Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: Stanks And Anne

Tara Ariano

Anne was an atrocious pig. Her husband needs a safe space all right -- one preferably three towns over from her after the divorce. 

8 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Anne was an atrocious pig. Her husband needs a safe space all right -- one preferably three towns over from her after the divorce. 

I couldn't believe she had the gall to yell at him that all he cared about were his clear pathways. Yeah, because toxic candles and useless hand lotions are so much more important than his diabetic sores. After the second time Scott didn't stand up for himself about the candle, Dr. Lurch should have stepped in and led him by the nose. Anne is used to walking all over that poor guy and he has no clue how to stand his ground with her. He really did seem to like his little twin bed at the end though.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Dr. Lurch

LOL

And god! She was acting like he had some nerve asking her to clean up her worthless mall garbage to ensure he didn't, you know, lose his leg. Maybe his backbone was lost in the hoard, too?

When they first showed her giant face on the screen, I wanted to yell at the screen, "GHOUL!" Don't they have a Sephora in that mall where she works? Or is it not near the Bath and Body Works/Yankee Candle stores? CHRIST! Ugly on the outside, ugly on the inside.

These had to be two of the most unlikeable people ever on this show.

Did Ann have any redeeming qualities before the hoard? He needs to get a divorce asap. She was all well it's his fault if he gets hurt and dies. Too bad. I get my stupid candle.

• Love 8

Agreed with pretty much everything y'all said.

I hope Scott stands his ground. Ann gave zero farks about his safety and had zero likable moments. Ugh. I am somewhat of a product junkie too, but nothing like that. I use what I buy, and I am picky.

Why have so much that you can't even use before it starts to smell funky? It mostly looked like BBW stuff, too. I mean, how many bottles of Japanese Cherry Blossom spray does one need? And the nerve of her to blame him and put the onus on him!

These selfish partners are such wastes. Why be married if your partner has no value? If their needs and wants matter not? I have never understood people like that, those who are so inflexible and need everything their way, as if marriage isn't about two people. Then again, I'm not a selfish harpie, so.. 

We got to see the Zazz, always a shiny bauble and snazzy top in a sea of shit-covered clothes and "jewelry". I think she dresses that way not only to keep sane in that mess, but so that she's not accidentally tossed out in it. 

Dr. Tompkins and Standolyn - - great to see so much of the old team. Dr. Tompkins sure tried to get Scott to stand up for himself. I'm glad Standolyn and the team at least have him a clean spot. Hope he defends it with all he can muster, because I guarantee his selfish-cow wife is going to test him. Time to pull those nuts down, Scott.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I so wanted Scott to pick up that stupid candle and smash it on the ground.

That would have been amazing. 

Was her dad there? He was interviewed but I didn't see him during the clean out part 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

It was mind blowing to see how many bottles of lotion and other crap she had. 

I wonder how much of it had expired or gone bad. I'm a crunchy earth-mama and make my own products so I don't have to deal with chemicals and such (health reasons and just because!). I broke out in hives just looking at those tables loaded with the tubes and bottles. If any of it was expired they couldn't donate it.

I am a confirmed Christmas dork, and spent this weekend putting up my tree and assorted holiday tchotchkes. And then I watched Ann, and considered just burning the house down on January 1. I fear the slippery slope, y'all! (Laughed my head off at the scenes ominously scored with "Nutcracker" excerpts, though.)

• Love 8

My brother lives in a 500 sf apartment, and has enough Christmas stuff to decorate Disneyland - if Disneyland wanted to look tacky.  He had a recent health scare, and it crossed my mind that if he goes before me, I'll have to get rid of all of it.  And my helpers will be 1-800-GOTJUNK.  

Fortunately, his place doesn't quite hit the Hoarder line, but I'm extremely tidy with nothing out of place and he is . . . not.  It's agony for me to go into his place.  But watching the Christmas crap episode has made me realize that, as bad as I think HIS place is, it's not NEARLY as full as the house in the episode.  Yet.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

What was it with Anne's eyebrows?  They looked like so much work... did they have to be so hideous starting and stopping in all the wrong places like they were drawn on by a drunk?

