Type keyword(s) to search

Dexter (The Original Series)

• Start Topic

This just struck me a while back, somewhere in Season 8 there was a flashback/hallucination of Dexter talking to his dead brother.  They were saying something like Dexter wanted to quit being a killer but did't know how. Brother says something like so where would you go?? Where do ex serial killers go?  I don't remember who said it or if both did, but the answer was Portland.  I think that is where he is, in Portland, OR as a lumberjack.  Or maybe I imagined it al?? :)

Oh and I really hated that Deb died too!!

• Love 1

I'm on Ep 9.

Tried to watch this when it was on Showtime because I liked the premise and Michael was coming off Six Feet Under, which I really liked, but I bailed after the first couple of episodes because I couldn't get invested in it.  I'm still not, but my GF is and we've been semi-binge watching (an episode or two per night when there isn't anything else on, 3 or 4 over the course of a weekend).

After sticking with it this time, I think I've figure out that my problem is: I think it's just not done well.  The characters are too OTT for what they're trying to portray, e.g., Rita's got bitchy pregnancy hormones so she goes off on Dexter for making a mess while he's making breakfast. Then she goes off on the daughter for drinking all the orange juice.  Then she goes off on the son because he needs a haircut.  Okay, we got it when you yelled at Dex; we don't need to be hit over the head with it.

Accents and language are another problem for me.  When Smits' character was drinking with Dexter he was starting to sound like Ricky Ricardo.  I get it, he was supposed to be drunk, but Jeebus.  Even when he's sober the accent doesn't ring true (forget the stereotypical pencil-thin mustache).  Same with Batista. But more jarring is the way they throw in the random Spanish words and phrases, like the writers are reminding us that the characters are Latino, and random cursing, like we need to be reminded that they're cops (the latter was a problem for me with Bloodline as well, but that's another thread).  I'm a potty mouth myself so the words don't offend me at all, but they don't seem to really flow like they would in normal conversation.  Annywayy...

I guess in summary the whole show's too broadly drawn for my taste.  On the plus side, I like Harry coming back to represent Dexter's inner monologue (although they did the same thing with the dead people, including that father, in Six Feet also).  

I'm planning to continue to stick with it - I want to see it through this time because I remember reading that the series finale was not considered to be stellar as compared to some other show.  So I'm curious.

Edited by Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf: yes season 3 is a little rough at times and characters are OTT but seasons 4 and 5 are IMHO the best 2 of the series so you should at least watch up to the end of season 5. Starting season 6, the show goes rapidly downhill and never recovers.

• Love 2

Okay, finished binge watching the entire series last night.  I was having my weekly "cheat meal" of pizza and wine so the details may be a bit fuzzy but in no particular order:

Every one of the alternate endings that have been suggested here would have been better than what we got, and I totally agree with most of the comments, e.g., I wasn't that invested in Harrison, it would have been great to get his colleagues' reactions to an exposed-for-what-he-was Dexter, no way could an undisguised Hannah have gone unrecognized for that long, etc.

The most glaring (read: unbelievable, out of touch with reality, would never happen) slap-in-the-face-that-took-me-out-of-the-moment was Dexter carrying Deb's sheet-wrapped corpse out of the hospital and onto his boat.  In broad daylight. Out of a fully staffed hospital. Through the parking lot swarming with people.  Down to the dock (by the way, does every public building in Miami have boat docks? The police station, the hospital...annywayyy....). And no one even notices.  I realize there was a hurricane a-brewin' which I guess was supposed to have had everyone distracted, but still...c'mon...

I assume that TPTB wanted an open ending re: Dexter's fate to have the possibility of a sequel or movie or second series or something. There's no reason that he couldn't resume serial killing while living his cover life as a lumberjack (all those axes and chainsaws and whatnot could be interesting), but it would have been more effective had he just sailed off into the hurricane.

Speaking of which, I think in a real hurricane he'd have capsized before he had a chance to dump Deb's body. That seemed to be a pretty weak weather event out there on the water compared to all the havoc being raised on land. Maybe he oh-so-conveniently sailed out during the eye.

