Type keyword(s) to search

DuckTales - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

I love this version of Gizmo Duck as well, and I loved this episode. It was a lot of fun and I laughed out loud several times. I was trying to remember if we saw Fenton's mom in the original, but the post above reminded me that she was indeed in it. Didn't she wear a robe and curlers all the time? I also seem to remember her having a brief romance with someone else on the show...was it Scrooge?

Speaking of romance, I wonder if we'll see Fenton's girlfriend this go-round as well. Can't remember her name...something goose-related.

This whole re-boot has been so much fun.

We did see Mama without the curlers in the original Super Ducktales movie that introduced everyone. Fenton got tired of her sitting in front of the TV all the time. She cleaned up and showed she had blonde hair and even when she dated Scrooge briefly. He even asked her why she uses the curlers all the time and she said it kept her natural hair curly. But like I said, it was the show trying to explain the Crackshells were basically a poor family. I remember a critic saying it was refreshing to know that even though Fenton was Gizmo Duck and working for Scrooge, they weren't magically living in the mansion like all the other characters. I do remember the show creators saying when they were going to add diversity to Fenton it was going to be more than people expected and I have to say it's a really welcome change. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I hate fake outs, so the whole thing of Magica revealing herself to Webby/getting the dime being a dream made me mad. Although I did love the Easter egg OG puppet Webby.

On the other hand, Lena's full on possessed now. I hope that moves the story along faster. I want to know what the deal with the dime is!

I did love the subplot of the boys adopting a Bigfoot that turned out to be a con artist. Louie outscamming him at the end was hilarious.

Next week: HOLY CRAP IT'S DON CARNAGE! Are we getting a Talespin crossover?!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I hate fake outs, so the whole thing of Magica revealing herself to Webby/getting the dime being a dream made me mad. Although I did love the Easter egg OG puppet Webby.

On the other hand, Lena's full on possessed now. I hope that moves the story along faster. I want to know what the deal with the dime is!

I did love the subplot of the boys adopting a Bigfoot that turned out to be a con artist. Louie outscamming him at the end was hilarious.

Next week: HOLY CRAP IT'S DON CARNAGE! Are we getting a Talespin crossover?!

I know, but at the same time, the creators are at SDCC said everything with Magica is coming to an end in War of the Shadows the finale on August 18th. Saying that everything with Magica and Lena will make sense by the end and then lead into the second season and what happened to Dela. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I was okay with the dream sequence because they played fair with setting up the mechanism for it and YET I still fell for it, right through Doll!Webby getting zapped. At that point I figured they'd undo it, but I hadn't realized that we weren't in the 'real world.' I also thought it made sense they wanted to give viewers a clear look into Lena's head and where her loyalties ultimately lie and that someone as non-confrontational and desperate to escape as Lena would need a shock to the system like that to realize that there's no way Magica getting the dime is good news for Webby's safety and her own. I'm also impressed at how dark and violent Webby's 'death' was allowed to be, even as a doll. The emotional throughline sold the whole thing for me. 

The Bigfoot subplot made me laugh, as did Louie regaining his crown as king of cons in the manor. He might wanna avoid the woods from now on though. 

Edited by SilverShadow
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I want to know what the deal with the dime is!

Most denizens of the DTU think it's a lucky charm that brings the bearer wealth, which is why people like the Beagles want it.  Scrooge himself doesn't really believe that (but on some occasions he did lose his wealth after losing the dime, only to restore his fortune (and usually increases it) after regaining the dime.)  He places more sentimental value on the dime, since it was the first money he earned.  To him, it's a symbol of how he really became the world's richest duck; with hard work and by being tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties.

Potential spoiler:

Spoiler

Per the old comics and original series, Magica doesn't really believe the rumor either.  She actually believes the opposite; that Scrooge's wealth gives the dime power.  The first coin earned by the richest person in the world is a key component in a particular magic spell.  If she could melt the dime down and turn it into an amulet (while Scrooge is still the richest), she would gain the Midas touch.

• Love 4

That was a lot of fun and there were Easter Eggs all over the place. If only there would be been a line saying: "My great grandfather told me to beware of pilots from Duckburg. Should have stayed in Cape Susette."

• Love 1
2 hours ago, readster said:

That was a lot of fun and there were Easter Eggs all over the place. If only there would be been a line saying: "My great grandfather told me to beware of pilots from Duckburg. Should have stayed in Cape Susette."

Or a cameo of Baloo and Kit. *sigh*

LMAO at Launchpad applauding the number.

