Type keyword(s) to search

Bachelor in Paradise in the Media

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, fib said:

Its not really Paradise Hote because there is no 'forced recoupling'.  There is a constant reevaluating of partnerships, but no one is forced to change partners.  

I watch it because it is flighty.  It is amusing. It has always been editted well in a way that imparts silliness.  

Well, I'm glad it's different, then. Those other shows were pretty awful and, at the time, were a whole new level of "trash TV". And I am glad that it has ended up being somewhat light entertainment. Maybe ABC figured out how to fix the concept, then, because I know for sure that FOX never did.

• Love 1

For the most part, before this whole mess happened, I found BIP to be more light hearted and easier viewing than the Bachelor or Bachelorette shows. The manufactured drama on the main franchise is worse than the drama on BIP. At least BIP tries to make a joke out of it (e.g. With Josh and his pizza), unlike the Lee/Kenny mess on the current season of the Bachelorette.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, backformore said:

TMZ reports that BiP will have a new policy of checking contestant's belongings to make sure they aren't bringing in illegal drugs.  And then they say it has nothing to do with what recently happened with Corinne and Demario.  Uh huh.  totally unrelated.  OK.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/06/24/bachelor-in-paradise-drug-policy-illegal-corinne-demario/

"Bachelor in Paradise" contestants will have to ante up all drugs -- both legal and not -- when they land in Mexico for the relaunched version this weekend. TMZ has obtained an email sent by producers to contestants, which informs them of some of the "new procedures" that have been initiated in the wake of the Corinne Olympios/DeMario Jackson scandal. The email reads in part, "Upon your arrival, your bags will be inventoried specifically for any over the counter and prescription drugs that are not prescribed to you." Any prescription/illegal drugs will be confiscated."

Prescription drugs will be confiscated??? People usually take prescription drugs with them on trips because they have to take said drugs at least once a day at certain times. Will TPTB have the handlers administer the prescription drugs to their respective talent? Isn't taking away a person's prescription meds a HIPAA violation, or are only healthcare professionals subject to HIPAA?

This reminds me of an Unreal plot where a producer switches out a woman's anti-depressants and she ends up committing suicide. Seems like a(nother) disaster waiting to happen.

"Upon your arrival, your bags will be inventoried specifically for any over the counter and prescription drugs that are not prescribed to you." Any prescription/illegal drugs will be confiscated."

It says not prescribed to the person owning the drugs, which seems very fair.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, waving feather said:

"Upon your arrival, your bags will be inventoried specifically for any over the counter and prescription drugs that are not prescribed to you." Any prescription/illegal drugs will be confiscated."

It says not prescribed to the person owning the drugs, which seems very fair.

But then it says "any prescription/illegal drugs will be confiscated", which makes it unclear.

• Love 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

But then it says "any prescription/illegal drugs will be confiscated", which makes it unclear.

Right, those not prescribed to the individual.  The email they got then goes on to say:

The email goes on ... "All drugs, over the counter and prescribed, must be submitted to the Nurse to keep and dispense accordingly for your stay in Mexico."

So they are allowed to take their meds.  I'm pretty sure it would not be legal to keep people from taking their prescription meds.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Prescription drugs will be confiscated??? People usually take prescription drugs with them on trips because they have to take said drugs at least once a day at certain times. Will TPTB have the handlers administer the prescription drugs to their respective talent? Isn't taking away a person's prescription meds a HIPAA violation, or are only healthcare professionals subject to HIPAA?

You mean like Birth Control?

Maybe they are trying to finally have a Bachelor Baby?  Its the last amazing thing that has never happened before: a baby conceived during filming!

(This has nothing to do with HIPAA - which means you can't share health info.  As long as the info is kept private and in the hands of a medical professional and not used for employment decisions, it is fine (and often necessary) for a company to know health info about an employee.)

1 hour ago, ByTor said:

Right, those not prescribed to the individual.  The email they got then goes on to say:

The email goes on ... "All drugs, over the counter and prescribed, must be submitted to the Nurse to keep and dispense accordingly for your stay in Mexico."

So they are allowed to take their meds.  I'm pretty sure it would not be legal to keep people from taking their prescription meds.

1 minute ago, fib said:

You mean like Birth Control?

Maybe they are trying to finally have a Bachelor Baby?  Its the last amazing thing that has never happened before: a baby conceived during filming!

