Type keyword(s) to search

John Boy: Mr Wonderful or Mr Obnoxious

I go back and forth on this. Sometimes I really like JohnBoy and others find him obnoxious. Part of it is how everyone else in the family puts him on a pedestal. Like when MaryEllen was trying unsuccessfully to teach the deaf girl sign language and Grandma says "Has JohnBoy tried?" And it's always all about JohnBoy's education. "This money is for JohnBoy's college fund." "This money will buy a lot of books for JohnBoy." What about the other kids education? No, everything had to be a sacrifice for JohnBoy or all about JohnBoy. The other kids are walking to school barefoot (something I always hated) but they're saving money for JohnBoy.

• Love 1

I agree that John-Boy was a pain sometimes but I can't ignore the fact that once he left, the show's quality took a big dive and its days were numbered. The sibling characters hadn't been developed adequately and the actors playing them weren't strong enough to sustain a TV show. Bringing John-Boy back played by a different actor is one of the most bizarre things a TV show has ever done.

• Love 2

Good point. Jason and his music, Mary Ellen's nursing and baby, Erin's boyfriend trouble-blah. Maybe it was that John Boy's story was pretty consistent, college, journalism. They were all over with the others. One day Mary Ellen's a nurse, the next married, the next widowed. I have to give Richard Thomas credit too. I think his portrayal of John Boy is what kept him from being completely insufferable (most of the time).

To quote the Baldwin sisters, "Good things abound, when he (John Boy)is around."

Jason's storyline was mostly consistent.  What I did not care for was the fact the family helped John Boy out with his education and for his newspaper, but he left and did not finish college.  Jason worked hard to get through music school, and the family hardly or did not help him out at all.

Mary Ellen, in my opinion, was helped out too much when Curt went into the Army, and he died, but at least she did help the people in the area with her nursing and later on, becoming a doctor.  She was obnoxious after Olivia left the first time and expected the family to take care of John Curtis while she went off to college to become a doctor.

John Boy could be an ass when people did not think the sun did not rise in the morning until he got up.  The way he went after the Baldwin's cousin was inexcusable.

Jason's storyline was mostly consistent. What I did not care for was the fact the family helped John Boy out with his education and for his newspaper, but he left and did not finish college. Jason worked hard to get through music school, and the family hardly or did not help him out at all.

True. All Livvie did was bitch about his jobs at/with The Dewdrop, Haystack Gang, and burlesque show making her prayers longer each night. Why couldn't she haul her butt out with some Bubble Beautifier to help him like she did JohnBoy.

• Love 1

Though John Boy can bug, I really miss him in the episodes where they put Jason into the role that would have been John Boy's before he left the show. Helping Verdie find her roots, the recluse lady, etc. Jason is just lame.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think John-Boy could be both wonderful and obnoxious, sometimes in the same episode. The real problem was how everyone else reacted to him. He was the central character on the show, yes, but that doesn't mean he should be the most important person ever to the other characters. I mean, it's one thing for the show to be all, here is John-Boy and his gaggle of siblings, it's quite another for John and Olivia to have that attitude.

Maybe it's weird; I loved John-Boy, but some of my favorite moments involve him being humbled in some way. Like that episode with the vanity press. That episode also made me love Jason. If I were him, I'd be way more resentful of John-Boy than he ever was.

Edited by Melgaypet

John Boy was a major ass for bugging grandma about her father? in the television movie when he got married. My own grandmother had a rough childhood, and she would not talk about it. I would have been in major trouble if I would bug her to tell me the truth.

I think John-Boy could be both wonderful and obnoxious, sometimes in the same episode. The real problem was how everyone else reacted to him. He was the central character on the show, yes, but that doesn't mean he should be the most important person ever to the other characters. I mean, it's one thing for the show to be all, here is John-Boy and his gaggle of siblings, it's quite another for John and Olivia to have that attitude.

Maybe it's weird; I loved John-Boy, but some of my favorite moments involve him being humbled in some way. Like that episode with the vanity press. That episode also made me love Jason. If I were him, I'd be way more resentful of John-Boy than he ever was.

