Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E20: You Gotta Have Heart

• Start Topic

I actually do remember Jade(?) from back in the day or, more specifically, that song "Every Day of the Week".  Whether it was from this show or the radio or what, I don't recall.

It is crazy that she doesn't just aim her amazing boobs at literally any guy (or girl) on the CU campus instead of pursuing Ray, but I do enjoy Val getting her scheming bad girl on.

• Love 1

My dad (yes, MY DAD) LOVED Jade's song "Don't Walk Away," because it has a good drum and bass beat. It is a good 90's R&B song.
Was Donna against all sexual activity? Because damn you can do some hand and mouth stuff. Get yours, Donna. I agree they should have been having that discussion before getting naked and under the covers. Like, "Just FYI, if you start complaining out blue balls I will gladly give you a hand job."

14 minutes ago, kfree9 said:

My dad (yes, MY DAD) LOVED Jade's song "Don't Walk Away," because it has a good drum and bass beat. It is a good 90's R&B song.
Was Donna against all sexual activity? Because damn you can do some hand and mouth stuff. Get yours, Donna. I agree they should have been having that discussion before getting naked and under the covers. Like, "Just FYI, if you start complaining out blue balls I will gladly give you a hand job."

I had LOTS of friends who were "technically" virgins and to quote Dione from Clueless "[their men] were satisfied".  Personally I hated how they tried to act so high and mighty about it.  Donna probably would have a better time if they did other stuff because the guy couldn't rush through that.  Not to get too graphic, but I think most guys/girls would be fine with "everything else". 

I hate that it's this point that makes men cheat on Donna.  People cheat for so many reasons.  As much as a I hate them, I think Brandon/Kelly is an example of how a relationship starts with two people who aren't getting all their needs met in a current relationship, even if sex is happening.

I hope most of the PPAD is skipped. I always hated it.  Most of the bands were ones that weren't my type and any bands that I did like, I was annoyed that The Gang may have liked them too.  It was a lose-lose for me.

• Love 2

I remember this show making Adrienne seem just insufferable, and pinning the blame squarely on her being from New York. This is a thing with Aaron Spelling shows. Remember Jill, who couldn't even look at a bagel that is not from New york? And also on Melrose Place, Billy almost moves to New York and is lame about it, and Jo is from there and makes a point of being like "we don't do things like this in New York". It's as if Aaron Spelling has never actually been to New York and got all of his information from some episode of Leave it to Beaver when the dad goes to New York for business.

5 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

I had LOTS of friends who were "technically" virgins and to quote Dione from Clueless "[their men] were satisfied". 

The pc term is hymenally-challenged :-)

1 hour ago, ZeroDiscipline said:

I remember this show making Adrienne seem just insufferable, and pinning the blame squarely on her being from New York. This is a thing with Aaron Spelling shows. Remember Jill, who couldn't even look at a bagel that is not from New york? And also on Melrose Place, Billy almost moves to New York and is lame about it, and Jo is from there and makes a point of being like "we don't do things like this in New York". It's as if Aaron Spelling has never actually been to New York and got all of his information from some episode of Leave it to Beaver when the dad goes to New York for business.

I never thought about this, but I think you're right. Aaron Spelling totally had beef with the city of New York. But of course you'll have a bad impression of New York if you only focus on the pimps and C.H.U.D.s. Apparently there are no blonde women from New York, either; only high-strung brunettes.

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Love 1

THANK YOU for drawing everyone's attention to one of my all-time favorite extras, Overly Enthusiastic Dad Sweater Guy. He is best at extra. I *think* he comes back for the Blind Boys of Alabama show in a later season?

Cindy's entire ensemble is one hundred percent available on Asos right now, and I would probably wear it. :/

• Love 4

Every screen cap and gif of Val this season is hot af. She looks like she should be in the George Michael Freedom '90 video. 

I like Dylan in suits it makes his physique look less waspish and more like a gen x Incabod Crane. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Molly Cule said:

THANK YOU for drawing everyone's attention to one of my all-time favorite extras, Overly Enthusiastic Dad Sweater Guy. He is best at extra. I *think* he comes back for the Blind Boys of Alabama show in a later season?

Cindy's entire ensemble is one hundred percent available on Asos right now, and I would probably wear it. :/

Dad Sweater Guy dancing to Jade was hilarious. 

Also the best part was that Walter Chang was in this episode. Him and Silverado grooving to Jade. David Silver and Walter Chang should have been a couple of episodes like Lois Lane and Jimmy Olson. 

Wasn't a nice sight seeing Donna and Ray in bed. It was pretty gross. 

• Love 1

Val made some eyes at Ray in the scenes that have been cut. So if they weren't cut they would make some sense. But they cut those scenes, so yeah. 

Valerie and her 'evil' plans are like one of the best absurd things on the show until the 2nd Ginger incident. 

• Love 1

Val made some eyes at Ray in the scenes that have been cut. So if they weren't cut they would make some sense. But they cut those scenes, so yeah.

