Type keyword(s) to search

High Profile Scientologists: Tom, Travolta, and More!

• Start Topic

I'm wondering if its Catherine Bell who's leaviing? Rinder has said that she's in trouble with TPTB in CO$, possibly because of lesbian relationship that occurred around the time she got divorced. Would make sense to me, especially after last night's comments on how CO$ views the LGBT community. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I can see Leah being pals with Juliette Lewis, one ballsy broad to another. The Underground Bunker has characterized Lewis in the past as one of the celebrities who might be wavering.

I think Lewis has said she's also of the Christian faith in some past interviews. There may be some conflict with that. I could see those two being friends. They're around the same age and IIRC, got in the biz around the same time.

Who knows how much of the blind item should be believed.  But I don't think Catherine Bell is famous enough for it to be a "slap in the face to Miscavige.

I tend to think Juliette Lewis just because I don't think I've seen Leah bring up her name when gving examples of Co$ celeb behavior.

If not for the friends with Leah part, I'd wonder if it was Elizabeth Moss.  Mostly because I think that would be most upsetting to Miscavige right now outside of Cruise because her career is doing well.  I've also wondered a couple times if Moss is actually the one defending Scientology.  The only times I recall her saying something other than not your business have been on social media and I always wonder how much of celeb's social media is farmed out to Scientology handlers.

There is no chance of it but it would be hysterical if one of the more vicious defenders Scientologists wised up and got out.

3 minutes ago, italianguy626 said:

There was a clip of her in the montage of Scientology celebs on last night's show.

I'm more thinking about the interviews she's done.  There's clips of pretty much everyone.  But flashing a picture is getting off easy.  She has covered some of them specifically on the show and others she has told stories about in interviews.  I don't recall her telling any stories about Lewis.

5 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

If not for the friends with Leah part, I'd wonder if it was Elizabeth Moss.  Mostly because I think that would be most upsetting to Miscavige right now outside of Cruise because her career is doing well.  I've also wondered a couple times if Moss is actually the one defending Scientology.  The only times I recall her saying something other than not your business have been on social media and I always wonder how much of celeb's social media is farmed out to Scientology handlers.

There is no chance of it but it would be hysterical if one of the more vicious defenders Scientologists wised up and got out.

Moss was recently put on the spot.  She was asked a question in which CO$ was compared to A Handmaid's Tale, in which women are suppressed, and Moss gave a BS answer.  Here's what EW had to say:

The comment section of the post was flooded with admiration and praise, and Moss, who nabbed an Emmy nomination for her role on the hit Hulu series, took the time to answer a few — including responding to one fan, who brought up the perceived similarities between Scientology and Gilead, the totalitarian society ruled by a fictional fundamentalist regime in Handmaid’s.

“Love this adaptation so much,” Instagram user moelybanks wrote. “Question though, does it make you think twice about Scientology? Both Gilead and Scientology both believe that all outside sources (aka news) are wrong or evil… it’s just very interesting.”

“That’s actually not true at all about Scientology,” Moss responded. “Religious freedom and tolerance and understanding the truth and equal rights for every race, religion and creed are extremely important to me. The most important things to me probably. And so Gilead and THT hit me on a very personal level. Thanks for the interesting question!”

The fan appeared to take Moss’ rebuttal in stride.

“Thank you for taking the time to try and explain a little,” the Instagram user wrote. “Either way, you do you and imma do me and if that makes us happy i supposed that’s all that matters.”

I actually enjoyed Moss being challenged, as she wants to portray herself as a feminist.  As a Scientologist, she's not even a humanist.

4 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Moss was recently put on the spot.  She was asked a question in which CO$ was compared to A Handmaid's Tale, in which women are suppressed, and Moss gave a BS answer.  Here's what EW had to say:

I actually enjoyed Moss being challenged, as she wants to portray herself as a feminist.  As a Scientologist, she's not even a humanist.

That was the one I was referring to. She answered on the internet.  Has she defended Co$ face to face with an interviewer?

