Type keyword(s) to search

High Profile Scientologists: Tom, Travolta, and More!

• Start Topic

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:46 AM, 3girlsforus said:

Please indulge a dumb question from someone who isn't really up on Hollywood gossip and relationships. Was Katie Holmes a Scientologist before she got together with Tom? If not, how did she end up with Tom? My understanding, which could be wrong, is that Tom's image is/was important enough to the COS that they found him a COS girlfriend at one point. Did they put Tom and Katie together too? If Katie was a scientologist before Tom I have less sympathy for her than if she wasn't in the "church" and thought it was a nice, albeit expensive, self-help group that Tom liked. Of course if she wasn't in the church I wonder why Tom chose her in the first place. Wouldn't someone who is the COB's little buddy only want an established COS wife? Or is agreeing to be in COS good enough? 

Back in the day, when TWoP (which had mutual founders with this site) was still a thing, the Dawson's Creek/Katie Holmes thread was completely hijacked (in a good way, IMO) and became pretty much a discussion of Scientology. I actually credit that thread for where I first learned about the "Church." As is the case with PTV, the forums were packed with smart, in-depth information.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:44 PM, Stiggs said:

I had no idea Haggis was once executive producer of The Facts of Life. I love him even more now, lol. 

I am reading Going Clear a little bit at a time (for the sake of my blood pressure) and today happened to come across the factoid that Haggis was a writer on Diff'rent Strokes and that his writing partner, Howard Meyers (quoting from the book), "who was also a Scientologist, decided to follow a splinter group led by David Mayo, who had been one of the highest officials in the church. Haggis told Meyers that he couldn't work with him anymore. Because Meyers was the senior writer on the show, Haggis resigned and went looking for other work."

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, FoundTime said:

Back in the day, when TWoP (which had mutual founders with this site) was still a thing, the Dawson's Creek/Katie Holmes thread was completely hijacked (in a good way, IMO) and became pretty much a discussion of Scientology.

I remember the day TomKat made their first PR appearance. That thread was bananas. I knew nothing about Scientology outside of celebrities like John Travolta and Tom Cruise being a part of it, but watching Katie's spiral into madness was really eye opening to just how crazy the cult was.  

I can see Leah being pals with Juliette Lewis, one ballsy broad to another. The Underground Bunker has characterized Lewis in the past as one of the celebrities who might be wavering.

Also, it may be easier for Juliette to leave now that her father has passed.

He's also a pilot, you know, and a huge 747 enthusiast, as am I.

Supposedly, Travolta was able to indulge in his love for planes (and not have to work for years) because of all the money he made from his cuts of the Grease and Urban Cowboy soundtracks. I can't imagine how much of his fortune the cult swindled out of him during that time.

Evidently, the only way they can communicate with us wogs is with four letter words...http://laist.com/2017/09/25/elisabeth_moss_fbombs.php?_ga=2.252767177.1365560033.1506343792-578710487.1430940523

Last Sunday, Elisabeth Moss won an extremely well-deserved Emmy for her role in The Handmaid's Tale, and also garnered quite a few headlines for her expletive-laden acceptance speech. The Emmy win was the actress's first after many a nomination, so it would be easy to presume that the f-bombs came from mere excitement—but was the cursing actually, um, a Scientology thing?

"Invoking four-letter words in public is part of a church practice that involves reading the 'tone scale,'" according to the Hollywood Reporter, who first reported the potential Church of Scientology link. THR quotes Tiziano Lugli, "a former friend of Moss' inside the Church of Scientology" who decamped from Team Hubbard seven years ago, who told them that the profanity had a very specific purpose: helping Scientologists communicate with regular, no-chance-of-ever-Going-Clearplebes.