Consistent with this season, and speaking of serendipity, I was amused at how during the entire series almost every time he broke into a victim's house Dexter would find some huge, plot-changing clue.  Some piece of physical evidence, an incriminating computer file (BTW, was Dexter a computer genius or what? He could get on any laptop for the first time and drill right to what he was looking for, instantly. The computers didn't even need time to boot up).

All that being said, I really did enjoy the series overall, largely due to Michael C. Hall, who I liked in Six Feet Under, and Lauren Valez, who I liked in Oz. I had tried to watch it on when it was on Showtime and couldn't get into it, but this time I hung in and I'm glad I did. It also motivated me to start reading the Dexter Morgan books, which (as is usually the case when compared to TV or a movie) are superior to the show, so, in the words of Carl Spackler, "I've got that going for me. Which is nice."   

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 4

I just finished watching Season 6 on Netflix and this season was a huge letdown from prior ones.  I either fell asleep with my finger on the FF button every.single.time. Olmos or Hanks came on screen.  Olmos' monotone delivery is enough to put me out and all I could see was Tom being a nice guy when his son came on as a murderer?!  On to season 7!

• Love 1

I liked Debra, she seemed completely authentic to me.  I liked how they threw into the storyline about Jaime and her boyfriend having tickets to go see the Avett Brothers!  LOL  I guess she and Dex were split and she was on with Seth!

• Love 2

Goodness. It took a decade but I finally started watching this week. So much praise and hoopla, but I sincerely don't get it! I dislike Lt. LaGuerta, Deb, Rita, and Dexter himself. With special loathing for sniveling, pasty-ass Rita.

And yes, I GET IT already with the flashbacks to Dexter's father. IMDB tells me that James Remar appeared in 85 episodes, which ugh.

I'm almost through season one and will probably push through the next for curiosity's sake (and also: retired now) and to try to figure out why I'm Bizarro on this. Personal idiosyncrasies!

On 12/27/2016 at 7:59 PM, Lord Donia said:

Goodness. It took a decade but I finally started watching this week. So much praise and hoopla, but I sincerely don't get it! I dislike Lt. LaGuerta, Deb, Rita, and Dexter himself. With special loathing for sniveling, pasty-ass Rita.

And yes, I GET IT already with the flashbacks to Dexter's father. IMDB tells me that James Remar appeared in 85 episodes, which ugh.

I'm almost through season one and will probably push through the next for curiosity's sake (and also: retired now) and to try to figure out why I'm Bizarro on this. Personal idiosyncrasies!

I would give it a chance. Ha at first I thought it was a bit overrated and Deb annoying. Then one day I realized I love the show and adore Deb. 

• Love 5

The first time I watched Dexter I completed it in just over a week.

I at first thought omg is this voice over gonna be all the way through it but by episode 3 I had gotten attached to the point all I wanted to do was watch Dexter and the little sleep I got I even dreamt about it, I am 100% Dexter fan and although the first watch through I had mixed emotions (very human of me) about the ending it didnt destroy it for me but i felt kinda dumped like in a relationship (i know sad!) I cried real tears.

Having kids myself the thought of leaving my kids makes me unable to continue that train of thought so it must of been awful for Dexter but to know that Hannah would raise and protect him I think helped sooth him, I've just finished watching it all again and again I've cried lol but nothing has changed I still feel the same way I love Dexter and if the end episode were different I think I'd still love it probably still ending in tears on my part.

Can't wait for my next Dexter marathon always 100% Dexter fan 

• Love 5

@Adiv91 I agree the voice over took getting used too. I find its in general a lazy device that tells rather than shows and can be audience manipulation. However it grew on me with Dexter. I think this show has some ambitious plots and goriness, also Dexter is so complex and unrelatable. So the folksy and simple talking to from him is a nice contrast. 

• Love 2

I absolutely hated what they did to James Doakes.  He was my favourite character, even though he was a big threat to Dexter.  I loved his lines and would burst out laughing every time he started his usual cussing.  He was a good cop (clearly, seeing as he was the only one with the instincts to see Dexter for what he was) and despite his harsh exterior, did actually care about people, but just didn't like to show it or get emotional (I personally don't have a problem with characters or people IRL like that).  He was KIA and didn't receive the hero police officer's funeral he deserved.

