Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: A Leader Emerges

• Start Topic

On 12/21/2016 at 8:38 PM, Ina123 said:

It's not the length of Leah's nails that is gross. It's that they are filed to a point. My much more in tune great-niece tells me to blame the Kardashians. They are wearing them that was. So the trend.

Its an old trend and not because of the trashy family (refuse to use their name) either. I said it on another thread about it. I was surprised to see it on her because its an older trend. Yet it used to be if you had points on the nails it was a sign you were a drug user. That was a different time though and not a "fashion trend". LOL

On 12/21/2016 at 9:40 PM, spiderpig said:

A&E is or was owned by Disney who does or used to own ABC, who produces 20/20, which has aired features critical of The Cult.

Disney only owns a 50% share of A&E. The other half is owned by Hearst. I will bet they just have a stake in it and let whoever from this other company run it or something like that. Sort of like how Tokyo Disneyland is owned and run by Oriental Land Company and how Disney just have so much of a share in the one in Paris. Being that Disney is half owners though and has more power than the crazies would, all they could do is write their loony letters. Which the show is being pretty responsible with how they are handling it all by having Leah read the letters on the people coming and putting up what that the nuts say nothing is true. They do this with Escaping Polygamy as well by putting up that they asked the Kingstons to comment and they deny what went on with the show. Also with how Disney's legal teams can be I would be that its one of those things that they make sure their butts are covered in every way they can. If they try to harass anyone taking part of the show I am sure that will end up coming out over time and as the letters already show, it will just give more proof to the world how insane they are. 

• Love 2
On 12/21/2016 at 11:38 PM, Ina123 said:

It's not the length of Leah's nails that is gross. It's that they are filed to a point. My much more in tune great-niece tells me to blame the Kardashians. They are wearing them that was. So the trend.

&

On 12/23/2016 at 2:20 PM, Evil Queen said:

Its an old trend and not because of the trashy family (refuse to use their name) either. I said it on another thread about it. I was surprised to see it on her because its an older trend. Yet it used to be if you had points on the nails it was a sign you were a drug user. That was a different time though and not a "fashion trend". LOL

It's a 'returned' trend I think is a good way to put it.  For a long time longer nails were rounded, before that they'd be squared off.  This filed-to-a-point trend is icky and it must stop.  

(Also - one of my old acquaintances from the 80s had a 'coke' nail that wasn't filed to a point, it was squared off - she didn't want to give up the surface area that could be filled with blow.)

Edited by fastiller
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

We used to go to a chiropractor who was a Scientologist. When we left the practice, the chiropractor called our house and came unglued over the phone. When Leah Remini and Mike Rinder were in Seattle talking with another former member, some of the phrases she was using reminded me of our ex-chiropractor and things that were said to us during appointments. I don't think she even realizes she is still quoting those things she was taught.

I'd be curious to hear what phrases were deja vu for you. Members seem to be so thoroughly indoctrinated that I bet they'll never truly get all of that stuff out of their heads, especially the people brought in as children. So sad.

I think Leah Remini and Mike Rinder are creating something that will endure much longer than the run of this show. I don't think she's a saint, but I do believe that she and Rinder struggle with guilt due to any role they had in influencing others to join the church. She's brave. Hopefully she saved enough to keep things going; I think she's the breadwinner for her family, but I am glad that she has decided she will expose this church no matter what it costs her, personally or professionally. 

If anyone here follows her on Twitter, there was an exchange last week that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. She was dealing with what I can imagine were CoS trolls and she wrote (paraphrased): "I haven't revealed everything I know yet." I think that is her protection against further "fair game" attacks from those in the church on herself and her family members.

First bolding: I agree completely. It might sound melodramatic but I also get the sense sometimes that we're watching history unfold - the beginning of CO$'s downfall in this little "reality" show. I so admire Leah's strength and determination to go down this road of defying the Church. Leah, if you ever read this, you're an amazing woman!

Second bolding: I shudder to think what kind of dark nasty secrets she's still holding onto. Yikes.

