Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Two Journeys

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

Ragnar's fleet is shipwrecked and washes up on the Wessex coast, but without enough survivors to form a credible force, Ragnar and Ivar have a difficult decision to make. Rollo meets his Viking comrades again and can't resist the urge to join Bjorn's voyage, risking his marriage and his new Frankish identity. Ragnar too is taking a risk as he carries Ivar towards the Royal Villa in Wessex – throwing himself and his son upon the mercy of King Ecbert.

• Love 1

It was interesting to see the old age makeup for Ecbert and Rollo - a hint of gray, extremely wrinkled eyes, and a smooth forehead.
It doesn't look like Athelwolf or Edith have aged a bit.

Ubbe and Sigurd are gullible, why did they both go to Lagertha?  Guess they weren't serious about protecting their mother.

Ivar had some cool scenes.  I can't help but laugh at how Ragnar is with him, pulling his arm while he's crawling and throwing him around when enemies are near.

I was surprised to see Torvi so willing to help Lagertha invade, she still has kids in the village.

• Love 1

Great episode once again.  I found all the storylines to be engaging.

Despite brutally killing their companions, Ragnar and Ivar's demented father and son relationship was a joy to watch.

Clive Standen gave one of his strongest performances tonight I thought.  I like how well he told Bjorn about what the librarian was saying.  It was great to see him interacting with the Vikings again (loved when his son stuck his tongue out at Floki) and I'm glad they didn't kill him.  Should be an exciting and interesting journey.

I used to say that Athelwolf looked like Hodor in a daze but he looks like Jon Snow now.  He also looks like he hasn't aged.  Judith wasn't around long enough to suck the interest out of the show thankfully.

I was surprised at Torvi working with Lagertha to invade.  She was close to Lagertha and I always thought her son would have made a good heir to Lagertha's earldom.  I'm glad Lagertha didn't kill Ragnar's sons and the battle scene was once again impressive.  Nobody does them quite like Vikings.

• Love 3

Ah, nature hikes with Ragnar and Ivar!  So pleasant and fun!  And it includes all the classic staples like piggy back rides, preparing yourselves for your eventual capture, and, of course, the iconic "Kill everyone else in your party to make you less threatening" bit.  Fun for the entire family!  Travis Fimmel and Alex Hogh Anderson continue to work perfectly together.  And Alex managed to make Ivar look scary when he was crawling around, massacring their companions.  He maybe be a cripple, but he almost became a horror villain then, especially the time he crawled to the final woman, and she couldn't do anything to stop him.

Ah, Rollo!  Good to see you again.  Should have known you couldn't stay in your boring palace for too long, after you heard what Bjorn is planning.  But man, talk about a hell of initiation/hazing for betraying them!  Bjorn is not fucking around this season.  I am loving Bjorn as the man in charge of a raiding party.

Ecbert!  Much older now, but Linus Roache is still bringing the charm.  Not surprised that he isn't too concern yet, because he knows Ragnar isn't invincible.  Aethelwolf is still the little worry wart though.  Oh, and Judith is still there, I see.

Lagertha makes her big move, and pretty much has everything planned out, from getting Torvi to help, and getting Ragnar's other two sons out of the way (but not harmed, at least.)  It looked like Aslaug saw what was to come in one of her visions though, and is preparing to surrender, maybe? Or does she have another trick up her sleeve?  Hard to tell with her.

Floki's anger over Rollo was cracking me up.

The stunt and extra work continues to be a highlight.  Really feels like everyone is giving it 100%, from top to bottom.  It gives this show a very authentic feel.

Next week looks like it will be fun!

• Love 7

God, I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I'm over Lagertha. I just don't care about her anymore. I don't know what it is about this show, but they really know how to ruin characters for me. It happened with Ragnar early on and then with Athelstan, and now Lagertha.
I still want Astrid to just go away.

On the plus side, Torvi has grown on me. I really like her now. Probably has a lot to do with how adorable she and Bjorn are, but she's so much better.

Finally, back to Wessex with my two faves Ecbert and Aethelwulf!  ugh, but then there's Judith.

• Love 4

I feel Rollo's adventure with Bjorn is like his midlife crisis race car purchase. 

I don't know what Ragnar hopes to accomplish - maybe this whole disaster of a  trip is a more fancy version of trying to hang himself.