I agree with you there, but Livvie was just as bad (and dumb) as John Boy. Signing the contract with that self satisfied smerky smile on her face without even reading it. And him, Mr. Big College Man, "Oh ma lawd! Is this fer real?"

"Does it say anithin about your pichar on the cover?" No wonder John Boy could be an ass. At least Grandma wanted to smack him.

The worst was after a getting ANOTHER rejection letter, the family was being all supportive, which is okay. But after JB says they're all talking like he's the next William Shakespeare, Livvie pipes up with, "Maybe you ARE." Yeah, okay.

• Love 1

John Boy could be an ass when people did not think the sun did not rise in the morning until he got up.  The way he went after the Baldwin's cousin was inexcusable.

Was that the one who had fled Germany and he got indignant when she wouldn't tell him about Hitler?

I want to know why no one noticed John Boyd Waldon joining the family...

Yes, John Boy tortures a victim of Hitler was the one.  

Regarding John Boyd, by that point in the series, everyone was phoning it in.  But in that episode, the guy who plays Ben actually tried to look interested in his brother returning from the dead.  But he overshot and looked orgasmically delighted.  So much so, that one of us speculated that Ben was madly in love with John Boyd and engaging in a special relationship.  The rest of the family decided to accept him as John Boy so as not to embarrass Cindy.

• Love 2

When the siblings were young kids it wasn't so bad, but once they got older and had to pick up the slack from the departures of Richard Thomas, Will Geer and Ellen Corby, it became obvious that they didn't have the acting chops or charisma to carry a show.

• Love 2

Yes, John Boy tortures a victim of Hitler was the one.  

Regarding John Boyd, by that point in the series, everyone was phoning it in.  But in that episode, the guy who plays Ben actually tried to look interested in his brother returning from the dead.  But he overshot and looked orgasmically delighted.  So much so, that one of us speculated that Ben was madly in love with John Boyd and engaging in a special relationship.  The rest of the family decided to accept him as John Boy so as not to embarrass Cindy.

That was me!!! I noticed the way Ben's eyes lit up when he saw John Boyd. Creep me out!!!

That scene was just on INSP! The way Ben and John Boyd clasp and hold hands. "I miss you John Boyd."

In the movies category there's a discussion about when John Boy was born. I wonder how old John Boyd was.

When the siblings were young kids it wasn't so bad, but once they got older and had to pick up the slack from the departures of Richard Thomas, Will Geer and Ellen Corby, it became obvious that they didn't have the acting chops or charisma to carry a show.

Aunt Rose and her brats didn't help matters.

(edited)

It bugs the s**t out of me how John Boy just waltzes into Hastings House to make sure his manuscript wasn't lost (Could he NEVER spring for registered mail?) and instead of waiting his turn, gets his manuscript read that same weekend because he and his story are just so damn special and captivating. Like there weren't how many other thousands of struggling writers out there, with interesting stories, trying to make it.

Then he's trying to see NYC with hardly any money. Would registered mail not have been cheaper than going to NY in person?

I theorize that in secret, he actually planned the whole trip in order to muscle his way into getting his manuscript to the top of the pile.

Edited by DoughGirl
  • Love 2

Mr. Obnoxious John Boy rant:

In "The Literary Man" JB was so selfish, sitting there blabbing about his writing to AJ (was he really that dumb as to forget he was supposed to be working?) instead of cutting the logs John needed. So the family loses the contract and AJ sells his prize watch and is guilted into giving the Waltons the money because JB monopolized his attention with his stories.

• Love 1

And then AJ went away and returned as a much shorter, fast-talking Brooklynite with a great career as a screenwriter, which John-Boy screwed him out of as well.

• Love 1

Now that you mention it, it would have been nice of the Waltons to offer to pay that money back to AJ when he came back to the mountain. I don't even remember a thank you or "Hey, remember how AJ gave us that money?".

And AJ got screwed over by Ike too. That watch was worth more than what Ike paid him for it.

(edited)

Mr. Obnoxious or Mr. Wonderful:

In "The Graduation" John Boy sacrifices his new set of college duds so Daddy can buy a new cow.

