Type keyword(s) to search

Dorit Kemsley: She's an American, She Was Born in Connecticut!

• Start Topic

I don't see a thread yet for Dorit. Personally, I cannot stand her.  I have not had this kind of immediately bad reaction to a new housewife in a long time. Her accent is insufferable. Her gasps of faux-surprise at all of PK's birthday plans had me rolling my eyes. And something about seeing her receive her $200k Bentley while the news carries stories of Standing Rock, Aleppo and everything else in the world just kind of turned my stomach. The only thing I can say in her favor is at least she is not letting LVP influence her opinions of the other wives at this point.

Oops I misspelled Connecticut in the title thread! Is there a way for me to edit it?

Edited by thewhiteowl
  • Love 9

Oops I misspelled Connecticut in the title thread! Is there a way for me to edit it?

I say keep it as it, for some reason I find it more fitting this way, given her accent.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

I don't see a thread yet for Dorit. Personally, I cannot stand her.  I have not had this kind of immediately bad reaction to a new housewife in a long time. Her accent is insufferable. Her gasps of faux-surprise at all of PK's birthday plans had me rolling my eyes. And something about seeing her receive her $200k Bentley while the news carries stories of Standing Rock, Aleppo and everything else in the world just kind of turned my stomach. The only thing I can say in her favor is at least she is not letting LVP influence her opinions of the other wives at this point.

I think the show does a bit better with women who are bit phony, instead of working actresses who want to discuss decades old domestic violence, as a way to get to know them.  That would be the same working actress who flips over the word affair.

Think of Bentleys and Lamborghinis as really expensive leases.  Easy to get and easy to get out of and then they revert to driving their SUVs.  One thing I like about LVP, she sends the help to pick up her annual new lease vehicle.  No fanfare there. 

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 7

And something about seeing her receive her $200k Bentley while the news carries stories of Standing Rock, Aleppo and everything else in the world just kind of turned my stomach

To be fair, the best thing to do would be to yank this whole franchise off of our TVs, since there is always something going in the world.

• Love 11

I know it's not fair to hold the world's tragedies against Dorit. And I know this is the point of the show. But I guess I feel there is a way to flaunt wealth and there is a way to not flaunt wealth. I can't quite put my finger on the difference between say, Erika, LVP or Yolanda versus that scene with Dorit. Like, there was not even a pretense of humility. There was not even a moment of self-awareness. It played completely on the level of being in love with the material gift, feeling deserving of it and putting stock in it as a symbol of their love. And it was definitely designed to show off. When Harry gave Lisa her car, it actually felt like love. This just felt dirty to me. Kind of like the Dubrows. There is just something inherently grosser to me about some of them more than others.

Edited by PhilMarlowe2
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

I know it's not fair to hold the world's tragedies against Dorit. And I know this is the point of the show. But I guess I feel there is a way to flaunt wealth and there is a way to not flaunt wealth. I can't quite put my finger on the difference between say, Erika, LVP or Yolanda versus that scene with Dorit. Like, there was not even a pretense of humility. There was not even a moment of self-awareness. It played completely on the level of being in love with the material gift, feeling deserving of it and putting stock in it as a symbol of their love. And it was definitely designed to show off. When Harry gave Lisa her car, it actually felt like love. This just felt dirty to me. Kind of like the Dubrows. There is just something inherently grosser to me about some of them more than others.

My only problem with it is that it doesn't feel real. I get the feeling they don't really have all of that money. I get a Taylor/Russell vibe from them - not about the domestic abuse - but about the money part. 

• Love 13
1 minute ago, motorcitymom65 said:

My only problem with it is that it doesn't feel real. I get the feeling they don't really have all of that money. I get a Taylor/Russell vibe from them - not about the domestic abuse - but about the money part. 

See, I think the money is actually real, which is part of what I find gross about it. Like, at least with Taylor and Russell, I could have some form of compassion for them because they were clearly struggling to keep up appearances. And maybe it's just that Dorit seems  to the manner born. For whatever it's worth, women like LVP, Erika, Yolanda and Camille in some way paid their dues. They got out of their little hometowns, they modeled, waitressed, they danced Club MTV, Kyle tap-danced for Big Kathy, there is some sense of having "come up" in the world. Dorit just seems - totally privileged. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

PK, is the male version of Rinna! LOL This is how/what Rinna would do for HH if she could afford it.

• Love 1

I really don't mind if these people paid their dues or not (and by these people, I mean the HWs in general). While there are some success stories of women who made it on their own or worked with their husbands, like Bethany, Lisa V,  Kandi, and Erika, the majority of the wealthier women on this franchise as a whole got that super wealth via marriage more than anything else. And the flaunting of the wealth by Dorit and her husband doesn't seem all that different to the way we've seen wealth flaunted on this show before. Mileage varies, I suppose.

