Type keyword(s) to search

Bachelor in Paradise in the Media

• Start Topic

This is an observation on some of the contestants' social media presences - I hope it's OK to post it in this thread:

I checked out some of the contestants' Instagrams to see how their social media personas compare to their portrayals on the show. I never use IG myself, so maybe what I saw was pretty standard, but there is SO. MUCH. PRODUCT. SHILLING. Almost every post by Carly and Amanda promotes a clothing store, beauty/makeup brand, or a nutritional supplement. Carly even shills for a teeth whitening device, and Amanda pimps the clothes that her daughters are wearing. That's just so ... undignified (I know they've already set a low bar for dignity by being on these shows, but still). I thought IG was about sharing photos of your life, but looking at Carly's and Amanda's feeds it's nothing but an advertising platform. Nothing to glean about their actual lives there.

Evan's IG is ridiculous in a different way. Doting father that he claims to be, there are no pictures of his kids. There are, however, many pictures of his Maserati, his skiing trips, events he attends (e.g. Super Bowl), and of his many dick offices. It makes more sense now why he has such a problem with alpha males like Josh and Chad - he can't stand that he's not the alpha male on these shows.

• Love 6

Flat-lined after reading "...and of his many dick offices."  I cannot! The comments here are so much more entertaining than the show. I don't follow anyone's social media accounts (anything I know of I read here), but I'm not surprised about the product shilling.  No doubt there are people who find legit relationships in this franchise, but as I alluded to elsewhere, these people (especially repeat offenders) are all about their "brand" and staying relevant in the entertainment industry.  Given how fleeting it all is, I guess you have to get the money while you can.   

• Love 1

I can't blame Evan for not posting pics of his kids.  There are a lot of crazies out there and you never know what they're going to do.  But the product shilling does irritate me.  It's almost like the consider Instagram shilling to be their job.  Look for it to appear on a chyron next season!!

Edited by Canada
  • Love 6

He looks like that goober guy who co hosted the first season of American Idol.   Still, he looked better than now.   Now he just looks like the geekiest character in an Eighties teen comedy movie.   I'm convinced his tattoos are stuck on with spit, or were done under twilight anesthesia.   The guy just exudes cringiness.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Canada said:

I can't blame Evan for not posting pics of his kids.

I agree. Especially once you put yourself in the public eye and randos like us start looking at your social media and it becomes far more public. For all we know he has a private account for friends and family or, OMG, actually shows pics of his kids to his friends and family in person!!!!! (ha, do people even do that anymore?) Anyway, I give a public person extra points if they aren't pimping out their kids all over social media.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Canada said:

I can't blame Evan for not posting pics of his kids.  There are a lot of crazies out there and you never know what they're going to do.  But the product shilling does irritate me.  It's almost like the consider Instagram shilling to be their job.  Look for it to appear on a chyron next season!!

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised some version of "Social Media Guru/Influencer" hasn't been used before. 

Not sure how old his kids are - does he share custody? The mom might have put the kibosh on it once he became a part of the franchise. Evan doesn't strike me as self-aware enough to be that concerned about his children. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Evan doesn't strike me as self-aware enough to be that concerned about his children. 

This.

Evan's IG look very "curated" to show him as a man about town. I doubt that his children's privacy was his primary motivation.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

It's like once Trista and Ryan did it, it became like the next step in franchise coupling. Sort of, "well if it was good enough for the OG franchise couple, it's good enough for us."

I didn't know that Trista and Ryan did it too, I thought Sean and Catherine were the first. It makes me think less of Trista and Ryan as well. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I didn't know that Trista and Ryan did it too, I thought Sean and Catherine were the first. It makes me think less of Trista and Ryan as well. 

They did it because Trista complained that Ryan wasn't affectionate enough for her liking. Apparently they had to come up with something to collect that paycheck.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I didn't realize Tanner and Jade were married (before reading the People story).  And they're headed to Marriage Boot Camp? Alrighty. 

Their wedding was on the Bachelor 20 special in January, so they've been married all of seven months.

2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Their wedding was on the Bachelor 20 special in January, so they've been married all of seven months.

Thank you - I didn't watch that special, and guess I ignored missed any press about it. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
20 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Jade and Tanner are doing Marriage Boot Camp. 

I'm disappointed in Tanner especially. I thought he was one of the more intelligent Bachelorette contestants and that he would stop famewhoring once he landed his dream girl (or at least confine the famewhoring to Bachelor reunion shows). Based on the preview clip in the article, Marriage Boot Camp makes the Bachelor shows and BiP look classy by comparison.

