Type keyword(s) to search

Dorit Kemsley: She's an American, She Was Born in Connecticut!

• Start Topic

(edited)
On Wed Jan 11 2017 at 0:11 PM, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Can't STAND. Using words like "fancy" insead of "crush" and that fake accent. I just can't. Plus, she appears to be full of shit, and her husband seems like a jerk. So, just had to come and spread a little sunshine around about Dorito.

AGREED, she is one irritating pretentious chick to say the least. PK comes across like his shit doesn't stink, I think that's why they gel as well as they do.?=??! 

*MAY THIS BE THEIR LAST SEASON!!!!

Edited by Yolo
  • Love 4

Dorit should be thanking her lucky stars Eden seems to be so utterly unpopular with the rest of the HWs (sans Vanderpump). Otherwise, I think Dorit wouldn't stand a chance in hell of getting a second season. But I think the leaden reaction to Eden's attempts at creating drama, and the fact that everyone seems to call out Eden's thirstiness bodes well for Dorit to survive the axe.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, KFC said:

Dorit should be thanking her lucky stars Eden seems to be so utterly unpopular with the rest of the HWs (sans Vanderpump). Otherwise, I think Dorit wouldn't stand a chance in hell of getting a second season. But I think the leaden reaction to Eden's attempts at creating drama, and the fact that everyone seems to call out Eden's thirstiness bodes well for Dorit to survive the axe.

Creepy and irritating can both go!??

• Love 1

Have to give Dorit a break, she may not be completely pretentious.  As the adult child of a Brit mum who lived in the U.S. southwest for over 10 yrs, married to a Yank, & (like VDP) never lost her English accent, I think accent retention can be partially a conscious choice - words said in "American" just don't sound correct issuing from one's own, very English maw.  OTOH, I attended an English school in London as a teen, & quickly, effortlessly, & unintentionally picked up an English accent.  Returning to the USA, I also effortlessly lost most of the UK accent PDQ, simply due to my environment & associates. 

Additionally, many terms in the UK are different than in the US & the former tend to sound a little twee to American ears - "fancy" rather than "crush", "lovely" rather than "nice," etc., so Dorit's speech may not be a complete affectation. I still ask people for a "torch" sometimes, instead of a flashlight, & may complain of uneven "pavement," when I mean sidewalk - not putting on airs, just a bit of a bi-continental.

• Love 12
22 hours ago, AndySmith said:

I think the LOL have picked up a few word here and there, but for the most part, they sound unmistakably American more than anything. And not "American trying to sound British" like Dorit or Madonna during her Madge phase.

Then she would have had an Israeli accent. And I'm not sure how much of it can be "blamed" on the parents. I am not from an English speaking country and didn't grow up in one either. Neither of my parents are native English speakers either. And yet, I went to an American curriculum private school where all the faculty were Americans and 1/3 of the student body were American. Me and almost all of my classmates (depending on when they joined the school) all speak English with American accents. So Dorit's accent should be American as she was growing up in American (unless the school and town in Connecticut were all non-Americans, her accent really makes no sense whatsoever to me.

So you can pick up an American accent from being around Americans, but Dorit can't pick up whatever weird morph she has from having Israeli parents, living in Italy (and who knows where else), and being married to PK?  

• Love 6

So you can pick up an American accent from being around Americans, but Dorit can't pick up whatever weird morph she has from having Israeli parents, living in Italy (and who knows where else), and being married to PK?  

Actually, yes. Your analogy is faulty. I grew up surrounded by Americans with Arab parents. Dorit grew up surrounded by Americans with Israeli parents. And then she went to Italy. If she is going to have a bullshit accent, it would make more sense for it be a some weird American/Israeli/slightly Italian hybrid. Not some faux-English accent that would probably make Madonna roll her eyes and say "Seriously, Dorit, what the fuck is that?"

