Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling

• Start Topic

I thought there was a ratings and scheduling topic but couldn't find it, so am starting a new one.

What I am wondering is, with Agent Carter cancelled, will AOS still go on hiatus until March or will it be back in January like most other network shows. It's stupid to have it off for three weeks and then back for two and then nothing until March.

On a related note... While I loved Agent Carter, the long hiatus always annoyed me. ABC does the same with Once Upon a Time and I hate it there as well... I feel like it often sucks momentum out of a season or causes a jumbled rush to get through story and plot lines for a conclusion instead of just continuing them after the long break.

• Love 3
Just now, MadyGirl1987 said:

Nice! Thanks! Guess the other two long hiatuses were because of Agent Carter...

Yeah, I don't think they have anything to fill them in with so the show is coming back (according to Mark Kolpack) in January. 

Part of it is that they've only aired 8 episodes, so there are 14 left for Jan-May.

My understanding is that with pre-emptions for Dancing, Bachelor, and a couple of ABC News specials, the show wont be taking a usual lenghty break this year.  

4 hours ago, webruce said:

Wasn't ABC copying some of the premium channels that ran shorter seasons? That way they hoped to save shows from running out of ideas?

No, I think that since Agent Carter got axed they went back to AoS' old schedule of having a short break and returning later.  As far as I know the show still has the standing order of 22 episodes and that would be delivered in Jan-May. Now, the reason why they went on a 3-week break was because a) the US election- everything would've been preempted anyways so they just decided to not to fight it, b) a David Blane special, and c) US Thanksgiving. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
On 12/5/2016 at 10:55 PM, MadyGirl1987 said:

I thought there was a ratings and scheduling topic but couldn't find it, so am starting a new one.

I could have sworn we had one, too, but I guess not! This thread can be that. I'll add a subtitle if someone thinks up a good one!

2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Can any of you good people tell me if AoS is getting renewed or cancelled after this season?

It will be awhile. I went into the season expecting it to be the last due to new management at ABC. The core audience and the link to the movies remain, but the movie audience never came for must see TV

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

It will be awhile. I went into the season expecting it to be the last due to new management at ABC. The core audience and the link to the movies remain, but the movie audience never came for must see TV

Thanks! I hope they renew it.  It's one of my favourite shows!

17 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Can any of you good people tell me if AoS is getting renewed or cancelled after this season?

Channing Dungey was very enthusiastic about the show during last week's TCA's.

Also, it's apparantly doing well in off-network syndication on MyNetworkTV.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, manbearpig said:

Apparently the episode that aired last night hit a series low in the demo; a 0.6 rating. Maybe it will adjust up but I hope the writers at least have a plan to wrap stuff up at the end of the season.

I think the actual number being reported is a 2.02, which is pretty low for something that airs on ABC. 

Agents of SHIELD (ABC)0.6/22.02

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-tuesday-jan-17-2017/

• Love 1

I think it is the opposite look at the worldwide numbers of Captain America Civil War, Netflix has expanded their line up. The IMAX into miniseries Inhumans are going forward, the Freeform series are about to enter production and the movies are moving from two to three a year with Sony/Spider Man. Everywhere except ABC's main network with Agent Carter being dropped, along with Damage Control and Most Wanted and probably Agents of SHIELD has the MCU doing fine as long as it moves forward like a shark and don't think it was Iron Man and not Robert Downey Jr who was responsible for the success when it comes time to bring in a fresh character or have another actor play fighting aged Tony Stark..

Now the FOX wing with Hugh Jackman about to do his farewell and continued failures of Fantastic Four does lead to a "Marvel" sense of failure. Especially since they keep rebooting the same characters. But Deadpool 2 will likely be the key to a continued X-Men success.

• Love 1
On 1/22/2017 at 8:36 AM, pastafarian said:

The whole Marvel world everywhere has to run out of steam soon.  The public has a short attention span and grows bored easily.  

