Type keyword(s) to search

DuckTales - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wasn't really fond of this episode. The flow seemed off, or something. And the storyline seemed a bit disjointed, like the whole ep should have been focused on the shenanigans of game night, or the shrink ray/mini society. Speaking of which, where did the little mini beings come from? How'd they end up in Scrooge's house? How did Gyro know about them? How have they never been stepped on? And how the fark did they move so quickly? I don't know...just seemed weird to me.

Did love everything about Launchpad's little adventure, though. MVP of the episode.

Still, excited to have new episodes to look forward to!

On 10/20/2018 at 8:03 AM, Spartan Girl said:

And we kick off the new season with a Raiders of The Lost Ark parody! Well done!

I loved how Scrooge got so hyped up for a game night. "If we lose, you're out of the will." Wow, he and Donald were actually bonding. Of course Donald would be so much better at nonverbal communication than actual speaking.

And OF COURSE Scrooge has his own version of Monopoly. In which he always wins.

"Launchpad has crashed so many times I'm convinced he's immortal!" He might be, LOL.

So happy this show is back!

And Donald's response: "I'm in the will?!"

I have also heard that Raiders actually took inspiration for that scene from the old Scrooge comics! (Don't have a source, but awesome if true!)

• Love 4

Funny that they got Tom Kenny aka Spongebob as the voice as the crazy undersea cousin.

Okay, as much as I love the gag of Launchpad having epic unseen adventures (and long lost girlfriends), one of these days we need an episode that follows him so we can see what's going on.

• Love 2

So Glomgold's identity and Scottish accent and even his beard was fake all along? Wow. Webby sure is good at pinpointing accents. And once again, how old is Scrooge?!

Too bad Glomgold got his memory back. Duke Baloney was a pretty cool guy.

Next week: THE THREEE CABALLAROS! YAY!

• Love 1

I think we saw him take the beard off in the episode that introduced Mark Beaks.  But DID he have it in his pocket the entire time?

My husband made the point that, despite Scrooge trying to impart the same season to wee Duke Baloney that Fergus gave him with kind intentions, it was kind of a dick move.  So, in true comic book fashion, Scrooge created his own arch-nemesis

.If memory serves, there was a multi-episode arc of the original in the original that involved Scrooge and Flintheart trying to prove who was the richest.  My memory also includes the line "A sea monster ATE MY ICE CREAM!" as part of that, so I hope we get an homage to that.

9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Next week: THE THREEE CABALLAROS! YAY!

The show has been good about modern cultural sensitivity, but I'm still a little wary.

• Love 3

The Caballeros reunion was awesome! LOL, all three of them lied about their success. And Donald's horrible singing destroyed the plant. Maybe the gang should keep that as their trump card for future big bads.

I love how Dewey and Louie were more concerned about taking selfies and posting them on the internet rather than experiencing the trip. Gee, where have we seen that before?

If the show is going to bring back Disney characters from the vault, maybe Goofy and Mickey can show up sometime? Just saying...

• Love 2

In the comics, Glomgold was always South African, wasn’t he? And they just changed it in the 1980s show because of Apartheid?

I think my favorite moment of the Caballeros episode went as followed:

Donald: I’ve done nothing with my life! I’m a failure!

Scrooge: Oh, you’ve never let that bother you, before. 

Me: *Laughs Way Too Loud*

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Last Time Lord said:

Donald: I’ve done nothing with my life! I’m a failure!

Scrooge: Oh, you’ve never let that bother you, before. 

There were so many great lines throughout the episode.  

And I'm ashamed that Donald's "Party Fowl" fanny pack made me laugh as hard as I did.

There's apparently an international series called Legends of the Three Caballeros that came out recently.  Only voice that it has in common is Tony Anselmo though.  

• Love 4

Hilarious episode. LOL that Dewey couldn't think of a single response when Louie said he'd make a horrible employee. And Donald stealing Scrooge's chandelier.

I love Donald and everything, but what does Storkules see in him?

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

Bringing in Mickey's Christmas Carol and then turning the theme song into a Sinatra-esque Christmas song? Do these people live in my head? Back in 1983 or whatever... I used to listen to the tape of Mickey's Christmas Carol to go to sleep. And I was hugely disappointed when the actual cartoon came on because the songs weren't a part of the show! Agh! But then last year I found the whole recording on Spotify and added it to my Christmas playlist and it's delightful whenever that 30-40 minute long thing comes on when I'm at work. Hee!

But I already love that the ghosts accidentally haunted Scrooge because they got the wrong Scrooge. Love it. Looking forward to watching this one, man.

• Love 1

Oh my God, this Christmas episode ruled! I loved everything! The holiday version of the theme song! The Mickey's Christmas Carol Easter eggs! Scrooge using the ghosts to party! Young Della and young emo Donald (voiced by OG Huey/Dewey/Louie)! Launchpad's 12 Days of Christmas!

LOL at young Scrooge not even being fazed seeing his older self, and Donald and Della knowing automatically that Dewey was a relative from the future.

I wonder what the story about Scrooge's grudge against Santa is about...

Yay, Della is getting off the moon!