I read Leah's book over the summer, in about a day and half, and am now waiting for Jenna Miscavige Hill's book to come in at my library. After that I may give Going Clear (book) another try - I checked it out a year or two ago, but couldn't get past the LRH insanity at the beginning and never seriously gave it much of a chance. I don't think that will be the case next time!

• Love 4

So two observations. First, was I seeing things or was that Brandy in the front row clapping at a Scientology event/meeting/awards show? It was in the previews for next week and I only noticed her because she was in the front. Second, I think that the church relies on its regular parishioners to do things like save up to purchase materials and forgo luxuries (vacations, eating out, etc.) in order to purchase what they need over time. If you figure that its $250,000 to get to OTVIII and most of the people we're seeing have been in 20+ years that about 25,000k a year or a little over $2k per month. That's a lot of cash, but as Leah said most people don't make it and are in the lower levels (around Clear). Also, when folks join the Sea Org they give up everything they have to the church so I'm sure they've gotten houses, stocks, and inheritances over time as well

49 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I'd be curious to hear what phrases were deja vu for you. Members seem to be so thoroughly indoctrinated that I bet they'll never truly get all of that stuff out of their heads, especially the people brought in as children. So sad.

I will do my best to re-watch the episode and see if I can pick the phrases out again. Mostly, the overuse of the word "decent" really stood out to me. It seems to have a different meaning for CoS than the average person. I know it's weird, but when Leah Remini was in the CoS marketing guy's condo (I'm guessing) that looked over Seattle's Elliot Bay, a few of the things she said to him made me turn to my husband and say, "She sounds like Dr. _____ right now."

We weren't pelted with copies of Dianetics while we were seen by the chiropractor, but my last phone conversation with her was one of the scariest twenty minutes I've had. We left her practice on advice of an attorney after the attorney determined she was using non-approved treatments on us as a way of obtaining more visits (and more money) from our insurers after a car wreck. When we left the practice, the doctor called our house multiple times a day for almost a month demanding to talk to us. I finally called her back to tell her to stop. When I told her that we were uncomfortable with her office staff and the fact she was over-billing, she launched into a diatribe about "If you hate them, you hate me, too. I don't accept your hatred. You are wrong and you shouldn't listen to your attorney." This kind of stuff went on over and over until I finally hung up on her. It was like she was reciting from a script - the repeated insistence that we "hated" her (not true), the over the top insistence that we didn't know what was "good" for us, bla bla bla. 

I'm guessing Leah Remini and other former Scientologists will spend years purging those ideas and the scripts they were taught. One thing's for sure -- I admire her. It takes a lot to stand up and admit you were wrong. Even more, every person that leaves has to deal with having every secret they've ever had made public.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

Even more, every person that leaves has to deal with having every secret they've ever had made public.

If former Scientologists are to be believed, every "secret" they have also includes things they made up or falsely confessed to just to get the sec checks to stop. It's madness!

• Love 12
On 2016-12-21 at 6:56 PM, ButterQueen said:

I just wish her lips didn't look so weird.

I am finding that they seem to be improving since episode 1 so the Botox must be wearing off a little.  That is good as at first the non-moving upper lip was so distracting, now I can see a difference between those opening replayed shots and other shots that are probably newer.

• Love 1
On 12/21/2016 at 1:21 PM, juliet73 said:

I haven't finished watching this week's episode, but I need to be a bit shallow for a moment.  Leah look GORGEOUS in the navy dress she was wearing!! 

I thought she looked terrific at, was it, Hawkin's house, when she was wearing a black turtleneck with a leather jacket.  The turtleneck was very flattering and her hair, a little shorter and styled slightly differently from the scenes in which she's wearing a white blouse, was lovely.  

• Love 6

I have a question about Scientology and the transition between L. Ron Hubbard and David Miscavage and the level of awfulness/hell under Miscavage's rule. (I've seen Going Clear and i'm up to date with this episode of Leah's investigation. As well I've read a few books on cults here and there. )

So obviously a lot/most of the Scientology policies were put in place under Hubbard (Sea Org, Bridge, SPs  etc.) but generally most of the interviewees seem somewhat less negative about their early years with the CoS (I'm thinking of the woman in prev episode that made level VIII) when it was run by Hubbard and most of the issues are with CoS under Miscavage. Who is horrible. Specifically the last 10 years.

