Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E01: Season 21 Premiere

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I don't like receiving flowers as gifts because I don't like seeing them die and it seems like a waste... but I love flowers growing in the ground. I wonder if Vanessa meant that the way I would mean it.

It seems more than obvious to me that Nick kept Liz because the producers wanted her there for at least another week of drama/ratings. Her sexual "secret" guarantees that more humiliation, shame and bitterness will have us tuning in to see her brought down for her wrong-reasoned ways.

• Love 1
Just now, chocolatine said:

I wonder if it's a smell thing for her. I don't like most cut flowers because they start smelling like death to me soon after they're cut. Must be some kind of olfactory disorder.

Maybe. Lots of flowers have no scent, though. They're just pretty. I could see it if she was allergic, but she didn't say so.

There were quite a few women of various ethnicities this time, which was great to see. The Alaska woman was particularly pretty; I'm bummed she didn't make the cut.

Anyone else think that the psychologist/counselor telling Nick that her friend said he was a "piece of ****" was particularly tone deaf (otherwise known as mean)? And it sounded like it was really only one friend.

• Love 8

I love Nick and I'm so psyched that he's the Bachelor. I'm like James Gunn and Kathy Griffin - I've always liked him. I think he's clever and genuine and sexy. So far only Rachel and Vanessa (although who the hell hates flowers??) seemed to really suit him, but we'll see. Excited for the season!

Edited by violetr
  • Love 3

I want to know whose idea the entrances are--contestants or producers?  I mean, a camel?  I'm sure there had to be a lot of clearances for that!  And I remember in the past some douche came in on a helicopter.  

It was funny when that Alaskan girl tossed her fur coat at Nick like she was Miranda Priestly.

And then Nick doesn't remember sleeping with Liz, like he's Joey Tribbiani.

Yes, people on social media are already addressing Corrine as Tiffany Trump, lol.  Her lips looked fake to me!  Adult nanny, I missed that intro, that's so funny.  Jack had one on Will and Grace once, played by Demi Moore.

I agree, the back of the glittery dress of the woman who was eliminated was just stunning.  One of the few in a non-red dress and it was a great one.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I'm sure they were hoping for more pettiness and cattiness from the women about it but for the most part, aside from some mild irritation (Rachel seemed the most irritated), everyone got over it.

I think Jasmine B. had the most issues dealing with the nature of the show, she was pacing around talking to herself, and really going nuts, poor girl.

And then Kristina, the one who kept having these deadly serious confessionals in the rose ceremony towards the end.

I guess instead of cattiness this episode, it was more like (I think) the women kind of just going nuts hoping Nick would like them.  There was also that blonde who was crying "prematurely" right before she got the rose.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I thought the one girl who left who was wearing a gold glitter dress was very pretty and seemed nice. Its' kind of unfair. I always think the bachelor sends home the few girls he doesn't get to talk to. It makes sense that he would keep people he had a good conversation with, but he could be sending home some great girls who just aren't super pushy about getting time. 

I agree. I wish they would give the leads a little time with each contestant. Give them a specified time limit tape it all and then start the cocktail party where it would be each for his own. The time they use now showing some of the women's intro packages could be used to show selected clips of the initial one on ones. Chris could say  something to the effect, " Although Nick, (or insert leads name here) has had some time to talk to each contestant lets begin the cocktail party as he interacts more with these beautiful ladies". Or something to that effect. Although we don't always see it even pageant contestants get interviews and time with the judges in the days leading up to a competition. I don't know it's just a thought but I do think it needs to be tweaked a little bit.

• Love 5

I thought Corinne looked like Whitney from The Hills.

One of the ladies said she liked Nick bc he was self-aware.  I agree, but I think he is EXTREMELY self-aware, to the point that nothing he says or does seems natural. Like every move is pre-planned. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, TomGirl said:

Corrine looks like Tiffany Trump, which is not a compliment.  Vanessa reminds me of a young Andie McDowell.  There's a Courtney Robertson look-alike and a Shantel-the-mortician look-alike and even a Kaitlin Bristow look-alike.

YES!! I am glad you said that, you hit the nail on the head.

I liked the first episode, but then I am a sucker for this show. Snark or romance....I love it all!

• Love 2

I love this show but I honestly wonder about the psyche of some of these women who come on here and completely embarrass themselves. They don't seen to have any regard for the image they are putting out and I feel horribly for their family especially. Liz and Corinne - I'm talking to you.

There were a few obvious women who are nice, normal with good careers who will make it to the end. Danielle the nurse is my pick so far. Seems very sweet. 

