Type keyword(s) to search

DuckTales - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Awww... when my son was young he'd literally run home from school to see this show. Alan Young passed away last year and my son, now 37, was moved by his passing.

Several months ago I found a Duck Tales shirt at Walmart and immediately bought it for him. He wears it with pride. Even had a gal who was about his age tell him how much she loved it. Very cool.

• Love 7

Wow. I was never a fan of Gizmo Duck, even though I love superheroes and robots. Having Lin-Manuel do the voice I'll probably change my mind! As long as he doesn't take over the show like GD did I'm okay with it.

I am surprised they are making Gladstone got that route unlike how he was in both the comics and the original series. He was unnatural lucky, but he was happy go lucky too. Here he is more of a rival who just falls into good fortune if he farts. As Beaks, that's an actual good idea given current billionaires who have the money, but care more about social presence and a few other things. I like they going to try and keep the Beagle Boys to the same voice actor to show more relationship between the various brothers. I know Magica is going to show up, but I wonder who will be her voice. Flintheart looks down right mean, I love it!

After seeing the D23 sneak preview, I have to say I really am liking where this series is going. I like this Webby much more then the original (I liked her then too). However, times have changed and I like this more aggressive Webby and how Uncle Scrooge is still adventurous, but a bit less serious. I do wonder how this will work with Donald though as I could count the amount of episodes he was in the original series on one hand, well kind of two, but you have to think of the pilot (mini series). 

So this show had a hell of a lot of hype to live up to...and dare I say it, it delivered, and more.

In the first episode alone we had references to:

-Donald's classic blue sailor suit (it got ruined)
-Cape Suzette
-St. Canard
-Spoonerville (from Goof Troop)
-Roxanne from A Goofy Movie (the dog girl sitting next to Donald looked a lot like her)
-The lamp from Treasure of the Lost Lamp
-The use of marbles (used quite well in the opening of Treasure of the Lost Lamp)
-Armstrong
-The Don Rosa family tree
-The giant coin from Treasure of the Golden Suns
-Dismal Downs
-A portrait of Angus & Downy
-Countless other references to the comics. Also, the pogo cane from the Capcom game is slated to appear (with Ludwig von Drake)

And then the second episode was a straight-up adventure, featuring Flintheart. He's such a delightful dick in this version, it's so great. He's more fatter, cheaper, more egotistical, and more Scottish than Scrooge, purely out of spite.

Atlantis being upside-down is just something that just screams DuckTales and I love it.

"DEWEY! Dewey will be the death of you!" I really loved how each character was fleshed out. Webby's interesting! She's been kept inside by Scrooge and Beakley, so she kind of went nuts, it really explains it. Mrs. Beakley was great, and Launchpad is pretty much perfect.

And holy crap...Della Duck was involved with Scrooge and Donald?! Now there's a mystery.

EDIT: So this show's been taking cues from the comic and the original cartoon, but it's more modern and doing it's own thing. I'm hyped, and I hate that we have to wait until September for more!

My only complaint was that these two episodes felt a little rushed. I know this isn't the 80s and the pilot would've been told in 5 parts instead of two, but the Atlantis story especially had all its beats happen pretty quickly.

"We need to find Atlantis!"
"There it is."

Among others. But I'm gonna chalk that up to it being the first episodes, I feel it'll nail the pacing after a while, too.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 6

This is the dumbest nitpick to have, but I used to watch DuckTales as a kid and I remember Scrooge having a more pronounced Scottish accent.  I miss it in this reboot. :(

I see why they were saying they were going to be plenty of references from all the various Duck series and the comics. They did it right, setting up future storylines, modernizing the characters without taking them away from their roots and giving a nice evolution of the characters. Problem with Webby in the original series was while she was popular, if you look at the first season, she was really a "girl who wanted to play with the boys." They changed in season 2 by having her be her own character and being on the same playing ground as the triplets. I still love the Gizmo Kid episode because that perfectly spotlighted the quartet perfectly. Here Webby has been the shut in who wants to break out and is more than Huey, Dewey and Louie can handle. Launchpad is truly perfect, they put in all the flaws, character traits from Ducktales and Darkwing Duck that worked and perfectly brought him to 2017. It was like he never changed. 