Hell, it isn't like she moved to the UK and met PK there and built a life with him. They met in New York City!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

Actually, yes. Your analogy is faulty. I grew up surrounded by Americans with Arab parents. Dorit grew up surrounded by Americans with Israeli parents. And then she went to Italy. If she is going to have a bullshit accent, it would make more sense for it be a some weird American/Israeli/slightly Italian hybrid. Not some faux-English accent that would probably make Madonna roll her eyes and say "Seriously, Dorit, what the fuck is that?"

Hell, it isn't like she moved to the UK and met PK there and built a life with him. They met in New York City!

None of her Brit friends when asked (Boy George/LVP) think Dorit has a British accent.  I don't know what it is but perhaps instead of feeding her speech affectation she should learn the meaning of certain words in the English language and when to use them.  I noticed the last time Dorit was on WWHL there was much less affectation.  My guess is she watched herself and realized she sounded pretty bad.

• Love 4

None of her Brit friends when asked (Boy George/LVP) think Dorit has a British accent

I'm sure they said the same thing about Madonna, even while the rest of us were laughing at her "accent" too.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

And it is completely unlikely that her social circle in Italy contained a bunch of English speaking ex-pats from countries other than America?  I don't really care that much, I just think that one person's life experiences don't define the entire world's.  

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 7

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It that case, I'm glad she didn't end up with a faux-English/Australian/Indian/Hong Kong/Canadian/whatever accent. Then again, I'm already laughing at her anyway, why not make it even more comedic. "Hey, are y'all guys chat-ting about that Sheila over there, eh?"

I never said my own life experience defined the entire world. Just that her accent doesn't make sense given her own life experience.

• Love 3

Do you really know her life experience though?  I personally have no idea who she hung out with through most of her life or where she lived most of it.  I know what little I've seen on the show, but I don't seek articles out.  I won't be writing a Dorit biography anytime soon.  Maybe you have spent more time learning about her life than I have.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AndySmith said:

I'm sure they said the same thing about Madonna, even while the rest of us were laughing at her "accent" too.

I have a friend I watch the show with and she was raised in NJ and her mother was British.  She loses her mind every week over Dorit's accent.  SHe always says she pretending she is British.  I don't think she is pretending to be British I just think she didn't like the way she sounded and took a liking to different speech patterns and accents.  No one way makes a big deal of Erika losing her southern accent in LA.  With this group of people be it their fake boobs, pumped up lips, extensions, face lifts, Spanx, sky high heels, it just seems to me they spend an inordinate amount of time trying to give a better look.  I can only assume Dorit believes her amalgam of accents and word pronunciation makes her sound more wordly.  It certain inspires the first question posed to her-"where are you from?"

I am curious if anyone has ever heard Dorit speak Italian?  I know we have heard some of the NJ folks and Luann, I just wonder how her Italian sounds.  It would be interesting if Luann and Dorit, two girls from Connecticut would have an Italian -off. 

• Love 9

I don't know why Ericka is being dragged into this, since it isn't exactly the same situation. Ericka just dulled her accent a little, it isn't like she started using an accent from another country...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

None of her Brit friends when asked (Boy George/LVP) think Dorit has a British accent.  I don't know what it is but perhaps instead of feeding her speech affectation she should learn the meaning of certain words in the English language and when to use them.  I noticed the last time Dorit was on WWHL there was much less affectation.  My guess is she watched herself and realized she sounded pretty bad.

Her accent doesn't other me but the "clipped" speech does. Sounds snotty and pretentious.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

I don't know why Ericka is being dragged into this, since it isn't exactly the same situation. Ericka just dulled her accent a little, it isn't like she started using an accent from another country...

Erika didn't just dull her southern accent, she eradicated it. No one would ever think she was born and raised in Atlanta Georgia had they met her in some shop/restaurant L.A. LOL

1 minute ago, Almost 3000 said:

Her accent doesn't other me but the "clipped" speech does. Sounds snotty and pretentious.

