Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Would You Rather?

• Start Topic

A simple but very fun one: ask a "would you rather..." question about any aspect of the show, give two choices, and the responder picks one before then adding his/her own question.

Would you rather...

Spend an entire week "partying" with the vapid, obnoxious Life and Death Brigade or touring with Hep Alien? (And, yes, touring with Hep Alien means you'd have to hear them play that music of theirs every night!) 

Edited by mstaken

OMG.  Wow.

I'm going to say.....tour with Hep Alien.  (Would probably eat a whole lot better with the other guys though, heh.)

WYR flash back in time to see Mrs. Kim's all-girl tambourine band perform, or see Miss Patty perform in one of her (way) off-Broadway shows?

Hee---both would spend the whole time snarking on me mercilessly, but it would amuse me more to see Michel practiving his 'moves' and thinking he's far cooler than he is, so I'll go with him :) 

Which weird but (to me!) oddly intriguing pairing would you rather have seen for at least a little while: Paris/Jess, Digger/Gypsy or Tristan/Tana? :) 

Well, the only one I think would have any sort of chance would be Paris and Jess, and I always kinda wanted to see that anyway.  Gypsy would never put up with Jason's Jason-ness, and Tristan and Tana is just full of NO.  LOL.

Here's an interesting one, I think, concerning Lorelai and Chris' relationship -

WYR Gigi never have been born, thus allowing L/C to really be together for at least a while after S2, or that Sherry never ran off to Paris, so that Chris was not available to pursue Lorelai (and cause problems between her and Luke) in S5?

It's awful even by my standards to wish Gigi had never been born, but, yeah, Sherry's pregnancy was so tiresome and contrived to me, and I loved the Christopher/Lorelai chemistry in S2 so very much, so...that one :) 

Tristan and Tana is just full of NO

Fine, then I refuse to let you read my VERY popular Tana/Tristan fanfic if such a thing ever exists! ;) And, yeah, I'd go with Paris/Jess as well! 

WYR Rory never have slept with YesHe'sMarried Dean or never have stolen the yacht/dropped out of Yale?

But I've already slammed the door!  Okay, okay, I'll just answer your question and then slam it again.  :P

I'd rather Rory never have slept with Married!Dean.  It did far more long-term damage.  Well, not to the pretty, pretty princess of Stars Hollow of course, but to Dean, to Lindsay, and to their families.  Stealing the yacht was childish and she did have to face the consequences, but adultery destroys lives.

Ummmm......

Which ill-fated romance would you rather have seen really gotten off the ground - Paris and Tristan, or Lane and Henry?

I'll go with Paris/Tristan! I think she deserves better, but at least their pairing would have been entertaining, while Lane/Henry was sort of a yawn for me :)

Lorelai and Luke switch jobs for a week! WYR see kitchen-impaired Lorelai trying to cook for all those hungry customers at Luke's, or Luke trying to be all polite and diplomatic with discontent customers at the Inn? 

Oh what a great question!  I'll let someone else answer it, as I feel like I've been hogging them.  Very interesting though!

...Lane/Henry was sort of a yawn for me :)

Aww, I liked Henry.  I thought he would have been good to kind of open Lane's eyes to how silly she was being by hiding everything from her mom.  Alas, it was not to be.

• Love 1

Luke dealing with guests at the inn. Lorelai's cooking skills are so dismal that she would end up relying on the rest of the kitchen staff to do all the work, so I feel like watching Luke deal with cranky guests and managing Michele would be much more entertaining.

Time to explore a couple of relationships that almost went the distance ... but didn't. WYR have Lorelai go through with her marriage to Max or have Luke marry Rachel when she came back in season one? (Not ruling out divorce in either of these cases, but obviously either one would have impacted a lot of other things).

Definitely Luke marrying Rachel. I never loved Rachel as much as most fans, but I seriously never got Lorelai/Max on any level, so Luke and Rachel marrying would have made a whole lot more sense to me...not to mention FAR more understandable than Luke's impulsive marriage to Nicole! 