12 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Or a cameo of Baloo and Kit. *sigh*

They put out a teaser for the rest of the season at ComicCon that showed Donald holding up a brochure for Cape Suzette that had a picture of the Sea Duck on the cover, so never say never.  It also showed Magica in the flesh.

• Love 3

"Your parents are still alive?!" "I can't believe YOU'RE still alive!" LOL, my exact reaction.

Scrooge trying to pass Launchpad off as Donald made me laugh. As did Webby's excitement-induced coma. Too bad she didn't get any of her answers.

Im glad all the boys are up to date on the Della mystery. And the fact that her treasure hunt was all a big prank on Donald confirms that she's definitely their mom.

We even got an origin story of the dime! Surprisingly poignant.

• Love 8

Was that a nod to "The Saint"? (sorry I do not have the exact quote)

Scrooge - makes reference to the Templar treasure 

Fergus - You mean, Simon's treasure?

Webby on overload was hilarious. I also love the fact we really got to see Scrooge's parents. Both in the original comics and animated series. They were just referred to, or shown in a few flashbacks. Wow! Louie having emotional turn and mad at Dewey and Huey saying how Dewey does it to seem important. So spot on. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, readster said:

Louie having emotional turn and mad at Dewey

I...may have had an emotion turn about that myself.

No one was credited as the voice of Fergus or Downey.  I wonder why.

5 hours ago, starri said:

No one was credited as the voice of Fergus or Downey.  I wonder why.

According to the wiki page, Graham McTavish and Ashley Jensen respectively.

• Love 1

The DuckTales theme song states that they might solve a mystery and they solved a few of them in this one. The Spear of Selene was a rocket ship. It was implied that she was dead, but now we know why Scrooge gave up adventuring because his niece was the DuckTales equivalent of Amelia Earhart. As it turned out, he did try everything he could to save her. Considering Scrooge is 150 or so, I suppose it's possible she somehow made it to a life sustaining planet like Amelia Earhart did in that episode of Star Trek: Voyager and is still alive, but right now, they'd have to presume she's dead like Donald and Scrooge do. Nonetheless, I don't see a body and Launchpad has proven that crashes can be very survivable. 

I don't think that will stop Dewey and his brothers (and Webby) from trying to find her. Who knows, maybe she got stuck in a time vortex and is hanging out with Bubba Duck and Tootsie? 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, DrScottie said:

The DuckTales theme song states that they might solve a mystery and they solved a few of them in this one. The Spear of Selene was a rocket ship. It was implied that she was dead, but now we know why Scrooge gave up adventuring because his niece was the DuckTales equivalent of Amelia Earhart. As it turned out, he did try everything he could to save her. Considering Scrooge is 150 or so, I suppose it's possible she somehow made it to a life sustaining planet like Amelia Earhart did in that episode of Star Trek: Voyager and is still alive, but right now, they'd have to presume she's dead like Donald and Scrooge do. Nonetheless, I don't see a body and Launchpad has proven that crashes can be very survivable. 

I don't think that will stop Dewey and his brothers (and Webby) from trying to find her. Who knows, maybe she got stuck in a time vortex and is hanging out with Bubba Duck and Tootsie? 

I'm seeing now how we are leading to the 1 hour finale now. I also see season 2 being about them trying to find out what happened to Delia and also what happened with the other explorers. Where did they all go? I get now why the Vultures were on Scrooge so much. 

• Love 1

Well, that ending hurt like hell.

The boys were being really harsh. Yeah, Scrooge built the rocket, but Della was the one that stole it and flew it right into a storm, despite having three kids on the way. And Scrooge did try to talk her out of it and nearly went broke trying to find her -- even though they don't know about the last part.

Okay, now that we finally know what happened to Della, there's one more thing: who and where is the boys' father?! 

The one bright spot was the Darkwing Duck end credits Easter egg. Lol what an earworm.

Hope everyone makes up in the season finale next week. Can't wait!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The boys were being really harsh. Yeah, Scrooge built the rocket, but Della was the one that stole it and flew it right into a storm, despite having three kids on the way. And Scrooge did try to talk her out of it and nearly went broke trying to find her -- even though they don't know about the last part.

I think it was understandable that the nephews were harsh. They just found out what Donald and Scrooge never divulged before about the events leading to Della's death/disappearance. The end of the long search to find out the truth and it's that their mother was herself responsible for abandoning them. It was the confirmation of Dewey's worst fear. Fortunately, my mother is still very much around, but I couldn't even imagine how I would react to being hit with that ton of bricks.  Despite his emphasis that he tried everything he could, they didn't believe him likely in part because they were still processing that. To be fair, it was hard to believe that the richest duck in the world wouldn't have some contingency plan or be able to improvise a solution like Scrooge often does. He's Scrooge McDuck. He should be able to do everything especially save a member of his family. In their minds, had he not built that rocket, their mother would still be there. However, it's really not on him especially if/when the boys find out how much he invested in trying to save her, but I totally get why they lashed out. 