Flintheart is almost perfect too, he is a dick, he was in the orsiginal series too, he went to the extremes, but that what sets him and Scrooge perfectly apart. Scrooge kept his heritage and remember where he came from. His family humanized him. In Flintheart's case, he never had any of that. He worked for every damn penny he earned and feels the world owes him and he has no family to keep him footed. It's a great counter. 

1 hour ago, Mecca said:

This is the dumbest nitpick to have, but I used to watch DuckTales as a kid and I remember Scrooge having a more pronounced Scottish accent.  I miss it in this reboot. :(

David Tennant actually is Scottish,though.

• Love 12

that was awesome!!! I just want one thing.....a Duck Tales/Tailspin crossover episode. They mentioned Cape Suzette so they'd better have an adventure there just so we can see the updated Baloo and specially Kit. I get the feeling Khan and Scrooge are old business rivals.

• Love 4

I enjoyed it, and look forward to the more episodes.  I never got into the original, so its all new to me.  Hopefully if this is successful, they reboot other Disney shows, including the best one, The Gummi Bears. (Bouncing here, and there, and everywhere)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mecca said:

What it lacks in strength, it makes up for in authenticity :D.

I really enjoyed this premiere. I've already watched it a couple of times. It is definitely a premise pilot, which is fine. I actually like having the situation set up. It is a bit frenetic but I cant imagine they have that many episodes in a season so I will forgive it. I like that the boys look more different and Webby seems to have more characterization than just "little girl" (though desperately lonely seems to be a common trait in Disney). I did like the which one is the evil triplet question.

• Love 2

My 4 year old was most put out that Daisy never featured in the pilot. He loved it but kept asking where Daisy was. I know she never featured in the original series, or was ever even mentioned, but that was, imo, a mistake that I hope this series rectifies. She doesn't have to star in it but and occasional reference to her existence would be nice. She was in the three Christmas features with the triplets, two of which also starred Scrooge, so it would be nice to have her exist in this.

20 hours ago, Sara2009 said:

I still love Donald, but I had a hard time understanding him at times in this.

I was watching this on my laptop (the app was failing on my iPad). Captions helped immensely for this, at times.

His exasperated quacking - especially about and to the babysitter - is one of my favorite parts. I hope he has a big presence in every episode.

On 8/12/2017 at 11:22 AM, Mecca said:

I kind of wish he went with a bit more Scottish in his accent, because every once and awhile I would hear Killgrave (from Jessica Jones) and it would creep me out.

On 8/12/2017 at 1:02 AM, Galileo908 said:

And then the second episode was a straight-up adventure, featuring Flintheart. He's such a delightful dick in this version, it's so great. He's more fatter, cheaper, more egotistical, and more Scottish than Scrooge, purely out of spite.

The line about him being more Scottish might have been the best in the episode, although there were a few other contenders. 

Overall I liked this, the animation looked great, looked almost like a comic on the screen rather than just the usual boring 3D that looks like a 10 year old video game that most of the stuff my kids watch looks like.

My wife and I were cracking up at a lot of the jokes and our almost 7 year old was really enjoying it. It was the cliffhanger that got me when Dewey realized there was more to the painting and then went: "Mom?" We know Donald had a fall out of Scrooge and that fallout is what lead to where Scrooge is now. I loved when he said not to get into trouble and the boys said: "We promise Uncle Donald." then: "I didn't mean you!" 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I like besides having different voices the triplets have distinct personalities.

Right and many reviewers said that as a very good thing. As that was the problem in the original series. As much as they tried to give them their own stories, the boys did sound alike and had similar personalities outside of different colors. Webby was a breath of fresh air then since she was new and a good foil for the boys then, but in the end, she was the girl trying to play with the boys up to season 2 when they did the shift to her being more of her own person. This Webby I actually like more, she has spunk, a bit worried about scaring her grandma but actually scares the boys. Once again, Launchpad is Launchpad. I look forward to see Darkwing and seeing Launchpad being his #1 fan. 

