Type keyword(s) to search

High Profile Scientologists: Tom, Travolta, and More!

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, larapu2000 said:

What I don't understand about John Travolta is if he WERE to leave the Church, doesn't he understand that public sentiment is with HIM, not with Scientology?  And that even if they were to threaten him with releasing information about his alleged personal life secrets, wouldn't he believe he had the moral high ground of people understanding what the Church was doing to him, like they have done to EVERY ex-member?  I understand that his family is at stake, especially his wife, but if you could get ONE celebrity like him, that's being blackmailed, I think that would be huge.

That's what I don't understand, and that's why I love Leah Remini-she can read the damn room.

I would love for Leah to answer the question about Travolta. 

3 minutes ago, CatMomma said:

Well, that's not really what I said. I said that she may have been bitchy because she was surrounded by Scientologist constantly. Nothing about her career.

I know that.  It was my opinion and what I have heard.  I changed the wording on part of my post to avoid confusion.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, larapu2000 said:

What I don't understand about John Travolta is if he WERE to leave the Church, doesn't he understand that public sentiment is with HIM, not with Scientology?  And that even if they were to threaten him with releasing information about his alleged personal life secrets, wouldn't he believe he had the moral high ground of people understanding what the Church was doing to him, like they have done to EVERY ex-member?  I understand that his family is at stake, especially his wife, but if you could get ONE celebrity like him, that's being blackmailed, I think that would be huge.

That's what I don't understand, and that's why I love Leah Remini-she can read the damn room.

I think you nailed it on the head that his family is at stake.  He would risk being disconnected from his wife and his daughter, Ella?  I think it would have to be a coup like Leah, whose whole immediately family left with her (I think there are still some in-laws who are in the CO$ and have disconnected with Leah's brother in law?).

On my lunch break, I went down a scientology information hunt rabbit hole. I would not call Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan a celebrity or a scientologist but, apparently, he has incorporated many Scientology teachings into his beliefs and what he expects from followers of NoI. Strange bed fellows indeed.

Edited by Enigma X

Leah said on What Happens Live when asked by a caller if she thinks Travolta is staying because he's afraid.  She got quiet and said that she thought Travolta was one of the nicest, kindest people she has ever met.  She then said, he also really believes in Scientology.  It was an interesting and heartfelt answer to me.  

It also spoke to me that Leah isn't the vengeful bitter person Scientology makes her out to be.  If so, she'd jump at the chance to say Scientology has Travolta and is holding him captive with secrets.  Instead IMO, Leah cares about the truth and as far as she knows it, the truth is that Travolta is a believer.  

3 hours ago, Enigma X said:

On my lunch break, I went down a scientology information hunt rabbit hole. I would not call Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan a celebrity or a scientologist but, apparently, he has incorporated many Scientology teachings into his beliefs and what he expects from followers of NoI. Strange bed fellows indeed.

Aren't the more benign "secrets" and "beliefs" nothing more than your usual self-help and communication  techniques? 

It's pretty fucking ironic that the only reason I knew about Scientology in any depth over the years was from reading mocking, negative gossip and articles related to their celebrity members, Cruise and Alley in particular. Zenu unmasked as a consequence of the stars that Miscavige feels are the key to Scientology's success!

A frIend of mine was at an FBO (place where those flying private board) and it was buzzing about COS.  Katie and Suri  had been there the moment before.  Leah's documentary is reaching many.  And everyone was dazzled with Suri.  She is bright, charismatic, polite and very friendly.  Nice to hear. 

4 hours ago, wings707 said:

A frIend of mine was at an FBO (place where those flying private board) and it was buzzing about COS.  Katie and Suri  had been there the moment before.  Leah's documentary is reaching many.  And everyone was dazzled with Suri.  She is bright, charismatic, polite and very friendly.  Nice to hear. 

It is very nice to hear.  I had hoped she'd behave more like a child once she stopped being in the limelight and such a prop to be carried around.  A kid should just be able to be a kid.  

8 hours ago, wings707 said:

I knew she wasn't Tom's.

4 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I watched Going Clear yesterday. Scientologist functions are very cheesy. Tom Cruise is socially inept, and he and Miscavige are the same height.

I just watched Going Clear as well. It's so scary actually. 

9 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I watched Going Clear yesterday. Scientologist functions are very cheesy. Tom Cruise is socially inept, and he and Miscavige are the same height.

Putting aside the fact that those two are horrific assholes, that video of Tom receiving his made up Freedom Medal of Valor and Honor and Black Turtlenecks is absolutely hilarious with all the saluting and the serious looks and intense hugs they were sharing.  Any normal person watching it, not knowing it was real, would just assume it was a parody. 