It's amazing what a little styling can do. Looking back at the video they were showing Nick wasn't even cute with his weird hair etc. But he got abs and a beard and somehow he was hot. Not sure exactly when that happened. 

Shark chick isn't the first in a costume but it bugged that she didn't just say, "yeah it was supposed to be a dolphin. Oops."

I wasn't impressed with any of the dresses really and all the sex talk on the first episode was a bit over the top. I hope that tames down but I doubt it. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, JudyObscure said:

I give big props to whoever is responsible for turning these ordinary guys into The Bachelor.  Nick looked quite handsome and suave last night, but when we first met him he had a headful of soft, feathery curls, lots of pastel clothes, many little bracelets and necklaces, a knock kneed walk with hands in front pockets.  Every conversation with a woman was done in a whispery voice, looking up through his lashes with his fingers over his mouth,  as demure as a Geisha in training.  It was never any wonder all the guys wanted to punch him.

On the other hand he was never a villain or a "piece of sh*t."  The show is really exaggerating that to create a story arc. He always handled all the animosity from the other guys (Shawn!) well and  had a nice sense of humor.  Another plus is that big devoted family of his.

I hope Rachel doesn't win so she can be the next Bachelorette.  She pretty, smart, funny and has sparkle!

I agree with this. I really didn't like Nick on Kaitlyn's season (didn't watch Andi's) for a lot of the reason's you mentioned. I didn't have a deep dislike as some did and even felt slightly sorry for him when Shawn was over doing it with the bullying, but I couldn't understand what she saw in him when she had so many more attractive men to choose from. Then he goes and shows up on BIP with a nice cut, full facial hair (which looks so much better on him) buffed up and such a nice easy going way about him. He seemed much more mature and was friends with and sounding board for a lot of the ladies. He seemed so level headed and more at ease with a good sense of humor. I hope we see more of that but I worry that the pressure of being the Bachelor will by it's nature cause him to be more uptight. 

I hope he does good and I'm cautiously optimistic for a good season.

• Love 3

Jimmy Kimmel forced Jennifer Aniston to pick the final top 4 long before this aired just based on picture and job description and funnily enough she picked:

Corinne, Liz, Rachel, and Danielle M.

I like the way Danielle M. speaks.  It's so quiet , so it forces the listener to really lean in and pay attention, but she seemed confident in her attitude.  I guess I missed the way she was supposedly shaky or something?  I don't know, I liked her demeanor so far.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, flyingmontana said:

It seems more than obvious to me that Nick kept Liz because the producers wanted her there for at least another week of drama/ratings. Her sexual "secret" guarantees that more humiliation, shame and bitterness will have us tuning in to see her brought down for her wrong-reasoned ways.

Have the producers not learned from the Slut-shaming of Kaitlyn by social media? They may want to lowburn Liz as this dirty girl who should be shamed by taking Nick's virtue (Despite Jimmy Kimmel's observation), but I'm will to venture it will escalate out of control with blurred-out tweets and death threats.

• Love 2

Liking the start of the season so far. I think Nick is one of the best bachelors they've had by far. I find him super charismatic. Yes he's 100 times hotter than he was on his Bachelorette debut. Poor Andi Dorfman - I still think if she picked him they would have been married and had kids by now.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think Jasmine B. had the most issues dealing with the nature of the show, she was pacing around talking to herself, and really going nuts, poor girl.

And then Kristina, the one who kept having these deadly serious confessionals in the rose ceremony towards the end.

I guess instead of cattiness this episode, it was more like (I think) the women kind of just going nuts hoping Nick would like them.  There was also that blonde who was crying "prematurely" right before she got the rose.

My comment about Rachel being the most irritated was in relation to the sea of women in red.  She looked irritated the more a woman in a red dress showed up. 

1 hour ago, scribe95 said:

I wasn't impressed with any of the dresses really and all the sex talk on the first episode was a bit over the top. I hope that tames down but I doubt it. 

I LOVED Vanessa's black and white dress!

• Love 5

I really like Rachel so far. I can see why Nick gave her the first impression rose. She's a pretty, accomplished lady but so unpretentious and down to earth. She seems like she would be warm and easy to have a conversation with. With no uneccesary drama. I think she will go further than any other woman of color so far. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

I really like Rachel so far. I can see why Nick gave her the first impression rose. She's a pretty, accomplished lady but so unpretentious and down to earth. She seems like she would be warm and easy to have a conversation with. With no uneccesary drama. I think she will go further than any other woman of color so far. 

I agree.  But she won't be F1.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

I agree.  But she won't be F1.

