Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Lonnie & Linda

Drogo

Wow, Lonnie was something else.  3 houses?  $750,000 in debt?  I'd divorce him.  I'd hate to holding that debt when he dies.

I was surprised Linda was able to purge so much.  Over 10 tons! according to the BSOJ.  I am worried about recidivism with her, though, with no therapy at all.

• Love 5

My husband kept wanting to see Lonnie's cars sold.   A couple of Rolls Royces might be enough to save their property and if that was a "real" Buggati it could have been worth more than all the rest. 

Lonnie's collections seem to fit into the 'my collection is worth 100 times more than anyone else would pay for it."  Have those ever ended sensibly? 

• Love 8

It motivates me to selllllllllllll! And I don't expect a fortune for my junk like these ding dongs do.

I was also thinking selling the cars would help pay off the debt but I get the feeling nothing is genuine in that hoard. Except maybe the skulls and brains.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Ah, Dr Melva Green has the most beautiful eyes on television and the voice of an angel!

She is gorgeous -- and more so now that she seems to have reigned in her eyeshadow colors.

This episode kinda bored me. The lady that got carried away from (I presume) watching too much Storage Wars was just meh. And Lonnie -- well, I knew the second they started showing off his garbage compound that he was never gonna let anything go. I will say that his homes were pretty clean and organized for someone with that kind of massive hoard. I'm not saying he lived in pristine conditions, but much better than a lot of other people with similar "collections."

I'm happy this show is back. 

I'm happy to see our handsome, lovable, kind guys - - Dr. Tolin, Matt, and my fave--Cory.

I love their ever-so-slightly chubbier cheeks and their wee-bit pudgier bellies. Cutie-patooties...!

(Cory is my man though. Mmmphh! Lol!) 

I notice and applaud their middle-aged spreads and graying hair, because those things mark that we've had many years together.

Welcome back our honorable,  handsome and kind-hearted knights-in-shiny-garbage-trucks. You are more noble than all 5 of Lonnie's knighthoods! 

And yes, it was great to see the lovely Dr. Green. She maintains her cool at times others might be inclined to knock a hoarder upside the head with a sail cat. 

Drug issues with Linda's daughter were not a surprise, but clean or not, she was being patient and helpful. She kept her cool when mommy dearest was a stone-cold bitch, that's for sure.

I am all for personal responsibility, but methinks Linda may want to seriously reflect on her contributions to that part of her daughter's make up. I'd bet a set of cobweb-encrusted doilies Linda was hard and cold long before her daughter ever picked up drugs.

Lonnie was no surprise, either. Talk about grandioise! Sheesh! His wife should give him a choice between keeping his treasures and being homeless or selling his crapola and paying the mortgage,  lest he  be divorced and homeless. 

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Scorpiosunshine said:

I'm happy to see our handsome, lovable, kind guys - - Dr. Tolin, Matt, and my fave--Cory.

I love their ever-so-slightly chubbier cheeks and their wee-bit pudgier bellies. Cutie-patooties...!

Loved your whole post, Scorpiosunshine. Dr Tolin is my favorite sweet baboo.  He makes me want to hoard up my house so he'll come and sit with me in the middle of it all, while we talk softly about stuff.

Lonnie and Linda were both motivated by a sort of greed that's, in some ways, uglier than the dirt-and-roaches Hoarders.  Linda talking about how excited she was over the first filled storage unit she bought  was so creepy.

• Love 5

If Lonnie is so worried about being forgotten, he should sell his crap and donate the money to a hospital for a new wing that would be named after him, or to a college for a new building.

Also, sounds like Linda will be back to amassing crap again in under six months.

• Love 11

Not that great but it was a relief that neither hoard was filthy with rotted food and dead critters.  

Yeah, there is more to Linda's story.  She is really cold.  The quick clean up in the end was kind of odd. 

Lonnie, not much to say.  I think he just wanted on the program to show off his collections.  

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

I liked when Cory asked Linda how much she thought she'd get if she could sell her whole hoard.  $3-4000, she said.  Then Cory offered her $4000 to haul away the whole thing.

She said NO.

It really illustrated a hoarder's disordered thinking in a nutshell.

Had a similar conversation with my almost-hoarder brother last week.  He has a set of World Book Encyclopedias, circa 1965, stacked in a single pile behind the desk in his 550sf apartment.  I pointed out that most of the information in them was useless, given countries changing names, etc., etc.  I suggested he get rid of them.  He said he was going to take them back and donate them to the thrift store where he had bought them for $4 a couple of months ago.  I offered to give him $4 if he'd just let me throw them in the dumpster.  He got real huffy with me and said he'd just throw them away on his own.  When hubby went over there yesterday, the books were still there.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Toaster Strudel said:

liked when Cory asked Linda how much she thought she'd get if she could sell her whole hoard.  $3-4000, she said.  Then Cory offered her $4000 to haul away the whole thing.

