Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E26: Live Finale Results

Noreaster
  • Start Topic

25 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Can anyone actually HEAR Sting?  Cuz I barely can.

Me either, I was saying while he was performing, someone turn his mic up! OR was everyone else turned up too much, because they were almost drowning him out.

Proud Mary, now that's a song Ali could have killed in her save...or the night before!

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

So happy for Team Blake! Also happy that this wasn't a season with an inevitable winner. Billy looked to be getting that set up for a while. Sundance isn't exactly the biggest underdog ever with his Idol past, but I think he picked up steam as the season went along and really stepped up Monday night.

• Love 7

I'm just glad We didn't win.  She has a lot of potential but had way too many problems in her performances to really deserve the win.  

I don't know if Sundance was ever considered an underdog.  He and Billy both consistently charted high on itunes this season.

I only caught bits and pieces of the episode tonight.  Sundance's duet with KISS looked fun.  I also really enjoyed the Billy/Kelly Clarkson duet.  The group bring-backs were just okay.  I saw all except for Billy's.  

• Love 1

I think We will improve as she matures. She's what, 16?  I think the song choices also hurt her as the season went on.

Could they really not find anyone else for Josh besides Cam? I like her and the song fine. But the other artists seemed to get more well known singers. 

Plus, Emily Ann sang that song in the finale last season. 

Edited by Court
  • Love 1

I think she's 17.  Yeah, We has a lot of potential.  And the show really did have her doing a lot of different things.  Maybe too many things for the purposes of a competition.  

Simply her age puts her at an advantage relative to the other finalists.  I wouldn't be surprised to see her get signed by a record label.  Thinking back to past seasons, many of the younger finalists end up getting signed (though some were later dropped).  Obviously we've seen some commercial success from Cassadee Pope, Danielle Bradbury, Jordan Smith.  But we've seen non-winners like Jacquie Lee, the Swon Brothers, Matt McAndrew, and Chris Jamison also get signed.  Also Melanie Martinez who was eliminated earlier. Meanwhile the older contestants (even the winners) don't get much record label support.  

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 1

So it's not just me? This show is starting to suck more and more each season isn't it?

I think this may be it for me. I'm glad Sundance won, but...eh...both were professional singers who have been singing all their lives. Guess this isn't an amateur singing show any longer. Doesn't matter. You never hear of any of them (save one(?) ) having any kind of career success...

• Love 2

I'm glad Sundance won and enjoyed watching his celebration with family and friends onstage.  I was kind of surprised that We tackled that Barbra Streisand song and wondered if that was all Alicia's idea? I didn't watch this season much except the beginning and the end. How was her coaching? To be honest, I'd rather see Pharrell or Usher back than Gwen and Alicia.

I thought Toyota giving them all home recording studios was very cool!

Nothing stands out for me too much performance-wise. But, yes, I really wanted to hear Sting and couldn't hear him that well. 

To be honest, this never was an amateur singing show (referencing the post above). Not that I think people should come in with huge fanbases, but, even in the beginning I remember seeing Jordis and other performers from Rockstar:INXS (as well as their incredible band!). I see it more as those who maybe didn't have the right look or chance before or were playing in small venues and bars. Not that amateurs shouldn't try out of course! But, there have always been background singers, etc. I actually like this about the show as the talent is usually better than some other shows (AI, cough).

I'm watching Jimmy Fallon and Niall Horan is on. It's funny, he looks like Billy, and sounds like him a bit, but, he seems connected to his music and to have the likeability factor. I think placement doesn't matter too much with The Voice. If someone wants to work with you, they will. I hope We gets some good musical direction and nurturing. She is truly unique.

Rambling here.... I'm really happy Sundance won! 

12 minutes ago, Court said:

Was it ever meant to be an amateur show? Wasn't it marketed as a second chance show and that's why there is no age limit.

Yes, that's how I see it. :)

Edited by InfiniteMystery
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

So happy for Team Blake! Also happy that this wasn't a season with an inevitable winner. Billy looked to be getting that set up for a while. Sundance isn't exactly the biggest underdog ever with his Idol past, but I think he picked up steam as the season went along and really stepped up Monday night.

And yet another win for Blake where he has just one and Adam had two in the finale. Ha, I loved that.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Did Miley try to flash her boobs at Gene Simmons?

She probably showed more boob than the producers would have liked but not sure it was intentional. Other than wearing a really short cropped top, no bra and letting herself get twirled... maybe she just forgot. 

I was glad to see Sundance win! I thought he certainly deserved to win as his singing was great, as was Billy's too. I'm sure they will both get record deals. We will be amazing as she gets older. I think Broadway is in her future. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh doesn't get a record deal too as his sound is what is currently popular in country music these days. 

Finally watched both of this week's shows, and I have to say that, even though I was a We supporter from her audition throughout the season, I fully agree that Sundance deserved the win. All of his songs from Monday were definitely the best of the night, and I am not the biggest country fan. I loved "Treat Her Right," which I actually know only from "The Commitments" soundtrack. His original is one I would actually listen to again. 

I do expect to hear from We again, though. I really think she has potential to make it in the music and/or theatrical worlds.

