Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Episode 5

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Very similar problem to that of Westworld. When nothing can be taken as real--when everything can be taken as a person's faulty memory (or a robot's false memory)--there's no there there.

Even moments that appear to have corroboration between two different characters' POVs--for instance, that Helen saw Brendan Fraser--aren't necessarily real. Hey, maybe in an amazing coincidence, Helen and Noah both cast the same guy in their delusions! OK, I admit that's a stretch. But the show seems closer to that territory than it once did.

20 hours ago, Bcharmer said:

Yes, I also now hate the pointless POVs. That novelty has worn off, for me. If nothing we see is the absolute truth, then the differing POVs are worthless, unless playing "spot the differences" is your idea of a good time. The writers can be sloppy about any detail, and justify it by saying, "Well, that was just so-and-so's point of view, and memories are flawed."  Ugh.  Sorry, but I need SOME truth. At this point, I struggle to find anyone or anything to like. 

Thanks for the comparison to Westworld. I gave up on that one after only a few episodes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Snewtsie said:

Thank you- this was really bothering me, too.  Like you point out, they were engaged the night Scotty died and she told him Joanie was not his child.  It's unclear if they were married sometime between that night and the trial ...or between his courtroom 'outburst' confession and being sent to prison.  Unlikely she would have married him after his confession, since she would feel he did that more to protect Helen than her ...so I am guessing they were married sometime after Scotty's death and before his trial began.  But the lack of mention of their wedding details has really bugged me.  Since he already knew Joannie was not his child, it seems weird to me they would have gotten married at all.  He had been conflicted about the way he felt about her (hesitating to tell her his divorce was final, for example, and wishing to go to France for 2 years so he could focus on writing his big book about 'great men'), and we know he wasn't happy to learn Joannie was Cole's kid... so it seems like a unlikely twist he would decided they should get married.

I'm only speculating, but I think they got married before Noah's trial to avoid having Alison testify against him.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I'm only speculating, but I think they got married before Noah's trial to avoid having Alison testify against him.

That was exactly my speculation after last season's finale. Because with everything that happened that season, coupled with Joanie not being his and Alison lying about it, I refused to believe that these two got happily married because they were so in love.

• Love 5

I just remembered a scene from last season, though I don't remember whose POV it was: when Helen brings in Gottlief, the lawyer that she's paying for, to represent Noah, Alison protests to the effect of "I'm his wife, any changes in his legal representation have to go through me". So Noah and Alison were definitely married by the time of the trial.

• Love 3

I was totally bored by Alison and Noah walking down memory lane.  Sorry, not sorry.  

The only thing I am surprised at is the show didn't have Noah overhear that Alison slept with Cole.  I thought for sure that would happen.

Alison once again sleeps with both Cole and Noah.  Please show.  Please don't do...who's the baby daddy round two!!!!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, shelley1005 said:

The only thing I am surprised at is the show didn't have Noah overhear that Alison slept with Cole.  I thought for sure that would happen.

Me too... especially since he could evidently hear enough to tell when Cole left, since he came back inside as soon as Cole walked out the front door. 

• Love 6

Did Allison sleep with both men within the same day, within 24 hours?

She walks out of bed with Cole, talks to Luisa outside, then rides her bike when she encounters Noah, then agrees to go to Block Island where she eventually sleeps with Noah.

Did she shower in between?

Robert Dufrene would consider her as doing a gang bang since he leveled the same accusation at Frances.

?

Edited by scrb
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, wovenloaf said:

Me too... especially since he could evidently hear enough to tell when Cole left, since he came back inside as soon as Cole walked out the front door. 

Since I was bored, I kept an eye on that sliding glass door, and how the blinds were still swaying during the Alison/Cole conversation. I was waiting for them to be moving in one scene, and then not be moving in the next scene (this is how I entertain myself sometimes). Most of the time, the door was only open a fraction of the way, since Alison didn't close it all the way. But in the very last shot of it, before Noah comes back in, it's open wide enough that a person could have walked through it. Nice going, continuity department... and thanks for giving me something interesting to notice.

• Love 4
On 12/18/2016 at 11:07 PM, CleoCaesar said:

Is Alison's vagina magnetic or something? Cole and Noah are inexplicably drawn to it whenever they're within three feet of Alison. It's gotten more than a little repetitive.

Too much Noah in this episode on this show. He wasn't completely unsympathetic in the scene where he talks about his mother, but his nonstop angst the past 3 season has gotten, well, more than a little repetitive.

