Type keyword(s) to search

Aftermath in the Media

• Start Topic

Several anti-Scientology sites have been enthusiastic about the show possibly spelling the end of Scientology. While I'm sure A&E is very pleased, the overall numbers aren't that high.

Weekly ratings:

• Episode One: 2.1M
  • Episode Two: 1.6M
  • Episode Three: 1.58M

Critics:

• Metacritic has a score of 65 (7 reviews)
  • IMDB viewers give it 9.3 (400+ votes)
  • Rotten Tomatoes is 71% (7 votes)

A review in Salon questioned the extent of its appeal: "It is hard to fathom anyone other than the most hard-core obsessives sticking around to watch all eight installments of this limited series." Ha! Call me an obsessive, then. :)

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 17

I think people are likely to binge this over the holiday. A friend posted about it today on facebook and several said they had it recorded but hadn't watched. Others said they will find it On Demand. 

I would watch more than 8 episodes easily.

Edited by Court
  • Love 12

I don't know the chronology of media attention.  Going Clear was the first splash  of any magnitude, as far as I know.  Any books before this one?  It certainly opened the door for more. 

I was aware COS was creepy back in the late 60s.  A friend brought a couple enthusiastic students of COS with him to our apartment.  Everyone was in their early 20s.  I kept my distance and warned a roommate who was fascinated with what they were saying.  So something was in the air.  They had a huge church in Boston at the time. 

I have hope that Leah is the next step in widening awareness.  Through her effort more books are now known.  Hearing personal accounts is powerful especially for viewers who do not read books much, if at all.  Yeah, they are out there.  

• Love 3

I didn't know anything about this show, and I didn't know much about this religion--other than knowing some of the wacky-acting celebrities who are in it. But I happened to catch one episode when nothing else was on, and I was hooked! I watched all of the available episodes within this week. This is scary and fascinating all at once. I remember being about 10 and seeing those Dianetics book commercials, and it sounded pretty cool to me--opening your mind to solve your own problems or something. I guess it's a good thing I wasn't old enough to buy the book for myself. Although I didn't even know until watching this series that that book was Scientology or even that it was a religion--just thought it was a self-help book.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

I didn't know anything about this show, and I didn't know much about this religion--other than knowing some of the wacky-acting celebrities who are in it. But I happened to catch one episode when nothing else was on, and I was hooked! I watched all of the available episodes within this week. This is scary and fascinating all at once. I remember being about 10 and seeing those Dianetics book commercials, and it sounded pretty cool to me--opening your mind to solve your own problems or something. I guess it's a good thing I wasn't old enough to buy the book for myself. Although I didn't even know until watching this series that that book was Scientology or even that it was a religion--just thought it was a self-help book.

That's the value of this series, jene4...it's shining a light on something most people aren't aware of going about their daily lives.

Glad to see you here !!!

• Love 3

I was talking to my mom the other day, who is 80, and she's hooked on this series also! She told me that she bought Dianetics (probably when that commerical came out), not because of the message they were trying to portray, but because she knew a little about how nuts $ceintology was. She said she probably read about 1/4 of the book and couldn't continue because it was boring.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cranky One said:

I was talking to my mom the other day, who is 80, and she's hooked on this series also! She told me that she bought Dianetics (probably when that commerical came out), not because of the message they were trying to portray, but because she knew a little about how nuts $ceintology was. She said she probably read about 1/4 of the book and couldn't continue because it was boring.

Your Mom sounds like a smart lady! Did they send your Mom unwanted mailings for years, like I've seen other posters here mention? Like @JenE4 said, I too remember those Dianetics commercials from the 80s and remember thinking it sounded interesting about unleashing your power. It was really compelling at the time and I think appealed to the narcissistic tendencies in people. Also, it didn't really give a lot of information about what the 'religion' stood for so it was like a teaser that left you wanting to know more...pretty damn brilliant and effective, unfortunately. This was long before the internet was in common usage so I too am so glad I was too young to order the books! I remember my Dad saying something about the guy who wrote the book was a crazy science fiction writer who started a cult or some such thing, so it seems he was pretty smart too. At the time, I thought he was exaggerating (I was used to his political and religious rants) and I'm sure rolled my eyes!