No I don't think she will either but if she gets far enough I think she will be shoo-in for the next Bachelorette.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 6

I can't believe Nose-Balls and Sharkgirl stayed but Lauren and Olivia went home. There are some ugly girls but I tried not to judge too harshly once I realized a couple of them were actually dudes. They did the best they could with what they had to work with. I was also surprised that Taylor "my friends say you're a piece of shit" didn't get sent packing. What a stupid thing to say!

Speaking of stupid, Ladies (and gentlemen?) listen up: stop bringing up Nick's past relationships when you talk to him. Relentlessly reminding him of other women is not the way to get him to like you. Most guys his age have a couple of kids and at least one divorce under their belt so stop acting like his past is such a big deal. I can see saying it when talking with the producers because they are encouraging it for the storyline but give it a rest when you finally get a couple minutes to talk with him.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, Wouldofshouldof said:

Every now and then Liz resembled Tina Fey.  Watch for it next week...

Yeah, I can see that but I don't see her lasting much longer for people to make a comparsion. Poor girl...what woman would like it if a man after having sex with her would find her forgettable??

I had such high hopes for the contenders this season considering Nick's age and maturity level... but I see the producers have chosen from the usual chlorinated gene pool of 23-year-old bimbos. 

Running your dad's company with a nanny or being a dubious "entrepreneur" doesn't make you some successful prodigy - though I do understand why these are the only women they can cast. My friend tried to submit me and after reading that I needed "6 months of uninterrupted free time to fulfill the obligations of casting," I had to exit the process. Full-time workers don't get that much vacation time, and I'm pretty sure my boss would have my head examined if I asked to take a sabbatical for this show.

I see three, maybe four actual prospects here for Nick. Rachel, Vanessa, the salon owner with the deep V black dress who was first out of the limo, and the pediatric nurse who was in red (Danielle maybe?). I cannot remember all their names yet.

Corinne and Liz will be kept around for drama only. I'm a bit shocked that, even though they went the usual route, most of these women are nowhere near drop-dead gorgeous. Nick is twice as hot as Prince Farming, Ben, and Sean combined, yet this group of women isn't really up to par for usual Bachelor casts. Not talking about bodies, obviously - I still don't think you're allowed to get cast unless you're under 115 pounds and have a perfect bikini body. 

My pick is Vanessa, the Italian school teacher from Canada. Hoping the pediatric nurse is second. They both look like great quality women. I'm not in it for the snark this season, I genuinely hope Nick finds love. 

I really can't deal with the storyline thus far, though - Nick was never some super-villain who needed forgiveness for his "sins." He was a smart, confident guy who intimidated ex-athlete mimbos like Josh and Shawn who weren't mentally on his level. I've watched every season he's been on and not once would I have chosen any of the other dudes over him. Nor do I think he was some big-time jerk. No redemption edit is necessary for me to enjoy this season.

I hope he keeps on speaking his mind, being sarcastic, and showing the women who he is, rather than attempting to atone for some perceived past slights. 

Still shocked the model in red went home. Who sends her packing and keeps the dolphin?

• Love 19
7 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

I'm sure they told poor shark girl they'd have a cute dolphin costume for her and some lackey got her that instead, so sad. I doubt they wanted to make her look like an idiot on porpoise though.

Corny, yes.  But you totally made me laugh.  Thanks for that.  :)

• Love 1

Was that Vanessa that said she hates flowers? WTF

I hate flowers *shrug* Like I don't get a visceral rage looking at them but I don't want someone to ever give me flowers. No matter how beautiful, they always have this sickly sweet smell in my opinion and then they wilt and die quickly, which I've always thought is not a great metaphor for a relationship. 

There was something very vacant about Liz that was oddly terrifying.  Like, I think she might be insane?

lol, well funny you should say that because Liz is the one who, in the bios ABC put up, in response to the question, I would be happy if I never had to (blank) - responded with "kill someone". So yeah...

Thank you! I knew she reminded me of someone, but I couldn't put my finger on who it was. She was refreshing in that she didn't have any noticeable plastic surgery, cosmetic dental work, or hair extensions (Liz, Corinne, Camel Girl, Raven, Danielle L., Nursing Student, I'm looking at all of you).

Vanessa was stunning in my opinion and holy curves. Girl was full on hour glass with those hips, boobs and ass. I can see why Nick gave a second look and called her a keeper and as someone who has never been impressed with accents, I will say her speaking French made her even sexier. 

Liz, Liz, Liz...how mortified must she be tonight. If that is being edited in, those producers are shady af lol. 

What else is new?

