Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: We Pretend We're Stuck

It's interesting to see how Letty's and Javier's individual neuroses align. He has some kind of wounded bird syndrome that makes him want to "save" Letty, even though his own crimes are much worse than hers. She in turn enjoys feeling, for once, that she has the moral high ground and willfully overlooks his assassin-ish ways.

I don't necessarily need to approve of or like either of them in the context of a story, but I am drawn in enough to want to see how it plays out -- which of them either lifts up or drags down the other.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

One thing this ep did courageously was to explicitly show us how dastardly Letty really is.  And how utterly out of control she truly is.  

We don't often get such darkness and I applaud all concerned for presenting such.

Now, if they could just get more real about consequences...

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Disagree! At least in my case. I think Letty's mom is a terrible person for knowing that Letty is a terrible influence and cheerfully forcing Letty to pay her a thousand dollars for the privilege of seeing her son AND leaving the two of them completely unsupervised while she's off fucking Letty's old boyfriend.

Estelle (her name is Estelle right?) may be raising Jacob well, but she knows Letty is a terrible person and for a thousand dollars sells her grandson to the daughter she knows can't be trusted.  What she should be doing is CALLING THE COPS because if Letty can't type more than eight words a minute and has no high school degree, then she is doing something illegal as hell to get the kind of cash she's casually leaving everywhere.

Letty as a character reminds me of Walter White on Breaking Bad. You understand why she's doing things that are wrong... but you also know its a train wreck and no matter what she does, it's a shitty choice. She's never legally going to get custody of her son, she's never going to legally make decent money... but all of the illegal choices she is making are wrecking havoc on the ones she supposedly loves.

Well the Grandmother  is better than the Mother meth head alcoholic or foster care for Jacob. Calling the cops to put the his  mother back in jail isn't a great option either. 

Maybe the father has better relatives? Extremely doubtful. 

That no one suggested she learn to type was ridiculous to me- not even the temp agency told her to learn and come back. I get that doesn't work for the plot but none of these people seem that great as characters. Even the hotel staff are portrayed as foolish. That's my issue I think. The emotional manipulation and caricature portrayals of all the characters.

i didn't watch Breaking Bad probably for the same reasons I react negatively to this show.

its a shame because I obviously want to like it or I wouldn't keep commenting here. 

Edited by rose711
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, rose711 said:

Well the Grandmother  is better than the Mother meth head alcoholic or foster care for Jacob. Calling the cops to put the his  mother back in jail isn't a great option either. 

I'm not so sure she is.  Letty, this seriously flawed, kind of sociopath, was also raised by Estelle (Jacob's grandmother) and did not turn out very well. I'm not sure Estelle is planning to do anything different raising Jacob than she did with Letty, or has the awareness to wonder if maybe she should. I'm also not sure there is a college fund for Jacob and halfway think that some of the "college fund" money paid for the boyfriend's penile implant. I don't necessarily think Estelle is evil, but I'm not convinced she isn't at least partially responsible for how Letty has turned out, either. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Why would foster care be worse than these two? 

You're probably right. I would take the grandmother over the addict who almost OD a while back, who is actively destroying people and teaching her son to steal.

2 hours ago, Nanu160 said:

Good Behavior is pure Escapism, prolly not meant to be a Morality Tale. Pure Fantasy!

I get your point. I do think the creators are trying to make statements but probably not the ones I'm getting. In one of the making of scenes someone called it "a show about female empowerment."

I want to like the show but it's just not for me,I guess. If I look beneath the shiny outside and hot guy, what I see isn't compelling to me. Not interested in watching her destroy life after life while manipulating everything.

The most intriguing thing I noted was when the woman at the front desk and the guy at the slot machines easily recognized her.

its too bad because the show has a lot going for it. Maybe if it hangs on, they can turn it into a great show like with Justified. Michelle Dockery is good at playing entitled, beautiful woman who dominate other people to get what they want. So she could be a solid rock for the show to build upon.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 2
On 12/19/2016 at 10:30 PM, harrie said:

I'm not so sure she is.  Letty, this seriously flawed, kind of sociopath, was also raised by Estelle (Jacob's grandmother) and did not turn out very well. I'm not sure Estelle is planning to do anything different raising Jacob than she did with Letty, or has the awareness to wonder if maybe she should. I'm also not sure there is a college fund for Jacob and halfway think that some of the "college fund" money paid for the boyfriend's penile implant. I don't necessarily think Estelle is evil, but I'm not convinced she isn't at least partially responsible for how Letty has turned out, either. 

I might be going out on a limb here, but Estelle seems to have a LOT invested in retaining her youth and looks, and I think she might have seen Letty as much a competitor as someone she should be nurturing. Jacob doesn't present a challenge in that respect, being male, AND, continuing with her competitive streak, I think she probably gets a sense of satisfaction being "better" at raising him than Letty is/was. On top of that, any mistakes she made that contributed to Letty's failings (and it looks as if there were tons!), she can place on Letty herself if Jacob emerges as a fully functioning successful adult.

• Love 2
On 12/15/2016 at 10:20 PM, rose711 said:

Just started watching the show and I am ambivalent about making Michelle's character to seem fun and even good when she's really a huge destructive force. Not so much of a fan .

it's more like watching to see whose life she's going to destroy the next week.

Javier is gorgeous so of course he's bringing a tons of tons of appeal to the show.

Wondering how people feel about her the show mocking Alcoholics Anonymous and all 12-step philosophy. I'm sure this is what alcoholics do and what addicts do but the counterbalance is missing and she seems to be having fun Destroying herself.

Good question. The mocking of AA came off (to me) more as if they were mocking themselves for being such failures of "the program". It didn't bother me, but I don't particularly like AA as a method, but am happy for those who have had it work for them. To me, Letty as an alcoholic or an addict is written in such a way as to be unbelievable. Kyle is more believable. Letty just comes off as a self-destructive bored teenager. She has no physical dependence on alcohol or drugs, yet we are supposed to believe she's some kind of rock-bottom addict? Odd. She comes across more as someone who abuses drugs and alcohol for fun, IMO. Which- eh. She destroys everything she touches and I would hate to see her as a mother. I enjoyed Letty in the beginning, but the stealing and attitude are major turn-offs. When you look morally reprehensible next to a hit-man, its time to griw up.

• Love 2