Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Rules of Enragement

Caroline Fleming seeks help from her therapist; Marissa's baby gets sick and is rushed to the hospital; Julie looks forward to hosting the women at the family estate, but mounting tensions come to a head when the house rules are laid down.

I really love Fleming!!  I felt her pain and was sad for her. 

Stanbury is SO awful.  She's a like a mix of Ramona and Bethenny from RHNY and Vicki from RHOC.  I really wish she would not be on anymore!!     

• Love 10

I never liked Caroline Stanbury in Season 1 or 2. And I really don't like Juliet.

But it's obvious that Julie is very insecure and wants approval from Caroline...that's why she harped on her the entire episode. I wish she would have just ignored her.

That said -  also wish Caroline didn't attend. She didn't want to be there. And that's okay.

• Love 14
12 minutes ago, Miss Slay said:

I never liked Caroline Stanbury in Season 1 or 2. And I really don't like Juliet.

Yes, Juliet worked my nerves, too.

She reminds me of someone, but I can't place it! I spent the whole episode wondering, "Have I met her, or something?" She seems like Caroline S's flunky.

Given how weird some Brits can be about status and the aristocracy, I wonder if there is a smidge of jealousy behind CarolineS's and Juliet's "heathering" of Julie.

• Love 11

If I never hear the word Mapperton again, it will be too soon. 

Stanbury is awful. Go to Dubai already and get off the show. Julie's no prize, either. Quit it with the rules and the lady of the manor baloney and all the endless whining about your burdens.

Fleming and Marissa are the only two I like right now. Maybe Sophie, though she's a bit of a shit stirrer.

Edited by Michichick
  • Love 4

So this is the best Julie's ever looked!  But she is not a good hostess.  And Caroline S is not a good guest.  Reality TV gold!  Juliet - I was wondering where my prairie dress from 1983 had gotten - thank goodness you found it!

• Love 17

Juliet has most definitely earned her 'feral rodent' nickname with this episode. Rarely have I seen someone more unpleasant. She looks as if she's smelling something extremely nasty.

And Caroline S. She complains they only have an hour to get ready for dinner. Well, maybe that's because you arrived 4 hours late. I dunno. Is it just me? Caroline S seems like she's going out of her way to alienate everyone in her (former) circle--Sophie, Adela--people she describes as her oldest friends because...why? Because she's moving to Dubai and she's not going to see them again? Juliet Angus doesn't count; she's like a limpet.

I give Julie a lot of credit. She's changed a great deal from the prior season. She seems much less frantic and not nearly as desperate.

Not sure what to make of Caroline F. She seems like she's trying to be Switzerland in all this, while the others are all taking sides.

• Love 13

Wow, Caroline S was extra terrible in this episode. I didn't mind that she got rankled when Julie laid down the rules, because I thought Julie could have been more tactful in that situation. But everything else she did was straight up bitchy. Adela completely has her number and was dead on in her assessment of Caroline. You can tell it drives Caroline crazy that Adela isn't afraid of her. Juliet was loathsome, too, defending Caroline as usual. Julie should have told them both leave.

I felt for Caroline Fleming when she was discussing her difficult family dynamics. That's something I understand too well. Now that she's toned down the quirkiness, she seems really friendly and kind. She's definitely the lady I'd want to hang out with most.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Lady Grump said:

Yes, Juliet worked my nerves, too.

She reminds me of someone, but I can't place it! I spent the whole episode wondering, "Have I met her, or something?" She seems like Caroline S's flunky.

Given how weird some Brits can be about status and the aristocracy, I wonder if there is a smidge of jealousy behind CarolineS's and Juliet's "heathering" of Julie.

It was pretty pathetic how Juliet kept looking to Caroline S for approval during the dinner.  Almost as pathetic was Julie looking to Caroline F to back her up.

Poor Marissa.  Do we know that the baby is ok in real time?