Edited by Sharpie66

Congrats, Sundance! He definitely deserved the win. Especially against Billy who was so hyped since the blinds. 

I'm glad Blake won another one too because the feeling I get from the past couple of seasons is that he has a hard time getting front-runners from other genres on his team. I hope they give him a chance next season, because he's really a solid coach. He may not be a brilliant coach (none of them really is), but he's consistent and supportive. I would choose him if if I were one of the contestants.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, InfiniteMystery said:

I thought Toyota giving them all home recording studios was very cool!

I thought it was kind of weird!  What if their home doesn't have the space?  What if they move?  Why couldn't Toyota give them, you know, cars?  Ha.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, waving feather said:

I'm glad Blake won another one too because the feeling I get from the past couple of seasons is that he has a hard time getting front-runners from other genres on his team. I hope they give him a chance next season, because he's really a solid coach. He may not be a brilliant coach (none of them really is), but he's consistent and supportive. I would choose him if if I were one of the contestants.

I don't know if this win would change anyone's mind.  Blake won again with a country singer and had mixed results with his non-country contestants.  

If anything, this season showed a country singer can get far on someone else's team.  Josh made it to the finals on Adam's team.

This ended up being a pretty country-heavy season.  Three people in the top 12.  A bunch of country guest advisors..  

10 hours ago, Ketzel said:

How tall is Sundance Head? I know Kiss wears built-up boots as part of their costumes, but he looked like he didn't even come up to Gene Simmons' shoulder.

Well, he's pretty short standing next to Blake, too, and he's 6'5"? My guess is that Sundance is about 5'4". And I might be generous with that estimation. 

I'm happy that Sundance won. I think Billy and Adam knew. Billy was happy about it, pointing to Sundance whenever Carson teased about "crowning the winner of The Voice," but Adam had that nauseated look on his face as Carson was announcing the placements. It was the same look he had when he had three finalists to Blake's one, and it became obvious that CWB was going to shut him out.  

I'd like to see Sundance have some success over on the Country side. It seems that Blake really likes him personally, so maybe he will. 

Despite Blake actually winning this thing more than anyone else, he doesn't get the four chair turns as often. Adam can sell it like a used car salesman, and beg like nobody's business. Alicia gets out of her chair and goes up and touches and talks personally TOthe contestant way too often. It's impressive. Miley is just LOUD and in your face. It is a testament to Blake that he puts so many of his people in the final two and has now won 5 times. I mean, it's not like Derek Hough on Dancing with the Stars who has won 6 times, but is always assigned really GOOD partners. Team Blake is never the most loaded team. But he does it. 

I really loved At Last. I wonder how much of that arrangement was Sundance, Blake or the behind the scenes arranger at The Voice. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 3

I think the show characterized Sundance as a soul/country singer.  

Regarding 4-chair turns, country singers don't get them as often largely because country is really a separate industry. Three of the four coaches really don't have much country knowledge.  

I think it's pretty clear that 1) there is a strong appreciation for the country genre by voters, and 2) Blake does well with good country singers and less well with other genres.  When was the last time he brought a non-country singer to the finals?  There was Meghan Linsey who was characterized as soul, but she used to be part of a successful (?) country duo and sang some country on the show.  Otherwise, we have to go back to season 3.  

• Love 1

I wasn't invested in anyone to win, although I did yell out "NO!" when Sundance won over Billy, so maybe I did care. But in reality, coming in first, second or third doesn't mean all that much (*coughdaughtrycough*) Last night reminded me how much I LOVE Bruno Mars. I could watch an hour (or more) of just him and the Hooligans. And Sundance with Kiss was all kinds of hysterical, although it would have been better IMO if Sundance had been wearing leather tights and platform heels. That would have rocked my world. Good luck to all contestants from here on out.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

And Sundance with Kiss was all kinds of hysterical, although it would have been better IMO if Sundance had been wearing leather tights and platform heels. That would have rocked my world. 

Ha!  I was thinking Sundance looked so out of place and wished he was more in costume.  But that performance was fun!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Noreaster said:

This ended up being a pretty country-heavy season.  Three people in the top 12.  A bunch of country guest advisors..  

This is probably because Country is the only genre left where the music labels (and artists) can still make decent money :D

48 minutes ago, Noreaster said:

I think the show characterized Sundance as a soul/country singer.  

Regarding 4-chair turns, country singers don't get them as often largely because country is really a separate industry. Three of the four coaches really don't have much country knowledge.  

I think it's pretty clear that 1) there is a strong appreciation for the country genre by voters, and 2) Blake does well with good country singers and less well with other genres.  When was the last time he brought a non-country singer to the finals?  There was Meghan Linsey who was characterized as soul, but she used to be part of a successful (?) country duo and sang some country on the show.  Otherwise, we have to go back to season 3.  

I think when he won with Jermaine Paul in Season 2. Miley has plenty of country knowledge as well. 

54 minutes ago, Court said:

I think when he won with Jermaine Paul in Season 2. Miley has plenty of country knowledge as well. 