Looking forward to Helen's POV next week.

I am late to this, but yeah.....Alison has quite the vagina! This happens on a lot of shows though and it is a pet peeve of mine. Alison seemed to be intent on keeping things strictly formal with Noah and somehow, she just cant help herself....by the end of the night, BAM. in bed with him. 

Though maybe noah has a magnetic dick? who knows? HA

The other thing that didn't happened that I was SURE was going to....when they missed their ferry, I was sure that they'd get stuck out there and not make it back in time for Alison to have Joanie for her birthday.    I was shocked when that plot twist didn't come to fruition.  

Edited by shelley1005
  • Love 6
On December 20, 2016 at 5:32 PM, vixenbynight said:

Hi....it's not to crass at all, but I'm wondering if Allison does have some sort of sex addiction/compulsion, because I'm not sure if she got any sort of comfort/release from having sex with either Cole or Noah.

Did she have sex with them, because 1)She needed some sort of comfort from Cole over the situation with Joanie, 2)She needed some sort of comfort from Noah over her need to divorce him due to the situation with Joanie or 3)She had sex with them both, because she thought that was what Noah and Cole needed from her?

All of these options are good, but I'm leaning toward 3.  But I don't think it fits with sexual addiction or compulsion.  If Alison had either of these, I think she'd be more of the aggressor sexually.   

It's hard to tell how Noah and Alison first began sexual contact because their POVs differed so much.  When she was pushing Cole to be rough on the truck, she was pretty submissive. When they made Joanie, Cole was the initiator.  i can't remember what Cole's POV showed then, but this episode had both their versions showing Cole as the initiator. 

Alison was quite aggressive with Oscar, and she definitely initiated.  But I remember saying at the time that Alison was using him to self-harm, like when she cut. 

And speaking of Oscar, is there any good reason to see so much of him?  I can't help but fear that he'll turn out to be Joanie's father.  

I do think Alison got something out of sex with Noah.  They were staring into each other's eyes and it was very intimate. 

I think she probably got something out of her encounter with Cole, too, but I felt something missing in the scene.  Last season when they made Joanie, the scene was so tender it brought me to tears.  I wonder if Ruth and Joshua are involved.  He's just been dumped for greasy Norman Reedus, and Ruth seems to be single.  A consummated relationship can affect the actors' chemistry.  Or maybe we weren't supposed to feel much from that scene?

• Love 2

I was totally bored by Alison and Noah walking down memory lane.  Sorry, not sorry.  

Also what was with the friendly light hearted banter between them? I don't ever remember them laughing when they were together.. Maybe a few laughs here and there when they were sneaking around but ultimately I always remember them being pretty miserable. 

• Love 2
On 1/2/2017 at 2:30 AM, RedheadZombie said:

And speaking of Oscar, is there any good reason to see so much of him?  

Yes! Since when are he, Alison and Cole all BFFs? Last we heard from him he was pissed that they stole the restaurant out from under him. It was jarring to see him and Cole being buddy-buddy. What happened to the feud?? Perhaps something happened in that missing 2.5 years?

I have been binge-watching this show for the past week or so and 3.5 was the first one I couldn’t really get through. I was terrified the entire time Alison was going to get caught with Noah and lose her chance with her daughter. It was incredibly tense and I ended up FF-ing to see what would happen because I couldn’t take it. 

I did see and was glad to see the part in which they sort of went over the fact that if Alison had told the police what had happened it would have all been fine. What’s the reason he wouldn’t “let” her tell the police? Well, the character didn’t really have one. It was all plot. But at least they acknowledged that!

Edited by betha
  • Love 1

The show will never tell you this, but for the record Block Island is not part of Long Island or New York, nor does it exist solely for the enjoyment of Noah Solloway.   It belongs to the great state of Rhode Island. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, millennium said:

The show will never tell you this, but for the record Block Island is not part of Long Island or New York, nor does it exist solely for the enjoyment of Noah Solloway.   It belongs to the great state of Rhode Island. 

Good reminder.  I believe it is officially known as New Shoreham.  

1 hour ago, grommit2 said:

Good reminder.  I believe it is officially known as New Shoreham.  

Block Island is the name of the island (for Adriaen Block, the Dutch explorer who named it after himself).  The town of New Shoreham is located on Block Island.

I never heard Alison's ghost story about the crying boy at Mohegan Bluffs before; I suspect it was contrived for the show, since it resonates with Alison's loss.

The real ghost story of Block Island is The Palatine Light