• Love 2

Caroline S. is a raging bitch. How dare she show up hours late to an event and complain incessantly over everything? And why oh why does she bring her makeup artist with here everywhere? It's quite strange how he is always around. Yes, Julie was a bit heavy handed about "house rules", but fer fucks sake, does Stanbury have any idea just how horrible she sounds when she bitches about the rules she had to live under growing up? Talk about your white privilege. Caroline F was actually nice this ep and it's clear she is the black sheep of her family.

What the hell was Juliet wearing at dinner? It looked like she was channeling Little House of the Prairie and Holly Hobbie, while the others where wearing stylish outfits. And what is wring with her hair? I realize that England is more humid than the US, but as a fashionita, she needs to take control of that situation. If you hair looks terrible day in and day out, change it. 

• Love 18
9 hours ago, Michichick said:

If I never hear the word Mapperton again, it will be too soon. 

Yes! Drinks game and I'd be drunk.

I still kind of like Caroline S. Though if every time you go to a get together and end up in a fight, JUST DON'T GO.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

My question is: When Marissa was talking about her husband, she said he had a tough year and then they showed news headlines of a couple of incidents.  They went to fast and I could not read them.  What happened?

From the quick glance I saw, it seems he had to close down his restaurant? night club? due to a big brawl outside.  That was just the headline I noticed, which doesn't really make sense, so maybe someone knows the story.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jumper sage said:

My question is: When Marissa was talking about her husband, she said he had a tough year and then they showed news headlines of a couple of incidents.  They went to fast and I could not read them.  What happened?

Here

is some information about that.

• Love 2

Juliet's rap in the car was so terrible it was hilarious.  And I LOVED Caro S.'s makeup artist's dry "I can't imagine why your rap career didn't take off."

Julie lording over Caroline S. & Juliet was super annoying.  Especially since she made a point to exclude Fleming from the "rules".  Julie is really feeling herself this season.

• Love 3

I wonder if Stanbury's nastiness is because she's lost according to her standards. She destroyed her business. She's done this show and only ended up marginally better known. She ended up married to a guy who wasn't a proper British guy and now they have to move to Dubai. As much as she says she didn't want the prim and proper life, you can tell she's a little pissed that she never had the opportunity to reject it. So she continues to act like she never sought it out because it's not who she is.

I think Stanbury would have killed to be married to Rory Fleming. He's got a name, so much money, and wanted to ship the kids off to boarding school when they turned 6.

• Love 11

Whoa Caroline S. turned into a raging beeyotch (more than usual) this episode (and from the looks of it all the upcoming episodes as well.) I'm diagnosing her with a case of "not wanting to move to Dubai, afterall," but blaming it all on Julie. 

Who, by the way, is obnoxious. It looks like Caroline grew up in a home bigger than Mapperton so she most likely knows how the Aristocratic English Country House Party Weekend should go and Julie's rules are not it. From my extensive reading of Tatler Magazine I believe the country house weekend IS full of people smoking out on the lawn, and drinking and doing whatever naughty things they can get away with, outside and inside, all for a good time. An occasional broken vase means that a good time was had by all. Julie needs to read up!

Juliet looks awful. She must have that dysmorphia thing where what you see in the mirror is completely different from reality. Her dress was giving me Victorian heebeejeebees. (I hate the Victorian period). 

I felt that we finally saw behind the facade of Caroline Fleming ... she has a wicked stepmother and can't go home without encountering her. I do believe Caroline is trying her best, in her mind, so I give her credit and like her again.

Poor Marissa and the baby drama. I hope all that is behind them and she can enjoy dressing her up for Christmas. Seems fishy that all of a sudden her husband now wants to move to LA. Top Dog closed, Boujis closed; what is going on? How could they abandon their Bumpkins? 

Edited by TheFinalRose
  • Love 1

Marissa, her husband and kids spent 2-3 months in CA this summer, according to her Instagram. Someone asked if she had left London permanently and she answered--don't worry, I am not going anywhere! So, it sounds like they will stay put in London. She even became a U.K. citizen, so I am thinking the "move to CA" idea is all a storyline for the show.

• Love 1

I can't see a single reason why Juliet is on this show this season. 