Yep, HATEDDDD Lila.  Ruined this season for me.  LOLed every time Debra said something caustic about her and said that she was gross.  Oh, and she's the one who killed Doakes, so that's the other main reason.

• Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2015 at 4:04 PM, roughing it said:

Me too.  I despised her as much as Deb did.  Titty vampire indeed.

But Dex keeps finding these psycho broads who want him throughout the run of the series! I just don't understand what satisfaction she could have gotten from killing the kids when all of them would have died in the fire! I just wished he had had more time to deal with her in Europe instead of needing to catch a flight! No one deserved to be bled to death like that b!tch! ;-)

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2015 at 2:56 PM, Mattipoo said:

Lone Wolf: yes season 3 is a little rough at times and characters are OTT but seasons 4 and 5 are IMHO the best 2 of the series so you should at least watch up to the end of season 5. Starting season 6, the show goes rapidly downhill and never recovers.

Watching S3 on a marathon run Xmas Weekend! It's hard to like any character because they all have such big mouths telling every thing they see and hear! Rita's no saint either blabbing about something she thought she knew to Sylvia! Miguel was not having an affair with LaGuerta! I can't believe I'm watching a series where a killer's the main protagonist; a freakin' serial killer! ;-)

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2015 at 0:15 PM, roughing it said:

Yes, this was the best season of the entire run - watching Dexter match wits with the Trinity Killer, with Deb and FBI Agent David Carradine (can't remember his character's name) in hot pursuit around every corner!!

Lundy was the name KEITH Carradine used! He and Deb were shot when they got too close to one of their "serial killers!" I just watch periodically so it's hard to keep it all straight; esp. when Dexter frames others to put the cops off the scent! ;-)

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 8:09 PM, Kalliste said:

This is also one of my favorites too. I think the 1st was probably my favorite overall and I find it hard to choose between season 4 and season 5 as second favorite.

Season 5 is repeating tomorrow on SHOWtime if you care! The marathon continues through the week! ;-)

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:22 PM, Petunia13 said:

I would give it a chance. Ha at first I thought it was a bit overrated and Deb annoying. Then one day I realized I love the show and adore Deb. 

Deb's probably a good person, but she was terribly annoying with her course and vulgar mouth! She's one that "had to know" something and at the same time couldn't keep it to herself; pretty much like a gossipy old woman! Her own curiosity and gullibility were her undoing! She's supposed to be so smart, but releases a killer who attacks her IIRC! Totally idiotic for a cop who should have felt "caution" the best thing to do at the time! ;-)

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 11:36 PM, Petunia13 said:

I dont like Hannah because Deb hated her and Deb is my favorite tv character ever.

There was a touch of corniness this season but I thought the cinematography was excellent and all the leads delivered great performances so I like

it. The ending was dramatic, tense, and controversial. It made me very edgy them angry. Haha.

Deb is not likeable unless you're into twisted, profane, and strong-willed idiots! I know it's how they wrote her, but she got on my fk'n nerves with her getting into everyone's business, whining, and so self-involved needing satisfaction at every turn! Her bosses say to drop something and she goes right ahead investigating! IRL she would have been fired early on just by having such a trashy mouth! The way she spoke in front of the FBI agents was so rude! When she totally flipped out after discovering Dexter killing Travis, I knew she wasn't long for this world! Her guilt would overwhelm her! Shooting LaGuerta later to protect Dexter showed she had already gone over the edge! ;-)

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 1

Just watched the S7 Finale! I can't believe LaGuerta went as far as to arrest Dexter with no real, tangible proof! What did she expect him to do; confess like some other hood? She truly had to be desperate to pull such a thing and embarrass herself like that! She assumed Hector was dead when she needed something more than assumptions to charge a fellow officers/blood tech! Normally I'd feel sorry for her, but her bull-headedness; sorta like Deb's went too far in an investigation when told to back off! They had to face the consequences I guess; LaGuerta getting shot and Deb going nuts with guilt of her hypocrisy trying to protect Dexter! I didn't feel sorry for either! ;-)

• Love 1

This was my first time watching season two. I might re-watch the first season (I saw it four years ago). Hate what they did to Doakes, and hate even more, that they made the British woman so many awful things, rolled into one. 