I agree, Dorit's speech (over enunciating) is similar to Heather Dubrow's. Must be the way upper middle/upper class people from Connecticut talk. LOL 

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

I have a friend I watch the show with and she was raised in NJ and her mother was British.  She loses her mind every week over Dorit's accent.  SHe always says she pretending she is British.  I don't think she is pretending to be British I just think she didn't like the way she sounded and took a liking to different speech patterns and accents.  No one way makes a big deal of Erika losing her southern accent in LA.  With this group of people be it their fake boobs, pumped up lips, extensions, face lifts, Spanx, sky high heels, it just seems to me they spend an inordinate amount of time trying to give a better look.  I can only assume Dorit believes her amalgam of accents and word pronunciation makes her sound more wordly.  It certain inspires the first question posed to her-"where are you from?"

It's funny that you mention Dorit possibly thinking her accent sounds worldly. It reminds me of Ryan Gosling's bullshit accent. He was raised in Canada and Florida, so naturally he sounds like he grew up in Brooklyn. He admits that it's made up and that he adopted it to seem tougher, but that he's been doing it for so long that he can't shake it. It's his natural accent now.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

It is all English.  I don't get why people are so territorial over the different English dialects.  Erika manages to lose her southern accent when she is in LA and it returns when she goes home,  So what is the deal?  Does she work on having a more homogenized way of speaking with her travels over the past 25 years from Atlanta to NJ, NY and ultimately California or is she faking it and really speaks in Southern drawl when not being filmed? It is exactly the same thing.  My point was more about these women do a lot of things they believe make them look better and in some cases sound better.  Affected speech is just on the list.  It is a lot easier to lose an accent, take out extensions than it is to have implants removed or blown up lips. 

• Love 9
(edited)

No, I'm just wondering why Ericka needs to be dragged into a conversation about Dorit on Dorit's thread? It's like a diversion or something. I don't see Ericka's case as similar to Dorit's, nor do I see it anywhere as annoying as Dorit's. I mean, I get it, you don't like Ericka, but still...

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, AndySmith said:

No, I'm just wondering why Ericka needs to be dragged into a conversation about Dorit on Dorit's thread? It's like a diversion or something. I don't see Ericka's case as similar to Dorit's, nor do I see it anywhere as annoying as Dorit's. I mean, I get it, you don't like Ericka, but still...

I think that happens with all of us, the "bitch eating crackers" mindset when you do not like someone. That said, I don't think ZM dislikes Erika, I think she is more in between, both liking/disliking her depending on what Erika says/does. Maybe it is as simple as comparing the accents of 2 different women on the same show that are not natural to them. Which is something that Dorit and Erika have in common, unnatural accents. LOL 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

@HunterHunted Thanks for bringing up Rosie. I had forgotten about that show. Must have went out on a poof. I always wondered if it was hearing loss. I need to get out more.

Do you remember that SNL sketch about her accent? "I grew up in England. I moved to America at 18 and everyday my tongue is stung by a 1000 bees."

Rosie was so adamant that there was no hearing loss. Dorit's accent is weird, but Rosie's is confounding and Noelle Reno from season 1 Ladies of London was way worse than Dorit's.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AndySmith said:

See I find it amusing that people talk about Dorit's fake accent and Erika has a second persona, that she drifts in and out of.  There are some things I like about Erika, her Erika Jayne persona is not one of them.  I like Erika much better away from Yolanda.   I don't appreciate anyone telling me who I can like or who I do like-I can handle that all on my own.  Thanks though. Well, I really think I am allowed to make comparisons between two RH and I don't recall seeing a comparison thread. 

• Love 11

I think accents have something to do with brain wiring. There are some people who never lose their accents after years and years of living somewhere, and some people who lose them completely. Without a conscious effort to change it, I'd say most people past adulthood keep the accent they grew up with for the  most part, but are also affected by their surroundings, even unintentionally.  I know a bunch of English people who here, in Canadia, have very English accents, but when they return home are told they have "American" accents (Rodney Dangerfield has nothing on Canada in the "getting no respect" department, but I digress), and they are sometimes kind of annoyed about that because it seems they were going out of their way to keep their Englishness.