(This has nothing to do with HIPAA - which means you can't share health info.  As long as the info is kept private and in the hands of a medical professional and not used for employment decisions, it is fine (and often necessary) for a company to know health info about an employee.)

Not just birth control, it could be any other medication. Some have to be taken in the morning on an empty stomach, some with meals, some every number of hours, etc. It just squicks me out that people have to hand over their own prescription meds, even if it's not technically a HIPAA violation. Everyone on the show will notice who goes to the nurse's office and when. It seems overkill for a silly reality show.

(edited)
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Not just birth control, it could be any other medication. Some have to be taken in the morning on an empty stomach, some with meals, some every number of hours, etc. It just squicks me out that people have to hand over their own prescription meds, even if it's not technically a HIPAA violation. Everyone on the show will notice who goes to the nurse's office and when. It seems overkill for a silly reality show.

Of course.  Sorry was just joking.  

I understand your concern entirely.  But some drugs could be stolen from a participant and abused by another.  Say, one contestant takes ritalin for adhd.  They have a months worth in their bags.  Another contestant steals it, uses it to get high, and does something f-ed up.  Or someone has oxy for a back injury   Another contestant steals it and has a opiate overdose (not heroin.  Oops)  

Production is right to be concerned, though i do think the 'dispensary' may be taking things a bit farther than necessary.  But they are fully into risk control, and going further than necessary is common in this scenario

Edited by fib
Oxycontin may be legal heroin. But its not actually heroin)
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, fib said:

I understand your concern entirely.  But some drugs could be stolen from a participant and abused by another.  Say, one contestant takes ritalin for adhd.  They have a months worth in their bags.  Another contestant steals it, uses it to get high, and does something f-ed up.  Or someone has oxy for a back injury   Another contestant steals it and has a heroin overdose.   

How do you have a heroin overdose from oxycodone?

• Love 1

I'm guessing they'll still have Valtex on the tables like bowls of M&Ms.

While no one associated with this show deserves the benefit of any doubt, I can see a plausible reason for this new policy.

If they want to prevent cast members from getting totally impaired, they have to be able to control what substances (liquid and pill) the cast members have access to.  

The liquid substances are a little easier to control because I'm guessing most people aren't going to pack bottles of vodka in their luggage.  And I'm assuming that once they land in Mexico they are, essentially, "in custody" and only have access to the food and beverages that the show provides.

But there's a big difference between two pina coladas, and two pina coladas with a few benedryl or ambien.  It may be that what they're trying to prevent here is cast members Cosby-ing themselves or others.

[although, let's be honest.  the show doesn't care.  they're just covering their asses.]

• Love 4

I think that Corrine's reality t.v. career is over.  Sure a cable channel could try to get ratings by putting her in a show, but she has demonstrated her willingness to "lawyer up" as it were and sue production.  That's high risk-even if she doesn't win, that would still be a huge expense to risk (i.e. ABC/Warner Bros. shutting down production and now ramping it up again).  It's one thing to be outrageous, it's another thing to have a lawyer on speed dial...and her father may have deep pockets with which to pay said lawyer.

However, I am glad that there's minimal risk of me seeing her on t.v. again.  What's that you say?  All I have to do is not watch or change the channel?  Well, for a rational being, yes.  But, I am unrationally drawn to certain reality shows (although there are many that I do not watch).

• Love 10

Just re: "Paradise Hotel" ... I think the main reason I watch BIP these days is so I can enjoy the PTV rehash threads afterwards ... And may I say, with a small genuflection here, that there were very few threads on PTV's predecessor, Television Without Pity, that were more awesomely hilarious than the "Paradise Hotel" thread ... good times, my friend. Good good times. 

• Love 12
(edited)

Paradise Hotel & Love Cruise were the best reality TV shows EVAH!  I can't believe someone is dissing them :)  BIP has its moments, but I still prefer the original Bachelor Pad version.

Edited by snarts
  • Love 12
(edited)

I think that Corrine's reality t.v. career is over.  Sure a cable channel could try to get ratings by putting her in a show, but she has demonstrated her willingness to "lawyer up" as it were and sue production.  That's high risk-even if she doesn't win, that would still be a huge expense to risk (i.e. ABC/Warner Bros. shutting down production and now ramping it up again).  It's one thing to be outrageous, it's another thing to have a lawyer on speed dial...and her father may have deep pockets with which to pay said lawyer.

However, I am glad that there's minimal risk of me seeing her on t.v. again.  What's that you say?  All I have to do is not watch or change the channel?  Well, for a rational being, yes.  But, I am unrationally drawn to certain reality shows (although there are many that I do not watch).