@Rlb8031

I listened to a lot of Aisha Tyler's podcast where she tries to disabuse listeners of the notion that actors have the ability to make either artistic or philosophic decisions about who they will work with and what projects they will work on. In her explanation only 4-5 actors have that ability and they are literally the largest box office draws (Tom C., Will Smith, Harrison Ford, Robert Downey Jr., Tom Hanks, etc). Everyone else gets scripts begs their agents to get them a reading, goes out and puts on the hard sell for the role, and takes whatever jobs come along. They are much more focused on the cable bill, gas for the car, rent, etc. than they are with the artistic quality or their feelings about folks generally. Many artists will sacrifice their beliefs to get a paycheck (which is why you'd see someone who is a staunch Catholic in a movie like "Dogma" or "The Temptation of Christ"). Artists as a whole sacrifice a lot to just make/perform their art. Adam West talked about getting shot out of a cannon at car shows during the 70's and 80's when he couldn't get work in Hollywood as an actor. I have no doubt that there are plenty of actors who think Co$ is a scam but would take a role in a Tom Cruise production in a minute if it meant they could pay for their kid's braces, or keep the lights on for the next six months.

I like Aisha a lot, but this is a gross oversimplification. Zach Galifianakis was insistent that Mel Gibson not be in the Hangover 2. Of the cast, Galifianakis was the least known, including Ken Jeong and Mike Epps, by quite a bit. Galifianakis had a star turn in the first film, but I can't imagine that it was noteworthy enough to allow him to pull rank like that. Jim Caviezel and Neal McDonough are staunch Catholics who won't take jobs depending on what is in the script. An actor's pickiness is completely dependent on how in demand he or she is, whether the actor is a woman, or a person of color. Taraji P. Henson was able to insist that Terrence Howard be cast on Empire despite his reputation as an unstable difficult abusive lunatic. Despite his Co$ fanaticism, there are dozens of rungs below a Tom Cruise production. No one is taking a role in one of his films because they absolutely have to. His shit isn't Sharknado. He isn't making crappy Lifetime movies. People take roles in his films because it's good for their careers. His films make money and they are watched by many people. Or maybe it's a good part. Anyone taking a role in Danny Masterson joint is a lot closer to having no other options. As bad as I find the Co$ and how complicit Tom Cruise is in their abuses, someone like Michael Bay is a Hollywood nightmare who is actually abusive to his actors and has no compunction about threatening them too.

https://www.thecut.com/2016/06/history-of-michael-bay-being-a-sexist-jerk.html

He made Ben Affleck get veneers because he felt like his teeth weren't heroic?!?!?? All of this is to say that Aisha isn't wrong, but she's not completely right either. There is so much farther to fall from a Tom Cruise or Michael Bay production. If an actor is truly bothered by either of them, there are many options besides being in one of their films.

8 hours ago, jaync said:

Also, it may be easier for Juliette to leave now that her father has passed.

Supposedly, Travolta was able to indulge in his love for planes (and not have to work for years) because of all the money he made from his cuts of the Grease and Urban Cowboy soundtracks. I can't imagine how much of his fortune the cult swindled out of him during that time.

The movie studios subsidized Travolta's plane.  The studio system changed, which is why he can't afford the plane anymore and ended up "donating" it.  Bill Burr does a great job of breaking it down:  

Around the 46 minute mark. 

From The Daily Mail, the latest in Tommy denial stories.  Just posting a couple of paragraphs - you can get the whole article, along with a still of the offending butt, at the link.)

Giving it the bum's rush! Tom Cruise categorically denies claims he wore FAKE BOTTOM in Valkyrie

By Mike Larkin For Dailymail.com
PUBLISHED: 08:22 BST, 27 September 2017 | UPDATED: 09:58 BST, 27 September 2017

It was the mystery fans were keen to get to the bottom of.
And now Tom Cruise has revealed he did NOT wear a fake rear-end in his hit 2008 Second World War blockbuster Valkyrie.
A lingering shot in the Bryan Singer film showing the star's particularly peachy posterior became a hot topic of discussion among fans, and despite the asinine nature of the inquiry has remained a bone of contention ever since.

The 55-year-old decided to put the controversy behind him once and for all by addressing the issue.

When asked about the source of the rumours, Tom told ScreenRant: 'I have no idea. There was no prosthetic in Valkyrie. No.'