• Love 8

Gisla sitting on her throne, pouting and flanked by the rug rats, was funny.

OMG, Katherine Winnick is so gorgeous. Lagertha still kicks ass! I wouldn't mind Astrid so much if she had a period hairstyle. Her hair is too anachronistic.

The actor playing Ivar is awesome. He and Travis Fimmel are great together.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Silverglitter said:

God, I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I'm over Lagertha. I just don't care about her anymore. I don't know what it is about this show, but they really know how to ruin characters for me. 

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Lagertha storms Kattegat and kills innocent people because Aslaug screwed her hubby twenty years ago? It's kind of hard to find anything admirable about that. It's not like the villagers have a dog in this fight. At this point I'm Team Aslaug.

Ragnar and Ivar are awesome to watch. And omg, the feels when Ragnar told Ivar he had no plans to return home. The actor playing Ivar is just killing it, he's awesome.

So happy to see my favorites, Ecbert and Rollo. Gisla can fall off a cliff, but thankfully her appearance was brief.

• Love 2

Lagertha's always been about her family, so this move makes sense to me. If Ragnar ruled Kattegat, I could see her trusting him to make the smart choice for transition of power amongst his sons. But he's gone on a death wish last mission and Asslog will, of course, do everything in her might to see that her idiot sons get everything.  Even if Aslaug screwed him out of his birthright, Bjorn wouldn't have the heart to fight his brothers for it. So momma and wifey have to step it and do it themselves. Good on Torvi for trying to lock shit up for her hubby and kids instead of waiting to let those meatheads take over and screw things up.

If Kattegat even exists long enough, as Lagertha pwned the whole area in one day with one earldom. Aslaug has clearly been coasting on Ragnar's reputation to keep things safe and orderly and the wannabe King of Norway is coming for them, eventually. It's been what, 20 yrs, since Ragnar took over as king? Kattegat is the weakest, defensively, it's ever been even while overflowing with cash. Someone needs to step in and rule the roost of the Lodbrook family wants to stay in power, and Aslaug sure as hell wasn't doing it.

The slave girl honeypot was one last example of how incompetent Ragnar's other sons are. That trap was so obvious, it felt like a test, and they utterly failed. At their age, Ragnar was pulling a double-cross on his King while managing Rollo's murderous ambitions. And Bjorn was literally navigating between two different assassination plots with ease. Ragnar wanted lots of sons, but it appears all of them but Bjorn are uniformly trash when it comes to anything other than putting an axe in someone.

I kind of love that Rollo knew none of the Viking crew would believe him if he asked them to wait a night while he sent for a more complete map and a historian to explain the route to them. Just threw their asses in the dungeon to buy himself some time. Did he say his youngest was named Siggy? That would make me kind of happy. Gisla was never that stupid before, why did they regress her to a 18 year old trophy wife? I feel like last season's Gisla would have articulated all the reasons why leaving your entire duchy behind to go raiding with a bunch of Vikings who hate your guts is a bad idea while throwing her tantrum. Instead she's acting like she didn't spend the 1st year of their marriage repulsed at his Beserker Viking existence. 

Whoo, Ragnar is going full martyr, huh? It was kind of sweet to watch Ivar interact with his father and see that he's just a man. And getting affirmation from Ragnar about his legs is just what he needed. I felt so sad every time he kept trying to antagonize Ragnar into telling Ivar he was a burden. He must really hate himself. That smug asshole facade is hiding a lot of damage. Ivar murdering people in the night was awesome and like something straight out of a horror film. No one expects to get cut down from the ankles, go get e'm Ivar!

Edited by rozen
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, peridot said:

I was surprised to see Torvi so willing to help Lagertha invade, she still has kids in the village.

Torvi is Lagertha's daughter-in-law.  And her kids and their allies in the town were all perfectly safe.  And except for Guthrum, they are Lagertha's grandchildren and she has a warm spot in her heart for Guthrum (sp?) too looking after him for several years.  In case anyone forgot he was fathered by Jarl Borg and threatened by Erlunder which made Torvi go with Erlunder in the first place with Lagertha keeping Guthrum as a protective guaurdian. 

And I noted Lagertha particularly asked after him when Torvi had come to visit.  Which says to me that Guthrum will become a player among the new generation of vikings eventually.