Has there been any confirmation about whether or not any part of DeMario and Corrine's few days on the show will be aired? NOT the infamous scenes obviously, but are they scrapping the footage of everyone arriving the first time and just beginning again with the footage they get from the group that returned after the investigation? 

I'm assuming those two didn't return for the second go-around, but I could certainly be wrong about that! 

That's how they handle it on Survivor too. Honestly, with all the privacy they give up to be on this show, I don't think having to visit the nurse for medication is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as privacy concerns. 

Edited by ljenkins782
Didn't read far enough in the thread!
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

That's how they handle it on Survivor too. Honestly, with all the privacy they give up to be on this show, I don't think having to visit the nurse for medication is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as privacy concerns. 

Having your Rx meds dispensed to you is already how they do it (at least on the 2 main shows). This sounds like broadcasting a little-known "secret" to convince people they're making changes.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bugs Meany said:

Having your Rx meds dispensed to you is already how they do it (at least on the 2 main shows). This sounds like broadcasting a little-known "secret" to convince people they're making changes.

True.  Although I wouldn't be surprised if this particular rule had never been enforced before.

1 hour ago, Artsda said:

I agree.

What bothers me is the term "blacked out".  It has two meanings.  I take it in the context of what happened that night as Corrine not remembering anything the following day - alcoholic amnesia.  But I'm afraid the term has been portrayed of her passed out and unconscious.  And that's where the vicious rumors against DeMario came from, that he took advantage of someone who was literally passed out.

It wasn't that long ago that charges were brought against a Stanford swimmer for sexually assaulting an unconscious co-ed behind a dumpster.  https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/09/us/brock-turner-blamed-drinking-and-promiscuity-in-sexual-assault-at-stanford.html  I'm still reeling from the fact he only got a 6-month sentence.

• Love 3
On 6/25/2017 at 9:31 AM, Alapaki said:

I think there's a very good chance that Corrine will get some sort of continued famewhoredom out of this.  No one is too toxic for basic cable.

Dating Naked?

Naked and Afraid?

she already did Dating Naked and Afraid

I'll see myself out....

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/25/2017 at 2:32 PM, JudyObscure said:

I take my thyroid pill in the middle of the night when my dog wakes me up to go wee.  I'd  have to take my dog with me, too.

It's a good thing we're not competing on BIP.  I would so get hopped up on your purloined thyroid meds. 

As to best reality shows ever, and if by best you mean skankiest, I'm going with the Vh1 ....Of Love franchise.  Especially that STD fest know as Rock of Love Bus.  That was some skeeze, I tell you what.  

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 3

I really have no idea what DiMario means by this (from the Hollywood Reporter story linked upthread):

“When you're a man, an African-American man, you always look for things that can help you out," he explained. "I made sure the cameras followed us. That’s when the Spidey senses went up."

Is he saying that, as an African-American man he was concerned about a blond-haired, blued-eyed white woman coming on to him so strongly and how that would look to the racist segment of the viewership?  Or was he saying that as an African-American man he thought he needed a solid hook-up with a contestant guaranteed to get screen-time and staying power in order to survive till the end himself?

Why did he "make sure the cameras followed us"?  To protect himself, or promote himself?

Because he then proceeds:

From there, Jackson says things "got wild" and he called Olympios the "aggressor" in the situation.

"It was, like, sexy," he said. "When you have an attractive girl telling you what she wants it’s like, 'Wow, this is hot.'” He then detailed how she put her "lady parts right on my face," insinuating the oral sex that was reported during the ongoing investigation.

It's worth remembering that, even DiMario's version of events makes him look pretty shitty.  He's admitting to going down on a naked woman in public at a public resort, poolside.  I'm not one to counsel anyone to turn down free vagina, platinum or otherwise.  But, time and place, pal!  Invite her back to your room.  Or go back to her room.  You don't do that in public.

He also prefaces everything by admitting that both he and Corrine schemed to be "villains" together:

"I was the villain for [that]," he explained of his Bachelorette experience. Olympios also established herself as a "villain" on Nick Viall's season of The Bachelor, and the two bonded over that fact when they met at the bar at Paradise's Sayulita, Mexico, resort earlier this month. "I've accepted this role," he recalls telling Olympios, saying they both planned to "dominate" Paradise.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Alapaki said:

"I've accepted this role," he recalls telling Olympios, saying they both planned to "dominate" Paradise.

