Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: New Kids in the House

Bort

I didn't fully enjoy this as much as I thought I would. I wasn't a New Kids fan, though, so a lot of the references were lost on me.

I did enjoy high on pain meds DJ, although they probably could have gone a little bit farther with the joke. 

Matt really is a gem on this show. He really did try to get a gift that they could do together, but Steve won out. Actually, what Steve did might have made me really like him for the first time for the revival. I've been so lukewarm on him because of his obsession for DJ that him being selfless and giving the credit to Matt really earned him points in my eyes. It actually reminded me of the Steve that I really did love in the original series. 

Well, I'll just say it now: Fernando grew on me. I embraced the cheese and now he's alright. 

As much as I did enjoy the end scene when all three girls got to go up on stage....you guys did it better with the Beach Boys.

• Love 1
Just now, Spencer Hastings said:

Kimmy Gibler is my spirit animal.  Just insert Hanson and it was like looking into my future.

The pure joy on Kimmy's face at seeing the New Kids was pretty sweet. Of COURSE Kimmy has been stalking them on the side.

There's something really sweet about seeing middle-aged women re-living their youth by going to concerts/fan events for their favorite boybands growing up. I saw the series about New Kids fan cruises, a few on the Duran Duran fandom, and a few on the Bay City Rollers fandom. In a couple of years, I'm totally down for Backstreet Boys or 98 Degrees revivals.

• Love 2

Loved this episodue this is probably one of my favorites, I loved Kimmy trying her hardest to get tickets for DJ and the wild hijicks and Steve letting Matt take the credit for tickets, thats the Steve I remember not this creepy stalker guy, I just don't buy Ramona being that excited to see them, and screaming, but great episodue.

• Love 2
On 12/11/2016 at 1:40 AM, methodwriter85 said:

In a couple of years, I'm totally down for Backstreet Boys or 98 Degrees revivals.

A couple of years? Man, BSB is still touring (and I'll admit I've gone to see them).

What I don't understand about the DJ/ Steve/Matt triangle is that Steve has apparently let DJ get away once, while presumably living in the same town and acting as her podiatrist. Was he as clingy and co-dependent when she was dating/engaged/married to Tommy Fuller? Why did he pick now? 

This is the first time Steve felt like Steve from Full House ... which I both love and hate. Love because that's the Steve that should have been around from the beginning (maybe minus Matt, though I'd desperately miss Matt) and hate because I'm already so invested in Matt. 

I had that this is shaping up to be a "Matt realizes that Steve is better for DJ than he is and lets her go" situation because it's going to make me even more sad that DJ ends up with Steve. :/

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, McManda said:

A couple of years? Man, BSB is still touring (and I'll admit I've gone to see them).

Yeah. They've got their first Vegas residency at Planet Hollywood in March, June, and July of next year (the fastest-selling in Vegas history, FYI) and will be releasing a new album in 2017, as well. Since their hey-day, they've put out records in 2005, 2007 (as 4), 2009 (as 4), and 2013 (Kevin returned in 2012). They toured with the New Kids in 2011-12. I finally got to see them in 2010 and saw them with NKOTB. 

I'm a big fan. lol

I loved seeing the fangirling. That's totally me with BSB. 

• Love 3

As a New Kids fan, this melted my 80s loving heart. It was great having my own personal flashback to my childhood. DJ all over Joey was a riot. That should have been me!

Steve giving Matt the credit was the Steve I remembered and loved. 

• Love 2
On 12/11/2016 at 1:40 AM, methodwriter85 said:

There's something really sweet about seeing middle-aged women re-living their youth by going to concerts/fan events for their favorite boybands growing up. I saw the series about New Kids fan cruises, a few on the Duran Duran fandom, and a few on the Bay City Rollers fandom. In a couple of years, I'm totally down for Backstreet Boys or 98 Degrees revivals.

I will just add the my boss has been on quite a few BSB cruises. His last one was a Mediterranean cruise that he said was amazing! :)

Edited by AG921
  • Love 1

Andrea Barber was great here, as always. I like the nostalgia, but they missed an opportunity to have the kids on the show need NKOTB explained to them. It was too much to assume that Ramona would be excited about some band she wouldn't have heard of.

I'm too old to have been a NKOTB fan, which also makes me too old to have watched "Full House". But never mind that. If you like BSB, there's an excellent documentary on Netflix about their current day travails. I'll watch a documentary on pretty much any topic.

Edited to add (and I can't believe I'm still thinking about the integrity of this plot) what WAS the reason DJ never got to sit 1st row at a NKOTB concert? She seemed kind of spoiled as a kid, certainly had better clothes than I did. It would have been nice if they explained that she was supposed to go in the 90s, but then the plan went afoul for some reason and it never happened.

Edited by purplemonkey
7 hours ago, purplemonkey said:

Edited to add (and I can't believe I'm still thinking about the integrity of this plot) what WAS the reason DJ never got to sit 1st row at a NKOTB concert? She seemed kind of spoiled as a kid, certainly had better clothes than I did. It would have been nice if they explained that she was supposed to go in the 90s, but then the plan went afoul for some reason and it never happened.

I can see going to a NKOTB concert as a kid/teenager, but first row? Those would have been pretty hard to get and the Tanner's were comfortable, but not rich. 

• Love 1

Good point, @KaveDweller. Because I have no life, I just priced current NKOTB tickets, and it'd be something like $300+ apiece. (Side note: are the tickets less today in real dollars because NKOTB isn't as popular as it was?) I guess the only way this plot works is if Kimmy paid much less than that because they were fakes, unless the Fullers/Gibblers have a healthy entertainment budget and Kimmy planned for the expense. (Again, I know I'm being ridiculous.) The dream board seemed more like an adult's bucket list than a young person's "things I want to do someday" list. Ryan Gosling is 3 years younger than DJ, so we'd have to think that if she was a teenager when she made the board, it was because she followed him on the Mickey Mouse Club. I don't know the salaries of a Wake Up, San Francisco! host vs a self-employed veterinarian with a widow's pension, but I still think Danny could have ponied up back in the day, unless there was a life lesson he had about not spending so much.

TL;DR for a show that revolves around call-backs and nostalgia, I'd like some more accuracy, please!

10 hours ago, purplemonkey said:

Good point, @KaveDweller. Because I have no life, I just priced current NKOTB tickets, and it'd be something like $300+ apiece. (Side note: are the tickets less today in real dollars because NKOTB isn't as popular as it was?) I guess the only way this plot works is if Kimmy paid much less than that because they were fakes, unless the Fullers/Gibblers have a healthy entertainment budget and Kimmy planned for the expense.

I would think fakes would be just as expensive, otherwise why would someone bother forging them. I'm guessing Kimmy was able to afford a pricey gift because she no longer has to pay any kind of rent/mortgage.