And Lagertha taking Kattegat back is as much for Bjorn in the end as anything else since Lagertha has no blood heirs other than him and his family.  So why wouldn't Torvi be actively helping Lagertha as much as she could.

Someone up thread said they didn't find Lagertha's action honorable.  Maybe not in our culture but they were totally honorable from the Viking point of view.  Ragnar killing his own men was the less honorable action of the episode.  But hey it's a TV show so kill off those actors.  It's fine with me.

And I agree with everyone about loving the daddy/son outing with Ragnar and Ivar.  Ivar is a young monster in the make but he is an interesting monster.  Both actors are great.

In actual history Rollo,

Spoiler

on his death bed, renounced Christianity and re-claimed his Viking roots and his Norse gods.  So I guess Hirst would rather he reclaim his "vikingness" now where he can make use of him in the story-line when he can still stand and fight.  I'm not fond of the character but if this means we will be spared any more scenes with his wife (my least favorite character in the series even more so than Aslaug) then that's okay with me.

In other news, so really really glad to see King Ecbert again.  Looks like next week we get scenes between him and Ragnar which are always first rate.

Edited by green
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

OMG, Katherine Winnick is so gorgeous. Lagertha still kicks ass! I wouldn't mind Astrid so much if she had a period hairstyle. Her hair is too anachronistic.

Heheh.  Astrid looks like she should be drumming with Joan Jett with that haircut.  I could see both her and Ivar in a band together.

Speaking of Ivar, I'm curious as to how he is supposed to end up returning to Kattegat.  I hope he laughs his ass off at his brothers when he does.

• Love 5

It's interesting to read your praises of Alex Hogh Andersen, who plays Ivar.  I agree.  It is apparent that Michael Hirst is trying to make us think less of Ragnar, so that when he meets his demise we won't be quite so upset.  I've said this somewhere before and can't cite the source where I read it, but it was always Hirst's plan to make the whole VIKINGS series about the SONS of Ragnar, focusing on Ivar.  I hope that the series is allowed to see this plan come to fruition without being cancelled.   Being a big Floki fan, I'd like to see more screen time for him.

• Love 3

I've hated Aslaug since the beginning so I'm all for Lagertha kicking her ass out of Kattegat. Ragnar and Lagertha prove their leadership on the battlefield not by wearing fancy jewelry and furs acting like they are above everyone. Plus Aslaug didn't win her way to being Queen of Kattegat she's been riding on the coattails of her husband that left. The Viking way is to fight your way to the top. Even being psychic Aslaug knows she'd lose if Lagertha challenged her to fight. 

I found it interesting that Lagertha still has supporters that were willing to fight for her. Or were those her people that Torvi snuck into town? 

Except for Bjorn and Ivar, the rest of Ragnar's sons are idiots. It was nice of Lagertha to spare them and get them away from their mother. 

I have to agree with Astrid ruining the ambiance of the show. She takes me out of the scene because she looks way to modern. They could've had a rebel viking in personality while keeping her looking like the rest of them. 

Ragnar's really become a sad sack in his declining years. He sailed to Wessex for suicide by his enemy. I don't know why he brought Ivar along on his suicide mission. How's he going to get back home without any ships or people? Ivar's a scary mofo though. It was pretty terrifying watch him roll around on the ground taking out all of those people. His upper body strength must be insane. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5

Of course one of Rollo's kids sticks his tongue at Floki. And of course Floki's expression in return is 'Oh, yeah? I'll kill you first." I love Floki: kids are the worst.

I was wondering how the Impasse of the Shield Walls would work out. I expected greater strength, or cleverer positioning to win out, like in a tug-of-war. Did not expect archers. Good call, Lagertha!

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

It's interesting to read your praises of Alex Hogh Andersen, who plays Ivar.  I agree.  It is apparent that Michael Hirst is trying to make us think less of Ragnar, so that when he meets his demise we won't be quite so upset.  I've said this somewhere before and can't cite the source where I read it, but it was always Hirst's plan to make the whole VIKINGS series about the SONS of Ragnar, focusing on Ivar.  I hope that the series is allowed to see this plan come to fruition without being cancelled.   Being a big Floki fan, I'd like to see more screen time for him.