6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Hope everyone makes up in the season finale next week. Can't wait!

Scrooge didn't do himself any favors either, but I can easily see why being reminded of his greatest personal failure and then being called a liar on top of that really set him off. They all said things in the heat of the moment and once things settle down, cooler heads will prevail. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I think it was understandable that the nephews were harsh. They just found out what Donald and Scrooge never divulged before about the events leading to Della's death/disappearance. The end of the long search to find out the truth and it's that their mother was herself responsible for abandoning them. It was the confirmation of Dewey's worst fear. Fortunately, my mother is still very much around, but I couldn't even imagine how I would react to being hit with that ton of bricks.  Despite his emphasis that he tried everything he could, they didn't believe him likely in part because they were still processing that. To be fair, it was hard to believe that the richest duck in the world wouldn't have some contingency plan or be able to improvise a solution like Scrooge often does. He's Scrooge McDuck. He should be able to do everything especially save a member of his family. In their minds, had he not built that rocket, their mother would still be there. However, it's really not on him especially if/when the boys find out how much he invested in trying to save her, but I totally get why they lashed out. 

Scrooge didn't do himself any favors either, but I can easily see why being reminded of his greatest personal failure and then being called a liar on top of that really set him off. They all said things in the heat of the moment and once things settle down, cooler heads will prevail. 

You also get Beckly's reaction too. She says it perfectly: "You pushed your family away... again, I hope you are happy." I don't think she knew what happened either, or the fact Scrooge couldn't tell her all the work he put into finding Dela. The Vultures all know and the way it was depicted, they realized at one point, that there was no point anymore and why he gets dragged away in the flashback. They were trying to tell him he tried, he spent all the money he could and there was no more of a point. Donald didn't even know how much Scrooge was trying to find his sister and Donald had a perfect reason for walking away. This leads perfectly to see how Scrooge just gives Lena the Dime in the previews. He doesn't care and at that point he is basically: "Sure, have it for a bit, who cares." Until Magica makes her reappearance. 

On 8/4/2018 at 11:08 AM, elle said:

Was that a nod to "The Saint"? (sorry I do not have the exact quote)

Scrooge - makes reference to the Templar treasure 

Fergus - You mean, Simon's treasure?

I'm not sure why I am unable to edit my previous post, so I am quoting myself.

Fergus actually says "So Scrooge told you about Simon's treasure but not about his family".  Scrooge then explains to the boys about Simon McDuck, the accountant for the Templars.

Considering they could have used any name and that there have been nods to The Avengers and The Prisoner, I am definitely taking this as an oblique reference to The Saint

5 hours ago, readster said:

You also get Beckly's reaction too. She says it perfectly: "You pushed your family away... again, I hope you are happy." I don't think she knew what happened either, or the fact Scrooge couldn't tell her all the work he put into finding Dela. The Vultures all know and the way it was depicted, they realized at one point, that there was no point anymore and why he gets dragged away in the flashback. They were trying to tell him he tried, he spent all the money he could and there was no more of a point. Donald didn't even know how much Scrooge was trying to find his sister and Donald had a perfect reason for walking away. This leads perfectly to see how Scrooge just gives Lena the Dime in the previews. He doesn't care and at that point he is basically: "Sure, have it for a bit, who cares." Until Magica makes her reappearance. 

Yup, which means Scrooge must have made his employees sign one hell of a non-disclosure agreement.  This was only about 10 years ago in show time - not a peep about how notorious skinflint Scrooge McDuck suddenly spent billions on some mystery project? 

Hopefully when Della reappears (that's not a spoiler, just conjecture) she acknowledges how monumentally stupid and reckless she was.  Granted, that seems to be a family trait but at least it's usually a team effort, not just one of them going off solo.

I'm playing catch up since I missed the past, oh, month's worth of episodes and yesterday's seemed like a gigantic bombshell.

The Other Bin of Scrooge McDuck: Bigfoot! Oh yeah, loved Louie's Kids. And am I the only one who would've liked to have seen Webby's take on The Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck?

The Lena/Webby plot was a lot better than the Bigfoot one (although I liked how Louie ultimately outsmarted him). I never thought I'd see the Quacky Pack doll seem so...disturbing. That entire plot was nuts. I so want to see more of the Other Bin.