The interesting thing about that quote to me is, that she said religious freedom, tolerance, truth, equality etc. are important to her. She didn't say it was important to the Co$. Yes, she agreed that it was not true that the Co$ believes all outside sources are wrong and evil, but you could argue, that the ones that don't mention the Co$ are okay-ish.

Buuuut maybe I'm reaching because I'd hope it's her. I just can't imagine her, with Handmaid's Tale (that's got to have you thinking!) and the publicity about Leah and the show to still worship everything. According to the bunker, her parents haven't been active in a long time, so that'd be a plus. And she avoids talking about the Co$ and I read an article she doesn't even want to talk to friends about it- not typical behaviour for the church...

Here's the relevant excerpt:

Moss has defended her refusal to talk about Scientology as a matter of privacy, as she put it in a Guardian interview last year:

“It is weird for me to be put in the position where I am like, ‘No, I can’t. I don’t really want to talk about this.’ You feel kind of like, I am a nice person who likes to talk about stuff. I also get the curiosity. I get the fascination. I become fascinated with things that are none of my business as well. I am just fascinated when someone breaks up with somebody. I want to know all about it. I am very interested in what people are wearing, and all of that kind of thing, but you have a right to your privacy.”

She did the same thing back in 2014, talking to Willa Paskin at Vulture, again mysteriously implying that people who judge Scientology harshly just don’t know what they’re talking about:

We are almost at the ocean when I bring up Scientology, the church Moss was raised in. Her affiliation with the church remains the strange, odd fact of her biography, the thing that does not belong in her regular-chick story. “I’m not going to talk about it anymore,” she says firmly. “I said what it meant to me, and anyone can go and look at that if they want to know what I feel. But now it’s private, off limits.”

She has previously spoken about how the church is personally helpful to her, not anti-gay, and “grossly misunderstood by the media.” But Moss does not talk about Scientology even with friends and seems very comfortable with how uncomfortable it makes other people. “I would feel the same way, honestly,” she says. “I think if there was something that I didn’t know and didn’t understand, I would probably feel as opinionated. You know how you’re opinionated about when someone breaks up? Celebrities break up and you just feel like you know what happened?”

It's also interesting to note that she always seems to compare the curiosity in her involvement in Scientology to the curiosity people have in a break-up.

Edited by tiramisue
1 hour ago, tiramisue said:

It's also interesting to note that she always seems to compare the curiosity in her involvement in Scientology to the curiosity people have in a break-up.

Yeah, that's a weird comparison, imo.

On 9/20/2017 at 1:15 AM, 3girlsforus said:

This is just big speculation, but if it is true and it's someone who was friends with Leah, then I would think Leah would know about it. And since they seem to be doing up to the minute editing of the show I don't think they would include photos of someone they knew is getting out. So since they showed Christensen, I'm thinking it's not her. 

when I saw it, I was like," Oh, it's got to be Kirstie Alley.  Well, of course it isn't, so I tried to think of all of Leah's show-biz friends.  

And then I remembered, I don't really know Leah Remini so I don't know who ANY of her friends are.

Edited by smorbie

Isn't it odd that Moss doesn't talk about it?  I mean, based on the last episode, isn't part of being a celebrity in CO$ almost require that they try to recruit others?  I'm surprised that she isn't hounded like Leah was about Kevin James considering she is a member of the cult.

14 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

This would be amazing!!!!

26 minutes ago, TheGreenWave said:

Isn't it odd that Moss doesn't talk about it?  I mean, based on the last episode, isn't part of being a celebrity in CO$ almost require that they try to recruit others?  I'm surprised that she isn't hounded like Leah was about Kevin James considering she is a member of the cult.

How do we know that TIIC aren't all over her to get cast members from Handsmaid into the legion of doom?   She's not going to make a public statement, nor is the legion about who they're trying to recruit.