I believe it's a horrible for-profit cult, but was it less bad while Hubbard was running it? Was it just a smaller group of people? The recruitment wasn't as intense while he was leading?  Our times now with internet and the global economy just multiply the greed of the CoS?

Edited by Refresh
punctuation/grammar
  • Love 9

I don't think that L Ron was as violence-prone as David is.  I also don't think that the "hole" was used so much in the early days.

I think the whole organization is self-defeating; they are pruning away family members when they really should be ADDING some.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I don't think that L Ron was as violence-prone as David is.  I also don't think that the "hole" was used so much in the early days.

I think the whole organization is self-defeating; they are pruning away family members when they really should be ADDING some.

Instead of the hole, LRH believed in over boarding.  People would be flung over board from his rusty old ship. I've read that some of the victims were bound.  LRH had more control over his temper, but he was very cruel. Remember he kidnapped his daughter and told his wife he'd chopped the child up in little pieces. 

• Love 8

From what I've read, it was not less bad under Hubbard.  But Hubbard died in the 1980's, before the internet, and it was much more difficult to speak out after leaving, so we haven't heard as many of their stories.  Miscavage learned everything he knew from Hubbard, he's just following in Hubbard's footsteps. 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Instead of the hole, LRH believed in over boarding.  People would be flung over board from his rusty old ship. I've read that some of the victims were bound.  LRH had more control over his temper, but he was very cruel. Remember he kidnapped his daughter and told his wife he'd chopped the child up in little pieces. 

Except when he was pistol whipping his wife for smiling in her sleep (which apparently meant that she was dreaming of someone else...).

• Love 8
7 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

2 hours ago, Moose Andsquirrel said:

From what I've read, it was not less bad under Hubbard.  But Hubbard died in the 1980's, before the internet, and it was much more difficult to speak out after leaving, so we haven't heard as many of their stories.  Miscavage learned everything he knew from Hubbard, he's just following in Hubbard's footsteps. 

1 hour ago, fastiller said:

Except when he was pistol whipping his wife for smiling in her sleep (which apparently meant that she was dreaming of someone else...).

Oh My God!  Thank you all so much for correcting my stupid assumptions!  Yikes what a monster!

• Love 3

Yeah, LRH is a bit of a different kettle of fish. He wasn't the sociopath that Miscavige is, but he was deeply unwell and suffered from mental illness. From what I recall (and I'm sure others can set me straight here if I'm misremembering), he originally wrote Dianetics (or one of his similar texts) thinking it would be revolutionary to psychiatry, and when the psychiatry world laughed at him, he decided they were all evil, bullshit artists, etc, and his theories would be the foundation of a RELIGION instead (he is on record as saying that starting a religion is the surest way to make a fortune), and the religion would be utterly against the "junk science" of psychiatry. Over the years, as Scientology began to grow, his beliefs got weirder and weirder, as he was so delusional and unwell, (which is where Xenu came from, I'm sure) and he actually wrote letters to the American Psychiatric Association BEGGING them to treat him, because he was becoming so unstable. The SeaOrg exists because LRH was either wanted by the law in, or banned from entering, so many countries that the only place he was safe was in international waters. He was deeply paranoid, delusional, and abusive to his wife. He "overboarded" SeaOrg members and came up with degrading, painful, and pointless jobs for them to do... he's the one who put all the "crazy" in place, came up with The Bridge, milked members for money, sold e-meters, separated children from their parents, and started the policies of "fair game" and disconnection... Miscavige just took an already-existing system in a darker direction with "The Hole" and other means of controlling members through abuse and imprisonment.