Why doesn't Julie just crawl right up CarolineF's ass? You know that's pissing CS off because she wants to be the most important person in the room! CS shouldn't have signed up for another season if she's going to be this miserable and hateful. Maybe something more is going on with her. Wonder if her marriage on the rocks or something? Financial problems? I just can't think of a reason someone would be so awful just for the hell of it. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 2

I don't think CS wants to move to Dubai at all, despite all the smiles during last week's home decorating segment.  Dubai is going to suck for her.  She'll be trapped in her mansion, has no friends there, and maybe her make-up artist won't be able to move with her.

Why are they MOVING to Dubai instead of temporarily re-locating for a job?  Does her husband have to leave England for some reason?   

• Love 6

I just want Caroline S. to go f*** herself and go home.  The one that said CS was a spoiled brat wasn't even nearly half right.  I appreciate the need to keep her on the show, but I may need to fast forward through her scenes. She is a pompous ass and has absolutely no sense of how ridiculous she is.  I am glad the ladies called her out for who and what she is.  A 40 year old woman with a four year old concept of friendship.

She cannot leave for Dubai soon enough for me.

and Juliet can go with her.

Edited by b2H
  • Love 6

I have a bit of a HW crush on Sophie she is sexy, has great hair, seems crazy fun, yet is sweet. Her facial features (I'm looking at you big teeth) are not perfect but it's a great picture. She reacted perfectly when she got the sick baby phone call. The other ones are all just yuck. I love looking at their homes and their clothes though! 

Though I am not a fan of on screen therapy how AWESOME is it to have a therapist who walked right out of Vogue magazine come to your  home to counsel you! 5 minutes of Caroline's therapy was more real than 5 seasons of Bethenny's w'Dr. No Socks.

Is it me or is there something "off" about JUB balls husband? I almost feel guilty asking, like is he sick or something? I have empathy for all of the Mapperton drama because I feel like she is a one woman show in that duo. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

Is it me or is there something "off" about JUB balls husband? I almost feel guilty asking, like is he sick or something? I have empathy for all of the Mapperton drama because I feel like she is a one woman show in that duo. 

I thought I read somewhere that Julie had said that Luke (Mr. JUB) had an issue with painkillers/prescription medication. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Juliet is a fashion blogger! How in the hell! Because that dress she was wearing at the Mapperton dinner needs to be on a fugly hall of fame list!

I think she was wearing the short version of Carole's RHoNY reunion dress.

And I think Juliet used to be a stylist, which is too horrifying for words.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4

Sophie looks like a younger, prettier, fresher version of Lisa Vanderpump.  

I think I'm loving Adela. She held her own last week when Caroline was shoving her fingers and hand in her face.  And she can take the piss out of Caroline beautifully.  She also has the poshest accent I've ever heard. 

Juliet looked so pretty in that brief makeup free breakfast scene. Maybe she should just go with that look. 

I wonder why Marissa's "baby nurse" didn't catch the baby's condition.  I know that the British often call nanny's by that term.  There's no way a pediatric nurse misses a gray lethargic baby.  

I'm not a big Julie fan, but I'm going to always take her side against the Ice Queen. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

You're not alone. I wondered the same.

On another note, Julie may be right: those Mapperton workers (except for the butler) don't seem fond of her -- which probably makes her nervous, which results in the manic behavior. I have sympathy for that.

• Love 6

As much as there is to say about Stanbury's behavior at Mapperton, I was bothered more by Julie as the host.  You just don't call out some of your guests in front of everybody and expect good results.  A real host does their best to make everyone comfortable and Julie's talk did the opposite (with the possible exception of Caroline Fleming).  I'm sure Bravo loved it.

People who are chronically late drive me crazy.  Their actions show that they value their own time more than anybody else's time.  So rude.  I was so glad when Caroline Fleming put out there the amount of time she was waiting for Stanbury (twice!). 