However Tom's buttocks were on everyone's lips once again after there was speculation he used a stunt behind, or even the magic of digital enhancement, to film mooning scenes in his latest movie American Made.
However, and yet again, Tom was fast to poo-poo the claims, no doubt as he is proud of his chiselled cheeks.
He said: 'It’s me. It’s not CGI, it’s me. I do my own mooning in films. So let it be known – I do my own mooning.'
Fans can decide for themselves by watching the numerous exposures of his character's behind as he repeatedly moons his family whenever he heads out on one of his adventures.

Read it and weep:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4923982/Tom-Cruise-categorically-denies-FAKE-BOTTOM-Valkyrie.html#ixzz4tslUdAha

Edited by spiderpig
On 9/25/2017 at 8:21 PM, HunterHunted said:

@Rlb8031

I like Aisha a lot, but this is a gross oversimplification. Zach Galifianakis was insistent that Mel Gibson not be in the Hangover 2. Of the cast, Galifianakis was the least known, including Ken Jeong and Mike Epps, by quite a bit. Galifianakis had a star turn in the first film, but I can't imagine that it was noteworthy enough to allow him to pull rank like that. Jim Caviezel and Neal McDonough are staunch Catholics who won't take jobs depending on what is in the script. An actor's pickiness is completely dependent on how in demand he or she is, whether the actor is a woman, or a person of color. Taraji P. Henson was able to insist that Terrence Howard be cast on Empire despite his reputation as an unstable difficult abusive lunatic. Despite his Co$ fanaticism, there are dozens of rungs below a Tom Cruise production. No one is taking a role in one of his films because they absolutely have to. His shit isn't Sharknado. He isn't making crappy Lifetime movies. People take roles in his films because it's good for their careers. His films make money and they are watched by many people. Or maybe it's a good part. Anyone taking a role in Danny Masterson joint is a lot closer to having no other options. As bad as I find the Co$ and how complicit Tom Cruise is in their abuses, someone like Michael Bay is a Hollywood nightmare who is actually abusive to his actors and has no compunction about threatening them too.

https://www.thecut.com/2016/06/history-of-michael-bay-being-a-sexist-jerk.html

He made Ben Affleck get veneers because he felt like his teeth weren't heroic?!?!?? All of this is to say that Aisha isn't wrong, but she's not completely right either. There is so much farther to fall from a Tom Cruise or Michael Bay production. If an actor is truly bothered by either of them, there are many options besides being in one of their films.

I get your point, but my point was that for the vast majority of actors, they are not in demand enough to be able to pull rank on a production, and that includes many people that are second or third on the call sheet. For someone who is getting cast as FBI Agent #3 with seven lines in two scenes, s/he isn't driven by strong views on CO$, Cruise and his likability or anything other than taking a job that allows them to pay their bills. So those folks will work with TC because its a job and not because they are supportive of him. And because in many cases if you are 7, 8 , or 9 on the call sheet there many not be many options. At that level its more about do you have a next job lined up period.

Kirstie Alley is tweeting about a supposed link between mass shootings and psychiatric drugs. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4946112/Kirstie-Alley-tweets-Vegas-shooting-blames-pysch-meds.html

Whether or not there is actually a link, and whether or not the Vegas shooter was taking psychiatric drugs, imo it is in extremely poor taste to tweet this now. It seems like she is using the Vegas shooting to promote Scientology's anti-psych drug stance. 

1 hour ago, EVS said:

Kirstie Alley is tweeting about a supposed link between mass shootings and psychiatric drugs. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4946112/Kirstie-Alley-tweets-Vegas-shooting-blames-pysch-meds.html

Whether or not there is actually a link, and whether or not the Vegas shooter was taking psychiatric drugs, imo it is in extremely poor taste to tweet this now. It seems like she is using the Vegas shooting to promote Scientology's anti-psych drug stance. 

Nice way to exploit a horrific event.  How would that loud-mouthed has-been know anything about the killer?   Maybe some psychiatric meds might help her not be such a nasty jackass.

