Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Hearts Still Beating

halgia
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

As a parent, don't you hate watching your kid be publicly reprimanded?

In a small way, I laughed when Negan told Rick that Carl had broken in and machine-gunned down some of his men. So, Negan had to bring back Carl to ASZ. Did anyone else see Rick cut a stink-eye at Carl?

I could almost hear Rick: "Damn it, Lori. I thought you trained him better?!?"

I noticed that too.  That look made Carl forget all about Olivia and move into the traditional 'But DAAAAAAAD!!' stance.

• Love 9

Rick coming out of his fetal position was fabulous. Now he needs to find his machete.

Morgan and Ezekiel please take a cue from Michonne. See how she complied with what Savoir woman wanted and put a bullet in her? Leave Carol alone!

And Carol, stop accepting the goodies left at your door. If you hate to see them go to waste return them to the Kingdom. 

I was glad Eugene stepped up and admitted to being the bullet maker. 

And now for the most important thing. Who will Rick hire as Judith's new nanny?

11 hours ago, ToniG said:

And Rick's balls grew 3 sizes that day...

I'd say 6 sizes LOL

• Love 2
9 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I was surprised that Michonne killed Red; that doesn't seem like her.  But I think Michonne believes they're at war with the Saviours and she had to make sure Red kept her mouth shut.

I thought Red basically asked Michonne to kill her and she did. I didn't think she did it to keep Red quite, though as I type I did wonder why Michonne was telling Red she was planning to fight.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Given all that went on this episode, the closing scene with that orgasmic mind meld when Rick's group met seemed totally out of place.  What the hell was there to smile about?

My thought when they were showing the circle of smiling faces at the end was that it was a callback to the circle of terrified faces kneeling in front of Negan from last season's finale. If I cared more I would go back and see if they showed the faces in the same order (well, minus Glenn and Abraham, and adding in Tara and Jesus).

• Love 5
  9 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I was surprised that Michonne killed Red; that doesn't seem like her.  But I think Michonne believes they're at war with the Saviours and she had to make sure Red kept her mouth shut.

I think Red also was kind of asking to be killed. 

2 hours ago, luna1122 said:

JDM really needs the beard. He looks old, scrawny, saggy and dorky without it.

Amen. 

I'm not convinced that Michonne killed Red. All we saw was a long shot of the car pulling into the woods, then pulling out a few seconds later and heading in the opposite direction. I think Michonne let her go.

• Love 2
Just now, maystone said:

I'm not convinced that Michonne killed Red. All we saw was a long shot of the car pulling into the woods, then pulling out a few seconds later and heading in the opposite direction. I think Michonne let her go.

On Talking Dead, they listed Red in the "memorium' sequence. That was the only way I got that Michonne had killed her myself. I was not at all clear on that before.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, BonnieD said:

My favorite line of the night...
Negan Henchperson #132: You like to watch?
Eugene: Yes.

For some reason that cracked me up a ridiculous amount. Maybe because comic lines are so few and far between in this show.

That was the best! Especially because I answered, "Oh yes, he does!" before Eugene even spoke. I got such a huge chuckle, my husband had to double check what I was watching. 

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, GodsBeloved said:

And now for the most important thing. Who will Rick hire as Judith's new nanny?

I'm trying to think if there's another character I currently can't stand, so we can get them killed off next. Hmmm, maybe Gregory?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, maystone said:

I thought I hear a shot. Also Red told Michonne there was a silencer and the shot did sound like it was from a gun with a silencer.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Between Rosita's moronic act first and think later approach, and Aaron keeping that stupid note with the supplies that he and Rick brought back, I just get tuned out of this show when the writing gets to be that stupid. 

It's probably the closest to Curb Your Enthusiasm this show has gotten. "Hey what's this note?" Brr brp brp Dededededede

• Love 3

This show has become repetitive, with villains of the season each badder than the previous.

Now it's throwing out nonsense.

Carl and Rosita shoot at Negan and other people get killed for it?