Anyone else think that the psychologist/counselor telling Nick that her friend said he was a "piece of ****" was particularly tone deaf (otherwise known as mean)? And it sounded like it was really only one friend.

Tone deaf yes but it did give us Nick's hilarious snarky, "can't wait to meet her friends..." response. 

I'm like James Gunn and Kathy Griffin - I've always liked him. I think he's clever and genuine and sexy.

Same here. I roll my eyes everytime people go on about how different he was on BIP and blah, blah because as someone who has always liked Nick, I didn't think Nick was different in BIP. He just got a better edit and he wasn't competing with a bunch of guys for one woman. Because I think the only thing "wrong" with Nick was that he was always unapologetic in his pursuit of the leads. But he never misrepresented who he was, lied about a girlfriend back home like so many have before, attack the other guys (hell he was the one consistently judged and attacked). And I will forever be amused at people still referencing Andi's season like that was some accurate measure of these people when that season gave us Josh Murray who so many thought was such a catch. Yeah, about that. And by the way, Nick pegged Josh way back then to the tee.

I really can't deal with the storyline thus far, though - Nick was never some super-villain who needed forgiveness for his "sins." He was a smart, confident guy who intimidated ex-athlete mimbos like Josh and Shawn who weren't mentally on his level. I've watched every season he's been on and not once would I have chosen any of the other dudes over him. Nor do I think he was some big-time jerk. No redemption edit is necessary for me to enjoy this season.

Yup, this. 

• Love 8

This show ruined it for me right off the bat with the repeated montage of Nick saying he's the "bashhalur." Oh my, I never noticed before he lacks pronunciation skills. That said, I don't have a clue what Nick has to "repent" for. Andi slept with him the night before she kicked him to the curb and he had hurt feelings, and said so on national tv. You know, the same national tv that this show is a big ratings boost for. I've never seen him (been allowed to see him) do anything malicious or mean. I've always liked him.

I hope Nick does "find love," but it's funny that everyone says his being on his fourth time means he's ready for love. Well, yeah, that, or ready to be a bigger famewhore. I'm hoping for the "find love" thing, although I'm not THAT hopeful it will happen.

• Love 9

I like Rachel and have my money on her being next Bachelorette, right out of the gate, after the first episode. Remember people, you read it here first. But man, I wish she would do something about that forehead, it's bigger than a living room bureau. It's HUGE. Bigger than Kelsey Grammer's forehead, and that's saying something. And "lawyer" is a red flag for me (for Nick). Remember Andi, Nick? Still, I see her staying around a long time. I'm just waiting for her to put on a hat or something.

3 hours ago, PreviouslyTV said:

The new season begins with 29 well-dressed ladies, and one who never takes off her shark costume.

View the full article

Yay! We get Jeff Drake for recapper!! His hilarious, snarky disdain for this franchise is the best! If this is any indication, 2017 is off to a stellar start!

• Love 3

I never understood what Nick did to warrant hatred.  The thing I recall was that he asked Andi why she had sex with him if she was in love with Josh.  Then that was seen as "slut shaming", though, come on!  This is a show that gives the lead "fantasy suite" overnight dates to help them decide who to get engaged to.  Can we actually blame someone for calling out that behavior??

• Love 8

The neo-natal nurse reminds me of Whitney (Chris's choice). They even look alike

Her similarities to Whitney Bischoff are no small part as to why Danielle M is my favorite. Personal favorite that is. I think she will go far (probably in the final 6) but I don't think she'll win, as she seems too sweet and ground for noted man-whore Nick Vile. But placing relatively high is fine by me, as that means she would be in good standing to be the Bachelorette.

I looked her up, the M stands or Maltby, and she is the contestant whose fiancé passed away. She is a neo-natal nurse, which puts her in the high percentiles, career-wise, amongst all the "aspiring dolphin trainers (who can't tell a dolphin from a shark)" and "multi-million dollar business owners (who live at home and still have a nanny at 24)". She is also a model, and for my money, instantly on the short list for most beautiful contestant. Others can, and will, disagree, but as someone who ranks Trista Sutter, Rozlyn Papa, Emily Maynard, and the aforementioned Whitney Bischoff, among the most beautiful, Danielle fits right in.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, scribe95 said:

I agree on his fascination with boobs. The first woman who got out he was staring at her chest when he talked/mumbled a few words.

In his defense, as a straight female I was staring at her boobs too. I mean, they were there on full display. lol

I kind of liked how he unashamedly looked each of them up and down, and even followed some of the women out the door with his eyes. The man appreciates eh female form.

• Love 9

noted man-whore Nick Vile.