Some people are just natural mimics, and there are others who couldn't affect an even partially French sounding accent if their lives depended on it. (And some days, in Mme Fornier's class, you came pretty close to your life actually depending on it, just sayin').  

There's also a degree of affection, imo. In my younger years I noticed that some people would visit London for two weeks and return with an English accent which would somehow miraculously take them a month to lose. Such people would invariably claim to pick up accents very easily. But, if you're so easily affected by other accents, how come you aren't picking up the accent here, I'd always wonder. 

I think Dorit is one of those people whose accent is not super hard wired like some people, and I also think she enjoys her status as an international and thus affects it to some degree.  But because of the way her brain is wired, it's less of a conscious, intentional put-on than it would be if say, I, were doing it.  Because my brain doesn't go there, it sounds stupid and fake to me, but for her, it could be mostly unintentional. That's my take anyway. Any linguists out there to shed some light?

• Love 10

I've always been fascinated with the British accents.  I know when I watch a lot of British tv I tend to pick up words or sometimes change my sentence structure, mostly just in my head, not aloud.  I once almost referred to my side view mirror as my "wing mirror" because of all the Formula 1 races and British car rehab shows that Mr Darling watches. 

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Jel said:

I think accents have something to do with brain wiring. There are some people who never lose their accents after years and years of living somewhere, and some people who lose them completely. Without a conscious effort to change it, I'd say most people past adulthood keep the accent they grew up with for the  most part, but are also affected by their surroundings, even unintentionally.  I know a bunch of English people who here, in Canadia, have very English accents, but when they return home are told they have "American" accents (Rodney Dangerfield has nothing on Canada in the "getting no respect" department, but I digress), and they are sometimes kind of annoyed about that because it seems they were going out of their way to keep their Englishness.

Some people are just natural mimics, and there are others who couldn't affect an even partially French sounding accent if their lives depended on it. (And some days, in Mme Fornier's class, you came pretty close to your life actually depending on it, just sayin').  

There's also a degree of affection, imo. In my younger years I noticed that some people would visit London for two weeks and return with an English accent which would somehow miraculously take them a month to lose. Such people would invariably claim to pick up accents very easily. But, if you're so easily affected by other accents, how come you aren't picking up the accent here, I'd always wonder. 

I think Dorit is one of those people whose accent is not super hard wired like some people, and I also think she enjoys her status as an international and thus affects it to some degree.  But because of the way her brain is wired, it's less of a conscious, intentional put-on than it would be if say, I, were doing it.  Because my brain doesn't go there, it sounds stupid and fake to me, but for her, it could be mostly unintentional. That's my take anyway. Any linguists out there to shed some light?

It's not as if Dorit comes back from England and never hears a British accent again, as long as PK is in the house, she hears it every single day. Which would reinforce that accent, also add in the Boy George stays/lives with them when he is in LA. LOL

• Love 10

That's true, Wirewrap, she does hear English accents daily which I imagine would tend to reinforce hers.  Oddly though, her accent is slightly posh, iirc, whereas PK and George have pretty working class accents. My takeaway - brains are complicated. (You read it here first, folks ;)

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Jel said:

That's true, Wirewrap, she does hear English accents daily which I imagine would tend to reinforce hers.  Oddly though, her accent is slightly posh, iirc, whereas PK and George have pretty working class accents. My takeaway - brains are complicated. (You read it here first, folks ;)

THANK YOU!  It explains why I pick up a Canadian accent (despite having left my Homeland in the early 80s) whenever I talk to a Canadian on the phone - a lot, lately, as my Mum died in a lovely Canadian hospice - but I digress, because those damned Canucks think I sound 'Merican, eh.  heh.