Here's a dumb question--

Given that there aren't many possible names for the blind item, it seems like there aren't that many high-profile Scienos in Hollywood. I guess I'd been envisioning a behind-the-scenes network that helps some of them land jobs, meaning Scienos in other aspects of the industry (agents, casting, whatever). Is that not the case? If not, why are the known scienos not shunned as weirdos by the rest of Hollywood? I thought Hollywood was this very insular, 'you're in or you're out' kinda thing. 

In the case of Elisabeth Moss, it's clear why she lands jobs--she's a really fine actress. But what about someone like Laura Prepon? 

5 hours ago, tiramisue said:

4 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Yeah, that's a weird comparison, imo.

I think that comes from Moss' strange break-up with Fred Armisen. It was a strange break-up because neither had much to say about it besides it being entirely Armisen's fault. Apparently, Armisen's only nice until he gets the woman he's pursuing. I actually suspect that Moss being a Scientologist might have made her more desirable to Armisen. Because of the insane secret keeping in Co$, Moss might have seemed more mysterious than she is. After Armisen gets the woman he's pursuing, he turns into a complete dickhead. He cheats endlessly. He may or may not be passing around diseases. He's also very vocal about feeling like he deserves a hot famous woman.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/08/fred-armisen-elisabeth-moss-marriage_n_2433188.html

http://people.com/celebrity/elisabeth-moss-calls-her-brief-marriage-to-fred-armisen-extremely-traumatic/

I'm sure that the Co$ encouraged Moss to stay in the marriage in hopes that they could get their hooks into SNL and comedy circles, which will never happen because comedians ask questions.

(Forgive me if this has already been covered; read back five pages and didn't see the topic).  I've always wondered if the accusations against Kidman's father, a psychologist (that he was involved in a high level satanic pedo ring) were somehow connected to CO$ ratfucking; both as retribution/a warning directly to Kidman to stay silent (and posssibly a secondary warning to Katie Holmes that her own father could be similarly smeared).

Fiona Barrett (the accuser) doesn't have any obvious ties to CO$,  but it just smells like something they'd do.

Edited by film noire
1 hour ago, film noire said:

(Forgive me if this has already been covered; read back five pages and didn't see the topic).  I've always wondered if the accusations against Kidman's father, a psychologist (that he was involved in a high level satanic pedo ring) were somehow connected to CO$ ratfucking; both as retribution/a warning directly to Kidman to stay silent, and a secondary warning to Katie Holmes that her own father could be similarly smeared.

Fiona Barrett (the accuser) doesn't have any obvious ties to CO$,  but it just smells like something they'd do.

Wow! I had to look this up. I found a couple of sites that brought it up (one tied him to the pizzagate ridiculousness). I couldn't find a reputable site reporting it. Not saying it doesn't exist, but the accusations sound really out there. Like the scene from "Eyes Wide Shut", but with children.

1 hour ago, CatMomma said:

Wow! I had to look this up. I found a couple of sites that brought it up (one tied him to the pizzagate ridiculousness). I couldn't find a reputable site reporting it. Not saying it doesn't exist, but the accusations sound really out there. Like the scene from "Eyes Wide Shut", but with children.

Here's a site criticizing the media  for "reporting" on Barrett (the Aussie news had more "regular" outlets uncritically passing on this shit, as I understand it);

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4343957.htm

I think she's a nutcase (the details are hard to believe) but if she's sincere -- deluded, but sincere -- maybe it's a screen memory (to cope with any real abuse). 

However ludicrous, it must have been horrific for Kidman and her family to have all that hideous, sensationalistic crap out there. Her father was a respected psychologist  (he started a foundation focusing on youth mental illness back in the late 1970s) so he'd be a twofer for CO$; suppressive shrink and father of apostate Nicole.

Edited by film noire

I will always love John Travolta.  He'll always be Danny Zuko, Tony Manero, Vinny Barbarino to me, and I won't let $cientology take that from me.

He's also a pilot, you know, and a huge 747 enthusiast, as am I.  I saw a show once about the 747 and they interviewed Travolta about his love of the plane.  He was allowed to sit in the cockpit of a 747 flight and was even handed the controls at one point (monitored, of course).  When he was telling the interviewer about this, he was like a little boy on Christmas morning.