And previously, they couldn't get to Hilltop no matter how many different routes they took, in the dark.

But here, they just leisurely drive over there in broad daylight, find Maggie and Daryl there, who are hiding from Negan, and they all hug it out.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Speaking of Carol, I was hoping we'd get more of the actual KINGDOM, and not just visitors at Carol's Sulk Shack. Carol has been my favorite since Hershel was killed, but damn. I am so bored of her little emo routine. Here's a thought - if you truly want to be left alone, don't bunk down at a house that's just a stone's throw away from where people who know you are staying. 

Granted, I don't like Carol anyway, but now I really don't like her.  I'm sick of her whining about wanting to be alone, yet expecting a knock at the door with Morgan or Ezekiel or someone else bringing her pomegranates and shit.  I especially hate Morgan for sucking up to her.  If she wants to be alone, then leave her ass alone.  See how she deals with that. 

I wish Rosita had been shot instead of Olivia.

Maggie chomping down on that apple made my teeth hurt.  I think she's too full of herself and I never liked her.  

• Love 8

It's so very wrong that JDM just isn't attractive without stubble.

I definitely got the vibe that Red wanted to be taken out. She gave Michonne what she needed to actually hatch a plan ( hint Rosita and Carl you can't just pop in) Michonne now has a much bigger scope on what they need. There are obviously people in Negan's camp that aren't drinking the Kool-aid, they just want to survive. Dwight might even be one of them, although probably his ex-wife slipped Darryl the key. Darryl needs to sack up quick.

I guessed that Negan wasn't going to like a rat like Spencer, won't miss him.

• Love 3

This is the first episode I've watched this season. 

I thought people were exaggerating when they said this show had gone bad. I'm sad to say that they were being generous. This had to be the worst episode I have ever watched of TWD.  Just absolutely horrid. How has this show fallen so far? Even the characters who are usually mesmerizing seemed to be muted and thus boring in their individual storylines. Darryl's escape and Rick and Aaron trapped with a bunch of walkers on the water should've been thrilling ala Rick being stuck under the bed in 4x12 (?) and the battle for Alexandria mid season last year, but both moments fell flat. 

I like JDM, but he is horrible here. Negan's goons are a bunch of sadistic assholes. I agree with Darryl, none of them are "just trying to get by" by staying with Negan, they are agreeing with and taking part in his insanity. 

Spencer is punk and deserved the gutting he received. 

Rosita got balls, I'll give her that.  Again, JDM is horrible here. His temper tantrum after Rosita failed to kill him was just awful. Terrible acting. 

Rick and Michonne's scene at the end was the best thing about this episode. Danai and Andy brought it in spades. Excellent dialogue, acting and chemistry. I love their relationship. They don't always agree, but they work through their issues. Always have, even before they became a couple.  I will say I also enjoyed the end scene with the main gang being back together. It was good to see that. 

The less I say about Carol and Morgan the better. Not really here for their ongoing nonsense.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I know she's all pissed off, but use your head, woman. What kind of timing was that? Just whip out your gun and try and shoot Negan in front of a giant crown, WHILE he's swinging his stupid bat around?

I think that's precisely what got her to snap. I had the feeling that she was bidding her time and waiting for the perfect opportunity, but Negan killing another of her exes* and threatening people swinging his penis substitute around  triggered a flashback. She looked in a daze when she pulled the gun.

*She didn't love Spencer but she seemed to consider him as a friend/like him or she wouldn't have accepted dinner imo.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GodsBeloved said:

I thought Red basically asked Michonne to kill her and she did. I didn't think she did it to keep Red quite, though as I type I did wonder why Michonne was telling Red she was planning to fight.

Thanks for explains that. I will admit I was confused by the cut away from the close up to the long shot. I liked how Red preferred to die over going back to the Saviors. I didn't know if she was afraid of what Negan might do to someone she cares about as what he surely would've seen as a fairly on her part. I'm surprised one of Negan's people have just risen up and offed him. 