Which of Rory's triumphs over Paris do you wish hadn't happened: being made valedictorian (guess that D she got at the beginning of the series didn't count against her!); Tristan preferring Rory to Paris; Rory being made editor of the Daily News over Paris despite not even seeking out the position and not even having been in school for an entire semester. 

Definitely did not like Rory being made editor of the YDN. I've kind of blocked out those episodes but I can't recall there being any evidence that Rory deserved it. For most of her time at the paper she seemed to be a mid-level writer.

WYR date Kirk or Taylor?

Edited by nolieblue
  • Love 1
WYR date Kirk or Taylor?

Heh---is death a third option here? ;) I guess Kirk, because while he bugs the living hell out of me, he at least tries---in his own odd way--to make people happy. 

WYR work directly for Richard or for Emily? 

• LOL 1

I guess Kirk, because while he bugs the living hell out of me, he at least tries---in his own odd way--to make people happy.

That's a really good point.  Aw, Kirk.

WYR work directly for Richard or for Emily?

Richard.  There would at least be a chance of pleasing him if I did good work.

WYR we got to meet (or at least see) Al, or Mr. Kim?

There would at least be a chance of pleasing him if I did good work.

Heh---I totally agree. And he'd be mercifully silent more often than Emily! 

I'd prefer to see the infamous Al. I kind of liked the little in joke about never actually seeing Lane's father, especially as a sly commentary on how Mama Kim was so domineering that it's almost as if no other decision-making adult was in the household :) 

WYR participate in the town's dance marathon or festival of living art?

Hee!  Maybe Mrs. Kim found a way to somehow absorb her husband into herself so she was the One True Parent.  Or something.

I would love to dress up for the dance marathon, but actually dancing I'd last about as long as Babette did.  It'd be fun to run a table or something though.  But I would definitely be in attendance for the FoLA.  I thought it was amazing.

Speaking of attendance -

WYR be forced to attend the Poe reading (all ninety-five hours of it) or Kirk's strange and vaguely creepy mime in WGMTD?

I would love to dress up for the dance marathon, but actually dancing I'd last about as long as Babette did.

I'm so with you there. And don't get me started on Mama Kim's ghastly looking eggless egg salad sandwiches being the only source of nourishment! 

WYR be forced to attend the Poe reading (all ninety-five hours of it) or Kirk's strange and vaguely creepy mime in WGMTD?

Argh! Why must you torture your fellow fans? ;) I guess I'd sit through the Poe readings, as those would just bore me, while Kirk's whatever-the-hell-that-was would give me nightmares. 

Which relationship would you have preferred to last longer: Rory/Jess, Lorelai/Digger or Luke/Rachel?

Rory/Jess It seemed to me that Jess got jerky pretty quickly. (Standing her up and not calling etc)

Would you rather have seen L/L go on the roller coaster tour or go on the boat to Maine?

Hee, I'll say the roller coaster tour because I think Luke would be more out of his element there, and that's always funny to watch.  I can just see Lorelai stopping at every amusement park eatery and Luke being horrified at what all she's consuming.

You're dining at Luke's!  Do you have a cheeseburger or a French dip sub?  (It's early, I'm tired.)

Can I take an order of his salt-n-pepper fries instead?! 

Luke and Lorelai both try to make a major personality change. WYR watch Lorelai trying to refrain from any babbling for an entire week, or Luke trying to be cheerful and enthusiastic? 

Oh, Sookie and Jackson's wedding by far. I don't know if TJ would live if I had to be around him more than 5 minutes, especially in the obnoxiousness of a Ren Faire setting.

You can eliminate one of Rory's boyfriends from ever existing on the show. WYR eliminate Dean, Jess or Logan?

• Love 1
(edited)
. I don't know if TJ would live if I had to be around him more than 5 minutes, especially in the obnoxiousness of a Ren Faire setting.