DRAT...I saw a quick commercial this morning for Good Morning America - the official spokesperson for the COS was going to give an exclusive interview regarding Leah's show.  I forgot to DVR it, did anyone catch it?  I was starting to wonder why the COS was being so quiet when they must be pretty irate with Leah, Rinder, etc.

It's still on here. I set the DVR so if he makes his statement in the second hour of the show, I will catch it and share what he says.  Thanks for letting us know. 

10 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Ha I thought the same thing. Looks like they've been reading Trinity Broadcast Network's playbook. 

Tom and David present themselves in a very similar way. One seems to be copying the other. I'm too lazy to look up any old TC interviews to see if he always presented himself like this. 

3 minutes ago, bubbls said:

Tom and David present themselves in a very similar way. One seems to be copying the other. I'm too lazy to look up any old TC interviews to see if he always presented himself like this. 

Yes! I can definitely see this.

37 minutes ago, EVS said:

It's still on here. I set the DVR so if he makes his statement in the second hour of the show, I will catch it and share what he says.  Thanks for letting us know. 

Nothing so far.

47 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

DRAT...I saw a quick commercial this morning for Good Morning America - the official spokesperson for the COS was going to give an exclusive interview regarding Leah's show.  I forgot to DVR it, did anyone catch it?  I was starting to wonder why the COS was being so quiet when they must be pretty irate with Leah, Rinder, etc.

I hope they admit that they watched the show, and the interviewer grills them on this being a supposed grave sin.

Just now, laurakaye said:

I'd swear that interview was supposed to be on today's show...maybe I misheard, but I know it was GMA.  The clip was of a female spokesperson.

Maybe it was in the first hour. There was nothing in the second hour except an ad for the 20/20 interview with Leah. They did say in the ad that "now the church is fighting back" but didn't indicate what that means. 

1 minute ago, EVS said:

Maybe it was in the first hour. There was nothing in the second hour except an ad for the 20/20 interview with Leah. They did say in the ad that "now the church is fighting back" but didn't indicate what that means. 

Ah, sorry to make you watch for nothing - maybe that's what I heard, and it's going to be part of the 20/20 episode.  I just got kind of excited when I saw that the COS had something to say about Leah.  I WILL remember to set the DVR for 20/20!

12 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Ah, sorry to make you watch for nothing - maybe that's what I heard, and it's going to be part of the 20/20 episode.  I just got kind of excited when I saw that the COS had something to say about Leah.  I WILL remember to set the DVR for 20/20!

My dvr is already set for tonight. I'm curious to hear what the spokesperson will say also. I'm guessing it will be similar to the letters-a lot of denials plus false accusations against anyone on Leah's show. 

Eta: someone posted about this in the media thread. 

Edited by EVS

I'll definitely be watching 20/20 tonight.  Even though I've grown tiresome of 20/20 since I find they just rehash info that everyone knows already and drag it out for an hour.  I still set my DVR though, so well played 20/20.

Just watched the online GMA promo for 20/20 tonight.  Monique Yingling, an attorney for The Cult, blinks her eyes at warp speed while spouting the usual rhetoric.

Isn't that a "tell" indicating lying - along with constantly looking to the left?

Edited by spiderpig

I don't think this is the right thread for my questions, but their is no general questions thread here. That may be because none of us are on the other side of Scientology and can't answer certain questions. And this may have already been answered. I apologize. But do all of the ~50,000 Scientologists in the world live in a Scientology community? I mean can a Scientologist live in Chicago, rural Kentucky, or Martha's Vineyard? Will they need to find access to places where they get their required auditing and give their required knowledge reports? The whole compound setup is so weird to me?

1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Just watched the online GMA promo for 20/20 tonight.  Monique Yingling, an attorney for The Cult, blinks her eyes at warp speed while spouting the usual rhetoric.

Isn't that a "tell" indicating lying - along with constantly looking to the left?

As far as I understand it (which isn't in-depth at all), if you're going by neurolinguistic programming theory, there is no set-in-stone way to tell if someone is lying.  Side-eyeing can indicate lying, but the direction indicating it also depends on whether the person doing the lying is right or left handed.  I think your eyes go in the opposite direction of your dominant hand, but there's probably someone here who knows a lot more about it.

28 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I don't think this is the right thread for my questions, but their is no general questions thread here. That may be because none of us are on the other side of Scientology and can't answer certain questions. And this may have already been answered. I apologize. But do all of the ~50,000 Scientologists in the world live in a Scientology community? I mean can a Scientologist live in Chicago, rural Kentucky, or Martha's Vineyard? Will they need to find access to places where they get their required auditing and give their required knowledge reports? The whole compound setup is so weird to me?

