Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Dexter (The Original Series)

While his poor, innocent child is in a foreign country with a heartless killer?

I found this to be one of the most unbelievable aspects of the finale. Dexter wanted Harrison to have a normal and happy life. Sending him to Argentina with Hannah wouldn't accomplish that. With Deb dead, I figured Dexter would have left Harrison with Batista.

I always loved Deb. I hated that she died at all, much less the way she died. 

• Like 5

I’m reviewing season 8 in preparation for watching Dexter:New Blood.  I’m surprised at how much I had forgotten.  I really hate they ruined so much back then. Still, giving it another chance.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 6:52 PM, Elizzikra said:

I found this to be one of the most unbelievable aspects of the finale. Dexter wanted Harrison to have a normal and happy life.

Yeah, Dexter had good intentions but as Ghost Harry told him, serial killers don't have happy families or home lives. He never loved or cared about anyone, not even his child.

So, he ended up destroying everyone around him - Rita (who he used and to whom he did nothing but lie) dead because of him, her children turned into orphans because of him, his sister emotionally wrecked and victimized twice by Dexter's girlfriend, decent people like Laguerta and Doakes dead, and his child abandoned in a foreign country with another heartless killer.

His final act of selfishness was dumping Deb into the water to join all the murderers and scum, denying Angel, Quinn, and others who actually cared about her the opportunity to even say goodbye.

Dexter's reaction to all this was along the lines of, "Why doesn't anything work out for ME?"

On 11/7/2021 at 11:34 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m reviewing season 8 in preparation for watching Dexter:New Blood.

I can't rewatch that horrible, insulting crapfest. "Daughter boobs", anyone? I only watched it all the first time to see Dex get what he deserved, but he never did.

• Like 1

They are valid points AngelHunter.  I think that tv writers have this irresistible impulse to throw characters into certain situations for drama sake, without consideration for how it will impact the story.  Dexter marrying and becoming a parent…..family man, was just ill conceived, imo.  The show suffered because of it.  The murder of Rita changed my feelings about the show and it never recovered.   Then….bringing in Hannah….more garbage writing, imo.  They abandoned the core of the show, which was protecting innocent people and stopping serial killers.  It made a wrong turn and kept going til it went over the cliff.  Granted, even killing the serial killers was illegal and wrong, but more tolerable than the ship show that they ended up with.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2021 at 12:28 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

They abandoned the core of the show, which was protecting innocent people and stopping serial killers.

Dexter was never a vigilante and didn't give a shit about any of the victims of the people he killed. He's a sociopath and killed because that was the only time he felt alive, the only way he could get a thrill that made his heart beat fast. Without Harry's code instilled in him - which all came down to "Don't get caught" - he would have been just like Brian.

Most of the people he killed deserved it, but that's not why he killed them. He was all ready to murder Quinn and Laguerta, for finding about him and they certainly didn't deserve it. His wants and needs always came before anyone else's. He really was and is a  monster.

• Like 1

I thought the first season of Dexter was a little slow, but the series hit its stride in Seasons 2 and 3. I agree with the poster from the first page that 4 and 5 (up until the 5th season finale) were the best. I used to watch the show as it was airing live and I remember frantically looking at the clock and dreading 9 pm because I knew the show was about to end on a cliffhanger. Season 5 was set to be the most intriguing season of a show ever and the finale was the most disappointing thing I've ever seen. The forums were full of all these interesting speculative twists about who the real bad guy was, and nope, there were no twists. Just a bad guy who once again seriously underestimates Dexter and takes way too long to kill his victim, naturally giving Dexter a lot of time to come in and save the day.

Season 6 sucked and the series never got better.

I did read on Reddit that Season 5 towards the end was actually hastily rewritten on the fly, because Julia Stiles was supposed to become a series regular and was written off the show due to her and Michael C. Hall having a thing while he was still married to Jennifer Carpenter. I haven't read anything besides that that confirms this but it would make a lot of sense as the show seriously went sideways and Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter did break up around that time.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

On 11/30/2021 at 8:48 AM, Tatum said:

I haven't read anything besides that that confirms this but it would make a lot of sense as the show seriously went sideways and Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter did break up around that time.

Years ago I read (I wish I could find the article) that the breakup came after MCH's bout with cancer. His own father died at 39 from cancer and MCH was also 39. This made him decide he didn't want to have any children, either because he was afraid he wouldn't be around to watch a child grow up or maybe that the child might get cancer too.

Jennifer badly wanted a baby so they split up. That they were able to continue working together and seem to have remained friendly makes me think that was actually the case.

• Like 3