The show might have been Hoarders, but those eyebrows strictly belonged on a meth addict from Intervention.

1 hour ago, bethster2000 said:

Anne was dead behind her eyes.

She probably knew that too hence the entire pot of glitter eyeshadow applied to her eyelids as a distraction strategy. Also: the one yellow corn kernel tooth. 

The episode was so profoundly awful I watched it again tonight. I had forgotten she blamed everything on Scott because he refused to wear his shoes. That, and the "Rome wasn't built in a day" line she had to use several times. UGH. She was terrible. Free Scott!  

ETA: From the recap:

Ann and Scott really need to use their aftercare funds to get divorced. They don't like each other. They don't care about each other. There aren't any kids involved. Get out now

AMEN to that. But at some point, Ann said, "This is my house." I don't know if she had it prior to marriage or she was just that insufferable of a bitch to claim ownership of a home that belonged, at least half, to Scott. Maybe he's just sticking around because he's on disability and has nowhere else to live?  

Edited by Guest
18 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

It was mind blowing to see how many bottles of lotion and other crap she had.  I wonder if they ended up donating any of that  so someone could use it, or if just went straight to the landfill.

I was hoping they'd send some of the stuff to shelters, because they're always asking for things like that.
Scott needs to grow a pair, and get a divorce, too.
I think she mentioned "my house," and I wondered if it was, and she had money, because nothing was said about the expense of all her things.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I think she mentioned "my house," and I wondered if it was, and she had money, because nothing was said about the expense of all her things.

I was wondering about the cost of it all, too.  Even with an employee discount, that stuff is not cheap.  

I'll join the chorus of "Run, Scott, Run!"

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

The show might have been Hoarders, but those eyebrows strictly belonged on a meth addict from Intervention.

She probably knew that too hence the entire pot of glitter eyeshadow applied to her eyelids as a distraction strategy. Also: the one yellow corn kernel tooth. 

The episode was so profoundly awful I watched it again tonight. I had forgotten she blamed everything on Scott because he refused to wear his shoes. That, and the "Rome wasn't built in a day" line she had to use several times. UGH. She was terrible. Free Scott!  

ETA: From the recap:

AMEN to that. But at some point, Ann said, "This is my house." I don't know if she had it prior to marriage or she was just that insufferable of a bitch to claim ownership of a home that belonged, at least half, to Scott. Maybe he's just sticking around because he's on disability and has nowhere else to live?  

Yeah - There must have been something else going on there.  Either he was the biggest puss in the world (actually both husbands were spineless wimps) or he was getting some free rent...  I am not sure why both husbands didn't use their funds to put each wife on a week cruise, go into the houses themselves and throw out everything.  If someone told me I was GOING TO LOSE MY HOME I would be loading the dumpsters with little regard to feedback from my wife...

• Love 3

I don't watch this show because I find it so disturbing on many levels, but the recap got me so I had to watch.  Gerri and Rodger.  Did they have one tooth between them?  It is painfully obvious that they have severe mental disorders.  They truly believe they will clean the house.  Has a professional on the show ever asked a hoarder "what will you feel like if <insert nasty item> is thrown away?"  I'd love to hear the rationale.  As far as Scott, he's toast.  His wife is a bitch who doesn't care about him, and he is too spineless to leave.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I don't watch this show because I find it so disturbing on many levels, but the recap got me so I had to watch.  Gerri and Rodger.  Did they have one tooth between them?

Right?  You keep EVERYTHING you have ever touched EXCEPT your teeth?  C'mon....  Keep looking in the pile...

• Love 4
6 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

I may not be the world's most perfect wife, but I know that my husband and his health are much more important than some shitty Nutcracker candle.

The Hoarding Force was strong in that one.