Ha! Please tell me you'll write a murder mystery fanfic in which TJ and/or Liz is the victim...?!

You can eliminate one of Rory's boyfriends from ever existing on the show. WYR eliminate Dean, Jess or Logan?

Hmmm...okay, so I know it's not Jess, who I thought had a great chemistry and connection with Rory. I like Dean even less than I do Logan, but I think the latter had a more adverse affect on Rory's personality. I despised his friends and family...and the never-not-smirking actor who played him :) That said, Logan was at least occasionally a compelling and/or entertaining character for me, while Dean never managed to do anything but bore and/or irk me in pretty much every scene, and I never got his connection with Rory on any level. 

Overall, I guess I'd reluctantly keep Logan...but only if I could cast him with another actor :) 

Speaking of which, if you had to recast one of the following roles, who would you pick and why: Luke, Logan, Dean, Max, Jess or Digger? 

Edited by mstaken

I'm tempted to say Logan because I agree with you about the smirking, but he grew on me by the end of the series (shut up) and I could at least see why Rory found him attractive and appealing.  I cannot, however, say the same for Max.  I do actually wonder if I would be less put-off by his relationship with Lorelai if he were played by a different actor, so he gets my vote.

Same sort of question about some of the townies - are there any you would rather see played by different actors?  Miss Patty, Babette, Taylor, Andrew, etc?

• Love 2
(edited)

Great answer, Taryn---as always! 

are there any you would rather see played by different actors?  Miss Patty, Babette, Taylor, Andrew, etc?

Babette! Sally Struthers drives me all kinds of crazy. If we can pick one you didn't list, though, I'd go with Liz. Based on how the character was written, she'd never be a favorite of mine [/understatement], but I just CAN'T with that particular actress. She made an already annoying role immeasurably more grating for me.

WYR be raised (or have a child you know and love be raised) by Emily or by Mrs. Kim? 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 1

Mrs. Kim, for sure.  For all sorts of reasons.

(The food would be better at the Gilmores though.  Hmmm, I might have to put some more thought into that one LOL.)

Babette! Sally Struthers drives me all kinds of crazy.

Hee!  I knew you'd pick Babette.  I remember how you don't like her screechy voice.  I'd kinda like to see a different actor playing Andrew.  He was just so blah.  I can't even really picture what he looks like at the moment.

Which would embarrass you more to be seen with in public - Zach in his silk wedding robe, or Brian's cousin in his Zorro costume?

I live in California, nothing phases me. ;>) Probably Zorro if I had to chose.

Which interruption would you eliminate?

Kirk running naked out of the Dragonfly thus causing Luke to stop and run after him or The school kids running off the stage during Fiddler and stopping a potential making up moment between L/L?

(edited)
I live in California, nothing phases me. ;>)

Ha!!!!

It was the first of 3 times we saw Kirk naked unfortunately.

Hee---really?! My brain has helpfully blocked out the other two :) 

I hate those kind of contrived interruptions especially when no one follows up

Same here! You're up, by the way :) 

Edited by mstaken

GOOD LORD.  Between the two, I'd have to say the Huntzbergers.  At least Mitchum had some redeeming qualities, IMO.  I saw nothing good out of Straub or Francine either one.

Ignoring parental issues, would you rather be siblings with Jason or Christopher?  (Don't know why I picked those two, they're just who popped into my head.)

Heh---I'll take Digger as my brother. I really like Christopher, but I feel like his sibling would have been forever bailing him out of some sort of jam. (As a side note, it's interesting how relatively many of the GG characters were only children as compared to the general population!) 

WYR be stuck in an elevator with Liz/TJ or Colin/Finn?!

I'm gonna go with Colin/Finn. They're unlikely to be interested in me (not a hot young undergrad) so hopefully will fall asleep. Liz and TJ would no doubt talk and/or fight the entire time.

WYR  Spend day shopping with Emily or Luke?