With that said, there has been some online articles that her husband has had some...financial troubles recently, so who knows what their situation really is.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

See, I think the money is actually real, which is part of what I find gross about it. Like, at least with Taylor and Russell, I could have some form of compassion for them because they were clearly struggling to keep up appearances. And maybe it's just that Dorit seems  to the manner born. For whatever it's worth, women like LVP, Erika, Yolanda and Camille in some way paid their dues. They got out of their little hometowns, they modeled, waitressed, they danced Club MTV, Kyle tap-danced for Big Kathy, there is some sense of having "come up" in the world. Dorit just seems - totally privileged. Maybe I'm wrong.

It will be interesting to watch and see what develops.  Since he filed for bankruptcy just 4 years ago, claiming to be broke, I am interested to see how he came to amass such wealth. From what I have read, his income since filing has come from managing Boy George.  Could that gig pay so well? 

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

It will be interesting to watch and see what develops.  Since he filed for bankruptcy just 4 years ago, claiming to be broke, I am interested to see how he came to amass such wealth. From what I have read, his income since filing has come from managing Boy George.  Could that gig pay so well? 

I noticed his BK was a UK bankruptcy and he was denied protection under a Chapter 15 in the US.  Could be UK BKs work differently and he was allowed to retain a great deal of his wealth. 

Dorit must be trusting to have two children with the guy before marrying him-with him already having three kids.  He must manage other clients that aren't on board with him using their names. 

• Love 7

Thanks to growing up in a small Wisconsin town where lutefisk suppers, lefse, and old people's tales of the fjords were commonplace, every time I hear "Dorit" I hear the Norwegian word for "shit" (dritt).

• Love 7

I expected to hate Dorit based upon the season trailer. I'm still somewhat repelled by such pretensions and inanity as the accent and ruminating on how Boy George is "like a sister" or "really fun gay husband" - in such moments, she sounds like Carrie Bradshaw minus the mental instability.

On the whole, though, I've been pleasantly surprised and I am befuddled that her effusive response to her husband's birthday gift was suspect. I'm much more charmed by her appreciatively embracing PK than, say, watching Erika barely conceal her disappointment over the Chagall painting and then rely to the Cartier reveal with but a subtle nuance in her customary stoic was or viewing Shannon Beador lament the necklace and restaurant her spouse picked for her birthday. And, personally and subjectively, I've rarely witnessed an expression of ardor so convincing on this franchise as when PK declared his for her at the birthday party.  

• Love 11

So it has been nagging at me the Dorit adopted speech pattern.  Years ago I had a brother return from living abroad for 10 years and we commented he sounded like Cary Grant.  So we called it his Continental accent.  I knew there was a name for it and it is called a Mid-Atlantic accent.  Apparently, when Hollywood went for silent movies to "talkies" they were trying to cultivate an accent that wasn't regional.  This article describes Kathryn Hepburn, acquiring and eventually losing the acquired accent.  http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/08/the-rise-and-fall-of-katharine-hepburns-fake-accent/278505/  The article has some great old movie clips, since they were black and white, I looked for LVP (kidding).  The call it Mid-Atlantic because it really isn't British or American. 

Although we kind of made fun of my brother behind his back, eventually he told the story of his accent.  Since he obviously worked overseas, he said he had so many interactions with people from different countries whose second language was English.  He didn't want to come off as common (his word for lower class) with his born in California accent so he adopted his speech to more readily blend with those he worked and played.  The accent has somewhat disappeared but we can tell when he comes back from business trips abroad, he slips back into the Mid Atlantic mode.    

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

So it has been nagging at me the Dorit adopted speech pattern.  Years ago I had a brother return from living abroad for 10 years and we commented he sounded like Cary Grant.  So we called it his Continental accent.  I knew there was a name for it and it is called a Mid-Atlantic accent.  Apparently, when Hollywood went for silent movies to "talkies" they were trying to cultivate an accent that wasn't regional.  This article describes Kathryn Hepburn, acquiring and eventually losing the acquired accent.  http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/08/the-rise-and-fall-of-katharine-hepburns-fake-accent/278505/  The article has some great old movie clips, since they were black and white, I looked for LVP (kidding).  The call it Mid-Atlantic because it really isn't British or American. 

Although we kind of made fun of my brother behind his back, eventually he told the story of his accent.  Since he obviously worked overseas, he said he had so many interactions with people from different countries whose second language was English.  He didn't want to come off as common (his word for lower class) with his born in California accent so he adopted his speech to more readily blend with those he worked and played.  The accent has somewhat disappeared but we can tell when he comes back from business trips abroad, he slips back into the Mid Atlantic mode.    