And this is why for all the claims of double standards against women versus men, sometimes there is a double standard the other way too. So many screamed slut shaming for anyone who criticized Andi for sleeping with Nick days before choosing Josh and especially after saying she knew Josh was the one for her fairly early. And it was the same regarding people's opinions of Kaitlyn and her actions during her season. Yet Nick is constantly regarded by some as a man-whore and I don't know what that is based off of.

Having sex with Andi who he was ready to propose to and same with Kaitlyn, who he was also ready to propose to? It's like Nick said in the Sunday night special to the woman who asked if he's really ready for commitment, "I'm the one who got dumped twice."And yet it's like he's judged as this guy who's just going around hooking up with these women and moving on. 

And there's the hookup with Liz except as stated by Liz herself, Nick asked for her number and she said no and wanted to keep things as is. So what exactly has Nick done on these shows that make him such a man whore but these women are not and apparently you can't judge them because it's slut shaming?

I did notice the trend last night toward the idea of Nick being very sexual, with all the sex comments from some of the women but I don't think that necessarily makes a person a man whore. Ashley I. in her blog post for Cosmo before the season started, I think explained Nick well and the reaction to him.

She admitted that before she met him, she too thought he was a jerk and was all about Josh during Andi's season and couldn't understand why Andi even brought Nick so far. She said the first time she met him was when they showed up on Kaitlyn's season, during the filming of the group date and she later hung out with him, Jared and someone else. And she said that was when she got it. That Nick has this energy and presence when you're around him that is very sexy and attractive. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, gator12 said:

Funny:  my hubby said last night about how Whitney, who he really liked, has disappeared from The Bachelor universe.  I guess she hasn't disppeared completely.......

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Nedsdag said:

So the final rose will be given out in Siberia? Or is it Antarctica? 

It's actually Finland, where I actually was, apparently at the same time the F3 and final rose were taking place.  Leave it to The Bachelor to retroactively ruin my vacation.

That said, it's a really beautiful place and I would go back there in a heartbeat!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

On the other hand he was never a villain or a "piece of sh*t."  The show is really exaggerating that to create a story arc. He always handled all the animosity from the other guys (Shawn!) well and  had a nice sense of humor.  Another plus is that big devoted family of his.

I don't get this storyline, either. They talking like he did the unthinkable, like Brad Womack (hah, like not picking any girl is unthinkable!) or Juan Pablo. Give it a rest, show!! He was never a true villain, just unliked by some of the meatheads (probably because they didn't understand his vocabulary.)

5 hours ago, Pixel said:

I spent the whole time dying for someone to point out to the dolphin expert that her costume had gills, not a blowhole.

And those sharp shark teeth. Maybe Dolphin girl is really a fan of sharks and doesn't realize it? 

5 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Jennifer Aniston pulled that "show up in a costume" stunt on Burning Love.

And hers had a full head... That was funny.

• Love 5

There's more than one Jasmine?

I had high hopes for her, in her package she said she went to Johns Hopkins and I was impressed but she came off bad in this episode. In the season preview, there's a scene of her in the spa where she looks like Jaslene from Top Model (dating myself?)

I am kind of in love with Rachel and especially Vanessa. She is a knockout, a kind-hearted special ed teacher and fluent in sexy languages. I was confused that Rachel said she went to law school "by" Marquette. Was that a nervous stumble? Or did she go to like UWM or something. Also kind of weird because Waukesha is so close to Milwaukee I wonder if she realized that?

Nick's little sister is adorable and I loved how he called her "sweetheart" or something similar when they were kicking the ball around.

So did that girl really call Neil Lane and ask him to come??

Drinking game: Drink when Liz, Stage 5 Clinger says "nine months ago". And why the constant emphasis on nine months....is there a surprise baby this season?

Edited by Kbilly
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

He does. But in the most endearing way possible. He kind of seems just happy-go-lucky.

As a serious DCC Making The Team fan, I felt second-hand embarrassment for Jasmine. Yikes girl. Guess it's good you're no longer representing the team. 

I do not watch The Bachelor.  

I would have thought -- based on the high standards the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders organization purports to select for in its applicants -- that Jasmine, being a a three-year representative of the DCC, would have presented as mature, articulate, grounded, put-together, professional, and at ease and in control around the cameras.  I expected that Jasmine would come across exceptionally well, smelling like a "rose" in fact, and not like one of those insecure, overly emotional, or otherwise negatively portrayed contestants you read about each installment.  

So what, exactly, about Jasmine's appearance on The Bachelor has made you so embarrassed for her.