1 hour ago, GodsBeloved said:

Because Michonne planned to kill her regardless.

For the most part, I not only enjoyed this episode but certain scenes really just spoke right directly to my heart, for example the conversation between FPP and Rosita and then later what Richard was saying to Carol and Morgan. Things were said in those scenes that I personally really needed to hear, especially last night.

I was very concerned when Aaron and Rick flopped up on the houseboat, they landed right on top of a walker, good thing it was dead dead! I dont really think the booted person poisoned the loot (but who knows?), I think the note was just pointing out what a pyrrhic "victory" whomever just gained with that loot (but again, who knows right now?)

Finally.....man I love Carol, I really do. Like for me personally, she is my TWD Xena (hardcore nutball that I am). I admire her and even though a LOT of viewers just do not understand her and see her as being super inconsistent, I really get her. That being said though, even I was really getting annoyed with her, sitting there all cozy by the fire, comfy house, all the fresh fruit, vegetables and booty calls she could ever want and she's all like "leave me ALOOOONNNNEEEE!!!!!!" For heaven's sake woman, pack your little bag, load up your little guns and WALK. THE FUCK. AWAY if that's how you REALLY feel. At the same time though, Morgan and Carol dont yet know about Glenn and Abraham so from that point of view, they are very right not to want to get mixed up in waging war, going off half cocked.

One more tiny thing...when Carol looked out and saw a black man walking away from her little cottage, my first thought was "awww, Carol got Ezekial to take off his wig!" and then I realized, nope, that's Morgan (and Morgan and Carol dont really like each other very much even now).

• Love 13
1 hour ago, maystone said:

When the camera pulls back you can see Michonne and Red's silhouttes in the car. Michonne lifts an arm and then you see a flash while simultaneously hearing the gunshot. Michonne ain't Morgan. She will not hesitate to kill when the time calls for it. And it was very wise of her to take out Red. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

4 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

Sorry about the double quote. I was a little confused about that whole thing. She took Michonne to Savior village (although in the distance it looked like a lot of walkers and not people) and Michonne saw what they were up against. I got the feeling Red didn't want to go back and she also knew that Michonne would kill her. So maybe in Red's mind she was helping Michonne out a bit. I guess? I'm still a tiny bit confused.

Bye Spencer! I am sad about Olivia. At least she got to bitch slap Negan before meeting her maker.

I normally like Rosita but that was stupid as hell.

I agree, JDM looks way better with the beard.

I loved the Rick/Daryl hug.

A little OT, but I went to Nic and Norman's, the restaurant the Norman Reedus and Greg Nicotero own in Senoia, GA. Pretty cool little place, yummy food and some of Norman's photographs on the wall

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

Maybe but it still didn't make sense, especially for Michonne. She isn't wordy like that and it felt like she was talking to the viewers/the writers telling instead of showing what Michonne's mindset was. Though I don't know why they used that moment when there was a conversation between Michonne and Rick that felt organic.

• Love 3

This should probably go in the Nitpicks thread but... did anyone else glimpse BANANAS! in the pile of fruit Carol was hoarding (how could one person possibly eat all the fresh fruit she had before it started to rot?). Bananas. In North America. A good two  years after the apocalypse. Who's going down to tropical places and hauling back bananas? Also, it only has been three years at most since this all began, right? Cause Lori pregnant for 9 months + Judith looking approximately two-years-old= 3 years. Yet somehow Carl managed to grow to his teen years.

Heck there are so many bigger gaps in logic, I shouldn't fret about the details that bug me every week, such as, if you've ever run a generator to keep your house going, you'll know how loud they are and that you have to pick and choose what lights and appliances are truly necessary to run. But that's getting way off topic. At least this week there is finally forward progress in the plot. I've rarely watched a show more slow-paced than TWD. 

• Love 7
  2 hours ago, maystone said:

On Talking Dead, they listed Red in the "memorium' sequence. That was the only way I got that Michonne had killed her myself. I was not at all clear on that before.