• Love 4

I am sorry about your, Mom, Walnut Queen.  But glad she got good hospice care though.

Pop, chocolate bar, hydro, loonie, the CBC, Swiss Chalet, White Spot, bilingual labeling packaging, our refusal to abolish the letter U! Never forget, eh.

• Love 5

Oddly though, her accent is slightly posh, iirc, whereas PK and George have pretty working class accents. My takeaway - brains are complicated.

Dorit's certainly is, and probably not in a good way. Then again, maybe she decided she needed to start sounding like PK once she married him, and is failing. Miserably.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, Jel said:

I am sorry about your, Mom, Walnut Queen.  But glad she got good hospice care though.

Pop, chocolate bar, hydro, loonie, the CBC, Swiss Chalet, White Spot, bilingual labeling packaging, our refusal to abolish the letter U! Never forget, eh.

Only outside of the USA would a healthcare system give a dying old destitute lady comfort and wonderful food.  I NEED to renew my Canadian passport, no matter how many cans of catfood it costs.

You did NOT invoke the White Spot!!!! Because one of my favorite memories is the drive-in, late at nite with Mum, avoiding abusiveness.  The tray reached across our car windows, and we enjoyed coffee and hot apple pie with ice cream.  The triple O was a luxury we could ill afford.  :-)

Now I'll crawl back into my corner and cry "Oh, Canada".

ETA _ send me a Coffee Crisp and I'll be your bitch forever!  :-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Jel said:

McIntosh Toffee, Co-op Ice cream Bars,

• Love 2

As time has gone on, I find I don't mind Dorit's accent.....much.

I think part of it is that she is very thoughtful before speaking.   She gets that she's not Einstein and not originally from the upper-crust.  Since she wasn't born into any of it, she has to work to stay in it.  She works at using just the right words, at just the right time, and in just the right tone.  I think the accent is to some degree an unintentional byproduct. 

Although, the jury is still out overall.  For me it takes two seasons to get the full gist of a the wives.  Dorit has another year before I feel strongly one way or another.  For now, it appears to me she cares for her husband a great deal, and vice-versa, and both are great parents.  I don't have much bad to say about Dorit at this time.  Not sure why, but I was kind of hoping to dislike her, but I can't. Not yet, anyway.

Interesting to note that season 2 Erica is showing some new colors we haven't seen before.  Comparing the two blond bombshells with rich, older, less handsome men, I'd say Erica has less love and happiness than Dorit.   

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 10
On 3/9/2017 at 4:16 PM, WireWrap said:

Erika didn't just dull her southern accent, she eradicated it. No one would ever think she was born and raised in Atlanta Georgia had they met her in some shop/restaurant L.A. LOL

I agree, Dorit's speech (over enunciating) is similar to Heather Dubrow's. Must be the way upper middle/upper class people from Connecticut talk. LOL 

Very few people born and raised in Atlanta have a detectable southern accent. It's kind of like being born and raised in certain parts of Florida. Someone born and raised in Jacksonville or Pensacola may have a southern accent, but someone who was born and raised in Miami, or Daytona, not so much. Atlanta is the same way. Depending on where you were raised in relation to the perimeter, it's a crapshoot what type of accent you would have, if any.

• Love 5
On 3/8/2017 at 4:12 PM, AndySmith said:

Yeah but it's one thing to adopt a different accent from the country you are in, versus an accent from another country altogether. She might not have ended with a Connecticut accent, but she should have had some type of American accent, at least.

Dorit grew up in the US, so that still doesn't explain where the British-wannabe accent comes from.

Being a born and bred nutmegger, I'm interested in knowing what our CT accent sounds like.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MatildaMoody said:

Very few people born and raised in Atlanta have a detectable southern accent. It's kind of like being born and raised in certain parts of Florida. Someone born and raised in Jacksonville or Pensacola may have a southern accent, but someone who was born and raised in Miami, or Daytona, not so much. Atlanta is the same way. Depending on where you were raised in relation to the perimeter, it's a crapshoot what type of accent you would have, if any.