Aw, he actually loves his family. He isn't just worried about losing his cover. 

I've seen spoilers, so I know what happens, though. :( At least as far as this season.

I don't like him with Hannah, because I liked Rita. When he realized he actually was in love with her, it felt real. They were married, he saw her kids as his own - this is just wrong. I don't like dopey Dexter. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm watching the last season now. I'll post the unpopular opinion: I wouldn't have wanted Harrison to have been next in line to be a serial killer. He's Rita's legacy, too. I really liked her. 

I don't like Hannah, but I mentioned in another thread that it feels disrespectful to his relationship with Rita. I bought his really falling in love with HER, but not this true serial killer love, be still my beating heart rubbish. 

I'm sad to hear that Deb dies. She's been the most realistic with her responses to everything. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Have you finished watching the finale season yet?  Just curious.  Where is the thread you are referring to above? 

Not yet. I was just put off by the woobie love returning. She tried to kill his sister! But bygones, right? All for twu wuv. 

Another thread here. I guess season 7. 

Edited by Anela
On 12/28/2017 at 5:37 AM, Fiero425 said:

Deb is not likeable unless you're into twisted, profane, and strong-willed idiots! I know it's how they wrote her, but she got on my fk'n nerves with her getting into everyone's business, whining, and so self-involved needing satisfaction at every turn! Her bosses say to drop something and she goes right ahead investigating! IRL she would have been fired early on just by having such a trashy mouth! The way she spoke in front of the FBI agents was so rude! When she totally flipped out after discovering Dexter killing Travis, I knew she wasn't long for this world! Her guilt would overwhelm her! Shooting LaGuerta later to protect Dexter showed she had already gone over the edge! ;-)

I depised Deb to death. I only found her a bit more tolerable as time went on because I got used to her. But yes, she drove me crazy just like that obnoxious Doakes guy did.

Also, Hannah sucked. God, what were the writers thinking. Could she be any more bland?

Edited by KatsDivision
  • Love 1

You are on quite a ride, my friend.  Like other criticially acclaimed series, the show kind of goes off the rails around season 5-6-ish.  But we stayed and watched until the end.  I won't watch again, there are too many other shows that I want to see, but I have enjoyed seeing reruns every once in a while.  Dexter was one of my favorites.

• Love 2

Showtime had a binge so I was watching this again and now that I have a bit less attachment then I did before I don't hate Hannah as much as a use to.  Honestly I still wish the show had gone in different directions and the last half of the last season was probably the weakest of the series and the last few minutes felt like the writers just through something together like they told the show ended five minutes before they wrote it.    I loved Rita and if there was a replacement for her I would have preferred it be Lumen or even in a weird way Debra.  Dexter and Debra's relationship was always the heart of the show.....if anything I think the writers were telling us that Dexter had already walked away from his Dark Passenger played Harry and Debra was his heart so when she died there was only silence.

They just did it badly.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Kozz said:

Where are the episode by episode discussions of Dexter?

I don't know if there ever were any but there aren't any now. I just started watching this year on Netflix and spoiled myself on this thread at first so I stopped reading it.  I'm up to Season 5 episode 8. When this first came on I had no desire to watch a show about a serial killer but finally decided to give it a try and it's not like I thought and I'm enjoying it.

• Love 4
On 3/22/2019 at 5:23 AM, AngelKitty said:

I don't know if there ever were any but there aren't any now. I just started watching this year on Netflix and spoiled myself on this thread at first so I stopped reading it.  I'm up to Season 5 episode 8. When this first came on I had no desire to watch a show about a serial killer but finally decided to give it a try and it's not like I thought and I'm enjoying it.