Sky Pirates...In The Sky: "Stickers are for kids. Grownups call them decals." Man, so great to see Don Karnage again, and his song was great. And it's totally like him to obsess over the choreography rather than the treasure. I wasn't all that keen on the episode revolving around Dewey, but I liked this one anyway.

The Secret(s) of Castle McDuck: Forget how old Scrooge is, how old are his parents?! I guess accidentally cursed with immortality would do that. I'd also never expect the rest of Clan McDuck to ever get representation in animation, Sir Swamphole McDuck is a hell of a deep cut, and seeing the ghosts of all the other McDucks was awesome.

Loved seeing Launchpad try to imitate Donald.

On 8/4/2018 at 11:59 AM, Spartan Girl said:

"Your parents are still alive?!" "I can't believe YOU'RE still alive!" LOL, my exact reaction.

Scrooge trying to pass Launchpad off as Donald made me laugh. As did Webby's excitement-induced coma. Too bad she didn't get any of her answers.

Im glad all the boys are up to date on the Della mystery. And the fact that her treasure hunt was all a big prank on Donald confirms that she's definitely their mom.

We even got an origin story of the dime! Surprisingly poignant.

All of this. Also, I'm sure the origin of the Dime was also in "The Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck" and I was wondering when that would come up.

The Last Crash of The Sunchaser: Ha, the Maltese MacGuffin. And of course we get some actual danger for once instead.

"Experimental race cars!"
"Lasers!
"Aeroplanes?"
"You bet!"

The Darkwing Duck credits were great. I caught a credit for "Graphic Blandisher."

And holy crap, that ending. If David Tennant doesn't get some kind of award for this episode, there's no justice.

16 hours ago, DrScottie said:

This. I'm hoping Della is on the moon, and we get that awesome music from the Capcom game.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

This. I'm hoping Della is on the moon, and we get that awesome music from the Capcom game.

OMG! I loved that theme growing up. It's to me one of the greatest video game themes ever.

For those who don't know, there are three official variations of it. 

The original NES Moon level

The fantastic Moon level remake from the DuckTales Remastered game

A wonderful piano version played in the end credits of the Remastered game

They are all worth a listen, but the last one is particularly moving. I don't remember chopping onions, but I guess I was. 

• Love 2

Holy crap, Magica was on the back of the dime because her body was trapped in it! And Lena was HER shadow? Didn't see that one coming. So...she's normal now? We'll see her again, and she didn't disappoint at all.

Donald Duck sounding normal is still weird. 

It was great to see everyone back for the finale. I'm just sad that we didn't see Donald taking down Shadow Gizmoduck.

As for Della...HOLY CRAP I CALLED IT. Pretty sure I heard a few bars of the Moon theme when we saw her. I'm so hyped. (EDIT: The credits have her voiced by Paget Brewster and that's perfect casting once again)

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Pretty sure I heard a few bars of the Moon theme when we saw her. I'm so hyped.

I heard it too. It was definitely the Moon theme. A show with as many callbacks as this one would have never passed that up. 

I'm still processing this episode and I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next season. 

• Love 1

What a wonderful finale to a wonderful season.

Next time someone goes on a diatribe that reboots are an abomination, I'm going to point to this show.  Reboots can often do many things wrong.  This one did almost everything right.

• Love 7

What a finale!

LMAO at Sad Sack Scrooge.

So THAT was why Magica wanted that dime: her body was trapped inside! Did not see that coming. Sad that Lena sacrificed herself, but at least Webby knew that she cared. And they'll always be together now that she's her shadow. That's kind of sweet.

Mrs. B rules.

Normal-sounding Donald was weird, but damned if he wasn't badass. Don Cheadle was clearly having a blast with that.

Wow, Magica isn't even semi-phemonimal and nearly cosmic anymore. (Points to anyone that can guess that reference.) 

I can't wait for season two now that we know Della is on the moon.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Wow, Magica isn't even semi-phemonimal and nearly cosmic anymore. (Points to anyone that can guess that reference.) 

The Genie said that in Return of Jafar. Aladdin freeing him lessened some of his cosmic powers, but it did release him from his itty-bitty living space. I didn't look it up, so how many points do I get for that? 

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Sad that Lena sacrificed herself, but at least Webby knew that she cared. And they'll always be together now that she's her shadow. That's kind of sweet.

I liked Lena too even if she was just a construct of Magica. The magical friendship (MLP) she had with Webby allowed her to develop her own identity and I'm sad to see her go too.
Speaking of Webby, yet again we see how well her grandmother taught her to be prepared. I have enjoyed this upgraded ninja spy version of Webby who is still very sentimental at her core. 