The bitch face was too. 

• Love 2

The only thing I can think of in regard to her husband is that he needs someone to take care of him.  I've known a number of T1D's in my life.  Some were babied by parents, and need someone as an adult to do the same thing (I've seen it destroy marriages, and seen in-laws who demand the same level of car from a spouse that they would give, full of criticism, etc. ).  I've also known T1D's who have parents who forced them to own their issues, and they tend to do much better.  My opinion (not sure if it's correct) is that those two fall in to the first category.  That's the only way I can see her being that cruel and hateful toward him.  Or she could just be a borderline psychopathic bitch.

You keep EVERYTHING you have ever touched EXCEPT your teeth?  C'mon....  Keep looking in the pile...

Seriously, ChipBach, you KNOW they're in there somewhere. (I remember at least one set of dentures being located at the bottom of a filthy hoard in a previous season, so there's a precedent!)

• Love 4

(I remember at least one set of dentures being located at the bottom of a filthy hoard in a previous season, so there's a precedent!)

I think that was Augustine.  Her dentures were found in one of the piles.  She was the one who seemed always out of breath and sat on the porch eating hot dogs (no buns, just weiners).  She was the one with the really nice son who came back to town to help.  

• Love 2

Scott should try to find his balls in one of Queen Ann's purses. All of those goos and potions and lotions can't hide the fact that she is ugly on the inside. My question is how in the f**k do bitches like her always seem to find a pussy of a man to take their BS? Disgusting!

And the Stanks? Well, the name says it all! When Gerri said she could donate some of her food or give it to children, and at the same time the camera was panning over clearly expired and rotten food, I was thinking I couldn't even get my dog to eat that stuff. And he eats his own vomit!

• Love 8

I may not be the world's most perfect wife, but I know that my husband and his health are much more important than some shitty Nutcracker candle.

But it's 'day-core'!  I thought that it was hilarious that she thought that the Yankee Candle was decor.  If I had to choose any of the candles I saw as actually decorative, I would have chosen the ones that were masquerading as big striped ornaments.  Those were actually kind of cute and I wouldn't mind owning those.  However, those would probably be the ONLY candles--Christmas-themed or otherwise--that I would have in my house.  

Gerri was totally out of it regarding the potential loss of their house.  Matt has the patience of a saint, but I saw him come close to really losing his temper a couple of times.  He was really frustrated and probably would have loved to be able to thwack her upside the head, hoping to knock some sense into her.  I felt a little sorry for Rodger.  He was a hoarder, but I get the feeling that his hoarding kind of escalated in response to his wife's hoarding.  I especially felt sorry for him at the end where they were showing the part that they had cleaned while you could still see how much there was left in the background of the yard (and after they had been told that they were going to probably lose the house) and he was so carefully sweeping off the sidewalk.  

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I think that was Augustine.  Her dentures were found in one of the piles.  She was the one who seemed always out of breath and sat on the porch eating hot dogs (no buns, just weiners).  She was the one with the really nice son who came back to town to help.  

When they found her teeth she popped them in her mouth without rinsing them off.  Ah memories . . . .

• Love 9

The city where Ann and Scott live is a very nice, affluent area.  Their house looked like it was built in maybe the 1980's, so I wonder if it was her childhood home that was given to her by her parents.  Was it specifically said that Scott is on disability?  I saw it mentioned here, but don't remember hearing it when I watched the show...but I was also doing other things.  If so, you don't live in Alpharetta on disability and retail incomes without some other source of income or financial assistance, the taxes alone would be too much.   Scott sure got brave and kicky when Ann wasn't watching him.  All I could think when he was throwing the fit upstairs was "WHY ARE YOU KICKING THINGS WHEN YOU JUST SAID A STUBBED TOE CAN COST YOU YOUR LEG???"   As vile as it was, and I really was properly horrified, I also had to laugh in disbelief when Ann berated him for caring more about keeping his body in one piece than he cared about her potions and candles.   Way to miss the ENTIRE POINT, Ann!  I get the feeling she is just delusional and selfish enough to have watched the episode and smugly declared herself the winner, not seeing one flaw in any of her behavior, possibly patting herself on the back for standing up to Scott when he was trying to bully her into allowing him a small goat path that he may use to safely roam through the house. 