She said NO.

It really illustrated a hoarder's disordered thinking in a nutshell.

That was truly amazing, wasn't it?  You could almost see the exact moment her thought process went off the rails.

I really hoped Sandi would divorce him and take half, and sell most of the real estate.
A true collector, or even a novice, would know the importance of documentation.  Lonnie may be just a bs artist, or a schmuck that someone convinced to buy somethings that are fakes.

Linda was really unlikable.  So cold.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, dwarmed said:

Of course, Lonnie spent his auction earnings on publishing his autobiography. Not anything mundane, like the mortgage.

Um, does he know that if he had a well-written and interesting autobio, publishers would pay him, not the other way around. Lonnie was so full of hot air. He has a mental illness besides the compulsion to hoard. BTW, Matt's response to Lonnie's remark about never having a meaningful homosexual relationship was hilarious.

Linda was another truly unlikeable hoarder.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3

I'm really curious as to how long Lonnie will be able to hold on to his houses, since he's $750,000 in debt.  I would love to see an update at a later date to find out what happened to him.  His wife should have left him long ago, but if she has never worked (so no income), I guess she is figuring that for now, at least she has a roof over her head.  I don't know when this episode was filmed, but I did google Lonnie to see if there was anything posted elsewhere about him and the fate of his houses and collection.  The latest thing I could find was that he did open up his house(s) on 'Nevada Day(s)' in August 2016 and charged admission to see his collection.   Information was confusing, though, because apparently he's done this in years past and has charged $10 (listed as a voluntary 'donation') and also has charged $15 or $20 per person.  One article quoted his wife as saying that 2016 would be the last year that he would be opening up the house for tours.  He does have some reviews on yelp. 

I work in a library, and I've known people like Lonnie who have book collections that they think are worth a lot of money just because the books are old or they are on 'interesting' topics.  Just because a book was published in 1895 doesn't mean that it's worth anything.  But they insist that their collection is worth thousands of dollars, just because the books are old or because the person who sold the books to them said that the books had belonged to--insert famous name here--at one time.  They, like Lonnie, don't understand about provenance. 

I don't get the impression that the show is around for the long haul (I think maybe Matt referred to them as the Final Hoarders episodes?) but I really appreciate the return to the mentally disordered, but not outright pathologically disturbed hoarders.  These are people who function in the real world, take care of themselves quite ably (except financially), and aren't torturing innocent pets or children forced to live in their squalor.  Yes, it's still exploitation, but they're grownups, and they got some needed assistance (whether ultimately accepted or not).

Matt fans should check out his podcast (5 decisions away) if it still exists.  He stopped doing it a few years ago after the very worst Hoarder episodes aired and gave him PTSD, and his deal with Service Master was being finalized.  But it's really a fascinating listen -- he covers an amazing array of topics, not all hoarding related.  There was one episode with one of his employees, a recently released prisoner who had done 25 years for murder that was gripping.  

He also goes into depth about his own personal life, including his terrible gambling habit (made me nervous that he was in Vegas, but he appeared to be okay).  There are also occasional visits from the other people from the show -- Dr. Green has a really interesting backstory.  If I recall correctly she was a free spirit who just dropped everything and moved to Mexico one day.  Dr. Chabot is apparently a hoot at the bar after a shoot, and Dr. Zasio helped him a lot when he got triggered by being around gambling and the desperation of the last few horrific cases.  

It is NOT remotely family friendly, so if you don't appreciate raunch, don't go there.  But I was impressed with his candor and kindness and the way he brought so many stories to light.  And there's lots of hoarder stories, too.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 3

He stopped doing it a few years ago after the very worst Hoarder episodes aired and gave him PTSD

Was that the severely disturbed woman in Edmonds Washington? With the hoarded urine? That was definitely the worst I ever saw. Or maybe the violent family?

Well, I'll miss Hoarders, but I wish all the best to all the folks who worked on it, especially Matt. Hope he has a great, happy life with his family. And same wish to all the other kind, compassionate folks we've seen over the years.

Matt did say on his FB page that he was taking a year off to spend time with his family so these were the last few eps he was going to be in.   Not sure how much deeper that goes with the show in general.

If you watch History Channel, you've seen Lonnie and Mark Hall Patton - The Beard Of Knowledge - before.  Lonnie was on an episode of American Restoration a few years ago (when the show still followed Rick's Restoration).  Rick's son Tyler bought something off of Lonnie, and I think Rick's brother (can't remember his name) was with him.  I don't remember what he bought, but I remember Lonnie driving a hard bargain.  Mark Hall Patton appears on a lot of History shows in his capacity with the "Clark County Museum System". He's been on American Restoration, Pawn Stars (many times), and American Pickers (mainly on cross-over shows).