I missed that part. Well, damn. Thanks to everyone who pointed that out.

FWIW, I can only reply to the forum through the comments on the recap on the front page, so I can't do a proper job of commenting, liking, etc. I also can't report the damn bug that's causing the problems. Anyway, apologies for disjointed commentary and replies.

14 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I was a bit surprised to see Rosita with the group.  I thought she'd be considered persona non grata with CDB after the stuff she pulled that got Olivia killed AND Eugene kidnapped.  I'm curious to hear what the others will say when they hear about what she did.  I guess nobody's hands are clean though.

While she was stupid, she's no worse than Daryl.

Remember that the season opened with him pulling a similar stunt, thinking it was a good idea to punch Negan, and got Glenn killed for it. Like Eugene, Daryl was also taken as a hostage. Negan was only going to kill Abraham before Daryl decided to think with his fists.

If Daryl gets a pass, then so must Rosita. 

Edited by Scaeva
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, BonnieD said:

This should probably go in the Nitpicks thread but... did anyone else glimpse BANANAS! in the pile of fruit Carol was hoarding (how could one person possibly eat all the fresh fruit she had before it started to rot?). Bananas. In North America. A good two  years after the apocalypse.

Yeah I saw that too BUT I decided it was really yellow squash product_yellow-squash.jpg

damn thats a lot of squash

• Love 6

I get it that people think that Rosita was dumb, but at least she had some agency in trying to take out Negan.  I give her props for that, at least.  Though yeah, it sucks that she basically got Eugene taken from them.

Aaron actually looked surprised to see the note in there, too.  I don't think he realized he'd taken it with the rest of the stuff.  Also, color me shocked he didn't walk away with a Walker bite, since he got pulled under in much the same manner as Bob.

Sheesh.  From the Olivia/Tara scene, I was surprised that Tara seemed to hate Negan already when she hadn't even met him yet till just then.

I wasn't sad to see Spencer get offed (though unlike most, I was actually surprised by it), but I was disappointed by what his plan was.  I thought he was trying to cozy up to Negan to try and get close enough to take him out when he least expected.  But when Negan figured out that he was trying to get him to take Rick out for him, I said, "Weak."  But that said, I still don't see how that warranted him killing him over it.  Can anyone please tell me why they Negan killed Spencer over his plan?

I was also shocked by Olivia's death because I didn't see any reason to really take her out.  I don't think Enid's gonna be happy to hear about her.

Yeah, I like Carol, but she needs to stop with this.

So from that final shot of the group, I'm getting the impression that the writers are considering Enid and Jesus as part of the main group now, as well?  Neither would bother me as joining up with them, since I like both characters.  Shame Aaron couldn't be there, since I know his portrayer has also confirmed that he's considered as part of the main group now, as well.  But I guess he was too hurt to join them.

I'm just glad the group is back together now.  Hoping the second half of the season delivers more than the first half did.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, sugarbaker design said:

I must have missed that, what's the number?

A lot. (Not sure if she mentioned a specific number.)  I was struck by the fact that FINALLY someone has commented on the number of saviors. I know some people on the boards would like to have seen Rick and the gang kill Negan the last time he dropped by, but the reality is: He has a lot of people, and even if they were excited by Negan being killed, chances are they'd initially shoot back at Rick et al. Look at the contempt they showed Aaron last night.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I interpreted Red telling Michonne that there was a silencer in the glove box and to make the car disappear as her asking to be killed for fear of what Negan would do to her if he found out she had shown her where the sanctuary was.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Michel said:

Sheesh.  From the Olivia/Tara scene, I was surprised that Tara seemed to hate Negan already when she hadn't even met him yet till just then.

<SNIP> Can anyone please tell me why they Negan killed Spencer over his plan?