It's so funny you should say this.  I just told a co-worker on Monday that I'll be glad when Ragnar is put out of his misery.  They have made him such a tragic and horrible person that I really don't like him much anymore (I used to ADORE him and couldn't imagine Vikings without him).  Now though, I pretty much just want him gone.  

Astrid wearing that long, black leather coat made me think of whatshername in the "Underworld" series, or any of the cast in "The Matrix" series.  I kept waiting for her to twirl around, coat tails flying, pulling guns out from beneath the waistband of her pants.  Yeah, she just doesn't fit.  And how many of "your" people did you kill there, Lagertha?  And what was up with that one quick shot of the little child fleeing the attackers, arms flung wide?  It was the same shot that some of us remember from the Vietnam War - the little girl burned by napalm.  That had to be deliberate.

Gosh, Ragnar.  You beg for people to accompany you on your trip across the ocean, in which they almost died during a storm, only to kill them all as they slept?  No wonder you have such a hard time finding people to help you on your journeys.  Since they didn't die in battle, no Valhalla for them, eh?  I hope you enjoy your snake pit.  And no Valhalla for you, either.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

Astrid wearing that long, black leather coat made me think of whatshername in the "Underworld" series, or any of the cast in "The Matrix" series.  

Lulz! You're thinking of Kate Beckinsale. I agree that Astrid's character is ridiculously out of place. Back in the earlier seasons I always thought Siggy looked too modern, but she pales in comparison to Astrid's 80s rocker. 

I'm interested to see what happens next week. My spidey senses tell me Aslaug isn't going to simply hand over the city she's spent the last decade building for her sons. She may not be a great battlefield warrior but she's far from stupid.

It also just occurred to me that Ragnar dying in Wessex means he'll no longer have scenes with any of the Vikings except Ivar. That's kind of a bummer. The last two episodes really were his good-bye tour.

31 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

Astrid wearing that long, black leather coat made me think of whatshername in the "Underworld" series, or any of the cast in "The Matrix" series.  I kept waiting for her to twirl around, coat tails flying, pulling guns out from beneath the waistband of her pants.  Yeah, she just doesn't fit.  And how many of "your" people did you kill there, Lagertha?  And what was up with that one quick shot of the little child fleeing the attackers, arms flung wide?  It was the same shot that some of us remember from the Vietnam War - the little girl burned by napalm.  That had to be deliberate.

Gosh, Ragnar.  You beg for people to accompany you on your trip across the ocean, in which they almost died during a storm, only to kill them all as they slept?  No wonder you have such a hard time finding people to help you on your journeys.  Since they didn't die in battle, no Valhalla for them, eh?  I hope you enjoy your snake pit.  And no Valhalla for you, either.

31 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

I hope you enjoy your snake pit.  And no Valhalla for you

LOL!

19 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

My spidey senses tell me Aslaug isn't going to simply hand over the city she's spent the last decade building for her sons. She may not be a great battlefield warrior but she's far from stupid.

Yeah, the previews make it look like Aslaug just hands Kattegat over to Lagertha but I think she might have something else in mind.  However, Lagertha isn't stupid so I believe (hope) she'll be on to Aslaug's tricks. 

Floki had me cracking up with his death glares at Rollo.  

I like how they writers are slowly easing Ragnar out of the story so that Ragnar-lovers like myself won't be so startled and sad when he finally meets his end.   

• Love 2

I read an article that says Astrid character is totally based on real life Astrid Kirchherr, Stuart Sutcliffe's girlfriend and the woman that gave the Beatles their famous haircut when they were in Hamburg. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

Didn't see Rollo's request to join the raid coming AT ALL. That was a nice little twist. He's had a comfy life for the past several years but no way he wasn't missing his former life.

Rollo couldn't wait to get away from Princess Mushmouth and the Three Rugrats.  I've been pissed off at him for a couple of seasons, but I'm happy to see him back with Bjorn and the gang.  Get your Viking on, Rollo! 

• Love 6

Ragnar and Ivar make an awesome team. I will be sad when Ragnar is gone. Fimmel has impressed me from the beginning. What an actor! His face and eyes can convey so much. "Bjørn" is very much like him.

Keel hauling Rollo was a great twist! 

I want Lagertha to grind AssLog into the mud. I have disliked this character from the beginning. She wouldn't have hesitated to kill Bjørn if she could were the situations reversed. I don't believe for a second either that she is going to just hand over Kattegat easily. Loved seeing Torvi in action! She and Lagertha working together makes perfect sense.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Didn't see Rollo's request to join the raid coming AT ALL. That was a nice little twist. He's had a comfy life for the past several years but no way he wasn't missing his former life.