The fishing trip did not sound like much fun to me but it looks like they are going to have a really good time.  I do think that Caroline S painted herself into such a corner with her comments all evening that she couldn't go on the fishing trip even if she wanted to.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, rehoboth said:

The fishing trip did not sound like much fun to me but it looks like they are going to have a really good time.  I do think that Caroline S painted herself into such a corner with her comments all evening that she couldn't go on the fishing trip even if she wanted to.

I bet she'll regret not going on that fishing trip when she's cooped up in her Dubai compound, because she doesn't want to follow "the rules" of her new hometown.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, izabella said:

I don't think CS wants to move to Dubai at all, despite all the smiles during last week's home decorating segment.  Dubai is going to suck for her.  She'll be trapped in her mansion, has no friends there, and maybe her make-up artist won't be able to move with her.

Why are they MOVING to Dubai instead of temporarily re-locating for a job?  Does her husband have to leave England for some reason?   

Maybe she feels Dubai is more worthy of her than Kazakhstan, where her husband was previously commuting to.  I hear it's very posh, but don't know that such a constricting lifestlye would appeal to her, especially since she dislikes living within the preceived rules of British life.  

As to Luke Montagu, this has been posted before in other threads, I believe:

http://cepuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Times-Magazine-18-July-2015-pdf.pdf

He was prescribed unecessary anti-depressants for years and then sleeping pills to counteract their effects.  His doctor decided to have him cut out the sleeping pills cold turkey which resulted in withdrawal symptoms that basically permanently disabled him.  (At least that's what I got from reading the article... I'm not a doctor or in the medical field.)

• Love 2

Julie really is out of her element, and she's seems to be trying to channel Downton Abbey, and failing miserably.  Her cook made it pretty clear, without saying a word, that she didn't want to be on camera, and thinks Julie doesn't know what she's talking about.      Even though I love to fish, I would think Julie would have let everyone know what the plans were.    I felt that she was making everyone incredibly uncomfortable, and then went on to give her "rules".   I don't care for smokers, however, she knows that a few of the ladies do smoke, so the real "hostess" thing would be to have a place for them outside.   But the "ding ding ding" House Rules was insulting.    

• Love 8
On 12/14/2016 at 2:09 PM, HunterHunted said:

I wonder if Stanbury's nastiness is because she's lost according to her standards. She destroyed her business. She's done this show and only ended up marginally better known. She ended up married to a guy who wasn't a proper British guy and now they have to move to Dubai. As much as she says she didn't want the prim and proper life, you can tell she's a little pissed that she never had the opportunity to reject it. So she continues to act like she never sought it out because it's not who she is.

I think Stanbury would have killed to be married to Rory Fleming. He's got a name, so much money, and wanted to ship the kids off to boarding school when they turned 6.

Holy shit!  You got that right.

6 hours ago, balshureen said:

Maybe she feels Dubai is more worthy of her than Kazakhstan, where her husband was previously commuting to.  I hear it's very posh, but don't know that such a constricting lifestlye would appeal to her, especially since she dislikes living within the preceived rules of British life.  

As to Luke Montagu, this has been posted before in other threads, I believe:

http://cepuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Times-Magazine-18-July-2015-pdf.pdf

He was prescribed unecessary anti-depressants for years and then sleeping pills to counteract their effects.  His doctor decided to have him cut out the sleeping pills cold turkey which resulted in withdrawal symptoms that basically permanently disabled him.  (At least that's what I got from reading the article... I'm not a doctor or in the medical field.)

It is sort of a whitewash attempt with the whole unnecessary drugs thing.  Because he was a huge drug user and fried a part of his brain.  And they tried to medicate that problem and by everything that I heard he got addicted to some of the  meds that he didn't need and that he also then stopped taking the ones he did -- some kind of mood stabilizer and anti-anxiety pills.  He went off the deep end about the time that the first season filmed, lost whatever sinecure he still had in The City and was shipped off to Mapperton to be tucked in a corner.  His younger brother is apparently the one the parents now rely on and have for a while in terms of making business decisions for Mapperton.  Julie to my knowledge is not and has not ever been involved as the current Earl was and then when Luke could only maybe wrap things in the gift shack and shake hands and walk the tables during catered meals/events, they turned to the brother's contacts which include a firm that helps run large houses/properties as a consultant.