• Love 6

Grunge Donald was the best thing ever.  I thought the voice sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place it.

I loved Mrs. B being so smitten by Yet to Come.

And of course, Donald's ugly sweater was a gift from Della.

This show really takes the theme of family and nails it every time.

• Love 5

That was a GREAT Christmas special.  What a way to start off the first day of December Christmas wise.  Great twist on Scrooge and the three ghosts.  Grunge Donald ruled and I liked that he had the old voices of the triples from the original show.  Lots of fun seeing Della but don't call her Dumbella.  I'd totally watching a spinoff.  Loved Launchpad's menorah sweater.  Great line by Scrooge when he said that he has a pilot who can't tell the difference between Christmas lights and landing lights.

Scrooging pogo sticking the wendigo is a nod to the old DuckTales video game.

Really well-done special with great emotional beats.  This will definitely become a new Christmas favorite of mine.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 6

I think this could crack my top 10 all-time favorite Christmas specials, I've watched it three times so far.

I freaked out when young Donald had the original triplets' voice. It was absolutely on point.

It was interesting to hear Jack McBrayer portray an antagonist, but it really worked with the jealousy and abandonment angle. I had never heard of a Wendigo, but loved the play on words with "When'd he go."

I've missed Launchpad so much the past few episodes, and really need his version of "12 Days of Christmas" for my holiday ringtone.

• Love 7

I demand time displaced from the 1990s pre-teen Donald show up in more episodes. The other side of that, however, is OH, GOD, THE '90S ARE A PERIOD!

On 12/3/2018 at 6:49 PM, Popples said:

I had never heard of a Wendigo, but loved the play on words with "When'd he go."

In some folk lore, Wedigos were people that were possessed by spirits and became monsters after resorting to cannibalism.

Merry Christmas. :)

• Love 2

I thought the episode where Glomgold lost his memory was very interesting. Part of me wishes he wouldn't he turned back, but of course he was going to. And hey, at least we got an origin story in how he became rivals with Scrooge in the first place.

I was at Disney World this week and found a set of DuckTales (current series) figurines in one of the shops.  If there had been a Mrs. B in it, I would have bought it on the spot.

And because the Google Mind Reading Algorithm continues apace, YouTube recommended this fairly awesome cover of the theme.

• Love 2

I can't believe Della had to cut off her own leg. Sure, they didn't show the graphic nature of it, I just didn't think the show would go there. Dewey got so much of her personality. I was wondering if she knew if they were going to be boys before they hatched and am pleased to find out she did. Maybe they can do sonograms on eggs in (I'm thinking way too hard about this).

When Scrooge finds out about the amount of gold on the moon, he might have a stroke.

9 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Wait, that's our only new episode til May?! Damn you, Disney Channel!

tenor.gif tenor.gif

• Love 2

Boy, did that one end up packing an emotional wallop.

That's one of the things that never ceases to amaze me.  The show is filled with fanservice, but it never actually feels gratuitous.  

• Love 4
On 3/9/2019 at 8:42 AM, Popples said:

When Scrooge finds out about the amount of gold on the moon, he might have a stroke.

El Capitan would certainly have one. My gold! Hic! 

That was an amazing episode. I'm sad we have to wait another two months for more. Della is awesome!

• Love 1

The Della Duck episode was a lot of fun and I like the character a lot.  I laughed when the moon king told his soldier (I can't remember name) not to shoot or she'd hit Della and the soldier stopped for a moment and then opened fire again.  Also "We have so much gold, we throw it out.  In golden trash cans."  Looks like we set up another storyline with this moon race.

Speaking of Della, here's a cool article about the decision to give her an artificial leg and how that was developed.

https://wcti12.com/news/entertainment/della-duck-intrepid-space-explorer-and-amputee-comes-to-tv

• Useful 4

This isn't a complete list and it has episode synopses, but it looks like when Ducktales comes back Tuesday, May 7, they're going to air a new episode every day.

Spoiler
Edited by Popples
Added spoiler tag
  • Love 2

Well, it wasn't quite like a reference to the movie, but a good episode nonetheless! I'm a little disappointed that there was no genie (anymore). Still, I loved Jinn and his story of how his ancestress fell in love with the genie and freed him was great!

• Love 2

OMG EVIL CLIFFHANGER! Della is back on Eath, but Donald is lost in space. And right before they could see each other! And now the moon people are going to invade -- never ever give your ship plans to aliens.

Sucks we have to wait til Monday to see what happens. But at least I have something to look forward to after Game of Thrones destroys me.

• Love 4

I mean, references to Evil Dead and the Sherlock Holmes Novel Seven Per-Cent Solution shouldn't surprise me, but every time the show makes a reference that's going to fly over kids' heads, it delights me all over again.

It's been a long time since I laughed as hard as I did when Glomgold made his entrance at Scrooge's funeral to "All I Do Is Win."  I feel bad for Zan Owlson.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, starri said:

It's been a long time since I laughed as hard as I did when Glomgold made his entrance at Scrooge's funeral to "All I Do Is Win."  I feel bad for Zan Owlson.

DIED laughing. 

• Love 1