Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Pick Your Poison

He's been in the credits as a regular for some time now.

I like Sherlock's compromise with Shinwell - since he couldn't convince him to get out of the undercover business, he's going to teach Shinwell how to do it so he doesn't get caught and killed.

I called Munchausen by proxy fairly early in the episode. What a horrible thing to do to your child - I don't blame the young man for killing his mother; but Joan was right - he should not have killed the doctor.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Trey said:

I called Munchausen by proxy fairly early in the episode

Ok, glad I wasn't the only one. I actually checked the time stamp when they introduced the son because I thought I had accidentally skipped ahead to the reveal. Nope, just over 17 mins in I said out loud "he killed her because of Munchausen by Proxy", then spent the rest of the episode trying to talk myself into thinking that was a red-herring. I've gotten so used to some of these cases having implausible twists and turns that I figured that theory would be debunked shortly. 

I continue to lust after Joan's black coat. 

• Love 5

He figured it out because his shady doctor acted like a doctor for once and told him. His mother, whilst doctor-shopping, had called one of the burner phones of the other doctors Krieg had stolen med license info from. His mom called this other doctor, unaware that she was leaving a message on Krieg's machine, and in her message left details about the kid's health history that did not jibe with what she had told Krieg. So Krieg figured out it was Munchausen, and told him. She played the message for him, so he could hear his mom lying about his health history.

• Love 6

This was much more straightforward than the plots have been of late. I figured the son as the perpetrator as soon as they introduced him. But there was too much coincidence going on. The OD that led to the scripts in Watson name and put them on the trail of the identity thief brought Holmes and Watson to the doctor's office within an hour of the women being murdered. They could have done it just as easily without Watson being a suspect. The receptionist would have come in the next morning and found the bodies. The police would have gotten in touch with Watson once they found the packing slips showing prescription pads in her name and the investigation would have proceeded as it did.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

But there was too much coincidence going on. The OD that led to the scripts in Watson name and put them on the trail of the identity thief brought Holmes and Watson to the doctor's office within an hour of the women being murdered.

I thought that was a very large coincidence  but then I figured I had missed some point that made it follow logically. Thank you for confirming my first impression.

I think with this one rather than going the super twisty twist route, they instead swapped in a "you will care more because it directly impacts one of our main characters" as if that's automatically interesting. As in, yes, it's an awfully convenient coincidence, but they were doing it on purpose. The point was "wow look at this improbable thing," which didn't really work for me, but I do think it's what they were going for.

• Love 1

Ugh, stop trying to make Shinwell happen, show! I've got nothing against Nelsen Ellis but the character is just a wet blanket and totally uninteresting. 

This was much more straightforward than the plots have been of late.

Agreed. Aside from all the boring Shinwell crap I found the mystery pleasantly straight-forward. 

• Love 1

Did anyone else notice in the Doctor's office, as they advance into what Sherlock thinks is a crime scene, he carefully opens two doors and checks a corpse with his bare hands, and only then puts on gloves to check evidence? I was like "Did he really just do that..."

• Love 1

I don't mind Shinwell.

Too many episodes of Antiques Roadshow made me wonder if it his restoration of the chess table was one of those where restoration destroys all the value, but it's so trashed it's useless if you don't!

• Love 5
On 12/19/2016 at 5:35 PM, paigow said:

Mysterious Auto Immune disease = Poisoning?  You guys are faster than Sherlock!!

There was a time a while back when every show had a Munchausen story - so the markers (hovering mother, child sick from a mysterious disease) became pretty obvious.

9 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Did anyone else notice in the Doctor's office, as they advance into what Sherlock thinks is a crime scene, he carefully opens two doors and checks a corpse with his bare hands, and only then puts on gloves to check evidence? I was like "Did he really just do that..."

Yep, I had that thought too. Though to be fair, on that type of door knob (handle really) you can open it without pressing your fingertips onto a surface. But I don't recall if Sherlock opened it that way.

Sherlock's response to Shinwell's restoration made me feel a little sorry for Shinwell. Though I love the actor, I haven't been too fond of the character, and this is probably the first time I really felt for him. (I lie, watching  his daughter from a distance was the first time). It really was a lovely, thoughtful gift. But of course, you need to ask permission before messing with other people's property.

Edited by Clanstarling
because I remembered the first time I really felt for Shinwell
  • Love 5

Too many episodes of Antiques Roadshow made me wonder if it his restoration of the chess table was one of those where restoration destroys all the value, but it's so trashed it's useless if you don't!

That was my first thought, too. The way Sherlock was staring at it, I thought, "Oh, please don't tell me that thing was a precious antique and Shinwell in all his good intentions just destroyed the thing..." I thought it was very thoughtful of him to do such a thing, and was disappointed for him that it turned out to be not so.

I kept hoping that maybe Sherlock would say that Shinwell was obviously crap at undercover work but - in light of the quality restoration work he'd done on the table - perhaps he had other talents he needed to explore.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

While I agree with all that was said about about Shinwell's restoration project, I admit I LOL'd when Sherlock ultimately concluded that it was an appropriate gift because he had destroyed evidence for him, and now....

• Love 6

Way behind on a lot of my television viewing, but I finally caught this one.  The case was pretty good.  I originally pegged the dad, since I never can trust a William Ragsdale character(see: Gary Hawkins on Justified), but once it was obvious that he didn't do it, Ethan was the only one we ever got any real screentime with, so I figured it was him somehow.  Hell of a motive.  I can actually even understand why he did what he did to his mother, but as Joan said, killing the doctor who; while illegally selling drugs, still tried to help him; does make him less sympathetic, and I can see why Joan didn't want to speak to the DA for him or strike any deal.

Should have known Joan getting her identity stolen would be solved quickly.  CBS tends to always overhype moments that ended up not factoring much on this show.

The sight gag of the dumb on the table with the knife in its back cracked me up.  Especially Joan's nonplussed reaction.  At this point, that's almost normal for her to walk into.

So, Shinwell is continuing to work as an informant for the Bronx PD this time, and Sherlock is going to train him, so he doesn't get himself killed.  I still don't mind the character (mainly due to Nelsan Ellis), but I'm still wondering what the long-term plan is with him.  Right now, it still feels like he is following the same steps they already did with Kitty.

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:45 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

I was sure it was going to turn out to be part of the frame up of Joan, because we have a Doctor under suspicion who walks in on the corpse of the Doctor who was supposedly framing her. Wouldn't that set alarm bells ringing among IA? I get that WE know that Joan is innocent, but why should they believe it? But evidently everyone else just went, "Sure - that sounds legit!" I was actually expecting it to be part of a bigger plan to frame Joan and/or Sherlock, but the police just accepted their explanation.

And just once, I'd like to see IA are presented as the good guys (or at least, not actively hostile). Why should they tell you what the evidence is against Joan? I mean, we know you're a trustworthy guy who would never destroy inconvenient evidence... Oh, wait...

• Love 3