The blame was never put on Luke officially though I think there are plenty of credible sources out there if you google enough.  But his drug abuse and the permanent effects were known well before they trotted out the whole poor Luke is a victim aspect.  He ran with a rather nasty crowd, not the party type set that Phlegm likes to portray herself as being a part of, but the ones that dabbled in behavior that was more than just racy (heavy drugs, sex rings in N. Africa etc).

• Love 10

Ooh, that article about Luke Montagu did solve one lingering question I had that came up last year...Julie  had two children with her first husband, or at least from a previous relationship.  It's interesting that Luke's situation hasn't come up at all on the show...it explains (a little bit) why Julie is always so seemingly nervous about everything.  She shouldered a lot for that family through his illness.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, tenativelyyours said:

Holy shit!  You got that right.

It is sort of a whitewash attempt with the whole unnecessary drugs thing.  Because he was a huge drug user and fried a part of his brain.  And they tried to medicate that problem and by everything that I heard he got addicted to some of the  meds that he didn't need and that he also then stopped taking the ones he did -- some kind of mood stabilizer and anti-anxiety pills.  He went off the deep end about the time that the first season filmed, lost whatever sinecure he still had in The City and was shipped off to Mapperton to be tucked in a corner.  His younger brother is apparently the one the parents now rely on and have for a while in terms of making business decisions for Mapperton.  Julie to my knowledge is not and has not ever been involved as the current Earl was and then when Luke could only maybe wrap things in the gift shack and shake hands and walk the tables during catered meals/events, they turned to the brother's contacts which include a firm that helps run large houses/properties as a consultant.

The blame was never put on Luke officially though I think there are plenty of credible sources out there if you google enough.  But his drug abuse and the permanent effects were known well before they trotted out the whole poor Luke is a victim aspect.  He ran with a rather nasty crowd, not the party type set that Phlegm likes to portray herself as being a part of, but the ones that dabbled in behavior that was more than just racy (heavy drugs, sex rings in N. Africa etc).

Holy tea! Thanks!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for info on Fleming, or even post a link if they have time.  The information I have found has been most confusing.  She's somehow born a baroness, yet she's also called a former baroness.  She was born in Valemar's Castle, and even owned it for a period of time, but no longer does.  Very contradictory info.  I understand that her great-great-whatever grandfather got his title and lands for duties performed to the crown.  Does Denmark allow the eldest child, if a daughter, to inherit her father's title?  And if so, wouldn't she have to wait until he dies to get his title?  There's nothing that helps in her thread.

Did Julie only invite two ladies to stay over because those are the most kept up bedrooms?  I imagine she chose not to give out her children's bedrooms. l wanted to see more of the estate, but it seems that most of it remains un-viewable at this time.  I didn't realize aristocratic land owners still had tenants.  I thought that died out in the late 19th century, when the rents wouldn't support the estate. 

Phlegm is the oldest daughter of the Current Baron and so was also afforded the title Baroness Iuel-Brockdorff,.  But she was not The Baroness Iuel-Brockdorff as her father is The Baron until he dies.  Some countries give the title to everyone in the family.  In Russia and Poland for instance, all the kids of a Prince are Prince or Princess.  Same for counts and barons.  In some German countries Prussia consolidated it into the German Empire, the younger sons were afforded the lesser title than their father and the eldest son/heir.  So A Duke's eldest son and heir would be Duke also (herzog) but the younger sons would be counts (their sons also would be counts, proflic families like the Hohenlohes, Oettingens, Castells, Radziwills, Lobormirskis etc made things incredibly confusing since you could have five men holding the same title and having the same name since families had preferred first names for eldest sons that younger sons still honored with their eldest sons.