This was something about Val I didn't really like.  Donna always seemed like she was nice to Val, so I didn't really get why Val would go after Ray.  It's not like Ray is some great catch, and it just seems kind of nasty on her part.  I'd much rather see Val do something to drive Kelly bonkers like have her start doing Finley and somehow be named Queen of the New Evolution with Kelly forced to worship at her feet. 

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, SoupThrower said:

Valerie and her 'evil' plans are like one of the best absurd things on the show until the 2nd Ginger incident. 

Word.  And hell, let's not sell the first Ginger incident short!  Come to us, Amber from "Clueless"!

• Love 1

Man, I totally had the Clare bangs from like 96-99. Terrible decision and I curse everyone I knew during that time frame that didn't say something to me. I did not have the accompanying helmet head of short layers though.

As a matter of fact, there are a lot of hair layers throughout these VA. Andrea, Kelly, Peter. Only Val had good hair layers.

Could someone refresh me on the Ginger incident?  I thought one was theft and the other was sleeping with David as a  prize?

I want to say that Val has Ginger visiting her in Beverly Hills, and Ginger steals some things from the gang.  In the gang's view, Val finds out what Ginger is doing, and exposes her, making her a hero to the gang.  It then comes out that Val and Ginger set the whole thing up so Val could come out looking good.  Ginger then returns later in the season, threatens to expose Val to the gang and wants to sex up David (who is dating Val) in return for keeping quiet.    

• Love 1

Speaking of hair, Andrea certainly has a thing for the floof. Peter may not quite have the bishop loaf of Gil Myers but his hair is the floofy equal of that RA she lost her virginity to. She probably looks at Jesse's balding head some nights and just cries (for that and many other reasons...)

• Love 8
15 hours ago, kfree9 said:

Man, I totally had the Clare bangs from like 96-99. Terrible decision and I curse everyone I knew during that time frame that didn't say something to me. I did not have the accompanying helmet head of short layers though.

Was this a Betty Page-inspired decision? 

21 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I want to say that Val has Ginger visiting her in Beverly Hills, and Ginger steals some things from the gang.  In the gang's view, Val finds out what Ginger is doing, and exposes her, making her a hero to the gang.  It then comes out that Val and Ginger set the whole thing up so Val could come out looking good.  Ginger then returns later in the season, threatens to expose Val to the gang and wants to sex up David (who is dating Val) in return for keeping quiet.    

And to add. Val told the plan to David and he really didn't care about her looking like a hero. It was either $50000 or sleeping with David who was confused why Ginger would want to doink him. So in short Val stuffed up and really stuffed up.

28 minutes ago, CarmenMacCodykins said:

The whole Ahhhndrea/Floofy thing- they cut a scene while they're drinking coffee with Jesse and Adrienne where Nana actually has the fantasy about being Fred and Ginger and they dance together. Does anyone else remember that?

Yeah. She has some weird fantasies. Also how the hell did Floofy even get through to her at the telethon?

On 12/17/2016 at 2:05 AM, Maherjunkie said:

While dating Colin?

Yeah, Kelly and Colin are dating and he's come back to LA with her and then it's revealed that Colin and Valerie went on some teen tour or something when they were kids and, obviously, Kelly has cat butt face about it.

On 12/16/2016 at 8:33 AM, kfree9 said:

A regular on our local R&B oldies station.  I turn it way up every time I hear it.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 7:04 PM, txhorns79 said:

This was something about Val I didn't really like.  Donna always seemed like she was nice to Val, so I didn't really get why Val would go after Ray.  It's not like Ray is some great catch, and it just seems kind of nasty on her part.  I'd much rather see Val do something to drive Kelly bonkers like have her start doing Finley and somehow be named Queen of the New Evolution with Kelly forced to worship at her feet. 

Now this is assuming the writers had any sort of vision, but maybe Val has a secret need to sabotage any healthy female friendships?  But she was always fine with Clare and Susan/Tracey.  I think mostly it was lazy writing...trying to make Val the "Amanda" who just screwed everyone. 

It does feel like no one is single for very long on the show. 

A couple of things: why can't the guys dating Donna just "take care of themselves"?  It reminds me of when my husband and I took this engagement prep in order to get married in the Catholic church.  They had these couples of various ages who came to talk to us.  One of the really old ones (married in the 50's I think) mentioned of how when the wife is pregnant, try not to see a hooker if you can avoid it.  This is the same mentality... just DIY!!!

I was sorta into the floof in college too.  Almost all guys I dated had long-ish hair, sometimes in a pony tail with the sides shaved (WTF?)

• Love 2

Brandon tries to hold back Finley and the Finleyheads by sending Bray Rays through his hand.

That line, along with the visual cap, really made me laugh.

Val does look amazing in these recaps.  I always remember that.

Good lord, does Luke Perry really look old in that one gif of him at the PPAD.

When is that horrible Real World spoof episode coming up?

On 12/17/2016 at 2:22 PM, CarmenMacCodykins said:

The whole Ahhhndrea/Floofy thing- they cut a scene while they're drinking coffee with Jesse and Adrienne where Nana actually has the fantasy about being Fred and Ginger and they dance together. Does anyone else remember that?

oh god I both want to see that and neeeeeeever want to see that.

