciation after being the butt of every joke since the moment Disney first drew him.

• Love 4
On 5/4/2020 at 9:29 AM, AnimeMania said:

That seemed to be more of a joke on Hachiko, the dog statue at Shibuya Station in Tokyo, Japan.

bronze-statue-of-akita-dog-g6-vladi-alon.thumb.jpg.e1cba47be612495eff2f2a5f72e10f3c.jpg

Sometimes when people get hit really hard, they look like the Hyoutan-tsugi, it tends to appear only for a second or two. I may have to watch the episode again just to check, there was so much going on in the background. I was getting ready to go somewhere, so the episode didn't have my full attention. Glomgold does a lot of those celebrity advertisements that only air in foreign countries.

Dr. Akita’s secret entrance is through the Akita statue.  Love the little touches the show adds like this, even I did not recognize the statue was supposed to be a dog.

I did catch the buff Glomgold ad.  Is that something we’ve seen before?

I wonder what happened to Boyd before Beaks found him.  Is he supposed to be still with the Drakes?

• Love 1
On 5/2/2020 at 2:43 PM, DrScottie said:

Interesting remake of Pinocchio for the 21st century. Instead of marionettes, it's robots.

There was such a sweetness to BOYD that I wasn't expecting.  He reminded me of Data.

Even Gyro got to be more human.  I had low expectations out of this one, but of the non-arc episodes we've gotten throughout the run of the series, this might honestly be my favorite.

• Love 5