Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Tantrums and Titles

57 minutes ago, kassa said:

I don't think Julie's throwing her title around so much because SHE feels superior about it. I think she just knows it's a very effective weapon for this particular person who has gone out of her way to be nasty and unsupportive.

Oh, I do think she's throwing the title around. She's from Sugar Grove, Illinois, which is an outlying Chicago suburb so far out and in the middle of cornfields that to think she went from there to being the Lady Sandwich is a head spinner. Sugar Grove is not on the list of aspirational places to live in the area, so yeah. I think she's impressed with herself and her title. It would almost seem like a fairytale, except for the fact that I'm pretty convinced, by the looks of her and from her instagramming "stay positive" messages constantly, that Julie's new life is really more nightmare than dream come true. 

Caroline S will always be more posh than Julie could ever be. And she could probably buy her own Mapperton if she wanted to, but she went new and modern in her housing, as she's most likely too well aware of what life is like in those old piles of brick. Plus, she's married to Cem. I don't think there is anything about Julie's life that she is jealous of. 

For a good example of an American woman who married into a title and seems to be quite comfortable in her role, check out Charles, the Earl of Spencer's (Diana's brother) latest wife Karen Villeneuve, who is taking over Althorp House, a property of greater historical significance and more famous than Mapperton will ever be. I saw a segment on her on 60 Minutes and she was aware of what she was taking on, but full of grace about it and charming and beautiful and highly impressive. Actually, Julie should see it. It might give her some perspective.

• Love 6

I've always heard that the servants of nobility are even snobbier than the nobility themselves.  I can't fathom the cook whining about making a pudding that no one ate, and how it was a waste of her time.  She's paid for that time, I imagine.  It would be like a maid complaining about cleaning the rooms that are never used in a mansion.   And those insufferable judgmental women in the gift shop .......  That shop probably loses money because these ladies silently glare at tourists.

I'm glad Stanbury was mostly absent.  I can't imagine her reaction to drinking with the butler and hobnobbing with the boat captain.  For some reason I think her servants aren't allowed to make eye contact with her. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Regardless of who I like or don't like the list of "Rules" was just rude and NOT a gracious hostess! A good hostess makes her guests feel Welcome and makes arrangements for special things like a gluten allergy or people who smoke. I would have been pissed if I went to someones house and they rounded me up like a class of 10 year olds and told me what I COULDN'T do! Someone send that woman a copy of Emily Post so she can learn how to be a hostess not a bitch.

• Love 8

Maybe Caroline's Gift Library failed because she felt suffocated and couldn't abide by the rules of economics. You know, supply and demand, price shift, etc. 

How does the poor thing survive this world that has so many rules. (Sob)

• Love 19

Why didn't Caroline F hire Julie to teach their yoga class?  She's never had fish & chips? I thought that's basically a 'welcome to England' gift given to every visitor. LOL 

I thought Luke said the gift shop made more money than the year before.  

If Sophie's ex didn't want to be portrayed as a douchebag, maybe he should've spent more than a couple of hours with his children. Most of which was spent on his phone anyway. Although I don't blame him for blowing off Caroline F when she asked him to intervene with his sister. Most men wouldn't want to be involved in squabbles between women.

People in England are very well aware of the class structure even if it's antiquated. Mapperton may not be as famous as some of the other homes of the nobility, but it still requires the same attention to detail so Julie's feeling that burden. She's right because if she messes up, it'll be blamed on her being an American who should've stayed on the other side of the pond.  

If Marissa wasn't expected at the Hampton's party anyway, she should've stayed home with the baby while Matt took the boys. 

In some ways I don't fault Sour Stanbury for feeling betrayed by Sophie and Adela. Maybe Adela's always been able to be 'real' with Caroline, but there's a difference between that and appearing disloyal to her within a group of friends. Caroline expected Adela and Sophie to have her back and not only didn't that happen, but they chose their new friends over her. Instead of acting disappointed though, she was a raging bitch and that's where she lost points. It seems as if she realizes they're not going to miss her when she moves to Dubai, so she's acting like she's glad to be leaving. 

Juliet is such a non-entity so that's all I'm mentioning about her.  

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Feline Goddess said:

I thought Luke said the gift shop made more money than the year before.  

It had more sales than the year before but they spent more money than they normally do on merchandise so they ended up losing money.

• Love 1

I'm finding this season nearly impossible to watch.  Stanbury is nastier than ever.  But her non-stop sneering & nastiness isn't even fun to watch.  Why is Luke there?  Sure, he's a looker.  But if he's only there to serve as her gay accessory, to sneer & say nasty shit about everyone near her to?  That is beyond annoying.

I couldn't get thru this ep -- even on mute.  I can't stand Sophie.  I don't care about Fleming or the new blonde.  I have no patience for Juliet's bullshit anymore.  Despite Julie's insistence this season of how strong she is, I ain't buying it.  She still looks jittery, miserable & on the verge of a breakdown.  And she still seems scared shitless of Stanbury.  Whatever.  If her life sucks, that's her prob.  I don't care.  

Also have absolutely no interest in Marissa or her boring fug husb, so why would I care about his mother?  I don't.  What a snooze.  I can't keep track of what the latest trivial nonsense & crap these broads are fighting about.  There's too much yelling & screaming going on now for me.  Hate it.  The scenery is great, but even on mute (so I didn't have to listen to all the yelling & screaming), I still lost interest after a few minutes.