Of course. They work. Some of them "regular jobs", some other work in "CO$ profit centers" (WISE related, for instance. That was my case, and I was the only no sciento of the bunch worlwide, as I've been told by my ex boss). They go to "The Org" after their regular time or some of them cross-audit themselves....

1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

Only the "clergy" aka the Sea Org live in these types of compounds.  The rest live wherever.  And not just in America.  All over the globe.

I get Enigma's question. Not that they have to live at a compound, but what about people who live no where near a center? They need to go from their homes to a center for classes and auditing. What if you don't live anywhere near a center? Do they have online classes? Can you be considered a scientologist if you just buy Dianetics etc at a bookstore? I suppose to be a "real" Scientologist they'd expect you to fly in to someplace that has a center at least once in a while for classes and auditing? (Shrug) I guess that's why it's a big deal that "everyone" in Clearwater (at least the way Leah and Mike tell it) is either a scientologist or a former scientologist. Maybe that's why they made a big deal about getting the books out there in the 80s and have buildings all over the place even if people aren't using them. Get people hooked on the books and then convince them they need to relocate near a center to really do good as a scientologist--even if you're going to have a regular job outside of Scientology. Yet, from what we heard about Aaron's nanny, boss, and kids' principal, even those "non-Scientology jobs" are reporting/declaring every move you make to the church. These areas seem to become meccas. But, to Enigma's point, yeah, what about those people who live in East Bumblef*ck, Nowheresville? How do you get your classes/auditing?

15 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

... (Shrug) I guess that's why it's a big deal that "everyone" in Clearwater (at least the way Leah and Mike tell it) is either a scientologist or a former scientologist.

Wikipedia says Clearwater has a current population of over 107,000 souls only a few of which are possessed by dead  Thetans, heh.  It is far from a company town having a population twice as much as the "higher" estimate of Scientologists world wide let alone the lower estimate of only 20,000.  Most of these people do not live in the area but are scattered all over the place.  It is just the Sea Org "clergy" (smirk) who tend to come there in large numbers like they do to that California HQ.  I'm sure there are a few other regular "parishioners" too who want to be near the action.  But not that many.

I grew up there pre dead Thetans invasion.  The population, like my family, consisted chiefly of transplanted northerners or their off spring like most coastal Florida towns.  It is the spring training home of the Philadelphia Phillies.  It was back in the day considered a bit more liberal than say Tampa across the bay and more like a northern section of St Petersburg as the two cities pretty much have grown into each other with Largo sandwiched in the middle.

Sorry but have to stand up for the overwhelming majority of sane people in Clearwater who have had to endure this invasion and semi-occupation year in and year out.  Except for a few like real estate brokers who grow rich off selling them property there to the cult I think the majority of residents in Clearwater would like to see the demise of this cult more than any other people in America.  They would love to get their town back again.

Edited by green
3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I wonder if she'll be tossed into the hole if she can't turn around the bad PR caused by this series. DM is so "off with their heads" and reactionary. Scary guy...

Edited by Almost 3000
1 hour ago, JenE4 said:

I get Enigma's question. Not that they have to live at a compound, but what about people who live no where near a center? They need to go from their homes to a center for classes and auditing. What if you don't live anywhere near a center? Do they have online classes? Can you be considered a scientologist if you just buy Dianetics etc at a bookstore? I suppose to be a "real" Scientologist they'd expect you to fly in to someplace that has a center at least once in a while for classes and auditing? (Shrug) I guess that's why it's a big deal that "everyone" in Clearwater (at least the way Leah and Mike tell it) is either a scientologist or a former scientologist. Maybe that's why they made a big deal about getting the books out there in the 80s and have buildings all over the place even if people aren't using them. Get people hooked on the books and then convince them they need to relocate near a center to really do good as a scientologist--even if you're going to have a regular job outside of Scientology. Yet, from what we heard about Aaron's nanny, boss, and kids' principal, even those "non-Scientology jobs" are reporting/declaring every move you make to the church. These areas seem to become meccas. But, to Enigma's point, yeah, what about those people who live in East Bumblef*ck, Nowheresville? How do you get your classes/auditing?

See my answer some posts above yours :)

2 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

Of course. They work. Some of them "regular jobs", some other work in "CO$ profit centers" (WISE related, for instance. That was my case, and I was the only no sciento of the bunch worlwide, as I've been told by my ex boss). They go to "The Org" after their regular time or some of them cross-audit themselves....

7 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

See my answer some posts above yours :)

Not asking where they work. How can people who live nowhere near a center practice the religion if they don't have access to "the church" auditing and classes? 

4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

She gives me the creeps in a major, major way. 