Exactly the same situation for me. Maybe the show was on too long ago to have been discussed here. Bummer! I have so many thoughts on this show. Oh, well. Enjoy! 🙂

• Love 3

I'm rewatching the series on Netflix. My God, I forgot how much I loathed Lila! Ugh, and not in a hate watch sort of way. Hate her! And I can't even articulate why exactly (anyone have any thoughts). Maybe it's just that she tries way too hard "look at me! I'm so creative and i use my sexuality/sexiness as an idenity? That, and her stupid smirky face. Ugh, hate!

• Love 4

So Mr. A and I finished watching the other night. For the most part, I was entertained by this show. It did get a little crazy the last few seasons. A subject like this really can't go on forever.

I tell you one thing, after realizing Dexter had abandoned me, I would have shipped that kid right to Orlando. Let his normal grandparents and his normal siblings take care of him.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

So Mr. A and I finished watching the other night. For the most part, I was entertained by this show. It did get a little crazy the last few seasons. A subject like this really can't go on forever.

I tell you one thing, after realizing Dexter had abandoned me, I would have shipped that kid right to Orlando. Let his normal grandparents and his normal siblings take care of him.

Ironically I loved Lila but you can’t go by me.  I also liked Luman.  If the show had kept her and avoided Hannah it would have been an interesting match.  Dexter learning to live again as Luman did.  

I thought Lila made an interesting villain because she used her sexuality the way she did and did it to a psychopath like Dexter someone who has mostly avoided sex.   It was an interesting juxtaposition.  Plus it turned into a fun stalker storyline.  Dexter being stalked by not one but two people who saw through his mask. One who fell in love with his monster (Lila) and one who wanted to destroy it (Doakes).

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/31/2017 at 10:09 AM, Petunia13 said:

@Adiv91 I agree the voice over took getting used too. I find its in general a lazy device that tells rather than shows and can be audience manipulation. However it grew on me with Dexter. I think this show has some ambitious plots and goriness, also Dexter is so complex and unrelatable. So the folksy and simple talking to from him is a nice contrast. 

I just started watching because I found season 1 and 2 in a local thrift store last week, $4 each, not a bad deal!  I didn't think I'd enjoy this show, but I'd heard about it and thought "why not?" 

Anyway, in the DVD commentary on a season one episode (could be the finale, not sure) the producers/writers talk about the voice overs, and I liked what they said.  They all agreed they tried very hard to not have voice overs advance plot lines in an exposition way, and they hated that in shows.  They said, with Dexter, who really has absolutely no one to share his real feelings (or lack of feelings rather) or true self/thinking with, voice overs had to do that.  It was the only possible way to know what the characters was thinking.

Anyway, went ahead and ordered the rest of the seasons, should be here in a week. 

Sad about the ending being disappointing to so many...but hey, most series endings are, so I'm kind of used to it.

Finding a great series ending is like finding a unicorn.  Or, you know, a Vince Gilligan.

Edited by Umbelina
s
  • Love 3

So, I've finished the series. 

The season that bored me the most, or at least, I struggled to get through, was the one about the religious killings.  I normally like Colin Hanks quite a bit, and I did here too, but honestly, the season itself was a slog.

I was so prepared by comments and reviews to detest the final season and the finale that I ... didn't.  I think I may have been expecting it to be so horrible, and instead, it did have me on the edge of my seat, and interested all the way through.  I thought the psychiatrist "mother" was the brain killer for a long time though.

I liked the changes in Dexter, finding out he did care about some people after all, and the questions it raised about his initial diagnosis and treatments. 

I was sad that Deb died, but wow, what a fantastic run she's had on this show, I mean, for an actress, was there anything she didn't get to do?  Great role, and had she not died, I think the questions about what would happen to her, still caught in her web of lies, would be endless.  Also, she pretty much had to die, or raise her nephew, which...again, not sure I would have loved that many loose ends at the end.

I understood why Dexter left his son with Hannah, and disappeared into whatever logging area he was at.  He loved Hannah and Harrison, and staying with them, sooner or later, would only bring them pain, and probably death, as it did Deb.

I would have loved to read the reactions and speculations of everyone in the forums back when this was airing.  Do I think he went back to killing the guilty?  Probably, maybe not as intensely, or without the "need."  I don't think he will form any new relationships though.