This show just keeps NOT disappointing me.  Man, these guys, producers, staff, everyone is just super.  I'm so proud of the work they are doing.  WHEN is law enforcement going to do their jobs?

I was heartbroken last night, when I saw the photo of Elisabeth Moss on the show!  Not sure where I've been, but, I had not realized that she was a Scientologist.  OMG.  It broke my heart for her.  I'm a long time fan, but, I really can't look at her the same way.  These members have a responsibility to humanity and to the victims of Scientology and to just deny it exist and pretend that all is well is just preposterous.  They don't get a pass from me.  Not any more. I'm an open minded person, but, this level of cruelty and illegal treatment of people boggles the mind.  I hope Ms. Moss wakes up. 

Here's an article about Ms. Moss denying what has more than be proven about this cult.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/elisabeth-moss-bizarrely-defends-scientology-on-instagram_us_599738b7e4b0a2608a6c4d91

On 9/7/2017 at 10:55 PM, KHenry14 said:

I've contended for years that Tom Cruise's career took a huge downturn after June 2005. In May 2005 Tom embarrasses himself on Oprah, and a month later he's gets into it with Matt Lauer.  Subsequently he makes the horrible War of the Worlds, the awful Valkyrie, the bad Knight and Day. Remember Edge of Tomorrow? Me Neither. Compare that to the 10 years before that, when he did Jerry Maguire, Minority Report, first Mission: Impossible, the excellent Last Samurai, Eyes Wide Shut, Vanilla Sky, Magnolia and the underrated Collateral. What a difference. 

It just seems like he lost his way after that bad month. Add in that he's the standard bearer for $cientology and if he's not doing well it reflects on the "church". That's gotta add a lot of pressure to him to be successful

When was it that he was talking shit about Brooke Shields?

3 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

Oh that's right, that's when he condescended to Matt Lauer, right?

Yep.  "You have not studied psychology, Matt.  I (the Great and Powerful) have."

Edited by AZChristian
20 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Yep.  "You have not studied psychology, Matt.  I (the Great and Powerful) have."

Imagine how many times he shouted "WORD" at his assistants as he was pretending to study psychology

1 minute ago, smorbie said:

Imagine how many times he shouted "WORD" at his assistants as he was pretending to study psychology

I think Tom's definition of "studying psychology" is watching a couple of episodes of Dr. Phil.

20 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

^^ Or reading the Gospel of LRH that says "psychology is bad" over and over.

After reading a little about LRH psychological probelms and their realtionship to his writings, I seriously think TC must be really mentally ill as well, to believe all that rubbish. It's all so textbood paranoia beliefs!

On 10/4/2017 at 2:23 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I was heartbroken last night, when I saw the photo of Elisabeth Moss on the show!  Not sure where I've been, but, I had not realized that she was a Scientologist.  OMG.  It broke my heart for her.  I'm a long time fan, but, I really can't look at her the same way.  These members have a responsibility to humanity and to the victims of Scientology and to just deny it exist and pretend that all is well is just preposterous.  They don't get a pass from me.  Not any more. I'm an open minded person, but, this level of cruelty and illegal treatment of people boggles the mind.  I hope Ms. Moss wakes up.

Elisabeth Moss is kind of on my radar, but that's about it.  I never watched Mad Men and I didn't see The Handmaid's Tale (read the book decades ago and hated every second of it), but I knew she existed and have seen her around and didn't dislike her.  But then I read here that she's a Scientologist.

I often watch an interview show on some DirecTV channel called "Off Camera" with Sam Jones, and the next episode had Elisabeth Moss on it, and I skipped it.  Then I was clearing out my DVR and was checking the movie "Truth"--it's been raining so I FF through stuff to make sure the satellite signal didn't drop (man, it's annoying to be watching something and have the satellite go out), and I saw her face go screaming by, and I thought, "Nope.  Delete." 

None of this will affect her, of course, but I don't care.  It's my own little stand.