9 hours ago, kieyra said:

Here's a dumb question--

Given that there aren't many possible names for the blind item, it seems like there aren't that many high-profile Scienos in Hollywood. I guess I'd been envisioning a behind-the-scenes network that helps some of them land jobs, meaning Scienos in other aspects of the industry (agents, casting, whatever). Is that not the case? If not, why are the known scienos not shunned as weirdos by the rest of Hollywood? I thought Hollywood was this very insular, 'you're in or you're out' kinda thing. 

In the case of Elisabeth Moss, it's clear why she lands jobs--she's a really fine actress. But what about someone like Laura Prepon? 

My first thought on reading your question is this:  There are SO MANY weirdos in Hollywood that the Co$ ones probably don't stand out that much there.  

Please indulge a dumb question from someone who isn't really up on Hollywood gossip and relationships. Was Katie Holmes a Scientologist before she got together with Tom? If not, how did she end up with Tom? My understanding, which could be wrong, is that Tom's image is/was important enough to the COS that they found him a COS girlfriend at one point. Did they put Tom and Katie together too? If Katie was a scientologist before Tom I have less sympathy for her than if she wasn't in the "church" and thought it was a nice, albeit expensive, self-help group that Tom liked. Of course if she wasn't in the church I wonder why Tom chose her in the first place. Wouldn't someone who is the COB's little buddy only want an established COS wife? Or is agreeing to be in COS good enough? 

11 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Please indulge a dumb question from someone who isn't really up on Hollywood gossip and relationships. Was Katie Holmes a Scientologist before she got together with Tom? If not, how did she end up with Tom? My understanding, which could be wrong, is that Tom's image is/was important enough to the COS that they found him a COS girlfriend at one point. Did they put Tom and Katie together too? If Katie was a scientologist before Tom I have less sympathy for her than if she wasn't in the "church" and thought it was a nice, albeit expensive, self-help group that Tom liked. Of course if she wasn't in the church I wonder why Tom chose her in the first place. Wouldn't someone who is the COB's little buddy only want an established COS wife? Or is agreeing to be in COS good enough? 

I'm pretty sure Katie was not a scientologist before Tom, I think she was raised Christian/Catholic?  Not sure how much she was studied while they were together.  They did try to find him someone within the church but that didn't work out.  This person wasn't really famous though.

I believe the church recruited Katie for Tom.  They tried to recruit Scarlet Johansen as well, but she bolted as soon as she figured out what was happening.  As others have mentioned Katie's career has been going nowhere since Dawson's Creek, so maybe that was why she was more willing.  Compared to Scarlet who doesn't need Tom's star power to further her career.

No, Katie Holmes was Catholic. After the Nazanin Boniadi setup described in the Vanity Fair article, they set their sights on an established actress, rather than an already devout Scieno. I believe Keri Russel and Scarlett Johansen were also auditioned around this time too. Katie Holmes was coming off Dawson's Creek and had just landed a role in Batman Begins, but hadn't really established a film career yet.

53 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Here are a couple of Vanity Fair articles about the process of selecting Nazanin Boniadi for Cruise before he met Katie Holmes:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2012/09/tom-cruise-scientology-marriage-katie-holmes

More in-depth: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/10/katie-holmes-divorce-scientology

Here's a New York Post story detailing the process: http://nypost.com/2012/07/01/how-katie-was-cast-to-play-tom-cruises-wife/

The article says Katie had a crush on Tom since she was young, so hooking her wasn't difficult.

Edited by italianguy626
Added New York Post article

Also, IMO, remember how Kidman's career took off when Tom dumped her thanks to Rathbun?  I think Katie thought Tom would help her career.  And let's see how that worked out.  He wouldn't let her continue the Batman franchise and wouldn't let her be in a role where she had to kiss someone (is what I read, anyway). 

It hasn't quite worked out for her the way it did for Nicole, though.  Does she even work anymore?

Never mind....not enough coffee yet.