I think LRH actually believed in what he was doing, and believed in the power of Scientology, but mostly because of his untreated mental illness, which also soured and sabotaged the whole affair. Or maybe he started Scientology as a money-making scheme, but then came to believe in himself as a kind of Messiah-figure, who can say? Auditing went from being a tool to help people, to being a tool to finding out who was secretly plotting against LRH. He was "clearing the planet," but his violent paranoia made him use every bit of control he had over others for self-serving, abusive purposes. And, of course, he used "church" funds for personal gain. Scientology was never really "good" because it was half-created to elevate humanity and give people superpowers, and half-created to give LRH ultimate control over everyone around him to appease his paranoid delusions.

Miscavige, I don't think he believes in any of it. He just wants the power and the control (and of course the money). He seems to have the paranoia/instability as well, but his machinations seem much more calculated to keep people feeding into a system he KNOWS will never reward them, and to grasp them so tightly they won't be able to leave (so much so that it is now defeating the purpose), than actually finding a way to some sort of health or enlightenment. His "Golden Era" presentations, for example, are just outright lies, whereas LRH would make outrageous claims that he seemed to believe (or at least was willing to try to prove - he once gave a presentation at some conference where he put forward a woman who was "Clear" to demonstrate her superpowers, which was a humiliating failure). Both men were dangerous/destructive, but in slightly different ways.  One slightly more violent, and one slightly less in touch with reality.

ETA: So, really, you're not wrong to wonder if Scientology could have been less harmful than it is under Miscavige. But no, the way he runs things is NOT a corruption of its original purpose. The Co$ was created from the very start to squeeze people for money and validate the ego of an unstable madman. And boy, does it ever do that well!

Edited by Slovenly Muse
Edited to clarify my point.
  • Love 21

Maybe this just reveals me as an extremely superficial person, but everytime they show picture or video of LRH I actually say outloud "people gave money to that creepy as fuck cracker?!?"  

Let's completely ignore his atrocious grammar and that Dianetics by itself makes no fucking sense . . . I dont know if it's just the teeth, but he looks like the stereotypical pedophile.    

• Love 15
6 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

ETA: So, really, you're not wrong to wonder if Scientology could have been less harmful than it is under Miscavige. But no, the way he runs things is NOT a corruption of its original purpose. The Co$ was created from the very start to squeeze people for money and validate the ego of an unstable madman. And boy, does it ever do that well!

OMG and holy crap. Thank you for all this information and the posters above you with theirs. Very interesting and scary.

I get that this show is focused mostly on the present and recent present, as it should be to push change - it's more gut wrenching to know this kind of thing is still happening now than in the pre-80s when it might come off as folklore even if it's not.

• Love 1
On 1/4/2017 at 7:47 PM, Tiger said:

Maybe this just reveals me as an extremely superficial person, but everytime they show picture or video of LRH I actually say outloud "people gave money to that creepy as fuck cracker?!?"  

Let's completely ignore his atrocious grammar and that Dianetics by itself makes no fucking sense . . . I dont know if it's just the teeth, but he looks like the stereotypical pedophile.    

I've been thinking the same thing. Every time he's onscreen I'm all icked out. Tonight I thought exactly what you said. He looks like a pedophile. The man looks wicked, and I can't believe he was able to attract people. I imagine under his human skin is some slimy reptilian thing squirming to get out. 

• Love 11
On 1/4/2017 at 5:27 PM, Slovenly Muse said:

The Co$ was created from the very start to squeeze people for money and validate the ego of an unstable madman. And boy, does it ever do that well!

This is very important to understand. Many people, including many of those on this show I think, believe that CO$ was not that bad until Miscavige took over and now it's a horrible place because he's a psychopath. This worries me because I feel like somewhere along the way someone might say the only thing needed it to oust DM. But it is really important to remember that it was a horrible thing way before Miscavige too. Remember, LRH was in charge when they destroyed Paulette Cooper's life. He was in charge when they infiltrated the government and stole classified information. He was in charge when people were dying from neglect. He was in charge when it was decided that becoming a religion was the way to go to make money. He was seriously mentally deranged but he wasn't some innocent guy whose ideas have been corrupted. The CO$ has been a dangerous cult from the get go. 

• Love 24
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:28 PM, mbaywife123 said:

Thank You A&E for having the balls to air all of this and for being  legally smart to show the CO$ links  and having Leah read their responses about the people appearing so that they can't claim you as being one sided bigots against the "church".