There were quite a few WTF?! moments in this episode. Rollo going raiding with Bjorn, Torvi working with Lagertha, Ragnar killing his crewmembers, etc. 

The last one was the big shocker for me. When Ragnar told Ivar they needed to travel by themselves, I figured they were just going to find a way to ditch the others. I wasn't expecting a midnight killing frenzy. 

• Love 4

Yeah I noticed that stupid leather trenchcoat-looking thingie that Astrid was wearing in battle too.  Can't even dress for battle like a viking.  Then all the "ninja" moves that no viking would ever do.  Please kill her off asap!  Yes Season 4 is in the can but make it happen soon in Season 5!!!!!!!!!

Dammit, Hirst, I love your show.  I adore it even.  But you are out shark jumping with her and that Chinese woman earlier.  Stop trying to "top" yourself with crap like this and just tell the damn historic story as close as you can given you have to satisfy the drama gods as well.  We don't want odd ball characters that look totally out of place and way to modern to ruin the show and make it completely unbelievable. 

Also while l I have you here in my imagination ... really bad to have killed off Athelstan.  Show hasn't been the same since without basically the "conscience of the show" for lack of a better term being around.  You have to have at least one relatively "good" person among all these crazies after all.  Yeah maybe Alfred, his son, will become one but we need someone standing outside the circles of power as well detached from power itself and wealth etc.  Our good guy "everyman" if you will.

• Love 3

I was glad that Lagertha asked Astrid and the servant girl to leave the room before Lagertha spoke with Torvi.  I was even gladder that Astrid didn't seem to like being left out of the loop.  I'm waiting for her downfall as much as I'm waiting for Aslaug's.  

• Love 1

So...Lagertha...why are you attacking again? I know thats just how vikings tend to roll when they want to take something over, but killing a bunch of random people in Kattegat is probably not going to be winning over many hearts and minds. Or maybe it would, because viking and mindsets were...different. I am going to need a better reason for her hostile take over than "bitch stole my husband years ago". 

Speaking of Lagertha, I would watch out for that new girlfriend if I was her. Lagertha, as great as she is at a lot of things, has pretty shit taste in romantic partners (its sad that Ragnar has probably been her best option), and I dont think switching to women is going to change that. 

Oh, hey Rollo! Looking for that convertible for your mid life crisis huh? Back to the old ways, at least until you miss the Franks I guess. We will just see how this goes. Oh, boy, when Bjorn gets back, it will be all "sweatheart...mom...you guys been busy"? 

Damn it Ragnar, this is why no one likes you! You beg everyone to join your goodbye tour, and then you kill everyone in their sleep with your creepy son! Again, was there not a better way to do this? 

Rollos line about still hearing Thor in the thunder reminded me of that great speech Athelston gave about hearing God in the rain and Thor in the thunder. That was such a great speech and an interesting aspect of his character. I miss Athelston.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Ivar's a scary mofo though. It was pretty terrifying watch him roll around on the ground taking out all of those people. His upper body strength must be insane. 

My thought, as well. 

5 hours ago, Evagirl said:

It's so funny you should say this.  I just told a co-worker on Monday that I'll be glad when Ragnar is put out of his misery.  They have made him such a tragic and horrible person that I really don't like him much anymore (I used to ADORE him and couldn't imagine Vikings without him).  Now though, I pretty much just want him gone.  

Disagree with this.  I will be sorry to see Ragnar go.  He is a fascinating character with many facets.  As far as being horrible, exactly who on the show isn't?  He is human, not a cartoonish figure.  I appreciate how the character has been portrayed both in writing and performance by the actor.

• Love 8

I'll be sad to see Travis Fimmel go that's for sure. Not only is he a superb actor, he is absolutely fearless and without vanity. 

Luckily they have somebody in the guy who plays Ivar who is up to the task playing this very important character. And hopefully 

Spoiler

Jonathan Rhys Meyers will add something special to whoever he plays - probably Alfred I think.

Astrid makes the Chinese chick from last season look like a master thespian. 