I agree.  I just can't look at these actors the same.  I used to like Travolta, Moss and thought that Tom C. was a very good actor.  I still do, but, I just can't watch them anymore, because I can't stop thinking about the children who have been abused, neglected and mostly forgotten by this group.  AND they have the nerve to say that they aren't interesting in reading the truth.  And MOSS saying that her church respects all faiths!  It's insulting to the victims.  I had planned to watch The Handmaid's Tale, but, nope.  No interest.  The same goes for the others too. 

I recently saw the movie American Made with (deep breath) Tom Cruise. I had a family member that really wanted to see it. I voiced my opposition, loudly and repeatedly, but guilt is a useful thing and I had said no to her several times in a row lately, so I caved. Without Little Tommy in it I would’ve wanted to see it because it’s based on a man’s story featuring my home state, but Little Tommy killed that desire. I haven’t watched him in anything since learning so much about CO$ and he actively makes me grit my teeth. I wanted to stand up and give a talk about the horrors of CO$ to my fellow movie goers. I can’t see past Little Tommy’s evil complicity and massive ego. I never liked him that much as an actor because I always thought he was Tom Cruise playing a role, as in TC playing a spy. He always was TC first before the role to me. If that makes any sense. (And I won’t even address how the goofy grinning runt man ruined the idea of Jack Reacher movies. Ugh!) I knew the basics of the real story before I saw the movie so I knew the ending, but can I just say

Spoiler

I felt a sick satisfaction when he was killed. Since it’s based on a real man dying I couldn’t enjoy it completely, but separating that fact, the ending was highly satisfying.

19 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Elisabeth Moss is kind of on my radar, but that's about it.  I never watched Mad Men and I didn't see The Handmaid's Tale (read the book decades ago and hated every second of it), but I knew she existed and have seen her around and didn't dislike her.  But then I read here that she's a Scientologist.

I often watch an interview show on some DirecTV channel called "Off Camera" with Sam Jones, and the next episode had Elisabeth Moss on it, and I skipped it.  Then I was clearing out my DVR and was checking the movie "Truth"--it's been raining so I FF through stuff to make sure the satellite signal didn't drop (man, it's annoying to be watching something and have the satellite go out), and I saw her face go screaming by, and I thought, "Nope.  Delete." 

None of this will affect her, of course, but I don't care.  It's my own little stand.

You are a statistic after my own heart.  I never watched Man Men, didn't get the thrill of even the idea of the show.  I watched a few episodes of The Handmaid's Tale, but quit because it is a show with an objectionable (to me) agenda.  I tend to stay away from shows like that; the purport to be entertainment, but they are really political propaganda.

As the book was also.  I read it when it first came out.  I thought it was a nice bit of scifi.  That's all, nothing more consequential than one of the million other scifi books in the universe.  I didn't realize it was the Handbook for the Feminist Movement.  

But, it's taken so seriously that must be what it is. I'll give you a personal example.  I play the Sims2.  It's a video game in which the player creates neighborhoods and characters and does whatever he wants with them.  I decided to make  handmaid neighborhood, just for fun, and create people (not characters from the book), and just have the framework of the story be their neighborhood rules.

Someone on one the game's sites wrote me this horrible message about what a terrible person I must be to envision such a thing.  She wished me horrible things for my future.  I wrote her back, saying I was sorry my game proposal had hurt her.  She came back telling me how the book had scarred her and how frightened she was of that actually happening to her.

I was like, really?  It makes as much sense to me as being worried Darth Vader is going to appear, cut my hand off, and tell me I'm his father. 

4 hours ago, ramble said:

I recently saw the movie American Made with (deep breath) Tom Cruise. I had a family member that really wanted to see it. I voiced my opposition, loudly and repeatedly, but guilt is a useful thing and I had said no to her several times in a row lately, so I caved. Without Little Tommy in it I would’ve wanted to see it because it’s based on a man’s story featuring my home state, but Little Tommy killed that desire. I haven’t watched him in anything since learning so much about CO$ and he actively makes me grit my teeth. I wanted to stand up and give a talk about the horrors of CO$ to my fellow movie goers. I can’t see past Little Tommy’s evil complicity and massive ego. I never liked him that much as an actor because I always thought he was Tom Cruise playing a role, as in TC playing a spy. He always was TC first before the role to me. If that makes any sense. (And I won’t even address how the goofy grinning runt man ruined the idea of Jack Reacher movies. Ugh!) I knew the basics of the real story before I saw the movie so I knew the ending, but can I just say

Hide contents

I felt a sick satisfaction when he was killed. Since it’s based on a real man dying I couldn’t enjoy it completely, but separating that fact, the ending was highly satisfying.