Speaking of Webby, I like how the boys told her she had to lie to her grandmother to be responsible.  Just running off and not saying anything would make her worry, and that's irresponsible!  That's the kind of kid logic I expect from the triplets! :)

• Love 7
On 8/13/2017 at 9:36 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Overall I liked this, the animation looked great, looked almost like a comic on the screen rather than just the usual boring 3D that looks like a 10 year old video game that most of the stuff my kids watch looks like.

I liked the style too. 

On 8/12/2017 at 1:02 AM, Galileo908 said:

My only complaint was that these two episodes felt a little rushed. I know this isn't the 80s and the pilot would've been told in 5 parts instead of two, but the Atlantis story especially had all its beats happen pretty quickly.

I agree. His grand-nephews happen just show up at the time where he has three-quarter life crisis of wanting to go treasure hunting again. That was a bit contrived.

I suspect this is due to constraints in number of episodes. 

He warmed to them a lot quicker than he did in the old show and didn't even do his usual "This is too dangerous for you, lads" bit.  It's the reckless child endangerment we've come to know and love from DuckTales.
Some of the lines were pretty good: "Yes, sir! Random kid I just met." and where they call dibs on things in the treasure room/garage. 

I was a little annoyed with each commercial break with that guy saying: "Just enough time to write down your favorite things about me, Go!" Who says things like that? 

• Love 1

Loved it!  I like that each of the triplets have their own personality.  I already feel like I know a little bit about each of them, which was a pleasant surprise.  And David Tenant is PERFECT as Scrooge!  I can't wait for more!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Adira said:

Loved it!  I like that each of the triplets have their own personality.  I already feel like I know a little bit about each of them, which was a pleasant surprise.  And David Tenant is PERFECT as Scrooge!  I can't wait for more!

Tenant saying the classic lines such as: "Curse my kilts!" or "Bless me bagpipes!" Just had me smiling. Especially when he said: "I had to be smarter than the smarties and tougher than the toughies." 

i

• Love 4
On 8/15/2017 at 2:48 PM, DrScottie said:

He warmed to them a lot quicker than he did in the old show and didn't even do his usual "This is too dangerous for you, lads" bit.  It's the reckless child endangerment we've come to know and love from DuckTales.
Some of the lines were pretty good: "Yes, sir! Random kid I just met." and where they call dibs on things in the treasure room/garage. 

It provides a great contrast between him and Donald, especially since Donald's going to actually be involved in this show. Donald was the overprotective father figure, while Scrooge was gung-ho into getting into trouble properly.

"I can't keep track of ALL your sworn enemies!" was a favorite line of mine. Scrooge just has so many, and he keeps a few of them just sitting in his garage to gather dust! I absolutely love that about him.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

It provides a great contrast between him and Donald, especially since Donald's going to actually be involved in this show. Donald was the overprotective father figure, while Scrooge was gung-ho into getting into trouble properly.

"I can't keep track of ALL your sworn enemies!" was a favorite line of mine. Scrooge just has so many, and he keeps a few of them just sitting in his garage to gather dust! I absolutely love that about him.

Plus, when Webby was wondering who the boys were at first. She was naming off all of Scrooges enemies. We know that the Beagle Boys show up in the third episode and Magica is meant to show up midway too. Starting with Flintheart was a very smart idea. Showing how they differ and how Flintheart has been trying to 1-up Scrooge forever. 

• Love 1
On 8/14/2017 at 1:34 PM, readster said:

It was the cliffhanger that got me when Dewey realized there was more to the painting and then went: "Mom?" We know Donald had a fall out of Scrooge and that fallout is what lead to where Scrooge is now.

Precisely.  Even though I called it a few seconds before it happened, it's still a profound moment and informs the audience as to why the status quo of the first few minutes was what it was.  It covers:

• why Donald and Scrooge had fallen out
  • why Donald had custody of the boys (a huge point never really covered anywhere before)
  • why Donald was so overprotective of the boys
  • and (I think) why Scrooge was no longer an adventure capitalist

I think it's also appropriate given the new personalities given the boys that it was Dewey that found this.  Huey's been turned into the kinda dorky one (fitting, given his voice actor), with the travel bingo and the Junior Woodchucks reference.  Louie's now the "dark" one, the one most comfortable with deception.  Dewey's become the seeker, whether it be adventure or truth.  He's the one that overheard Scrooge complaining about family early in the episode, then called him on it using an ironic echo.