• Love 1
On 12/16/2016 at 9:08 PM, Kristen said:

I also completely blocked Jade out from my memory, so I YouTubed them, and I actually remember liking what was probably their one song: https://youtu.be/wZ9HG0nGe-g

They had more. They weren't crossover artists but their R&B stuff was pretty well loved.

Speaking of Jade, I know Aaron Spelling was against IR relationships for the most part (save Andrea and Brandon *sort of*) but to have a horndog like Steve not even attempt to hit on the girls stretched credibility for me. 

Ray was like a ball of yarn to Valerie's kitty cat. I get that she loves the chase but going after Donna's guy was so rude. I do love when she goes after Brandon though.

Count me in as one who hates telethons but I think the cult stuff makes me not hate this episode.

Speaking of Jade, I know Aaron Spelling was against IR relationships for the most part (save Andrea and Brandon *sort of*) but to have a horndog like Steve not even attempt to hit on the girls stretched credibility for me. 

How did you come by this nugget?

10 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

How did you come by this nugget?

According to Charles Rosin, Aaron ordered Cress Williams (D'Shawn) written off the show when he realized the writers were setting the groundwork for a Donnna/D'Shawn hookup. I don't know if this means he didn't want IR  relationships in the show, but he clearly didn't want to see his princess in one.

Edited by Picture It. Sicily
Clarification
  • Love 1

Oh god, you guys made it to the Real World episode?!

"Think I'm getting the hang of playing someone obnoxious" - Brandon with a soul patch.

Who's trolling us, the writers or Jason Priestley? 

Edited by Ions Earring
  • Love 1

That's fucked up. Donna and Tori should be so lucky - Cress Williams is still hot af to this day and was a strong actor playing a character w an intriguing backstory. I know I would have found him becoming a lead on the show and carrying story more interesting and pleasant to watch than the aggressively insipid Brandon presidential shit or anything involving that unattractive tightass Jesse. 

• Love 5

I know this has nothing to do with this particular episode , but I'm watching the episode right after Dylan and Kelly tell Brenda that they're together .. and literally the next episode Brenda is on speaking terms with Kelly again . This group of friends is the worst . Kelly cheats with Dylan , Dylan cheats with Kelly ,  Kelly cheats with Brandon , Brandon cheats on Kelly , Kelly cheats some more on everyone .. and yet the next episode everything is always good and dandy . In what world are these people living in ? And is it me or from the beginning right when Kelly And Dylan get together , Dylan seems so disinterested and it goes throughout their entire relationship .. soulmates ? I think not 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

And is it me or from the beginning right when Kelly And Dylan get together , Dylan seems so disinterested and it goes throughout their entire relationship .. soulmates ? I think not 

I don't even remember Dylan telling Kelly "I love you" either.  He was always saying those words to Brenda.  I was taken aback during the Christmas episode where the girls confront him about being friends before giving him the ultimatum and he says, "I think I love you both."  Seriously?  Really?  When did he fall in love with Kelly?  Lust I get, but these deep-rooted feelings just a few weeks after breaking up with Brenda seemed to come out of nowhere and never develop beyond their contrived "soulmate" shtick because they both had crappy upbringings. 

15 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I know this has nothing to do with this particular episode , but I'm watching the episode right after Dylan and Kelly tell Brenda that they're together .. and literally the next episode Brenda is on speaking terms with Kelly again . This group of friends is the worst . Kelly cheats with Dylan , Dylan cheats with Kelly ,  Kelly cheats with Brandon , Brandon cheats on Kelly , Kelly cheats some more on everyone .. and yet the next episode everything is always good and dandy . In what world are these people living in ? And is it me or from the beginning right when Kelly And Dylan get together , Dylan seems so disinterested and it goes throughout their entire relationship .. soulmates ? I think not 

Welcome to television circa the 1990s.  Even doing about 36 episodes a season, the conflict between Brenda and Kelly had to be resolved in one episode.  It's ridiculous.

The gang was so incestuous with their little click.  They went to school as a click and graduated as a click, rarely going outside of it for any long period of time.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3
On 1/6/2017 at 1:49 PM, benteen said:

Welcome to television circa the 1990s.  Even doing about 36 episodes a season, the conflict between Brenda and Kelly had to be resolved in one episode.  It's ridiculous.

The gang was so incestuous with their little click.  They went to school as a click and graduated as a click, rarely going outside of it for any long period of time.

Yea and even when Kelly and Brenda made up , Kelly always seemed mad at Brenda .. shouldn't she be kissing the ground Brenda walks on for what she did ? 

Its just nauseating that every guy in the group , including her brother David has been obsessed with Kelly . Sure she's a goddess next to Donna but Val and Gina blow her out of the water 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Its just nauseating that every guy in the group , including her brother David has been obsessed with Kelly . Sure she's a goddess next to Donna but Val and Gina blow her out of the water 

Yes, but Kelly is Blonde! and "Baywatch" and Hugh Hefner have taught us that that is the most important component of beauty.

• Love 1