I have seen the trailer for American Made and have zero interest in watching it, mainly because Tom Cruise is in it.  I hated the southern accent he affects.  Then I heard someone on EW Radio review it.  He said it was like Tom Cruise watched a bunch of Matthew McConaughey's work and imitated him.  I laughed, as I could so see that.  They also made fun of the fact that he is always wearing boot cut jeans, as they mask the shoes he wears with lifts in them. 

5 hours ago, smorbie said:

You are a statistic after my own heart.  I never watched Man Men, didn't get the thrill of even the idea of the show.  I watched a few episodes of The Handmaid's Tale, but quit because it is a show with an objectionable (to me) agenda.  I tend to stay away from shows like that; the purport to be entertainment, but they are really political propaganda.

As the book was also.  I read it when it first came out.  I thought it was a nice bit of scifi.  That's all, nothing more consequential than one of the million other scifi books in the universe.  I didn't realize it was the Handbook for the Feminist Movement.  

But, it's taken so seriously that must be what it is. I'll give you a personal example.  I play the Sims2.  It's a video game in which the player creates neighborhoods and characters and does whatever he wants with them.  I decided to make  handmaid neighborhood, just for fun, and create people (not characters from the book), and just have the framework of the story be their neighborhood rules.

Someone on one the game's sites wrote me this horrible message about what a terrible person I must be to envision such a thing.  She wished me horrible things for my future.  I wrote her back, saying I was sorry my game proposal had hurt her.  She came back telling me how the book had scarred her and how frightened she was of that actually happening to her.

I was like, really?  It makes as much sense to me as being worried Darth Vader is going to appear, cut my hand off, and tell me I'm his father. 

It's a pity that someone used your game proposal to make assumptions about what kind of person you are - her reaction seems really over the top to me.  But having said that, as a lifelong feminist, I can tell you that none of the feminist women or men I know consider The Handmaid's Tale to be a handbook for the feminist movement.  A cautionary tale at best, taking the idea of oppression to an extreme to make a point, but a handbook for a movement?  No.

14 hours ago, WescottF1 said:

I can't get the article to load, but according to the Daily Mail the former Mrs. Elvis Presley has quit the Co$.

It actually happened a couple of years ago.  Lisa Marie (who may be lured back in) left with her mom and Reily.  Sadly, Reily is also back in now.

Forgot to mention my source. Tony Ortega has written about it several times, including today.

14 hours ago, jrlr said:

It's a pity that someone used your game proposal to make assumptions about what kind of person you are - her reaction seems really over the top to me.  But having said that, as a lifelong feminist, I can tell you that none of the feminist women or men I know consider The Handmaid's Tale to be a handbook for the feminist movement.  A cautionary tale at best, taking the idea of oppression to an extreme to make a point, but a handbook for a movement?  No.

Motor on over to the forums discussing the show on this site and see what I mean.

Edited by smorbie
On 10/21/2017 at 9:40 AM, ramble said:

Reveal hidden contents

I wish that I had not liked Tom as an actor, but, my opinion of his acting was way up there.  I did believe him in his roles and liked him, even when I didn't like the movie.  I've LOVED several movies that he's starred in.  So, saying good bye to watching him, is a loss for me, but, not such a big loss.  I'll get over it.  