The Stanks.  Their whole portion of the episode was like one long dry-heave for me.  I do wish they would have said where they ended up living once their house was declared uninhabitable.  They used aftercare funds, great, but where did they go???

• Love 1

I couldn't really tell from the episode (and I've already deleted it before I thought to check), but did Ann and Scott live in a house or a townhouse?  I thought it was a house, but I caught a glimpse of what looked like a row of covered parking spaces all together and I saw what looked like a community swimming pool.  Now I'm curious to know exactly where they live (I have family in Lawrenceville and I'm a little bit familiar with the area, including Alpharetta).  I also wondered if the house was hers and that's why Scott has stayed with her.  He maybe wasn't raised to function on his own (like someone else posted above) and has nowhere else to go. One day he might snap, though.  If he does, I hope he limits himself to smashing candles, Christmas ornaments and maybe smooshing some containers of bath gel and body lotion! 

• Love 1

My quote function isn't working, but for the person who mentioned the stubbed toe, it's not so much the actual stubbed toe, but the body's reaction to it.  My guess is that he has "brittle" diabetes, or he didn't/doesn't have good control (an insulin pump would probably do him a world of good - I saw syringes so I assume he's not using one), and circulation - particularly to the extremities - is the first thing to go.  This is why a lot of diabetics lose feet, toes, etc.  They get scratches or blisters or cuts (or a broken toe could equally cause issues) and there's not enough blood flow to the extremity to help the body fight off any infection that may arise.  Couple that with neuropathy where many diabetics can't feel their feet or feel when they are scratched, etc, and it's a recipe for disaster.  With all of the diabetic dermopathy spots on his legs, I'd say he has circulation issues and a right to be concerned.  My late evil Mother In Law had open sores on her legs frequently (long-term T2D that never took care of herself) and she'd walk around her gross house in bare feet and her legs uncovered.  She had life-threatening infections more than a few times.  She died of a heart attack before she could lose any toes, etc, but it was coming.

• Love 3

Yes, I understand his situation perfectly, I wasn't at all saying he has no right to be concerned.  I agree with him, and that's why I didn't want him kicking things, even though I certainly get why he was mad enough to do it. 

14 hours ago, Irritable said:

The city where Ann and Scott live is a very nice, affluent area.  Their house looked like it was built in maybe the 1980's, so I wonder if it was her childhood home that was given to her by her parents.  Was it specifically said that Scott is on disability?  I saw it mentioned here, but don't remember hearing it when I watched the show...but I was also doing other things.

The show didn't say if Scott received disability -- that was me speculating (or grabbing at straws) to understand why he just didn't pick up and leave and move to another house. 

They definitely lived in a townhouse community. I guess it's also conceivable they don't own the house and might just be renting it? Are townhouse rentals expensive as well in that section of GA?

Anyone else notice the million pill bottles on top of the heap of garbage on the bathroom vanity? I presume they belonged to Scott who very easily could, you know, throw them away himself...SCOTT. 

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:13 PM, Toaster Strudel said:

What was it with Anne's eyebrows?  They looked like so much work... did they have to be so hideous starting and stopping in all the wrong places like they were drawn on by a drunk?

I'll bet Anne paid $75 dollars for that black Magic Marker, glamorously packaged as a fabulous brow enhancement.

I imagine Scott's going to defend his space like this:

Scott: "No Anne, you can't bring that big armload of crap in here!

Ann:  You're being selfish, I don't have anywhere else to put it!

Scott:  Okay.