I really don't need either one of these women to speak out on Tom.  What I want them to be able to do is each move on with their lives.  Kidman has been apart from Tom longer than they were married.  How will she know what's happened to him in the ensuing 16 years (because apparently during their marriage, he had stepped back from the church).  Katie has a young child (yes, I still consider 11 as young), why set this little girl up to be harassed by the crazy legion?  She gets enough harassment from the paparazzi, why add another layer.

Edited by LegalParrot81
16 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Sorry to disrupt the Tom talk, but I was watching Whose Line last night and the guest star was Marisol Nichols.  I didn't recognize her from any acting roles (apparently she's currently on Riverdale) but her name did ring a bell.  Yep, she's a $cientologist.  I couldn't finish the episode.

I know her from Vegas Vacation (as Audrey) and some episodes of Cold Case where she's the girlfriend of one of the detectives and she is mentally ill and ultimately kills herself (that's some irony there).  She did a few eps of NCIS, and she was on 24 and some other shows I didn't watch.

I live in the Tampa Bay area - when I moved here 18 years ago, I thought Scientology was a weird celebrity thing. I soon learned otherwise. (The St. Pete Times did a really great job exposing the cult. My friends in other areas thought that I was WAY too against the cult. They're all learning now, too.)

The corporation I used to work for had a private airline hangar that celebrities often used - and it took me a while to realize that the majority of them were scientologists, and that they were usually with John Travolta. The ladies who worked at the hangar LOVED him. He seems like a very sweet and kind man, which is why it's so hard for me to reconcile that with his involvement in this cult. Most of the celebrities I have no sympathy for - him, for some reason, I do. Cruise can suck it. If you stack him on top of Miscavige you almost get a whole man. 

I had no idea Haggis was once executive producer of The Facts of Life. I love him even more now, lol. 

This is such a great and important show. Kudos to Leah and everyone involved for being so brave. This is one of those gigs where like, the sound people have to really think, "Is it worth it? Will I be fair-gamed?" Not sure if I could do it. 

Does anyone else recall the rumor that both Isabella and Connor were adopted from Scientologist mothers?  I can't remember where I read that, but, now that I've been watching this series about how there are forced abortions because children are a no-no in the Sea Org, this theory doesn't sound so far fetched....

4 minutes ago, TheGreenWave said:

Does anyone else recall the rumor that both Isabella and Connor were adopted from Scientologist mothers?  I can't remember where I read that, but, now that I've been watching this series about how there are forced abortions because children are a no-no in the Sea Org, this theory doesn't sound so far fetched....

I've heard that rumor, but I don't think it came from a reputable source.  I do know that Cruise flat out denies that Connor is biracial, which at least suggests there's some racism there. 

2 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I've heard that rumor, but I don't think it came from a reputable source.  I do know that Cruise flat out denies that Connor is biracial, which at least suggests there's some racism there. 

Ah - thanks!  On your second point, holy sh*t.  It's already bad enough that CO$ is so mentally damaging to people - denying individual identities, denying homosexuality, denying that mental disorders exist, denying treatment of medicines for those disorders.  Now that?  Nothing like robbing you of part of your racial identity.  My God.

14 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

If asked about Connor's genetic background, he couldn't just say "He's my son - that's all that matters."

When I thought I couldn't dislike TommyGirl any more than I did.... 

8 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

@&*!^%. I have so many questions. What would prompt someone to ask this? If I could be convinced that all those stories about Scientology being mad racist weren't true (I cannot be convinced of that) then why would Tom deny this? And, most pressingly, what in the everlasting Hell is wrong with Tom Cruise?

On 9/22/2017 at 9:09 AM, absnow54 said:

I believe Keri Russel and Scarlett Johansen were also auditioned around this time too.

What?  They "audition" women for the role of a CO$ member's girlfriend?  I don't understand why any woman would agree to this. Do they know they're auditioning?