What a terrible idea.   Most of the couples on the shows I have watched are barely "celebrities", several are not even married.  Sean and Catherine spent much of their time on the show complaining that they didn't belong there, compared to the issues other couples were dealing with.  And Cody and michelle , who were just on it, spent their time crying and bickering.  It's an awful, show, tacky and voyeuristic, the "leaders"  (the implication is that they are therapists, they are NOT) use their so-serious voices to get couples to talk about their sex lives - and to  use frickin' PUPPETS  to demonstrate!  I think this show has the potential to do more harm than good to a couple like Jade and Tanner.  

But, I guess it pays well.

• Love 3

Twitter:

Evan Bass @ebassclinics

This evening on #bachelorinparadise I become like that drunk friend at the bar who ruins everything. #mondaymotivation

Nick replies: 

I see it differently. More like the rare friend who breaths a breath of fresh air w/ ur authenticity and boldness.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, backformore said:

Nick replies: 

I see it differently. More like the rare friend who breaths a breath of fresh air w/ ur authenticity and boldness.

LOL! Bet he couldn't type that with a straight face.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, backformore said:

What a terrible idea.   Most of the couples on the shows I have watched are barely "celebrities", several are not even married.  Sean and Catherine spent much of their time on the show complaining that they didn't belong there, compared to the issues other couples were dealing with.  And Cody and michelle , who were just on it, spent their time crying and bickering.  It's an awful, show, tacky and voyeuristic, the "leaders"  (the implication is that they are therapists, they are NOT) use their so-serious voices to get couples to talk about their sex lives - and to  use frickin' PUPPETS  to demonstrate!  I think this show has the potential to do more harm than good to a couple like Jade and Tanner.  

But, I guess it pays well.

And don't forget the hall pass they give them at the end of the season, which is only a week btw. I know when my boyfriend and I have an issue, the first thing I do is give him a hall pass. Works wonders. 

Nicks tweet is so kiss ass. Maybe he's getting a discount at Evan's dick company. 

• Love 1

And another thing about Sean and Catherine, they were so pretentious on that season. All the other couples cussed *gasp*!! And one of them had a threesome before, so Sean had to clutch his pearls and get all smug and request to leave. They were so superior to the rest. Assholes.

I'm sure Jade and Tanner will get all their non-problems figured out by the end of the week of filming. My ex-husband and I tried counseling for a week too. It didn't help obviously. It takes sometimes years of commitment to real counseling. Not puppets, hall passes, dramatic morgue play acting, and lie detector tests.

Good luck Jade and Tanner. And good job getting that money. Milk it for all it's worth. I know I would if I was a fame whore. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Nowhere said:

And another thing about Sean and Catherine, they were so pretentious on that season. All the other couples cussed *gasp*!! And one of them had a threesome before, so Sean had to clutch his pearls and get all smug and request to leave. They were so superior to the rest. Assholes.

I'm sure Jade and Tanner will get all their non-problems figured out by the end of the week of filming. My ex-husband and I tried counseling for a week too. It didn't help obviously. It takes sometimes years of commitment to real counseling. Not puppets, hall passes, dramatic morgue play acting, and lie detector tests.

Good luck Jade and Tanner. And good job getting that money. Milk it for all it's worth. I know I would if I was a fame whore. 

Don't mistake Celebrity  Marriage Boot camp for counseling.  The two have nothing in common. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Sean is a huge hypocrite. He acts all holier-than-thou, but he's the biggest famewhore of them all.

• Love 5

Great podcast here with Nick Viall and he confirms that Amanda did not talk to him after her date with Josh. She got back and started making out with Josh right in front of Nick, he said. I do not believe in "slut-shaming" or any of that nonsense -- she knew Nick for a couple days and if she liked Josh better, fine. But to not even say anything to him and to make out with another guy in front of him? That is so shitty. (BTW, that podcast is called Bachelor Party and I recommend it! It's my go-to while I'm doing chores.)

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Falafel said:

Great podcast here with Nick Viall and he confirms that Amanda did not talk to him after her date with Josh. She got back and started making out with Josh right in front of Nick, he said. I do not believe in "slut-shaming" or any of that nonsense -- she knew Nick for a couple days and if she liked Josh better, fine. But to not even say anything to him and to make out with another guy in front of him? That is so shitty. (BTW, that podcast is called Bachelor Party and I recommend it! It's my go-to while I'm doing chores.)

Amanda said in her blog that Nick had told her that he was going on BiP to meet Jen, and that her date with him didn't go as well as it was edited to look. She said she'd initially had a huge crush on him, but didn't feel "sparks" when they kissed and he only held her hand when the cameras were rolling. If what she's saying is true, then I can kinda-sorta give her a pass for dropping Nick like a hot potato when Josh arrived. There might have been a sassy "Nick who?" element in that, but it's more impressive for a woman on this franchise to move on quickly, than to be a pathetic mess like Ashley I (and even Emily, to a lesser extent).