3 hours ago, starri said:

Next time someone goes on a diatribe that reboots are an abomination, I'm going to point to this show.  Reboots can often do many things wrong.  This one did almost everything right.

It's always seemed to me to be written more for those fans of the original animated series and the Disney Afternoon in general than a younger audience. I've liked the changes they've made to make it more current while paying lots of homage to the previous show. As you said, it looks like they managed it very well from our perspective, but I don't know what kids today think of it. 

In any case, I'm really looking forward to the next season. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 3

What a great finale! Yes, some reboots are great and this is where you take notes on how to do it right. Great cliffhanger with Della and I'm looking forward to Season 2 and maybe, just hopefully a trip to Cape Sauzet. 

• Love 1

agree with everything: this is how you do a reboot!!

Season two: the search for Della!!         

But I do insist that they visit Cape Suzette next season as a backdoor pilot for the return of Tail Spin!

And while I'm on that subject, I nominate Tom Holland to be the voice of Kit (hey if they can get War Machine to voice Donald Duck, Disney can get Spider-Man too). Either him or Cameron Boyce.                                                                                                                                             

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrScottie said:

The Genie said that in Return of Jafar. Aladdin freeing him lessened some of his cosmic powers, but it did release him from his itty-bitty living space. I didn't look it up, so how many points do I get for that? 

20 points!

• Love 2

I have a lot, but the visual gags involving Manny stomping his foot and then it being subtitled never failed to crack me up.

That, and Scrooge's indignation that Santa Claus couldn't come into the manor because "he knows what he did."

• Love 5

I got a solid laugh after Magica disappearing via smoke bomb, then seeing her limp away.

Also hearing Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy's voices coming out of murderous kelpies will never not be funny.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 4

Just finished my catch up of the season.

Catherine Tate may have made her bones in comedy, but I thought she was very effective as a villain that made good use of her comedic abilities, striking the perfect balance that made Magica funny, but at the same time clearly a threat that needed to be taken seriously.

And she had a killer evil laugh.

My number one wish for season two is a loose adaptation of Treasure Of The Lost Lamp. Back in Jaw$, Webby showed Lena the Grimoire Du Merlock. Merlock was the villain from that movie. I can see the two disgraced magic users teaming up to get revenge against our heroes.

And in  my headcanon, he's voiced by John Barrowman. The Doctor Who connections are already there, why not roll with it?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Last Time Lord said:

My number one wish for season two is a loose adaptation of Treasure Of The Lost Lamp.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a take on Treasure of the Lost Lamp especially as you pointed out the Grimoire. They've done takes on quite a few of the original series episodes so I would fully expect one on the movie as well. According to WIkipedia, Dijon along with other characters will be there in season 2 so that could be a sign that they will be doing an episode on that.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a take on Treasure of the Lost Lamp especially as you pointed out the Grimoire. They've done takes on quite a few of the original series episodes so I would fully expect one on the movie as well. According to WIkipedia, Dijon along with other characters will be there in season 2 so that could be a sign that they will be doing an episode on that.

And apparently, at SDCC, they showed a character model that looks very similar to how Merlock looked in the movie. 

Very, very interesting. 

• Love 2
On 8/13/2018 at 4:18 PM, DrScottie said:

OMG! I loved that theme growing up. It's to me one of the greatest video game themes ever.

For those who don't know, there are three official variations of it. 

The original NES Moon level

The fantastic Moon level remake from the DuckTales Remastered game

A wonderful piano version played in the end credits of the Remastered game

They are all worth a listen, but the last one is particularly moving. I don't remember chopping onions, but I guess I was. 

I loved the Moon theme in The NES video Game. But I loved the game and all the Music Period lol

• Love 1

And we kick off the new season with a Raiders of The Lost Ark parody! Well done!

I loved how Scrooge got so hyped up for a game night. "If we lose, you're out of the will." Wow, he and Donald were actually bonding. Of course Donald would be so much better at nonverbal communication than actual speaking.

And OF COURSE Scrooge has his own version of Monopoly. In which he always wins.

"Launchpad has crashed so many times I'm convinced he's immortal!" He might be, LOL.

So happy this show is back!

• Love 5

I loved that the "step, turn, step turn, step turn, dodge and step" bit was to the tune of the opening notes of the theme song and Duckworth's ghost bailing on game night. Can't wait to re-watch to pick up all the little things I always miss on the first viewing.

• Love 2

Great Season 2 opener.

Spoiler

It also really set up the idea that Louie is the triplet that will be most in focus this season.

I loved the resolution that Louie is the big picture guy. Poor Huey's breakdown was super adorable too. And I enjoyed Gyro attempting to become a God King.

• Love 1