Yes Tara did already hate Negan because she knows Negan was indirectly responsible to Denise's death and DIRECTLY responsible to Glenn's (and Abraham's) death and really, Negan just all around is fucking everything up! Tara, Aaron, the rest of Rick's group, all the ASZ people, they were all living FREE until The Great Orange Dumpster fire Negan showed up. Negan said exactly why he offed Spencer, he was annoyed that Spencer would try to shmooze Negan into killing Rick on Spencer's behalf! Negan is like MiB from Westworld in that he actually DOES want people to be feisty (Olivia, Rosita), to take bold action and fight back (Coral and Rosita again). Negan really does want people to stand up to him, he wants people to EARN his respect. He's a real piece of work though, I hope he dies in a real pitiful, embarrassing way like he gets a little drunk and falls in the midden and drowns in poop.

• Love 5

I, too, at first thought that Carol had bananas, and wondered how.  But then I decided they must be squash.  Only makes sense.  And yes, they needed to do something with Carol's funk ages ago.  Guess the writers were too busy shooting their collective wad over the Negan intro to worry too much about other characters.  The same mistake they made with Andrea and The Gov.  They separated her from TF in order to intro One-Eyed Bri and Woodbury, but ended up ruining the character and making her one of the most hated characters of the show.  Now they're doing the same to Carol.  I'm even starting to believe that Gimple is such a fan of the whole GN that he's writing Carol this way so that

he can follow the suicide arc for her

.  Sounds like something he'd do.

• Love 1

The show loses momentum when it segregates characters out into their own separate episodes.  It's better when it is an ensemble and action is going on.

Where is the Tiger?  They showed characters from the Kingdom, so the Tiger should have made an appearance.

I hope Negan's fascination with the people who are fiesty comes back to bite him in the ass in a really painful way.  I think the only reason he keeps people like that around is because he wants to break them.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 4

Negan killing Olivia instead of Rosita was in character. He did a similar thing with Glenn, after Daryl punched him. That's just how he rolls.

It also makes a certain amount of sense.

Daryl and Rosita both didn't care about their own lives at the moment they took a shot at Negan. Any reasonable person would expect to die afterwards. Daryl had to expect to be killed by Negan or his goons after punching him, and Rosita had to expect that she'd be gunned down by one of Negan's henchmen if she killed him. So Negan killing either one, wouldn't really be a punishment, as they were prepared to die. Instead he kills someone else, and puts the guilt for that person's death on their conscience. It might be twisted and evil, but there is a certain amount of pragmatism to it. It sends a stronger message, and arguably works as a greater deterrent, than just killing the person who transgressed.

There's not a lot with how the writers have handled Negan, or this entire season for that matter, that I'd be willing to defend. I think they got it right with how Negan reacted to Rosita shooting at him, though.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Enero said:

I thought people were exaggerating when they said this show had gone bad. I'm sad to say that they were being generous. This had to be the worst episode I have ever watched of TWD.  Just absolutely horrid. How has this show fallen so far?

I'm sorry to say this is the show recovering to some degree. If you want to see bad, watch the Tara-centric episode. It's almost unwatchable. Some of the worst acting I've seen in a long, long time. High school play quality.

Darryl's escape and Rick and Aaron trapped with a bunch of walkers on the water should've been thrilling ala Rick being stuck under the bed in 4x12 (?) and the battle for Alexandria mid season last year, but both moments fell flat. 

Although if you think the "Battle for Alexandria" was thrilling television, our tastes might diverge. That was Walking Dead at its most hokey/contrived. I remember rolling my eyes so hard they almost vacated my head.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, JackONeill said:

As a parent, don't you hate watching your kid be publicly reprimanded?

In a small way, I laughed when Negan told Rick that Carl had broken in and machine-gunned down some of his men. So, Negan had to bring back Carl to ASZ. Did anyone else see Rick cut a stink-eye at Carl?

I could almost hear Rick: "Damn it, Lori. I thought you trained him better?!?"

I saw that look as more like "Oh you are SO GROUNDED"

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, Concrtslt said:

I saw that look as more like "Oh you are SO GROUNDED"

My look would have said, "Oh for F***'s sake, if you all are going to go rogue, and put us all in more danger, at least accomplish the mission, and take out psycho Negan."