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Falafel said:

3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Amanda said in her blog that Nick had told her that he was going on BiP to meet Jen, and that her date with him didn't go as well as it was edited to look. She said she'd initially had a huge crush on him, but didn't feel "sparks" when they kissed and he only held her hand when the cameras were rolling. If what she's saying is true, then I can kinda-sorta give her a pass for dropping Nick like a hot potato when Josh arrived. There might have been a sassy "Nick who?" element in that, but it's more impressive for a woman on this franchise to move on quickly, than to be a pathetic mess like Ashley I (and even Emily, to a lesser extent).

Amanda has a blog? Oh dear. I bet that is some straight-up Hemingway shit. Considering she says about four words at a time on the show and has no discernible personality, I am sure it's riveting. (No one could pay me to read anything she had to say. Although there is the added benefit of not having to hear her voice?)

Anyway, Nick said that when they went on their date, they agreed that they were open to see what comes along and he didn't expect it to a serious thing. But he did seem to think it was rude that they started just making out in front of him. He didn't really say anything about Jen, but he did say that the producers basically take everyone through who is eligible for Paradise and they try to figure out who everyone is interested in, and he said he said he was interested in Amanda and he assumes Josh said the same. So I suspect maybe Nick and Amanda did have an understanding that they weren't a couple and would see who else arrives in Paradise, but they interpreted where to go from there differently. Interesting - I'm sure they both are skewing things a little bit.

• Love 3

Nick did the Afterbuzz podcast this week too -- he did address Amanda's blog and said they had both decided they would be open to seeing other people and specifically mentioned Jen to her. I think that validates why she didn't feel she owed him an explanation. It would have been the polite thing to do since she took his rose, but maybe he hurt her feelings a bit.

I also think it was mostly Josh guiding the PDA. I haven't seen it mentioned here but extreme PDA is also a warning sign for possessiveness.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Falafel said:

Amanda has a blog? Oh dear. I bet that is some straight-up Hemingway shit. Considering she says about four words at a time on the show and has no discernible personality, I am sure it's riveting. (No one could pay me to read anything she had to say. Although there is the added benefit of not having to hear her voice?)

It's mostly for product shilling, sort of like a long form of her Instagram. Even in the post where she explains the Nick situation, she quickly moves on to talking about the clothes she wore in that episode.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Falafel said:

Haha, I'm glad to see someone shares my opinion of Hemingway! 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, chocolatine said:

She said she'd initially had a huge crush on him, but didn't feel "sparks" when they kissed and he only held her hand when the cameras were rolling.

I never thought Nick was that into Amanda, even during their date.  It's all he said, she said after the fact, but I do think Amanda's comment on the lack of sparks lines up with what I saw during their date.        

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I never thought Nick was that into Amanda, even during their date.  It's all he said, she said after the fact, but I do think Amanda's comment on the lack of sparks lines up with what I saw during their date.        

I think the producers wanted another "Nick bested by Josh" story, and Nick happily played along to get more screen time.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I think the producers wanted another "Nick bested by Josh" story, and Nick happily played along to get more screen time.

Yep.   And it's working.   I hope Nick is the next bachelor.   Yes, THAT Nick.   Once they strip the hipster doofus accoutrements, he's very fetching.  

• Love 5

It's not working on me. To me, he'll always be the Nick That Sucks. I much prefer Nick Petersen who at least is more open about his doucheyness and was responsible for the greatest moment in this franchise's history: ending of BP3.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I can see that. I just recently watched the latest episode, and I don't think he's that into Jen, either. To me, Nick looks mostly bored on the show.        

17 minutes ago, thehepburn said:

It's not working on me. To me, he'll always be the Nick That Sucks. I much prefer Nick Petersen who at least is more open about his doucheyness and was responsible for the greatest moment in this franchise's history: ending of BP3.

If I recall, Nick P. was looking rough when he appeared on BiP last season.  I'm not into the alleged Nick Viall redemption, either, but at least he's handsome. Nevertheless, I agree on the awesome ending of Bachelor Pad 3.  For me, it's second only to the Bachelor season where Brad chooses no one.   

• Love 4
1 hour ago, thehepburn said:

I much prefer Nick Petersen who at least is more open about his doucheyness and was responsible for the greatest moment in this franchise's history: ending of BP3.

Totally agree.  Sadly, It's a time that will never come again.  It was magnificent. 

• Love 3

Sneak peak of Ashley I on Millionaire Matchmaker. She's talking about her "perfect man" Jared. According to her, he told her he didn't want to date her because he "couldn't stand not having her in his life" if they broke up. Which, if true, then fuck you, Jared. Not that Ashley is not a deluded drama queen, but I just hate when guys say shit like that.

• Love 6