• Love 4

I think the actor playing Ivar is doing a great job showcasing exactly how shitty it would've been to be the crippled son of a king, living in a society that prizes masculinity and virility. On the one hand, he's vicious and ruthless, but on the other he's a wounded boy that just wants to feel normal. The scene where Ragnar tells him he's stronger than his brothers was so emotional. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10
On 12/15/2016 at 3:35 PM, tennisgurl said:

Rollos line about still hearing Thor in the thunder reminded me of that great speech Athelston gave about hearing God in the rain and Thor in the thunder. That was such a great speech and an interesting aspect of his character. I miss Athelston.

I was reminded of that as well and miss Athelstan too.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, benteen said:

Great episode once again.  I found all the storylines to be engaging.

Despite brutally killing their companions, Ragnar and Ivar's demented father and son relationship was a joy to watch.

Clive Standen gave one of his strongest performances tonight I thought.  I like how well he told Bjorn about what the librarian was saying.  It was great to see him interacting with the Vikings again (loved when his son stuck his tongue out at Floki) and I'm glad they didn't kill him.  Should be an exciting and interesting journey.

I used to say that Athelwolf looked like Hodor in a daze but he looks like Jon Snow now.  He also looks like he hasn't aged.  Judith wasn't around long enough to suck the interest out of the show thankfully.

I was surprised at Torvi working with Lagertha to invade.  She was close to Lagertha and I always thought her son would have made a good heir to Lagertha's earldom.  I'm glad Lagertha didn't kill Ragnar's sons and the battle scene was once again impressive.  Nobody does them quite like Vikings.

Well, after being bored the past 2 episodes, I've watched this one twice.  

A couple things--  Yes, It irks me that the women are still ethereal looking, and the men are beaten up looking, though Rollo looks pretty darn young for his age.  Isn't he Ragnar's older brother?  I thought he was older...he's been half killed so many times. He got keel-hauled, and managed to survive it, and smile.   Great performance.  Also, I'm growing to like Bjorn more than I did. He's just strong and silent, and very different from Ragnar.  

I loved--as crazy as it is--I loved the "banter" between Ivar and Ragnar. He seems to like him more than his other kids.  Ivar is deadly, and psychopathic--and then he's almost like a kid, so happy his dad likes him that it tugs at my heart. Then he kills someone, and that thought abates. They play well off each other--these two, Ivar and Ragnar. 

I did really enjoy this episode, and take back most of what I've thought in the past 2 episodes. This one was compelling. When King Ecbert appeared--I hollered my favorite "There you are, you magnificent bastard!", that became my motto last year.  My heart sang. I love to hate him. :) 

While I am not quite sure why Lagertha feels NOW that it's the time to kick Aslaug's ass, I'm glad. Never liked her--hope it goes well.  Looking forward  to next week.  

On Torvi--Torvi was spared when Jarl Borg was killed, wasn't she? She was Horick's daughter (right?)  and then became Earlender's woman, and then Bjorn's wife.  I may be wrong on Jarl Borg, can't remember  at this moment-- but she was his wife, right?  I think she feels a certain fealty to Lagertha, I believe.  And she's the daughter of a king and a wife to the Viking equivalent of a prince (Bjorn, who may become King), if I have that right.  May as well hang with the once and future queen of Kattegat.

Anyways, all in all, I enjoyed  this episode and so did my husband--this is the only dramatic tv show he tolerates, well this and Lucifer.

Looking forward to Aslaug hopefully getting her just desserts, for whatever Lagetha's reasons are for doing it now, it takes balls. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Ocean Chick said:

And what was up with that one quick shot of the little child fleeing the attackers, arms flung wide?  It was the same shot that some of us remember from the Vietnam War - the little girl burned by napalm.  That had to be deliberate.

I had the same thought. It seemed too close, especially in how she was flailing her arms, to not be deliberate.

• Love 2

Another hit right out of the park.  Fantastic.  

I'm not catching on to two things others are -- I don't see Auslaug's drinking out of control this part of the season.  I did in the last one.  Not this time.  And, I don't see Ragnar as hateful.  Some folks have mentioned he is and .... I'm just not seeing it.  I absolutely adored his conversations with Ivar.  And was utterly amazed that he carried him so far and so long without complaint.  Not one word.  Fimmel showed explicitly what it was taking out of the old king but not a peep or complaint.  That's some love right there.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, whoknowswho said:

Rollo looks pretty darn young for his age.  Isn't he Ragnar's older brother?  I thought he was older..