Mr. Funky started this with me, but gave up when the talk of abuse started. He still has a hard time hearing about abuse of anyone.  But he did say "Well, kudos for them doing a good job at CYA".

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:37 PM, Brattinella said:

I am very glad that A&E are showing this.  This kind of abuse and deception needs to be exposed. 

On a shallow note, I looked up David Miscavige height.  5'1.

He's as tall as me, so he's hella short.  I don't know if men shrink like women do as they age, but my mom, who was at her tallest 5 foot and one half inch, is now around 4 foot 10 inch.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 3:27 AM, Jade Foxx said:

So the leader of this insane cult turns out to be a diminutive sociopath who couldn't even make it through high school. The mind reels. 

IIRC, both Cruise and Travolta had learning disabilities, and difficulty in school.  I was diagnosed with dyslexia and dyscalculia about a year before college, and when I got there, I had to take a special class to qualify for special consideration on tests (extra time, quiet room, calculator needed, certain notes allowed, etc).  Part of that class was a "lesson" on famous people who overcame similar issues, and I recall Tom Cruise for sure on the list, as well as Albert Einstein, Bruce Jenner (this was 1991 - pre Caitlyn), and a number of other people who escape me this moment.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 3:39 AM, spiderpig said:

Typical of the Mini-Fuhrer to mock Cruise behind his back so he could feel his lifts were taller than Tommy's.

Classic sociopath move.  You tailor your opinions to whom you are with at the time.  People at today's meeting hate Cruise?  Well, make fun of him!  People at tomorrow's meeting like Cruise?  Sing his praises!  Divide and conquer!

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:29 PM, Maizie131 said:

Okay, Juliet, since you started it -- I agree she looked gorgeous, however, she's gotta cut those nails!  What's up with that?

Well Sue, her nail lady, blackballed her from all of the nail salons in the area - including the dog groomer.  ;)

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:30 PM, Neurochick said:

I totally agree with this.  It makes me remember the People's Temple at Jonestown and what happened there in 1978, over 900 people committed mass suicide/or were murdered.  That happened in Guyana, a foreign country.  And I remember after it happened, the questions people asked, one of them was how did all of these people just up and leave the country?  Did they need passports or Visas?  In 1983, I went to Senegal and I needed a passport and a Visa to get into Gambia, so how did Jim Jones get all these people passports and Visas?  Maybe the government in Guyana didn't mind since they were US citizens living there, but what's always boggled my mind is that the US government didn't seem to give a shit either, maybe it was because most of the people who went to Guyana were black and poor, I don't know.

I think that when an organization has money, there's nothing they can't do.  I think that as long as this group has money, they can do whatever.  

I would not be a bit surprised if Miscavige were to disappear mysteriously, as I'm sure that some people within the church might see HIM as a liability, i.e. Scientology wouldn't be under all this scrutiny if it weren't for him.

The People's Temple didn't have a lot of money - they preyed on the poor.  But they had a charismatic leader who told them exactly what they wanted and needed to hear.  I've read about Jim Jones at length over the years, and I don't recall about the visas or passports, but I remember one of the reasons he chose Guyana for it's loose governmental oversight, and how far away it was from pretty much everything.  And he touted that as a good thing because he convinced his people that the US Government was out to get them.  That's how he was easily able to sway people to murder Congressman Ryan, and the man from NBC - his name escapes me.  I wouldn't be shocked to some day see an image of a dead Miscavige slumped on his throne below a sign that says "Those Who Do Not Remember The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It" as well.  He and Jones have so much in common.  Jones never drank the Kool-Aid, though.  Put a bullet in his head.  Coward.

Jones was born to a woman who was convinced she gave birth to the new Messiah.  Jim was obsessed with religion as a child, and death.  He would hold funerals for small animals and bury them in the yard.  When he ran out of dead animals to have funerals for, he started killing them so he could continue.  There are similarities between JJ and DM.  Scary stuff.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:49 PM, fastiller said:

(Also - one of my old acquaintances from the 80s had a 'coke' nail that wasn't filed to a point, it was squared off - she didn't want to give up the surface area that could be filled with blow.)