That's true about Miley.  I was referring more to the history of the show and how the argument that Blake is such a great coach because he wins without getting many 4-chair turns is flawed.  Country singers don't usually get 4 chairs to turn for very good reason.  

Terry McDermott was a rocker and placed 2nd in season 3.  Blake was able to put his love of 80s rock to good use.

Edited by Noreaster
3 hours ago, basiltherat said:

I would consider Sundance to be more of a "blues" singer than country.  Not that you have to pigeonhole him, but he reminds me in ways both musical and physical of St. Nicholas from an early season.

Yes, blues-soul-country, all are in his wheelhouse. I think, from his comment on Monday, that Sundance sees himself mainly as a soul singer, but realizes (wisely) that the genre that sells (and competes well) is country.

Josh, to me, is like so much of contemporary country music and I'm so over it.  (I'd love to know what Blake really thought of the song. The praise seemed a stretch, as if he really wanted to say, "Spend some time in small town America. It's not all "church and bake sales and ribbons for the troops" Or, since Josh if I'm remembering right, was from coal country, why not write about what you know rather than what you think America wants to hear?)

I hope that Sundance DOES have a career, because I'd love to see that blues-soul-jazz influence become stronger in country music. I think he could do it and since he and Blake had good chemistry, maybe Blake will push him along a bit.

I felt bad for them getting recording studios instead of a car. I mean, maybe--maybe--Toyota will kick in a couple of thousand dollars worth of equipment, if they even have the space, a room they can soundproof, etc.  C'mon Toyota! You're not known for your recording studios!

• Love 2

One of my problems with the contestants is, I can't understand any words to any songs (there are exceptions, of course), I just hear shouting in sync with the music. Perfect example was We singing with John Legend last night. Legend perfectly pronounced EVERY SINGLE WORD while all I heard out of We's mouth was a big blur of who-knows-what. I don't even know what the song are about 90 percent of the time, if it's not a song I'm familiar with. So it is the performers, not the show's sound that's the problem. As for the show being for the "washed up," I'd rather listen to 'has beens" and struggling performer than my next-door neighbor. And trust me, NONE of you want to hear ME sing. So, be thankful it is those people who audition and not Everyman OR Saber5055.

• Love 4

Was last night the first time Josh ever took off his cap (as he was leaving the stage after getting fourth)? It really irritated me, so much so that I wanted him to lose because of that lousy cap stuck on his head. Sundance at least took his hat off once in a while plus laughed about it. But Josh? WTH was up with that?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

all I heard out of We's mouth was a big blur of who-knows-what. I don't even know what the song are about 90 percent of the time, if it's not a song I'm familiar with. 

This was my complaint about her original song on Monday night, too.  It was an unfamiliar song, and all I heard was garble.  I don't want to have to watch singing with subtitles on!

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Was last night the first time Josh ever took off his cap (as he was leaving the stage after getting fourth)? It really irritated me, so much so that I wanted him to lose because of that lousy cap stuck on his head. Sundance at least took his hat off once in a while plus laughed about it. But Josh? WTH was up with that?

He took his hat off on Monday night too, when he was announced as one of the top 4.

Edited by MaryPatShelby
Because I do know the correct usage of to, too, and two....
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Did Miley try to flash her boobs at Gene Simmons?

She definitely grabbed the bottom of her shirt at one point like she was going to, but then I think she saw the cameras were on her. I bet she did when they weren't showing her. 

• Love 1

Thanks MaryPatShelley. I missed the part Monday when Josh doffed his cap. Does anyone know if Adam really has his entire torso covered in tats, or was that scene (where he came out of the shower wearing a towel) a joke to make fun of his full sleeves?

One of my problems with the contestants is, I can't understand any words to any songs (there are exceptions, of course), I just hear shouting in sync with the music.

Aha! Thank you, thank you for mentioning that. OTOH, knowing the words to Ave Maria and Streisand's Rain on my Parade didn't really help me appreciate the singing :)

• Love 1

Billy seemed genuinely okay with Sundance winning, unlike some past runner-ups you could see gritting their teeth beneath a frozen smile. Though he didn't win, it was still a great season for him, as he put himself back on the show biz map on his own terms. (I think that's why he sang "My Way." It applies to his remaking himself as a pop singer, and also that he publicly came out as gay).

I was okay with Sundance as winner, though for my taste, I wish he'd shown more of his blues and soul side. But country is still a winning ticket on this show, as demonstrated by Josh coming in fourth. I preferred Adam Wakefield, who was in the same general genre, to Sundance. But Adam Wakefield was up against Alisan Porter, and no one was going to beat her. Same with Sawyer Fredericks in his season. I think that Sundance did not have to overcome that kind of unbeatable opponent, which enabled him to "steal" the win with some good final performances. (Some people saw Billy Gilman as being that kind of insurmountable favorite, but I never got that feeling about him).

I was surprised and impressed that they got Sting, a favorite of mine. That song sounded like an old Police number. Unfortunately, the sound was terrible. And not to be too catty, but that teased-up hair looked really silly. He's 65, no shame in admitting that he no longer has a full head of hair. (I've seen him in recent interviews, and he had a nice short haircut that looked "age appropriate.")