I also loved the work of Elizabeth Moss.  I followed her work for years.  She was my favorite character and actor on Mad Men.  She was also awesome in her mini series, Top Of The Lake.  But, I will say that all along, I wondered what was wrong with her.  IN interviews, she always seem awkward, hesitant and not really that enthusiastic.  I wasn't sure what to make of it.  I chalked it up to her being an odd artist. Sometimes, they can be rather shy, despite their occupation.  But, since learning about her growing up in this group.......now I really wonder if THAT is why she acts that way.  I really do consider this a loss.  I feel bad for her.  She has gained so much in life, but, she must be totally miserable. 

I have lost all compassion for Travolta too.  The same goes for Kirsty Ally.  Based on the interviews and reality show that Kirsty had, I suspect that she is desperate for belonging and that she dare not cut off people who she believes care for her.  I think her support system is limited. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Hollywood studios yanking turkeys out of theatres sooner.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/10/21/hollywood-ending-big-studios-cutting-losses-this-weekend-pulling-flops-from-theaters-earlier-than-usual

relevant part concerning Tommy's movie:

Universal is pulling Tom Cruise’s  “American Made” from 539 locations after a month in release. The Doug Liman directed thriller has made just $43 million. Good reviews haven’t helped push Cruise fans to theaters. One problem was lack of promotion since Cruise wasn’t available. Also, audiences may have just soured on him after “The Mummy” and other flops. With both studios, it wasn’t for lack of trying.

On 10/22/2017 at 0:51 PM, italianguy626 said:

Hollywood studios yanking turkeys out of theatres sooner.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/10/21/hollywood-ending-big-studios-cutting-losses-this-weekend-pulling-flops-from-theaters-earlier-than-usual

relevant part concerning Tommy's movie:

This movie had no business having a budget over $30 million. Its actual budget was $50 million. The kind of film this was trying to be rarely has a budget over $25 million. The movie has made $121 million worldwide. If they had kept the budget under $30 million, this movie would have been a success. The rule of thumb is that a movie has to net 3 times its production budget before it actually starts making money.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:32 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I agree.  I just can't look at these actors the same.  I used to like Travolta, Moss and thought that Tom C. was a very good actor.  I still do, but, I just can't watch them anymore, because I can't stop thinking about the children who have been abused, neglected and mostly forgotten by this group.  AND they have the nerve to say that they aren't interesting in reading the truth.  And MOSS saying that her church respects all faiths!  It's insulting to the victims.  I had planned to watch The Handmaid's Tale, but, nope.  No interest.  The same goes for the others too. 

I had zero interest in Handmaid's Tale, or Mad Men (I do remember Elizabeth Moss from Girl Interrupted).  And I was never a huge fan of Travolta, or Tom Cruise.  Thankfully, his part in "The Outsiders" isn't that big, because I can't quit that movie (or book).  Ever.  You can bury me with it, lol.

1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

I had zero interest in Handmaid's Tale, or Mad Men (I do remember Elizabeth Moss from Girl Interrupted).  And I was never a huge fan of Travolta, or Tom Cruise.  Thankfully, his part in "The Outsiders" isn't that big, because I can't quit that movie (or book).  Ever.  You can bury me with it, lol.

If it makes it any easier to justify, he did The Outsiders (1983) before he met Mimi Rodgers (1985), who got him into Scamatology, so that film is pre-Scamatology.

1 hour ago, italianguy626 said:

If it makes it any easier to justify, he did The Outsiders (1983) before he met Mimi Rodgers (1985), who got him into Scamatology, so that film is pre-Scamatology.

And like the rest of Cruises former wives, Mimi Rodgers is no where near the cult.

2 hours ago, italianguy626 said:

Yes, now I can be guilt free as I cry my eyes out and go through 2 boxes of tissues.  And I rarely ever cry at movies.  Ever.  But I'm a basket case by the end of that movie.

I've been discussing over on the Supporters of Leah Remini FB page why Netflix shut down HOC in less than a day because of the Kevin Spacey allegation, but hasn't so much as uttered a peep about Danny Masterson's three rape allegations.  I realize this is because Kevin Spacey is a major star and all over the news but there has to be a way to make Netflix at least publicly address the situation.  

Edited by WInterfalls