Type keyword(s) to search

Past Season World Building: Acid Smog & Two-Faced Deer

Okay, people have looked but not contributed so I guess it's up to moi to at least try to jumpstart this thread.  First kudos to whoever added the "Acid Clouds and Two Headed Deer" to the title.

That said I', thinking of the world buliding in three basic categories:  The Ark, the Castaways and the Grounders which also includes the environment.  These aren't official categories of course, just my headcanon.

First up is,presumably the Grounders can talk but then you have a hunndred years of linguistic drift (yeah, I know, 97 years but I'm rounding).  Am hoping that when they talk it will be understandable as English but with significant accent and slang differences.  Oh, and if all of the primitive Grounders turn out to be PoC, I'll be deeply pissed.

First up is,presumably the Grounders can talk but then you have a hunndred years of linguistic drift (yeah, I know, 97 years but I'm rounding).  Am hoping that when they talk it will be understandable as English but with significant accent and slang differences.  Oh, and if all of the primitive Grounders turn out to be PoC, I'll be deeply pissed.

I'm most curious about these things.  When the first grounder we saw was PoC, I got really worried that they would make all grounders PoC.  I'd find that so offensive that I'd stop watching the show and also start some sort of CW protest.  I also really hope the Grounders have a noticeable difference in language.  Even if it's something lame like just a southern accent, that would work.  It annoys me that Octavia doesn't have any language or social weaknesses so it would be nice if there is some effort put into showing that two populations living apart for 100 years with no communication will experience linguistic differences.  

The show is getting off track again by focusing on plot point violent acts for shock value and pushing some of their favorite actors. Every time the world building starts to get interesting they focus more on gun happy Jasper, or Murphy taking hostages, Finn's declarations of Lust or Dr. Clarke Medicine Woman(thanks System Remote) being the healer and all the random hookups.  I want a clearer picture of the different Grounder tribes and their culture and survival techniques. I wanted a clearer view of society on The Ark but they gave up on that.

What's the deal with the Mount Weather clothing being so disclosed? Are the colors fading or is there mold or dust or something on them? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. The clothing is supposed to be clean and it is implie that they wash and dry the clothing there but it looks so dirty or faded/dis colored, some more than others. It drives me crazy!

"Discolored," I think is meant. It's especially apparent with Dante Wallace, the older leader. His suit jacket looks like he rubbed against a dusty cement wall. I guess nothing new has been made for almost 100 years, so clothes would be in pretty bad shape.

Edited by Too Late Kev

Just from the trailer alone I think this season is going to be amazing when it comes to world building! I know it's not the popular opinion, but I'm very excited about all the answers we'll be getting about the Grounders and their 12 clans.

Why isn't it a popular opinion? The show's mythology really took off in season 2. Yeah, they still have a lot of consistency problems and especially with scientific stuff, but I don't really care about that. I grew up playing Fallout, so it's not like I expect hard sci-fi here. I simply love the post-apocalyptic stuff that has all the tropes (and not something like Jericho which I barely stomached watching).

One thing I really really want is for them to explain why the hell did the Grounders turn tribal so soon. Maybe there was an outside reason, I hope ALIE will elaborate.

Edited by FurryFury

I don't know. I just feel like wherever I go to discuss this show everyone's annoyed that this season is "the Grounder season". I'm just like...yeah, I hope so, because I have so many questions that need to be answered lol. I think most people are just worried that the show isn't going to be focused on the Arkers, I guess. But I just don't see how exploring the world of the Grounders means we'll get less of our MC's. Unless there's some awful writing, but I trust these writers, they've done nothing but get better as the show goes on.

Omg, Jericho. I tried, and I just couldn't.

YES! That's something that's always bothered me. I just try not to think about it because I'm afraid it's one of those questions that will never be answered.

You're talking to the wrong people ;) My fellow The 100 watchers love the Grounders stuff and are hoping there'll be a lot of them this season so we can geek out over all the world building.

• Love 2

I just started watching The 100 because Netflix kept recommending it.  Is there a meet & greet topic in this forum? I’m trying to avoid spoilers as I catch up.

Right now, I am finishing up season 3. Oof. This season was an assignment not really entertainment. With all the character deaths, I had to do careful digging to find out what happened behind the scenes. Also, is it a Sci Fi rule that hallucinated women have to wear red? With a couple episodes left, I really hope this Allie storyline wraps up soon. 

• Love 1