She gave up her title because it was attached to her position as heir.  Because of her marriage to Rory Fleming, she was no longer allowed to inherit.  So in losing the inheritance, she lost the courtesy title she was born with.  The ownership is a bit of a shifty play.  She got the castle from the family on marrying Rory because of tax issues letting him plow considerable money into it, not only updating the property but also letting Caroline take her first big famewhore role, hosting a show about re-doing the castle.  I suspect that to protect it in the divorce it went back to her family in some way. 

Its unclear what exactly her marriage to Rory had to do with her losing the title.  The Iuel part of the title comes from a military hero but commoner marrying the aristocratic Brockdorrf heiress.  A reward as well as a way to keep a title from completely dying out.  A common enough practice throughout Europe at the time.  While the PR narrative was she was marrying a "commoner" out of love (coughRory'sBillionpluscough), that seems to be somewhat of a doubt since there are others who hold their title in Denmark who have married "commoners".  While Danish Barons are not exactly in the top of the heap or that grandly rare, there also aren't that many.  But Rory is not just a "commoner' but also non-Danish.  It is unclear if Rory had a title in the UK whether it would count or whether simply not being Danish is the problem but it makes better PR for someone who wants her name in bolded ink in the papers if his status is the Thing.  Plus it always makes her status the Thing even though she gave it up.  There are over a hundred women who can be called Baroness in Denmark but only one can be Phlegm who gave it up for love (coughRory'sBillionPluscough).  In fact her own mother either was her father's first cousin or was a commoner and is simply referred to by her married surname and title.  Considering pretty much all of what we know if this woman has been an incredibly pushy aggressive drive for attention, it is a bit interesting that we don't get this grand pedigree on her wiki page or even just a good bio that includes her parentage in way that is not overly simplified to craft the very narrative that is all from her.

As for tenants in the UK, it has nothing to do with being titled.  If you own property and have a tenant you collect rent.  It could be that the Montagus simply have property they developed commercially in recent times that are tied to the estate.  I think some of the largest landholder in the UK are still mostly those holding titles.  A lot of that comes from the fact that previous privilege did carry over.  Some nobles had means to weather the various shifts due to taxes, the industrial revolution and simple societal changes.  The Duke of Westminster held rents on something like a quarter of London up until WWII and even after had a big stake in commercial development.  The Duke of Buccleugh is still a top dog of holding private property and this likely means he has plenty of rental properties

Edited by tenativelyyours
too many to go into
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

Can anyone point me in the right direction for info on Fleming, or even post a link if they have time.  The information I have found has been most confusing.  She's somehow born a baroness, yet she's also called a former baroness.  She was born in Valemar's Castle, and even owned it for a period of time, but no longer does.  Very contradictory info.  I understand that her great-great-whatever grandfather got his title and lands for duties performed to the crown.  Does Denmark allow the eldest child, if a daughter, to inherit her father's title?  And if so, wouldn't she have to wait until he dies to get his title?  There's nothing that helps in her thread.

CarFlem also loves the limelight. This is her fourth reality show: she had one where she renovated the castle with Rory and his money, The Baroness Moves In, Denmark's Next Top Model, and this show.

• Love 2

I finally finished watching this episode and boy, did CStan and Juliet have major stinkfaces going on during that dinner.  So freaking rude.  Julie is trying to extend an olive branch and Juliet looks like she wants to rip her head off.  Jeebus.

I don't mind fishing, although not really my thing; I do have an issue with seasickness though so I wouldn't appreciate much being told that I was expected to go to fishing.  However, CStan seemed like she was just being pissy for the sake of being pissy. 

I would generally find it offensive that Julie was laying down house rules to a group of adults but look at the group. 

I cannot believe these women were 3 hours late.  WTF?  That is unbelievably discourteous and classless.  No excuse whatsoever.  Ten, fifteen minutes . . . that happens.  But hours?  And sitting down to dinner after 10 pm?  Unreal.  Very disrespectful to your hostess and to the chef.

I despised Sophie last season but she's almost refreshing this season.  At least she has manners.  

I can't believe Juliet was a stylist.  Her dinner dress . . . I just . . . I don't know.  She looked ridiculously out of place at that table, where everyone else looked impeccable. 

• Love 7