And that, they did.  LOL

• Love 4
(edited)

Is he saying that, as an African-American man he was concerned about a blond-haired, blued-eyed white woman coming on to him so strongly and how that would look to the racist segment of the viewership?  Or was he saying that as an African-American man he thought he needed a solid hook-up with a contestant guaranteed to get screen-time and staying power in order to survive till the end himself?

Definitely thought he meant sentence #1.  Not necessarily anything to do with racism but just to protect him from any false accusations.

Edited by Palomar
  • Love 3

They both wanted to make their mark in reality TV and hope for more opportunities.  And that would have happened If Corinne (or her dad) had not gotten sue happy with $$ dancing in their head.  Had they waited until Warner Bros did their investigation, things would have proceeded as planned.  I  am sure this is not lost on Corinne.   

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Definitely thought he meant sentence #1.  Not necessarily anything to do with racism but just to protect him from any false accusations.

That was my initial take as well. But as a middle-aged white guy I admit I don't have the proper frame of reference. 

I don't recall there being any controversy when Grant and Lace hooked up (remember the "Grace" tattoos?). 

So I'm not sure what he would've been worried about on that count 

I don't think DeMario meant what racist viewers would think, but exactly for the reason of what happened to him. Think of all of these African American men--and boys-- who have been unjustly killed or targeted by police. Sadly this isn't anything new, but everyone walking around with a video recorder in their pocket is, so now white society like myself is more aware of this. How tragic that a young black man has to look around and hope for proof of his innocence just in case things take a bad turn, but even as a middle-aged white woman, I get why he was glad it was ALL on film just in case. 

• Love 8

I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything from Corrine's camp.  There must be a lot of planning, trying to reopen negotiations, etc. going on.  I would love to know what is happening since ABC is resuming filming without her.

That was my initial take as well. But as a middle-aged white guy I admit I don't have the proper frame of reference. 

I don't recall there being any controversy when Grant and Lace hooked up (remember the "Grace" tattoos?). 

So I'm not sure what he would've been worried about on that count 

Ah - I always thought you were a woman! Take that as a compliment. ;)

• Love 2
On 6/25/2017 at 6:46 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Just re: "Paradise Hotel" ... I think the main reason I watch BIP these days is so I can enjoy the PTV rehash threads afterwards ... And may I say, with a small genuflection here, that there were very few threads on PTV's predecessor, Television Without Pity, that were more awesomely hilarious than the "Paradise Hotel" thread ... good times, my friend. Good good times. 

Yaghtzee!!!!!

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Alapaki said:

But, time and place, pal!  Invite her back to your room.  Or go back to her room.  You don't do that in public.

But...but...it was hot!

• Love 1

Yaghtzee!!!!!

Pardizzle was hands down the best reality 'dating' show ever!!! Cannot believe anyone would disparage the show that brought us  Toni/Tony/Tonie and Barbie World!  That was some major must-see TV and started my obsession with TWoP which led me here to PreviouslyTV.  Love BiP but it is no Paradizzle!!!! 

• Love 3
(edited)

All of these new rules are pretty interesting.

The concern was with contestants potentially getting too impaired to consent (Because that totally didn't happen here!  TPTB swear!)

So monitoring "outside" substances like medications and putting a limit on the amount of alcohol that can be consumed would seem to address that.

Then why have this requirement that two people profess their consent verbally to a producer before getting it on?  

Because if I was a lawyer, and I am, I'd argue that the very existence of that policy is an admission that they don't expect their restrictions on inebriation to work.

And how exactly are the producers in question going to be trained or qualified to make the decision whether to give "permission"?  Breathalyzer tests?  And these producers have a tremendous incentive to keep these contestants hooking up.  How long do you think a producer who flags a couple will last?

Either this is all CYA bullshit that will be largely ignored in practice during filming.  Or someone in a suit (and who signs the checks) came down hard on the Production company and demanded a real belt-and-suspenders approach.  And, if it's the latter, that may suggest that Fleiss & Co. are going to be on a short leash.  

Edited by Alapaki
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

And how exactly are the producers in question going to be trained or qualified to make the decision whether to give "permission"?

My 1st thought was that there could still be legal action, as someone could claim that the producer's assessment of "consent" was incorrect. 

18 minutes ago, ByTor said:

My 1st thought was that there could still be legal action, as someone could claim that the producer's assessment of "consent" was incorrect. 

Exactly.  