I remember reading an article a few years ago about the rise in popularity of unrealistic storage auction shows, and how people were flooding the market and losing their shirts, and those who work the business correctly were getting upset.  Linda clearly didn't get the memo that storage auction shows are rigged with valuable stuff.  She also apparently didn't get the memo that addiction is often hereditary, and she needs to look at her own addiction before criticizing others.  Linda is classic addict.  She blames everyone else but herself.  I am currently working a 12 step program for friends/family of addicts, and one thing we are taught is that you can't take anyone else's inventory (including the addict in your life), but yet that's what Linda is doing, and in the end, her daughter (who I believe when she says she's clean) may use her mother's behavior as an excuse to go back to drugs, because her mom is constantly accusing, so she might as well.  And her mother would feel nothing but validation.  Until Linda understands that she's an addict (addicts often come in the forms of things you might not think would be harmful on the surface - addicted to your job, to shopping, etc. ) and that her daughter likely got the Addictive Personality Disorder from her, I fear nothing will improve on that front.

Lonnie strode the line between genius and insanity for too long, and fell off and into the insanity side some time ago.  I'm sure his wife is overwhelmed, but the time to step-in and try to stop it has long passed.  He's just resentful now.

• Love 3

Hearing narcissists go on and on about their own amazingness makes me physically ill.   For me, having to watch and listen to Lonnie's delusions of grandeur was worse than seeing a bathtub filled with mystery fluids.  

• Love 6

I wondered how hard it would be to find his palace.  Not at all difficult. A google search turns up Lonnie's last name and Yelp for his address.  Then Google earth to see his place from satellite as well as street views. 

A quick way to see if it's been bull dozed.  (Ans. not yet, and his wife's house still looks tidy.)

I think Lonnie had some cool Vegas memorabilia but he had too much of it. If he whittled down his garbage collection and arranged everything nicely, his home could be quite a quirky showplace. As it stands, he lives in a what amounts to a residential city dump. 

He might have (or had, as the case may be) money but he has zero taste. 

On 12/21/2016 at 11:17 AM, kassa said:

He stopped doing it a few years ago after the very worst Hoarder episodes aired and gave him PTSD

Which episode was that?

On 12/21/2016 at 0:17 PM, AuntTora said:

Was that the severely disturbed woman in Edmonds Washington? With the hoarded urine? That was definitely the worst I ever saw. Or maybe the violent family?

Shitty Shana?

• Love 1
On 12/19/2016 at 1:29 AM, ChristmasJones said:

I love how this show motivates me to cleeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!! Yay Hoarders!!!

Whenever I know I need to do some cleaning out some closets (nothing like Hoarders), I watch a couple of episodes and it's amazing how motivated I get.  

• Love 2

From my recollection, Matt was most disturbed by the hoarder who had hundreds (thousands?) of cats and kept cat corpses in her fridge. I think that did everyone in. I read the second floor of the house was so horrific, they didn't show any of that footage. I can't even imagine how bad that must have been, considering they did show a kitten with empty eye sockets (eyeballs popped out because the ammonia level was so bad). I'll never be able to unsee that. 

ON 12/21/2016 AT 11:17 AM, KASSA SAID:

Toaster Strudel SAID

Which episode was that?

I don't remember specifically -- but presumably the final ones where the women were hoarding their (human) waste.  He didn't discuss them, but the timing was around then, and he said (never in relation to any one episode) that when you got into that kind of hoarding, there were pretty much always grotesque childhood sexual abuse issues.  He had a new baby and a very young son and I think the combination of starting family life, traveling for the show, and the whole sexual abuse of children thing combined to mess him up.  The shrinks have training in self care for that kind of emotional exposure -- the cleaners don't.

I'm glad the show has veered away (at least so far) from that kind of hoarder.  

Edited by kassa
  • Love 1

I cannot stand Linda. She is a terrible mother. How can you throw an addiction back in your sober daughter's face? Just wow.

i don't mind Lonnie. His hoard is pretty cool. He's just an eccentric old man. Let him have his fun and when he dies, sell the shit and there ya go. 

• Love 1
On 12/18/2016 at 9:48 PM, jacksgirl said:

Matt Paxton, if I weren't happily married, I'd track you down and propose. 

Heck, I might anyway. Hubby said he would love having Matt around.

I feel like American Pickers would have been a better fit for this guy's stuff.

• Love 2
On 12/18/2016 at 10:13 PM, Toaster Strudel said:

Dr Tolin is a truth machine... there is no escaping Dr Tolin!