My mom told the story that when she was in high school in the mid 60's, she had a male teacher who had both of his pinky nails kind of long, and oddly shaped.  They asked him why one day, and he demonstrated by using them to dig out ear wax, and said it was cheaper than going to the doctor to have him remove it when it became impacted.  So when I had a friend in the early 90's that had a long pinky nail that was oddly shaped and always painted black, I assumed it was for the same thing.  I never knew the coke spoon thing, but I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so I was a tad naive on some stuff.  I went to school with a few coke heads, and we knew who they were because they always had sunglasses, not long pinky nails.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

IIRC, both Cruise and Travolta had learning disabilities, and difficulty in school.  I was diagnosed with dyslexia and dyscalculia about a year before college, and when I got there, I had to take a special class to qualify for special consideration on tests (extra time, quiet room, calculator needed, certain notes allowed, etc).  Part of that class was a "lesson" on famous people who overcame similar issues, and I recall Tom Cruise for sure on the list, as well as Albert Einstein, Bruce Jenner (this was 1991 - pre Caitlyn), and a number of other people who escape me this moment.

25+ years ago,  I was what was then called a resource teacher or LD specialist in a private elementary school. I worked individually with kids with learning issues. We had a game, I think it was called "Never Say Never", that involved reading short biographies of famous people who overcame obstacles. There were many cards about famous people with learning difficulties. For some reason, the only other person I can remember now is Greg Louganis.

So, one day I was playing the game with a 5th or 6th grade girl. She drew the Tom Cruise card. (This was around when he first joined Scientology but there was nothing about it on the card.) She immediately said, dismissively, that he "only became an actor" so his learning issues didn't matter. I said, "You're right. As an actor, he certainly never had to read anything like pages and pages of scripts, and he certainly never had to memorize anything like hundreds of lines." I brought up a couple other points I don't remember now. She laughed and read the card and found it very interesting. From that day on, whenever I saw her in her classroom looking frustrated, I would walk past her and whisper "Tom Cruise" to remind her that she was not alone and that, if Tom could overcome his obstacles, she could too. It always made her smile. A few years later, Tom claimed Scientology cured his learning disabilities.  

Edited by EVS
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, EVS said:

A few years later, Tom claimed Scientology cured his learning disabilities.  

Well it kind of did. Since Scientology he doesn't have to read and understand anymore. He just yells 'word' and someone does it for him. 

All kidding aside, I'm sad for your student. I hope she understands that Tom is full of crap now but he did overcome learning challenges as have many others and she can too.

• Love 7
On 1/6/2017 at 2:00 AM, zoltana said:

This is an old article but still has some interesting links.  I wonder though whether the ruling went through.

http://abcnews.com.co/united-states-revokes-scientologys-tax-exempt-status/

That article isn't real and is from a spoof website made to look like ABC. Notice the actual domain is .co, not .com ; it's quite realistic clickbait, but it isn't true. (I'd stay away from that site, just to be safe. I got a browser hijack attempt when I checked it out. )

http://www.snopes.com/church-scientology-tax-exempt/

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 4
On 12/23/2016 at 2:20 PM, Evil Queen said:
On 12/21/2016 at 11:38 PM, Ina123 said:

article-0-1541B78F000005DC-364_634x332.j

• Love 1

Like all fashion, everything comes around again.  Yes pointy nails were popular in the mid-late 70's but it fell out of favor to square nails, which has been the trend for at least 20 years.  Then a more hybrid look became fashionable, a mash up between squared sides with rounded points.  Unfortunately, completely pointed, like Leah's is the style now.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dcubed said:

Like all fashion, everything comes around again.  Yes pointy nails were popular in the mid-late 70's but it fell out of favor to square nails, which has been the trend for at least 20 years.  Then a more hybrid look became fashionable, a mash up between squared sides with rounded points.  Unfortunately, completely pointed, like Leah's is the style now.  

I thought they were coffin nails but then stiletto nails but they look to heavy. What are LR's called?