I pick up accents easily and have since I was a young kid. Our parents took us to see My Fair Lady, the play, and I left the theater talking like Liza Doolittle, I was about 9 years old. It is hard to stop, it just happens before I know it even today. We hosted AFS kids and had a girl from down under stay with us and about 3 years later she/entire family came back to visit with us and once again, within a couple of hours I sounded like I was part of their family. Funny thing is, although I am from Western Pa, most people do not guess that when I am out of town.

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

I pick up accents easily and have since I was a young kid. Our parents took us to see My Fair Lady, the play, and I left the theater talking like Liza Doolittle, I was about 9 years old. It is hard to stop, it just happens before I know it even today. We hosted AFS kids and had a girl from down under stay with us and about 3 years later she/entire family came back to visit with us and once again, within a couple of hours I sounded like I was part of their family. Funny thing is, although I am from Western Pa, most people do not guess that when I am out of town.

Who hasn't been around their Canadian relatives or friends and ended up saying, "eh", at the end of a sentence.  To me, it is like a woman, say Eileen, who decided she looked better with blonde hair, even though her hair is totally grey now  and remarkably her eyebrows are very, very dark.  Dorit apparently decided she liked the accent and terms of the folks abroad and feels like it suits her.  I draw the line when someone says to a 14 year old in Yuma, Az,, "where is the loo?", the kid gives a quizzical look and that someone with responds with WC or water closet, when they know damn well the word bathroom works.  Haven't seen it from Dorit.

I have noticed on the HGTV network, which has a lot of shows produced in Canada, the hosts do not use "eh", or other charming Canadian terms  Another attempt to disguise the regionality of where the show takes place.

• Love 2
On December 23, 2016 at 1:17 PM, zoeysmom said:

Who hasn't been around their Canadian relatives or friends and ended up saying, "eh", at the end of a sentence.  To me, it is like a woman, say Eileen, who decided she looked better with blonde hair, even though her hair is totally grey now  and remarkably her eyebrows are very, very dark.  Dorit apparently decided she liked the accent and terms of the folks abroad and feels like it suits her.  I draw the line when someone says to a 14 year old in Yuma, Az,, "where is the loo?", the kid gives a quizzical look and that someone with responds with WC or water closet, when they know damn well the word bathroom works.  Haven't seen it from Dorit.

I have noticed on the HGTV network, which has a lot of shows produced in Canada, the hosts do not use "eh", or other charming Canadian terms  Another attempt to disguise the regionality of where the show takes place.

But the Canadians usually out themselves when they use words with "ou".  I usually catch on when they say "aboot".   

• Love 7
On 12/23/2016 at 8:34 AM, zoeysmom said:

I can't give Dorit a hard time about her accent for similar reasons. I also tend to adopt the speech pattern of wherever I am living, know three other languages besides English (Hebrew, German, Russian) and am able to speak these languages without sounding too "American".  For me I think it happens from being immersed in a culture--you hear it spoken all day, it's on television, radio, etc. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Runnergirl said:

I can't give Dorit a hard time about her accent for similar reasons. I also tend to adopt the speech pattern of wherever I am living, know three other languages besides English (Hebrew, German, Russian) and am able to speak these languages without sounding too "American".  For me I think it happens from being immersed in a culture--you hear it spoken all day, it's on television, radio, etc. 

But here is my question about this - let's say Dorit does quickly adopt accents wherever she goes. If that were the case, wouldn't she re-develop her natural-born American accent once she is back in the States? Why is it that she lost her actual native accent while abroad, but then once she's back in her actual country of origin, the overlay accents actively persist? It seems counter-intuitive to me.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

But here is my question about this - let's say Dorit does quickly adopt accents wherever she goes. If that were the case, wouldn't she re-develop her natural-born American accent once she is back in the States? Why is it that she lost her actual native accent while abroad, but then once she's back in her actual country of origin, the overlay accents actively persist? It seems counter-intuitive to me.

Good question, and I can only speculate as to why. It could be she simply doesn't want to. Whether this is a conscious or sub-conscious choice, who knows. When one grows up with something, maybe they're kinda "over" it. I grew up in the midwest in the country and when I visit home, I do not re-acquire my original accent, regardless of how long I am there. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

Because she's a fake?

• Love 15

Why is it that she lost her actual native accent while abroad, but then once she's back in her actual country of origin, the overlay accents actively persist?

I reckon it could be because she spends most of her time around a person with a British accent.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

Well, she still hears the British accent all the time, day in and day out, she is married to PK (British) and Boy George (also British) stays/lives with them when he is in town. Maybe when she is at her parents home, without PK, her normal native accent comes back.