Dr. Blue Eyes always gives me a thrill. A little balder, and a little heavier than he was in earlier seasons, but he's my all-time favorite. JudyObscure and I will have to have a catfight over him. ;-) He's so soothing and so honest without shaming anyone.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Heck, I might anyway. Hubby said he would love having Matt around.

I feel like American Pickers would have been a better fit for this guy's stuff.

He was on American Restoration back when they followed Rick's Restoration.  Rick's brother (Ron?) and Rick's son Tyler went to Lonnie's.  They decided then that most of it was worthless.  Some of the decent stuff he actually had he didn't want to part with, and the stuff he did want to part with was overpriced.  I remember they got a Shriners Parade car from him, and something else I can't recall.  Rick was happy with the car, but not so happy with the other item, and I believe he said they paid a little too much for the car (but I'm drawing on my memory - I may be wrong).

20 hours ago, Nowhere said:

i don't mind Lonnie. His hoard is pretty cool. He's just an eccentric old man. Let him have his fun and when he dies, sell the shit and there ya go. 

I would agree except it was upsetting his wife, given their financial troubles as well. He appeared to be a very selfish, self involved person to me; not good if you're married.

• Love 6
On 12/19/2016 at 7:32 AM, JudyObscure said:

Loved your whole post, Scorpiosunshine. Dr Tolin is my favorite sweet baboo.  He makes me want to hoard up my house so he'll come and sit with me in the middle of it all, while we talk softly about stuff.

Lonnie and Linda were both motivated by a sort of greed that's, in some ways, uglier than the dirt-and-roaches Hoarders.  Linda talking about how excited she was over the first filled storage unit she bought  was so creepy.

Side note:

Thank you, JudyObscure -- "Sweet baboo" is one of  my new favorite phrases. ?

On 12/24/2016 at 3:56 AM, Mrsjumbo said:

Yay, nice seeing Cory again. Sorry, Scorpio, we'll have to share. ?

Hehe, gladly! It's sort of like when you're eating a superb meal--it's so yummy that you don't mind others having a taste, lol!! ;)

• Love 4
On 12/19/2016 at 1:35 AM, Galloway Cave said:

I was also thinking selling the cars would help pay off the debt but I get the feeling nothing is genuine in that hoard. Except maybe the skulls and brains.

At the very least his Batmobile totally looked like someone who knew how to do body work made in their garage out of a regular car.

On 12/19/2016 at 0:21 PM, jtallman said:

If Lonnie is so worried about being forgotten, he should sell his crap and donate the money to a hospital for a new wing that would be named after him, or to a college for a new building.

Considering how much debt he had, he would need to sell a lot of stuff to first get to 0 and then get to a point where he could make a big enough donation to one of those places to make that kind of thing happen.

On 12/21/2016 at 0:56 PM, funky-rat said:

Mark Hall Patton appears on a lot of History shows in his capacity with the "Clark County Museum System". He's been on American Restoration, Pawn Stars (many times), and American Pickers (mainly on cross-over shows).

Instead of getting that guy to show up, A&E should have got some actual cross-network promotion going on, and got the guys from Pawn Stars to show up. Getting Rick to offer him $10 for everything in the house would have made me laugh my ass off.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

At the very least his Batmobile totally looked like someone who knew how to do body work made in their garage out of a regular car.

Instead of getting that guy to show up, A&E should have got some actual cross-network promotion going on, and got the guys from Pawn Stars to show up. Getting Rick to offer him $10 for everything in the house would have made me laugh my ass off.

Rick would have to call a friend/expert, lol, and he'd probably call Mark Hall Patton - he does a LOT.  And that makes me wonder, because someone showed up on a fairly early ep of Pawn Stars with a homemade Batmobile, lol.

On 12/26/2016 at 5:41 AM, dwarmed said:

From my recollection, Matt was most disturbed by the hoarder who had hundreds (thousands?) of cats and kept cat corpses in her fridge. I think that did everyone in. I read the second floor of the house was so horrific, they didn't show any of that footage. I can't even imagine how bad that must have been, considering they did show a kitten with empty eye sockets (eyeballs popped out because the ammonia level was so bad). I'll never be able to unsee that. 

I just watched that episode today. I don't remember the hoarder's name (Terry maybe?) but she had like 50 cats where all but 18 had to be euthanized and another 50-100 dead animals in her fridge and freezer. I don't think she even kept any real (human) food in the house, it was just one giant litterbox for all those poor cats. It was pretty disturbing. Another scary one was Shitty Shana, she kept dumping her piss/shit bucket in her front yard and had seemingly no idea how disgusting that was. She even said something about eating the last of her shit covered food as her "last hurrah" because all addicts get their last fix.. It was bizarre as hell. They finally said she was unfit to live alone...makes me wonder what happened to her.

Lonnie's collection was awesome. I wish I lived closer to Vegas cos I'd definitely be trying to take a peek in person.