• Love 4
On 12/21/2016 at 8:30 PM, lordonia said:

Several anti-Scientology sites have been enthusiastic about the show possibly spelling the end of Scientology. While I'm sure A&E is very pleased, the overall numbers aren't that high.

Weekly ratings:

• Episode One: 2.1M
  • Episode Two: 1.6M
  • Episode Three: 1.58M

Critics:

• Metacritic has a score of 65 (7 reviews)
  • IMDB viewers give it 9.3 (400+ votes)
  • Rotten Tomatoes is 71% (7 votes)

A review in Salon questioned the extent of its appeal: "It is hard to fathom anyone other than the most hard-core obsessives sticking around to watch all eight installments of this limited series." Ha! Call me an obsessive, then. :)

lordonia - really appreciate your posting the ratings stats.  Could you by chance get them for the rest of the episodes?  THANKS! 

2 hours ago, Cranky One said:

My local ABC channel and Direct TV are feuding, so they pulled the channel. I'll have to remember to watch it online.

Really, you too?  My local CBS is pulling this shit.  Dickwads.

• Love 2
(edited)

This was noted today on Tony Ortega's site:

Next week’s episode featuring Lois Reisdorf and her son Brandon ... is the seventh of the original lineup and the eighth overall. A&E has chosen to refer to it as the season finale.

But we’re told that another special episode featuring questions from Reddit will air on January 17. And the original eighth episode of the series, focused on Leah Remini herself, will air the last week of January.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 13

What time is 20/20 on.  They removed the scrolling on screen TV schedule they used to have on my cable provider and this provider's website is a total mess.  I never know when anything is on anymore.

1 minute ago, green said:

What time is 20/20 on.  They removed the scrolling on screen TV schedule they used to have on my cable provider and this provider's website is a total mess.  I never know when anything is on anymore.

TV Guide shows - not sure if this is for all timezones/localities.:

FRI JAN 6 10:01PM

Scientology: A War Without GunsNEW(Season 40, Episode 20)ABC

Actress Leah Remini sits down with Dan Harris to discuss her fight against the Church of Scientology during a report that includes other former members who are crusading against it, as well as those who still practice outside of the official Church. Also: (more…)

(Note: 10.01pm, not 10.00;pm!!!)

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, fastiller said:

TV Guide shows - not sure if this is for all timezones/localities.:

(Note: 10.01pm, not 10.00;pm!!!)

fastiller - I like Comcast's synopsis of the show way better:

"Scientology:  A War Without Guns"

"Ex-members of the Church of Scientology who crusade against it; actress Leah Remini discusses her fight against the Church of Scientology and her goal of making it lose its tax exempt status."

...And, for the hundredth time as I've done over the past couple months watching her docu-series, after reading this, I say out loud, "YES!  Leah - You go girl!!!"  Network TV once again, and combined w/her past couple months on A&E...I'm convinced this little lady's gonna shut these assholes down!  (Can I get an "AMEN!!??"  - hey - we're talking about closing the doors of a "church," right?)

• Love 17

Scientology really really made a mistake pissing off Leah.  They should've realized who she was at her core. She was never going to sit back and be quiet. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Stuffy said:

Scientology really really made a mistake pissing off Leah.  They should've realized who she was at her core she was never going to sit back and be quiet. 

Irony alert: she's like a dog with a bone because CO$ trained her with all that auditing to keep digging for the "truth" - now she's digging until she exposes the ugly heart of it. 

• Love 20
4 minutes ago, Ruprecht said:

Irony alert: she's like a dog with a bone because CO$ trained her with all that auditing to keep digging for the "truth" - now she's digging until she exposes the ugly heart of it. 

Absolutely, Ruprecht!  And how sweet it is!

• Love 4