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 6

How much y'all wanna bet that Heath is with that group who left the note with the "fuck you finger" because that same finger was on the car at Hilltop that Sasha was by when her, Maggie, and Jesus were clearing out walkers.

Carol and Morgan are still delusional to the world they're living in now. Whether they like it or not they have to kill. Morgan has to get off that "life is precious" bullshit, and Carol needs to stop all that damn sulking. No matter where she goes or lives someone is going to find her. Whether it be The Kingdom, people from ASZ, or someone new.

I found it absolutely funny that through all this Negan hasn't once asked about Sasha's presence. She was in the lineup when Abe & Glenn got killed. Did he overlook her?

Arod or whatever that bitch's name is, I really hope Rosita is the one that puts a bullet in her eye. She can't die fast enough for me.

You guys pretty much summed Negan up. Over the top, cartoony, and bad acting. It comes a point where bad writing ends and bad acting begins. IMO a solid actor can spin shit into gold and JDM isn't doing it. He's just making Negan annoying and irritating with the stupid back bending and over the top temper tantrums. With the shaved face he does look very saggy.

You guys are right, where is the urgency in finding Eugene and did Tara bother to tell them about Heath? They wanna start a war but they might wanna get everyone that's part of their group. You need your bullet maker since bullets are scarce.

Father Gabriel more than likely has to take over nanny duties unless they're gonna pass it off to Eric, Francine, or Tobin. While they were headed to Hilltop Rick probably had Aaron watch Judith while his bruises heal.

It's getting hilarious now that at this point they're not running into walkers when they go out walking. I guess walkers have now taken to the water instead of being on land. I bet all that walking they did from ASZ to Hilltop they didn't encounter no walkers or any Saviors. 

• Love 1

I finally got to finish watching this morning on the AMC app (stupid satellite went out last night). I was generally satisfied with the episode and like the positive vibe of the ending. A couple of scenes had dialog that didn't quite make sense though. I thought the scene when Spencer was asking Rosita to dinner seem really stilted in some way (not like real people talk). I was also confused by the scene with Michonne and the redhead. It didn't look like the Savior camp to me and I wasn't sure Michonne shot her. If Negan's people are willing to be killed to get away, I'm guessing the majority wouldn't be too broken up if Negan was killed. Of course it has to be carefully planned, but they might be more for it than against.

I thought the scene with Carol and Morgan was a waste of time and included only to get everyone in the finale. If Carol truly wants to be alone than maybe she should not rely on the Kingdom for her cozy cottage complete with fireplace and books, and food. I hope they won't kill Morgan to have Carol come around to her fighting mode (and I am fine if she is not among those fighting). 

I have mixed feelings on Maggie. I get that she is grieving and pregnant, but the idea that she is automatically in charge just because she shows up doesn't fly with me. She is a good fighter but I don't see that she has leadership skills beyond what anyone else would have that is not a coward. I just can't stand the idea that Rick's people are automatically in charge of anything when they appear. 

I continue to like Rick however, and think AL did a good job at conveying Rick's helplessness and hope in the episode. As far as Negan, he never makes sense to me. He has no actual plan in place as to what goods he and his men need, he doesn't get it that the continual deaths of his group and the other groups will make people turn against him in the end and I would think he could spend his time better than walking around admiring running water and lemonade. I do give Spencer a bit of credit for at least trying something even though we knew he would get killed. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I have mixed feelings on Maggie. I get that she is grieving and pregnant, but the idea that she is automatically in charge just because she shows up doesn't fly with me. She is a good fighter but I don't see that she has leadership skills beyond what anyone else would have that is not a coward. I just can't stand the idea that Rick's people are automatically in charge of anything when they appear.

Maggie just had to show up and be semi-competent, because for reasons that have not been made clear, the current leader of Hilltop is a cowardly, degenerate skulker who may or may not have dementia. If the mayor of Hilltop had been a piece of wood with a face drawn on it things could scarcely have been more preposterous.

• Love 10