Not that I take anything from or about this show seriously.  But if they were serious about this issue, they'd have someone not directly connected with the show make that "consent" assessment, both to help ensure the objectivity of the decision, and to insulate themselves.

The analogy that comes to mind is the way the NFL and NFL teams used to rely on team physicians or trainers to determine whether a player had a concussion (or other injury that should have required them to leave the game).  That was "oversight" in name only, as the person making the assessment had a huge incentive to make the decision that the team (who signed their paychecks) agreed with.  

And, by the way, how awkward for the couple who get denied permission!

• Love 3

And if they DO get denied permission and go ahead & do it anyway (from the TMZ article linked above)...

And get this ... if contestants violate the rule and go right into "The Boom Boom Room," producers can barge in and stop things mid-coitus.

• Love 1

It does take the situation to a level of idiocy.

for example, if two people on BiP are hitting it off and making out, at what point do they have to stop, and go ask producers permission to continue?  How far can they go without permission, and is there then going to be a written set of rules along the lines of what precise sexual acts are agreed to and not agreed to? 

The two drinks per hour makes sense, though.  Certainly its more than the CDC recommends for regular use, but people DO party occasionally and drink more than that. Blackouts, where someone can't remember what happened, are not going to be a problem when you can't drink more than 2 drinks in an hour. 

(not me, though, 2 drinks in one evening is my version of "partying")

• Love 3
6 hours ago, portergirl99 said:

Pardizzle was hands down the best reality 'dating' show ever!!! Cannot believe anyone would disparage the show that brought us  Toni/Tony/Tonie and Barbie World!  That was some major must-see TV and started my obsession with TWoP which led me here to PreviouslyTV.  Love BiP but it is no Paradizzle!!!! 

Yes! That was my first reality show and brought me to TWOP!!! It was amazing!!

And, by the way, how awkward for the couple who get denied permission!

Oh, I cannot wait for that Talking Head. *all slurred* OMG, we were gonna sooo get it on and we were told NO! I'm a grown ass adult. how dare they tell me who I can fuck! (there would probably be lots of beeping and subtitles because we can't understand a word the drunken fool is saying.

I feel like the consent thing actually opens them up to more lawsuits rather than less. If the show doesn't "approve" consent they can claim plausible deniability. If they are told this person is about to have sex and things go bad, they are now an active party in whatever happens.

The drink minimum is a smart response. The drug monitoring is typical for other reality shows, so that's fine, but the consent approval is a really bad idea IMO

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ByTor said:

And if they DO get denied permission and go ahead & do it anyway (from the TMZ article linked above)...

Wouldn't it be amazing for the show if that did happen.  I'd love to see that happen, producers telling two of the contestants that they need to go back to their rooms and cool off.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ByTor said:

And get this ... if contestants violate the rule and go right into "The Boom Boom Room," producers can barge in and stop things mid-coitus.

At least now all those idiots will know how to spell coitus.

• Love 3

This reminds of a Southpark episode where there was a frat party and when the party was over, the guys all brought girls up to their rooms.  All the girls had to sign forms that they were consenting to the specific sex acts that they were planning on participating in.  I don't think that the guys had to sign tho!

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Shampognay said:

This reminds of a Southpark episode where there was a frat party and when the party was over, the guys all brought girls up to their rooms.  All the girls had to sign forms that they were consenting to the specific sex acts that they were planning on participating in.  I don't think that the guys had to sign tho!

Indeed. 

It's worth noting that here we are nearly 2 decades into the 21st century, and a prime time franchise on one of the 4 major networks has had to have rules imposed on it that are usually reserved for asshole fraternities with hazing or date-tape problems.

Thats what "Bachelor Nation" is.

• Love 2

I am listening to Demario's long interview.

I don't think he did anything wrong, truthfully, but personally, I do not care for him. His constant references/comparisons to sports, players, actors, etc really annoy me. He is the kind of guy who turns me off totally. JMO, of course.

• Love 4

Yeah, I do not like DeMario at all. But for me he is the only one in this mess I would come close to calling a victim. Not of the initial incident, there were no victims there, just morons who don't think they have to take responsibility for what they do because they are of a generation where responsibility is a foreign concept, but of the aftermath, where he was pretty close to being labeled a rapist for having the misfortune to have had his drunken ONS with a self entitled, spoiled brat who had her own agenda going on. I'm pretty sure if it had been most of the other women this never would have reached this point. If it had been any other guy, though, Corinne's side would still have blown it up.

• Love 11