Btw, the ratings really, really stink this season.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 5
On 2016-12-21 at 0:09 AM, izabella said:

I'm having a hard time believing Caroline's surly, snarly anger and aggression is about being forced to follow rules in boarding school.  I think rules are such a hot button for her right now because of this move to Dubai.  I think it's either the marriage "rules" that are forcing her to move with her husband, or the United Arab Emirates laws and rules she will be forced to follow in Dubai, or both, are why she is in such high anxiety and rebellion mode.

I agree. 

Why is Stansbury moving to Dubai.

Wow, so if Stanbury is not gonna be in London & and the ratings are terrible, does that mean the end of this show?  I still like the scenery.  If they eliminated the yelling & screaming & cast some more fun Brits who are actually rich, it could be a good show.  

They gotta get rid of Fleming & the new blonde.  They add zippo.  I kinda like seeing the Brits (whether it's Stanbury or whoever -- except Sophie cuz I can't stand her) rip on the idiot Americans on the show.  It's part of what made this show fun to watch.  Stanbury won't be easy to replace.  Sophie can't be gone quick enough for me.

The commercial for next ep is just yelling & screaming.  Ugh, not for me.

On 12/21/2016 at 8:49 AM, TheFinalRose said:

I'm not sure that Caroline S. is pissed that she's off to Dubai; I think it is more "I got Adela and Sophie roles on this show and how dare they turn around and throw me under the bus or challenge me when the cameras are rolling." I think that's pure betrayal she's feeling and she can't control it.

I think this is a big one of why Caroline S is being a pill. Reasons more below. None of which I blame her for (I'd be a mess if this was my life) but she's displacing disappointment and fear into just being mean. Other reasons from my armchair:

- She's afraid/nervous to go to Dubai (whether because of the new culture, rules or being herself etc.) - even if you're well traveled, moving to a different country is a big deal.

- She's worried to go to Dubai because she thinks no one will miss her in London (and she's making this true in some ways)

- She's worried to go to Dubai because she'll have to make new friends and it's not easy to make close ones

- She's disappointed at the loss/failure of her company

- She's unsatisfied at the more typical "housewife" role she has now that she's not working

- She's upset at the divorce of Sophie and her brother and she's taking it out on Sophie

All together that's a lot.  And her personality which is that she's not good at showing weakness or being alone, and there we have it. Lashing out and tantrums.

Edited by Refresh
edited to change cat on laptop typo
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, Refresh said:
On 12/21/2016 at 11:49 AM, TheFinalRose said:

I'm not sure that Caroline S. is pissed that she's off to Dubai; I think it is more "I got Adela and Sophie roles on this show and how dare they turn around and throw me under the bus or challenge me when the cameras are rolling." I think that's pure betrayal she's feeling and she can't control it.

I think this is a big one of why Caroline S is being a pill. Reasons more below. None of which I blame her for (I'd be a mess if this was my life) but she's displacing disappointment and fear into just being mean. Other reasons from my armchair:

- She's afraid/nervous to go to Dubai (whether because of the new culture, rules or being herself etc.) - even if you're well traveled, moving to a different country is a big deal.

- She's worried to go to Dubai because she thinks no one will miss her in London (and she's making this true in some ways)

- She's worried to go to Dubai because she'll have to make new friends and it's not easy to make close ones

- She's disappointed at the loss/failure of her company

- She's unsatisfied at the more typical "housewife" role she has now that she's not working

- She's upset at the divorce of Sophie and her brother and she's taking it out on Sophie

All together that's a lot.  And her personality which is that she's not good at showing weakness or being alone, and there we have it. Lashing out and tantrums.

You have some good points, except:

Stanbury was a stealth bitch:

- Last season before she knew she was moving to Dubai

- Before the failure of her company

- Before Sophie and her brother got divorced

Her personality really hasn't changed from season to season. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

You have some good points, except:

Stanbury was a stealth bitch:

- Last season before she knew she was moving to Dubai

- Before the failure of her company

- Before Sophie and her brother got divorced

Her personality really hasn't changed from season to season. 

She used to have more humour and to be self deprecating at times, which made her more fun to watch.

• Love 5
On 12/21/2016 at 7:21 AM, bichonblitz said:

She cracked me up when she said there was no way she was going to leave the dinner from hell because she was enjoying the delicious food too much, then the camera shows her stuffing her face! 

I don't mean this in a cruel way but I sometimes wonder if there's something off with Flemming. She has that dreamy look about her that sometimes seems fake or maybe she's stoned all the time. She's so hilariously passionate about the most asinine things. Cracks me up!

Even though she's a real bitch this year, I still love Stanbury. She keeps things interesting and even though I would never be her friend, it's fun to watch her play the victim while her makeup artist chauffeurs her around the countryside. It's far more enjoyable than watching Julie fret about Mapperton. If we could just replace all of her panic with scenic shots of Mapperton I might come around.

Juliet and Marissa bring nothing to the show, except to round out the American quota. I have some sympathy for Marissa's situation but I don't watch this show for her, and definitely not to see her nursing the baby and moaning about leaving her infant home while she jets across the pond. I'm really glad Adela seems to have taken their place because she's wonderful and I love her. I'll be happy if she takes the queen bee position from Stanbury.

• Love 2