Sad but to me, kind of fitting end.

• Love 5

Just wandered over here to say I forgot how much I adored season 5. Seasons 1-4 are great, with 4 being an apex of genius, but man 5 is just satisfying in a way no other season ever was before or after.

The Lumen plot with Jordan Chase and his minions plus Deb/Quinn and Batista/LaGuerta relationship drama really gave the show a chance to play out all kinds of stories. The series could have ended right there for me.

I think part of the reason I despised the end of the series is that Hannah McKay held no interest to me after Lumen. She was like Lumen-light, and I hated the fact that Dexter talked about Hannah being the first person to "see" him or whatever when I just kept screaming at the screen "NO THAT WAS LUMEN REMEMBER HER?!" 

I waited in vain for Julia Stiles to return in some great plot twist but no, it was creepy, boring Hannah McKay til the end and she even got Harrison. 

Pre-GoT, I was a weirdo: If Lumen wasn't coming back, I wanted Deb and Dexter to run off together. 😛 But I had NO use for Hannah, and wanted a happy ending for Deb. What it turned into was just such an abomination. 

• Love 5

Watching for the first time and midway through season 2. Thoughts so far: 

I was so smug that I figured out the doctor Debra was dating was the "Ice Truck Killer" the moment he showed up but was completely surprised that he turned out to be Dexter's brother!

When all the remains of Dexter's kills were found on the ocean floor:

giphy.gif

I don't like Dexter with Lila after breaking up with Rita. Not just because she's CRAAAAZY but also she looks like the teenage girl who played Alex on Lost.

Keith Carradine looks more like his late brother David as he's gotten older.

• Love 4

I am really late to Dexter.  I have had it on my list forever and finally pulled the trigger a little while back and found this forum.  I am on Season 4 and went into the show knowing about Deb's death and an ending that disappointed most, but I am here for the journey. 

At this point, I have about 4 episodes left of season 4.  I am enjoying the trinity killer story.  I enjoy Dexter as a character, but I am surprised at the amount of love that Deb has on here.  Maybe she just hasn't "grown" on me yet, but she annoys me in ways that I find hard to explain.  Maybe cause up to this point, she makes what I would consider bad decision after bad decision and comes off as awkward on the screen for me.  I feel Jennifer Carpenter plays the character well, I am in reference to how the character is written.

Deb aside, my main gripe with this show is the supporting cast.  I just don't have a strong connection with any of them.  Dexter himself and his cat and mouse games is what draws me, just wish the side stories were fleshed out better.

• Love 2

Bringing this topic to the top to see if anyone else is doing a binge rewatch in preparation for the Dexter reboot. I agree with most of what’s been said on this thread. If Dex wasn’t with Rita than Lumen is my choice. Bland, blonde Hannah just wasn’t believable as a serial poisoner or a partner for Dex. Lila was cringeworthy in too many ways to count. The religious killers could have been a great season arc but was written and acted badly. I say this as a fan of Edward James Olmos. 
Deb was annoying when introduced and her swearing was overdone. Also could someone please give the actress a sandwich? But Deb became the moral center of the show. When she killed Laguerta it was the most heartbreaking moment of the entire series, including Rita’s death. Debra sacrificing her entire moral code and identity for Dexter was some damn fine writing. I hated that the writers sidestepped her dangerous living as a perfectly reasonable response to that kind of conflict and trauma by making it part of her new job. I would love to see more of Deb and how she dealt with this in the long term.
I’m watching Season 8 now, the one season I never watched in its entirety and Charlotte Rampling is creepy as the Pygmalion of psychopaths. I’m curious to see how I react to the ending when actually watching it and not reading descriptions on sites like this. Anyone else looking forward to at least seeing what Teflon Dexter can possibly be doing?

• Love 2

I’m not doing a rewatch, but I’m excited for the new season. I appreciated Deb’s swearing. I’m not sure she swore more than Doakes and it read as fine on him. I try not to comment on women’s bodies, but understand your point. I think Jennifer Carpenter is healthy and that’s what matters.

I hated Hannah.

• Love 6