Well her mother has a strong southern accent and Erika's own southern accent came back a bit when she was there. So I think it is safe to say, she does have a southern accent but makes an effort to quash it when she is not in Georgia with her family.

• Love 3

I live in the South and I was trying to hear Erika's accent sneaking in but I just couldn't. I guess it is all relative to what you're used to.

As for Dorit - she both annoys me and she doesn't.  Sometimes I don't half mind her, other times very much.  I definitely get the sense that how she speaks is totally an affectation, though. 

Edited by lilmarysunshine
  • Love 8
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:12 PM, AndySmith said:

Yeah but it's one thing to adopt a different accent from the country you are in, versus an accent from another country altogether. She might not have ended with a Connecticut accent, but she should have had some type of American accent, at least.

Dorit grew up in the US, so that still doesn't explain where the British-wannabe accent comes from.

Maybe she took the home study course from The Kelly Grant School of Mid- Atlantic Pronunciation.

Grace Kelly completely changed the way she spoke as did Cary Grant. One got rid of her high, nasal Philly accent and the other decided a Cockney accent wasn't going to get him where he wanted to go.  

Yes it can be annoying but there are far more worse things about a person then an affected accent. Sometimes Dorit's accent bugs me sometimes it doesn't. What does bug me just as much is Erica's actual voice. I know she can't do anything about it but for me her voice hits those annoyance nerves.

There are some that choose to affect a local accent or one of a specific social culture and while it can be considered American it still comes off as quite false and quite annoying. Does it really matter as long as they are a decent person?

Edited by Giselle
Because its not only Pi Day but Steak and a BJ Day!
  • Love 10

What does bug me just as much is Erica's actual voice. I know she can't do anything about it but for me her voice hits those annoyance nerves.

Yeah, I find Erika's speaking voice far more unpleasant than Dorit's. I don't even really notice Dorit's accent(s), anymore - it is what it is.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, jaync said:

Yeah, I find Erika's speaking voice far more unpleasant than Dorit's. I don't even really notice Dorit's accent(s), anymore - it is what it is.

She has an awful voice and her manner of speaking sounds phony and affected to me, as if she is trying too hard to sound a certain way. She does not sound genuine at all. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, AndySmith said:

Considering everything else we nitpick about these women, Dorit's super shitty accent is fair game.

Ok you take Dorit and I'll take Eileen. Lets have fun! ;-D

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Snappy said:

Being a born and bred nutmegger, I'm interested in knowing what our CT accent sounds like.

I'm a Connecticutian, and I replace a lot of t's with d's. Water, quarter, and daughter all rhyme with odder (wadder, kwadder, and dodder). I pronounce merry and marry the same as Mary. Like Dorit, I have a glottal stop—buttons, Clinton, and eating sound like buh-inz, Clin-in, and ee-in.

My grandparents both grew up in Middletown (central Connecticut). He sounded like me (and liked the NY Yankees); she was a Boston Red Sox fan who said Gawd for God and Cholly for Charlie. So "Connecticut accents" can vary.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

I'm a Connecticutian, and I replace a lot of t's with d's. Water, quarter, and daughter all rhyme with odder (wadder, kwadder, and dodder). I pronounce merry and marry the same as Mary. Like Dorit, I have a glottal stop—buttons, Clinton, and eating sound like buh-inz, Clin-in, and ee-in.

My grandparents both grew up in Middletown (central Connecticut). He sounded like me (and liked the NY Yankees); she was a Boston Red Sox fan who said Gawd for God and Cholly for Charlie. So "Connecticut accents" can vary.

Okay, now I get it. Being from the home of the glottal stop, New Brit'n, I definitely have that one. I also do the Mary/merry/marry thing. I just never considered us as having "accents".

• Love 3