In "The Five Foot Shelf" he eggs on Mamma to sign an almost lifetime contract to buy him all those books to "help him with his college work", causing Daddy to have conniptions over how they're going to afford that extra money every month.

Edited by DoughGirl

Mr. Obnoxious: In "The Thanksgiving Story" JB tells Jenny HE'S got to have the college scholarship because otherwise his journal will never become a novel or anything like that.

Tell that to all the others that need the scholarship and Charles Dickens and countless other authors that I'm sure didn't receive college scholarships or even much formal education and all went on to write novels.

Ok, I'm done with my JB comments for today. :-)

I think the most hilarious moment was when the director asked for JB input on the script, asked him to write it more believably in one night, and totally disregarded AJ, which of course would never have happened in real life.

That entire episode would never have happened in real life. You would think people who write for TV shows would have some idea how movies are made. The New York film company would have shot the film in NYC, not haul the crew, cameras, lights (BTW what are they planning on plugging the lights into?), etc into the middle of nowhere in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Also John is hired to provide lumber for the sets; what sets? And where are they building them, inside the old house? Bollocks.

This show really came up with some rediculous plot lines to get new people on the mountain. AJ and film crew, Alvira Drummond motoring through in her Rolls Royce, etc.

Back on topic, John Boy gets taken in by the vanity press epi is on tonight!

I think Grandma might have been a better choice.  And I was uncomfortable with Miss Hunter and Rev. Fordwick telling everyone that they couldn't wait until school was out to get it on.  And why not come back Saturday night?  

And I was uncomfortable with Miss Hunter and Rev. Fordwick telling everyone that they couldn't wait until school was out to get it on.

Nothing was sacred on this show if it enabled the high and mighty John Boy to shine at something.

And hypocrite that he is, "You an Miss Hunter gettin' married?! That's wonderful!" After he pissed and moaned about her neglecting his dumb essay when she and Rev. Fordwick started courting. "I think it's a shame, cause she really used to appreciate my writin'."

• Love 1

Yeah, and you just know that Daddy or Grandpa was thinking of how to explain that JB's writing paled in comparison to actual sex.

Maybe Livvie could have told him good Baptists would rather read his writing than have sex.

• Love 1

I watched "The Shivaree" the other day and my jaw dropped watching how he treated the distressed bride whose husband had been abducted and left in the middle of the woods blindfolded and handcuffed, as they drove around searching for him. Not only did he belittle her feelings, he also told her about all the horrible things that went wrong in the past! Yeah, stories abouf the guy who got mauled by a bear and the guy who fell into a pond and almost drowned is going to make her feel better.

• Love 1

And then there was that time when he got the shed instead of Mary Ellen.....Why did he need the shed when even Mary Ellen said he already had his own room? That kinda pissed me off, cuz he went off again about how he always gets the short end of the stick or some other bullshit he kept spouting....

And the time he made "the children" do his stupid chores because he said "I got a lotta reading to do"....and they went for it...

I watched "The Shivaree" the other day and my jaw dropped watching how he treated the distressed bride whose husband had been abducted and left in the middle of the woods blindfolded and handcuffed, as they drove around searching for him. Not only did he belittle her feelings, he also told her about all the horrible things that went wrong in the past! Yeah, stories abouf the guy who got mauled by a bear and the guy who fell into a pond and almost drowned is going to make her feel better.

Yes, he really was obnoxious in that episode. Sniggering with Ike and not explaining why to Bob. I side with Bob because I would NOT have found being shivareed funny either.

WAs that the time he bitched at them about a horse race?

That was the one where he was going to ride Blue in the horse race against some rich kid with a thoroughbred horse. They both liked the same girl which fueled the competition. The kids are busting their butts grooming Blue and John Boy screams at them that they're not doing enough and that "His hooves have to be shiny!"

And of course John Boy wins the race and gets the girl.

And we never see that girl again.  

He had so many "great loves" he only saw once that it makes you doubt John Boy's sexual prowess.  Or maybe when the screen went dark, John Boy actually read them selections of his writin' and that was it.  

• Love 2

You mean like the time he went to NYC to harangue the editor (I think) into reading his book that was tossed into a heap in the corner and he insisted on telling his life story to everyone he met on the way?