• Love 1
I'm gonna go with Colin/Finn. They're unlikely to be interested in me (not a hot young undergrad) so hopefully will fall asleep. Liz and TJ would no doubt talk and/or fight the entire time.

Hee! I love your rationale :) 

I'd rather go shopping with Luke; he's one of the few people who hates shopping as much as I do, so we'd probably mutually agree to make it a very quick and painless outing :) 

Which one of these characters who was around two or fewer seasons WYR have seen throughout all seven seasons of the series: Tristan, Digger, Tanna, Nicole or Rachel?

I'm torn between Digger, Rachel or Tristan. Tanna was a disaster of a character from the beginning and Nicole was so boring. I liked the character of Digger though not for Lorelai's love interest. However, Stars Hollow has enough quirk. Tristan was pretty one dimensional and I'm not sure how that bad boy act would survive college. Rachel it is -- though not as a love interest for Luke. Maybe she could have stayed around town to give Lorelai a little competition as belle of the ball - something Rachel likely wouldn't care about but that would drive Lorelai crazy. 

Sorry, forgot it was my turn.

WYR stay at the Dragonfly or the Independence Inn?

Edited by nolieblue
(edited)

Welcome, girlonthepark! 

I'm tempted to say I'd rather do Europe with Emily, as the food, accommodations and attractions would be of a sublime level that I could never otherwise enjoy, but then I remembered the whole 'but it's EMILY' thing, so I'll choose Lorelai :) 

We're getting a special genre episode of GG! WYR see our characters involved in a murder mystery, sci-fi or a period piece? 

Edited by mstaken

Although a period piece would be good.  Lorelai is, of course, Elizabeth Bennet and Luke is Mr. Darcy. Rory is Jane but who is Mr. Bingley? Of course Kirk must be Mr. Collins. :)

• Love 1

What a tough one! I'll go with Liz, an impossibly annoying character played by an irksome actress. She was in more episodes and hence had more opportunities to raise my poor blood pressure. She was a horribly selfish, irritating and obnoxious poseur whose egregious behavior---including her jaw-droppingly awful parenting of Jess---was somehow excused as 'cute' and 'oh, that's just our Liz!' Plus, If Liz were never on GG, we wouldn't have had to endure the nightmare that is TJ! 

WYR have seen Paris date Colin, Finn, Logan, Jess, Dean, Zach, Brian or Dave Rygalski? 

(edited)

I think Paris and Jess would have been fun, with a lot more tension than Rory/Jess. I liked the scene in "There's the Rub" where they were debating literature...much more interesting and fiery than when he and Rory talked books.

Which of Rory's secondary friend circles would you rather hang with, Madeline/Louise or Lucy/Olivia?

Edited by Iseut

I'd go with Lucy/Olivia. Except for the whole 'boyfriend' thing, both girls seemed well rounded and not rude or obnoxious.

Since I just saw that Revolution got cancelled (Sorry Billy Burke aka Alex) Would you rather go on a date with Alex or Peyton?

Definitely Alex! Neither one struck me as all that fascinating, but Alex didn't seem nearly as pretentious. Plus, dating someone who's in any way affiliated with Emily is perilous for all involved :) 

Which fairly popular 'love interest' do wish had stuck around as a friend and recurrent minor character throughout the series: Jason or Rachel? 

Hmm, I don't like either one, but if I had to choose, I would say Jason, just because he and Lorelai did have some interesting banter back and forth at times while I never got a good feel for Rachel.

WYR be a member of the Puffs, the Life and Death Brigade, or the DAR?

(edited)

None of the above!!! Oh, wait, that's not an acceptable answer? ;) I guess I'll go with DAR, which is at least philanthropic. They'd totally boot me out within five minutes of meeting me, though! 

Which young couple WYR had never become romantically involved in the first place: Rory/Dean, Rory/Logan, Rory/Jess, Lane/Zach or Paris/Doyle?

Edited by mstaken