On 9/22/2017 at 10:54 PM, BabyVegas said:

@&*!^%. I have so many questions. What would prompt someone to ask this? If I could be convinced that all those stories about Scientology being mad racist weren't true (I cannot be convinced of that) then why would Tom deny this? And, most pressingly, what in the everlasting Hell is wrong with Tom Cruise?

Do you mean why would someone ask the race of Cruise's son? Obviously everyone is different. I suspect journalists would ask just because they feel the need to know every tiny detail about everything. But it isn't usually for someone to ask an adopted person, of any color/race, where they are "from" etc. I am white. I'm adopted and when people find out they tend to ask. What I've discovered is what people really want to know is whether I know anything about my biological history. My husband is not white so my children are biracial. They get asked their race  - although not with that exact word. Usually it's when they are with just me and the tone is along the lines of 'how did that pasty, white woman make babies with such gorgeous olive skin' LOL I'm sure some people mean it offensively. I figure they aren't worth my time or concern. 

What I don't get is denying a child's racial makeup - if indeed that is what Cruise is doing. It certainly appears that his son is biracial. Big freaking deal. It's not like Cruise is trying to pass him off as the biological child of Nicole and himself.  So if everyone knows the kids are adopted, why not either answer the question or say you don't see any point in a question like that? I really doubt he doesn't know the biological history of his kids. I can't see him signing up for a closed adoption - at least as far as the information goes. And if it bothers you, why did you adopt that particular child in the first place? 

On 9/22/2017 at 11:17 AM, smorbie said:

Also, IMO, remember how Kidman's career took off when Tom dumped her thanks to Rathbun?  I think Katie thought Tom would help her career.  And let's see how that worked out.  He wouldn't let her continue the Batman franchise and wouldn't let her be in a role where she had to kiss someone (is what I read, anyway). 

It hasn't quite worked out for her the way it did for Nicole, though.  Does she even work anymore?

well, she's not a very good actress. that could have something to do with it.

On 9/22/2017 at 1:36 PM, RedheadZombie said:

Loathe as I am to defend Cruise, he never denied Connor was bi-racial. He just made the bullshit answer about how we are all humans, color blind, blah blah blah.

Still an asshole but for a different racist reason.

17 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

I swear @Nancypants I scream that at every episode! 

So do I !!!!

ETA : My guess is that 1st season was... what it was (as in : "Let's do it, and see what's coming from it. Yup an Emmy ! yay !") and the 2nd one is to "surf" on the raised awareness started on season one vs. the large audience who never get a clue about was $ciento was... I really see it as a : "Ok, now, authorities... You've seen. Listened. What are you waiting for ? People are there, ready to speak, in order to stop that huge scam. Are you on board ? Will you eventually LISTEN to what they have to say ? To what they endured ? Witnessed ? What else do you need ?" And my wish is an ep regarding the "Where the eff is Shelly" stuff... And I really hope it will be featured on this season, last ep, as an "incentive" for the authorities to DO THEIR JOB ffs !

Edited by Diane Mars
1 hour ago, Diane Mars said:

So do I !!!!

ETA : My guess is that 1st season was... what it was (as in : "Let's do it, and see what's coming from it. Yup an Emmy ! yay !") and the 2nd one is to "surf" on the raised awareness started on season one vs. the large audience who never get a clue about was $ciento was... I really see it as a : "Ok, now, authorities... You've seen. Listened. What are you waiting for ? People are there, ready to speak, in order to stop that huge scam. Are you on board ? Will you eventually LISTEN to what they have to say ? To what they endured ? Witnessed ? What else do you need ?" And my wish is an ep regarding the "Where the eff is Shelly" stuff... And I really hope it will be featured on this season, last ep, as an "incentive" for the authorities to DO THEIR JOB ffs !

I agree with you about how the show has proceded and expanded, and now that people are really paying attention I want the authorities to a) find Shelly and b) take the tax exemption away from this slimy cult.  

24 minutes ago, jrlr said:

I agree with you about how the show has proceded and expanded, and now that people are really paying attention I want the authorities to a) find Shelly and b) take the tax exemption away from this slimy cult.  

Exactly.