By all that's right and holy Anne should be the one to have to leave that house since she's the one that made it unsafe, but we know that will never happen and Scott will never be able to stand up to her.  His best bet is to tell her there's a cosmetics sale at Kohl's, pack his stuff and be gone before she gets back.  Then communicate only through the divorce lawyer.   Let her live out her days alone with her slimy lotions and that Christmas tree that looked like an elephant had eaten all the candy in the world and then thrown up on it.

• Love 1

Why does it always seem Dr Zazz & Matt get the most difficult, near- eviction cases?

I prefer watching the "clean" hoards- that reminds me of my mom with her closets full of clothes with the tags on, Avon makeup, etc. I can't relate to the piles of rotting food or bottles of urine that were on other episodes.

They should have held a yard sale for Ann's candles & lotions & purses. Nothing was getting through to her- maybe tallying up an estimate of what she had spent on all of it? I do love my b & bw hand soaps but I limit myself to 6 & use them in 3 bathrooms. I don't buy more until they are gone. I thought their solution of giving her X amount of space for her candles & lotions was smart- till she tested him & he backed down.

• Love 1
On 12/22/2016 at 0:45 PM, Giant Misfit said:

Anyone else notice the million pill bottles on top of the heap of garbage on the bathroom vanity? I presume they belonged to Scott who very easily could, you know, throw them away himself...SCOTT. 

I didnt realize they were in Alpharetta, a little too close to me for comfort! I live the next town over. Why were all those pill bottles piled up? We saw him taking a pill. Maybe she wanted to save them for something? They are the Publix pharmacy bottles and they do take them back to recycle. Maybe she was planning on recycling them? Lots of hoarders have issues when anything is thrown out. Maybe when he tried to throw them out she said she was going to take them back to Publix and just never got around to it. It made no sense at all!

As for Mrs. Stank, she was clearly mentally ill. She didn't see the trash at all. When Matt said "look at all of this we still have to get to"- she didn't know what he was talking about. I don't know why they feature these extremely mentally ill people on the show. I realize they are all mentally ill but the ones that live on top of rats, feces and trash and don't notice it are in a special category of ill.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:44 AM, Mrsjumbo said:

I thought their solution of giving her X amount of space for her candles & lotions was smart- till she tested him & he backed down.

I waited for someone to suggest she go to her Big Box o' Candles and take one out to make room for the red  one that was more important than her husband. 

Lots of Hoarders seem to have lots of things like dozens of shampoo bottles with one inch of shampoo in them.  Why do they open a new ne when the old one isn't used up?  It bothers me so much it's effected my life.  I bought a bottle of Prell after using a hair color shade that was a little too dark.  It's harsh enough to strip a little color out.  After it worked, it was starting to dry my hair out, but I couldn't bring myself to return to my regular shampoo and just save the partial bottle for the next time I need color stripping -- because therein lies the slippery slope to inaccessible bathrooms and total chaos. 

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I waited for someone to suggest she go to her Big Box o' Candles and take one out to make room for the red  one that was more important than her husband. 

Lots of Hoarders seem to have lots of things like dozens of shampoo bottles with one inch of shampoo in them.  Why do they open a new ne when the old one isn't used up?  It bothers me so much it's effected my life.  I bought a bottle of Prell after using a hair color shade that was a little too dark.  It's harsh enough to strip a little color out.  After it worked, it was starting to dry my hair out, but I couldn't bring myself to return to my regular shampoo and just save the partial bottle for the next time I need color stripping -- because therein lies the slippery slope to inaccessible bathrooms and total chaos. 

It' because they get a big rush and high when they are buying it. They use the shopping as a way to cope with their emotions. Just like an over-eater or an alcoholic. Going into one of these stores and grabbing all the pretty tubes, bottles and candles makes her feel good, really good. She is addicted and like all addicts doesn't care about the consequences to their life and those around them. I wish the shrinks would deal with that, not just the hoard. Because if she can't get a handle on that all the organizing is a waste of time.

• Love 1