Yes, Rollo is the older brother.  However, during the past 8(?) years Rollo has led a pretty pampered life.  I don't think Ragnar has.  The show doesn't tell us what Ragnar has been doing during his absent years - maybe living off the land?  Anyway that's my opinion on why Rollo still looks so striking and Ragnar looks so haggard.

• Love 3

Ok, so I am not liking Astrid. Not only does she look way too modern, she seems to think very highly of herself. Astrid, you are not a badass. Know your place. I was glad when Lagertha kicked her out of the room to talk to Torvi.

22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Speaking of Lagertha, I would watch out for that new girlfriend if I was her. Lagertha, as great as she is at a lot of things, has pretty shit taste in romantic partners (its sad that Ragnar has probably been her best option), and I dont think switching to women is going to change that. 

I agree with that. I just don't trust Astrid.

Rollo has always been my fave (I'm shallow) so I was happy to see him back. I just want him to get rid of his ugly clothes and get back in his Viking outfit and I will be a happy camper!

• Love 2

I was late to watch this because of the Survival finale. Pretty strong episode. It's pretty clear, to me, that Ragnar went to England to die. It's not about revenge for the settlement. It's not about raiding again. It's about making a good story, so he can die with his reputation restored. The way Ivar killed the men that sailed with them was brutal, but they would have gone back to Kattegat and told everyone how disastrous the trip was; how they were staggering around the woods with a cripple and no purpose. Now Ragnar has his purpose. 

Honestly, I'm kind of ready for him to die. Fimmel is fucking amazing and his presence will be missed on the show, but some of his sons have very interesting lives in their own right, and Ragnar has been pretty depressing and self-indulgent for awhile now. 

If it happens soon, I will miss his relationship with Ivar. I absolutely love their quiet moments together. I love how Ragnar pushes him. I love how Ragnar tells him that he's special, BECAUSE of his legs. The look on Ivar's face in that moment - like a small child, who has been longing his entire life to hear words of praise from his father - was just perfect. That actor is amazing as well. 

I thought it was very clever of Lagertha to have the slave girl woo Ubbe and Sigurd, so she could lock them up and not have to deal with them when re-taking Kattegat. Other than that, not my favorite storyline. I am ready for Lagertha to retake her thrown and displace that sour bitch, Auslag, but this "girl power!" stuff is getting a bit much. Viking women fought, for sure, but these heavily female armies are a bit outlandish. Also, they wouldn't really be used in a shield wall. Men are just much larger and physics isn't on their side. I realize this is fiction, so I'm able to handwave it to some degree, but it's a little much. 

It was fun to see Rollo again. His wife can go die in a ditch. I cannot stand her. She's so whiny, selfish, and immature.If Rollo has learned to embrace her culture, why can't she do the same for him? This is why I like Ecbert better, as a Viking foe. There seems to be a respect there. Gisla acts so bloody superior all the time. I'm not a huge fan of Rollo leaving his kids, but at least she didn't get her way. 

Now if only he could get a haircut. 

Keelhauling was brutal, but Rollo almost seemed to relish it. He's been denying his wild Viking side for far too long. I'm excited to see more of the relationship between him and Bjorn, and what they get up to. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I thought it was very clever of Lagertha to have the slave girl woo Ubbe and Sigurd, so she could lock them up and not have to deal with them when re-taking Kattegat. Other than that, not my favorite storyline. I am ready for Lagertha to retake her thrown and displace that sour bitch, Auslag, but this "girl power!" stuff is getting a bit much. Viking women fought, for sure, but these heavily female armies are a bit outlandish. Also, they wouldn't really be used in a shield wall. Men are just much larger and physics isn't on their side. I realize this is fiction, so I'm able to handwave it to some degree, but it's a little much. 

Agree, especially when you consider this is a time period where people suffered food scarcity and disease on a regular basis. I don't doubt that female warriors existed, but I'm dubious as to their role in one-on-one combat. Lagertha's a bad ass, but she wouldn't stand a chance against a guy like Rollo or Bjorn, where there's a six inch height and fifty pound weight advantage. I'm the same as you, where I understand the writers have to take some creative liberties, but it's starting to cross into fantasy land.

• Love 2