• Love 4
On 8/25/2017 at 5:39 AM, SVNBob said:

Precisely.  Even though I called it a few seconds before it happened, it's still a profound moment and informs the audience as to why the status quo of the first few minutes was what it was.  It covers:

• why Donald and Scrooge had fallen out
  • why Donald had custody of the boys (a huge point never really covered anywhere before)
  • why Donald was so overprotective of the boys
  • and (I think) why Scrooge was no longer an adventure capitalist

I think it's also appropriate given the new personalities given the boys that it was Dewey that found this.  Huey's been turned into the kinda dorky one (fitting, given his voice actor), with the travel bingo and the Junior Woodchucks reference.  Louie's now the "dark" one, the one most comfortable with deception.  Dewey's become the seeker, whether it be adventure or truth.  He's the one that overheard Scrooge complaining about family early in the episode, then called him on it using an ironic echo.

Right and that's what I like about this version of Ducktales, the characters are all unique. I grew up a Disney fan and watched Ducktales in the late 80s to early 90s from beginning to end. Leading to my love of Darkwing Duck. Though I thought Quack Pack was horrendous. But at with Quack Pack they were trying to get Huey, Dewey and Louie different personalities and they said in past interviews: "When you hit your teens, how much do you act like your siblings?" However,they went too far and made them unlikeable and I felt bad for Daisy when they brought her back in the series. I hope we see her here, especially if they are going to expand and bring in the Darkwing Duck cast and rumor that we will see Bubba towards the end of the first season. 

• Love 1

"He thinks he's so rich and so Scottish, but I'm wearing a kilt, McDuck!  A kilt!"

You know, that was phenomenally well done.  When they first revealed the art style, I was skeptical, mostly because I thought the colors were dull, but I really stopped caring by the time the self-explanatory headless man-horse showed up.  The exciting parts were exciting, every time they went for a joke, it was funny, and the modernizations they've made, like eliminating Scrooge's disdain for the poor and making Webby less passive, worked.

The lynchpin of the thing is, probably unsurprisingly, David Tennant, who is just so transcendently wonderful.  They could have cast him solely for his accent, and yet.  I hope Alan Young is smiling somewhere.

The one thing I want is to find out Mrs. Beakley is something more than a housekeeper.  Please, please, please let her turn out to be a former MI-6 agent, and be more of Scrooge's Alfred.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, starri said:

"He thinks he's so rich and so Scottish, but I'm wearing a kilt, McDuck!  A kilt!"

You know, that was phenomenally well done.  When they first revealed the art style, I was askeptical, mostly because I thought the colors were dull, but I really stopped caring by the time the self-explanatory headless man-horse showed up.  The exciting parts were exciting, every time they went for a joke, it was funny, and the modernizations they've made, like eliminating Scrooge's disdain for the poor and making Webby less passive, worked.

The lynchpin of the thing is, probably unsurprisingly, David Tennant, who is just so transcendently wonderful.  They could have cast him solely for his accent, and yet.  I hope Alan Young is smiling somewhere.

The one thing I want is to find out Mrs. Beakley is something more than a housekeeper.  Please, please, please let her turn out to be a former MI-6 agent, and be more of Scrooge's Alfred.

From what I read, they are making her a bit more like Alfred from Batman. Having her done some "various things" before she ended up as the housekeeper for Scrooge. I think they might go into her Prince Dredeck past a bit more than the original series ever did. In one of the shorts where the kids are running away from a ghost, she turns her vacuum onto ghost, sucks it up and keeps on going like it was nothing. Shows, that Beakley  hasn't been through this before, just like with Donald knowing how Uncle Scrooge is as they had many adventures together. I know they are planning Gizmo and Darkwing Duck this season, but I do hope we get more on Fenten's mother, why were they in a trailer home and why was she sitting around the trailer all the time? I know they were trying to originally say that where you come from doesn't equal who you can become or do. But since this version of Ducktales wants to actually go into depth about why the characters are where they are. I hope we get why Webby is in custody of Beakley since they are going to explain why Huey, Dewey and Louie have been in care of Donald all this time.