• Love 6

Now just to be a contrarian, Mauricio came to the US when he was a small child, and in fact lived in bel Air and went to little Portia's school.  Why does he have an accent?  I mean I think he probably needs his adenoids removed but I would think after being educated here in the US the accent would disappear.

24 minutes ago, jaync said:

I reckon it could be because she spends most of her time around a person with a British accent.

And don't forget Boy George, LVP and Ken Todd.

• Love 10
On 12/18/2016 at 11:55 AM, PhilMarlowe2 said:

To ME, it is because Dorit and PK most likely cannot afford that car if reports about their finances are true.  I think they are fronting a lifestyle they used to be able to afford and the stream of credit has not dried up *yet*.  I read something how PK, Dorit, and George wanted their own reality show so to me they look like they are fauxny.  The fake accent makes me slappy and I would like them to exit stage left.

• Love 7

I don't like her.  I think she's fake and phony.  She doesn't have a pleasant personality.  PLEASE, please be a one and done!!!  There 1,00000 of potential RH in BH area that would be such a better addition!!

• Love 4
On 12/29/2016 at 2:37 PM, zoeysmom said:

Now just to be a contrarian, Mauricio came to the US when he was a small child, and in fact lived in bel Air and went to little Portia's school.  Why does he have an accent?  I mean I think he probably needs his adenoids removed but I would think after being educated here in the US the accent would disappear.

And don't forget Boy George, LVP and Ken Todd.

I wonder if it's because Spanish is his native language? Maybe his parents spoke Spanish at home. My mother-in-law is French Canadian and has been in the U.S for at least 50 years and very rarely speaks French and she still speaks with an accent.

Dorit on the other hand....

• Love 4
20 hours ago, booboopbedoo said:

Born and raised a Canuck and do not say "eh" at the end of a sentance

0f239ae41ef792c953442ed7724f43a7.jpg

A coworker's parents were Canadian-born but she was born & raised here.  She rhymes "sorry" with "story" and says "borrow' like "bore-oh."  I'd always say, 'what was that, eh?" and she'd laugh (thank God she had a sense of humor, that was probably really tiring, now that I think about it...)

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 3:12 PM, jaync said:

Dorit's affected accent sounds nothing like PK's, IMO.  His is more working class, and her fake accent is striving for posh.

• Love 2

Not since Carlton have I had such an immediate detest for a HW. The ridiculous accent, the faux parenting, the creepy af husband who couldn't get enough of Erica's snatch, the silly name-dropping, all of it. From where did this little climber from Connecticut even emerge, anyway? What was she doing before PK?

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, wheresmypizza said:

Not since Carlton have I had such an immediate detest for a HW. The ridiculous accent, the faux parenting, the creepy af husband who couldn't get enough of Erica's snatch, the silly name-dropping, all of it. From where did this little climber from Connecticut even emerge, anyway? What was she doing before PK?

Fashion.

• Love 1

Okay. (Thanks, biakbiak)...

This somehow makes me loathe her more. She had a legit hot ass career. She looks like she actually has some sophistication and background. So why tf does she comes across as a pretentious, social-climbing ditz who just fell off the turnip truck?

Spoiler

• Love 2

I understand I live a mundane life compared to RH standards. But this seems odd to me: newly married, new parents with young kids, with Boy George as a roommate.

3: Her and her husband Paul Kemsley (PK) met in a bar in NYC and married in 2015. Keep in mind their relationship is barely older than their two-year-old son.

6: Her husband is a talent manager and manages Boy George who presently lives with the couple.

http://okhereisthesituation.com/2016/12/10-things-know-dorit-kemsley/

• Love 1

In her TH, I kept thinking of those Big Eye paintings of the 70's (Keane maybe?)  

If hes getting 15% of Boy George's income, why aren't they living in Compton. 

Seriously, he has to have other talents under his agency.

Edited by This2getsold
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Has there ever been a husband who came in new and had this level of coverage?  He's surpassing Ken.  I may start hitting the FF button with this guy, which is something I've never done. 

Peter, Atl., had/has this kind of coverage.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Has there ever been a husband who came in new and had this level of coverage?  He's surpassing Ken.  I may start hitting the FF button with this guy, which is something I've never done. 

Joe Gorga from New Jersey, but only because he joined the cast to get back at his sister. I also think Jim Marchese might have had a lot of coverage too.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

Regarding Boy George, isn't he there just because of the filming of the Celebrity Apprentice ? The timing is correct, so I guess that's the reason why he's there "now"

No because then Kyle wouldn't be able to film because they were on the same season.

• Love 1