38 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Not asking where they work. How can people who live nowhere near a center practice the religion if they don't have access to "the church" auditing and classes? 

I get what you're asking. If you happened to get hooked into Scientology when on vacation in Los Angeles, how would you continue to practice Scientology when you went home to North Dakota. There are no centers, pracitioners, or classes near you.

39 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

They can't, but there are lots of Scientology centers around the U.S. Many are small with very few public members (parishioners, as Leah calls them), but the centers are kept open and staffed. Scientology has a church locator site, if interested. (If you live in a rural or low population area, you'd have to move.)

There are also local "missions" that are privately run (like a franchise), but Miscavige upped their fee percentages and many have shut down now.

20/20 program tonight on ABC at 10:01. There was a clip of the program on GMA.  The main interviewer said that they just interviewed the lawyer for the cult yesterday.  The thing that I found telling was when the lawyer said, "She is attacking this organization. blah, blah, blah." Or words to that effect.  What got my attention was the use of the word organization.  Although a few seconds later she used the word religion or church.  

Just now, DrivingSideways said:

Interestingly, isn't Monique Yingling NOT a Scientologist?

No she is not a Scientologist.  She is a hired gun lawyer who gets tons of money defending this pile of manure.

16 hours ago, JenE4 said:

You missed the end of my sentence : ... "some of them cross-audit themselves..."

My ex-boss was an OT IV, his wife OTVIII, and they also were auditors, so they cross audited themselves and also audited my ex-effing-bastard-colleague

EDIT TO CLARIFY : when I wrote about "working" it was in answer to your question in the meaning of : "they've got a -quite- regular life, like anybody else". But it was only explicit in my head, lol !

Edited by Diane Mars
19 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Edited to say I misunderstood the question but I'll leave my answer anyway. 

I just finished Leah Remini's book, and she mentions scientologists who live independently. She did. There are also groups of scientologists who practice independently of the official COS. She also explained that you can leave the church and not be declared a Suppressive Person as long as you don't criticize the church after you're gone (or don't get caught criticizing it). Another thing she had a problem with was that Tom Cruise was not required to disconnect from either Katie or Nicole. According to her book Tom has much more power in the church than I imagined. 

Edited by bubbls
1 hour ago, bubbls said:

Edited to say I misunderstood the question but I'll leave my answer anyway. 

I just finished Leah Remini's book, and she mentions scientologists who live independently. She did. There are also groups of scientologists who practice independently of the official COS. She also explained that you can leave the church and not be declared a Suppressive Person as long as you don't criticize the church after you're gone (or don't get caught criticizing it). Another thing she had a problem with was that Tom Cruise was not required to disconnect from either Katie or Nicole. According to her book Tom has much more power in the church than I imagined. 

No doubt that Cruise has a lot of power within the church, but could part of the reason that he has not been required to disconnect from Nicole and Katie be because they have not said anything against the church? What Leah says makes Tom a sadder sack of shit if it is true that he really has not had any kind of contact with Suri since Katie left him. Although, I am sure Suri is better off this way.

I just learned that one of my favorite authors was raised as a Scientologist (Neil Gaiman). He left years ago and refuses to talk about it.

19 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

No doubt that Cruise has a lot of power within the church, but could part of the reason that he has not been required to disconnect from Nicole and Katie be because they have not said anything against the church? What Leah says makes Tom a sadder sack of shit if it is true that he really has not had any kind of contact with Suri since Katie left him. Although, I am sure Suri is better off this way.

I just learned that one of my favorite authors was raised as a Scientologist (Neil Gaiman). He left years ago and refuses to talk about it.

I bought my daughter one of Neil Gaiman's books for Christmas and just days after I bought it I found out he was a Scientologist. I was so relieved to hear that he left. I'm not a big "boycott" type person but in this case I try to be careful about spending money on products of Scientologists because I know their money goes straight into Scientology pockets. Not to mention that any well-known person who is a Scientologist at this point knows of the horrors the COS inflicts and chooses to ignore. I find that appalling. 

1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I still think Cruise gets different treatment because of his celebrity status.     I would be SO interesting though if Nicole and Katie started talking.  They won't, but gosh darn it, I'd love it.   And as for Suri....we all know she is better off.  Those sad kids of Nicole's....they lost out big time and got Tom and the creepy church instead of an actual loving parent.  

I also think that Cruise might not be as aware of some of the junk as others because he is so protected from it.  He is treated like gold and is only shown and told the magical world saving aspects of Scientology.  And the abuses he hears about, he never sees...or realizes he sees them, hears the Scientology side from the upper ups and thinks it is just bitter haters hating.  Cruise isn't smart, so he sees what they want them to see and then just goes on believing the big ol' lie.