I feel like that genre shows do have it tough for any network to air, and to stay on the air long enough to complete the story they are telling, but I just don't get some of the choices this show has made in the past (and what I am referring is why the writers didn't spend time just building up the characters and make them more interesting and likable before the episode Turn, Turn, Turn or even making the pilot better)?. That being said, looking back, only ST: ENT had four seasons while every other Star Trek (minus the original and cartoon) was able to get a full 7 seasons worth of episodes. Now, I do know that this isn't Star Trek but the public does like genre shows (enough to make networks actually try to greenlit projects like Gotham and Powerless on FOX and NBC, respectively) and they also like superheroes shows (and in my opinion, the bubble hasn't yet busted on the superhero movie genre. I mean it's not like the Westerns where they were making 30-40 of them a year, way back in the 1950s-1960s, and each movie tends to be different themes- but with superheroes). I mean the movies still rank in millions/billions of dollars worldwide but I do believe that this show kind of always had a ratings problem. When the pilot first aired, like 12 million people came in to watch it (and there was a lot of hype as well since this was Marvel's first TV show) and by the second episode, only 7 million stuck with it. The numbers were just dropping from then and I guess they never were able to keep those numbers from falling. 

What I find weird is that they took a character like Ward, made him bland and predictable and then reveal that he was Hydra all along. Now, I did like Ward- he was the perfect villain for this show, but I do think that the problem was that they made him a) obsessive about Daisy, and b) keep tieing him to Hydra when they totally overused Hydra by like Season 2 (they needed to introduce other villains by season 2 or at least the second half of season 2- and not kill them off. They kind of did do this by introducing Cal and Jiaying but they ended up killing Jiaying and mind wiped Cal. They also had a ton of villains that Hydra freed after the episode Turn, Turn, Turn, but we only saw like one or two of them reappear on this show (the two being Carl Creel and Marcus Daniels- a.k.a. The Absorbing Man and Blackout). Not to mentioned Cal's group of motley villains- they literally had Angar the Screamer there- but didn't really do anything with them, except have them fight in Coulson's hometown. 

Not to mentioned the character of Skye-Daisy but that character has issues (in my opinion) and it seemed that in Season 2 they were starting to make the character more tolerable but then just backed out of it in Season 3. Overall, she seems like a polar character- some hate her while others love her and some people have dropped the show because of her. In my opinion, the show spends way too much time on her and it kind of ruins the other characters' stories because it eats up their screen time. There are other issues but this post is really becoming long. Bottom line, this show has always struggled with losing live viewers and just like ST:ENT it started to get kind of decent a bit too late, IMO. 

Overall, I just (for me anyways) is that I just can't really stay in the story but I just keep on getting out of it (and start pointing at all of the flaws). I don't know why but I just can't seem to always just stay in the story, but while watching Agent Carter I was able to stay in the story and I loved it. But with the show, it's just I can't. I mean I really did like Season 2 but Season 3 was when they started to kill off a lot of characters, left and right, and that kind of ruined it for me (at least partially) because the deaths were just distractions and I started to find the main characters to be a bit less likeable (although, May stayed the same probably because that character has enough foresight to say things (and I am just paraphrasing here, btw) to Mack- "you can't talk Daisy down" and to Coulson, "you are really obsessed with her, and it clouds your judgement. Your the director you need to focus on what is best for SHIELD, etc...) that I would agree with her. As with Fitz and Simmons, I really do think that they are not really that great of a couple and I don't understand why people were shipping them together so hard? I can understand Steve and Bucky but not Fitz and Simmons. It just seems like a poorly rushed love story that they stretched out for like 3 Seasons and then they had to kill off another character (off screen) just so there would be no one standing between those two getting together and to make sure Simmons doesn't have to make any decisions at all.....

Lincoln was bland right up till a few episodes before they killed him off. Which was sad, because he was a decent side character but once he became the main character his likeability just went down, IMO. And it also seemed that the other characters kind of only tolerated him because he was with Daisy and that was it. 

Coulson isn't the lovable nerd from the movies but instead kind of a creepy guy who is obsessed with Daisy and they never explained why he feels like she is a daughter figured to him. It just seems that the writers are just assuming we the viewers will fill in that missing blank. 

Also, the way Bobbie and Hunter were written off the show made me kind of mad and I have heard other people being angry about that as well. 

Edited by TVSpectator
Formatting
  • Love 5

in the overnights yes, but it's doing very well in C3, live+3, live+7, live+30, on demand, other second screen/streaming services, and internationally, the repeats are doing well on MyNetworkTV, the show has merchandising, and most importantly Iger wants a Marvel presence on the network.

The whole renewal vs. cancellation is much more complicated than it was even 10 years ago.  Hell, Quantico was renewed for a second season and is still in prelininary talks for a third because it is making ABC Studios a shit ton of money in international sales and doing extremely well in those markets.  The earnings from its sales were specidically discussed in Disney's earnings report and on a call with investors late last fall.

Live+same day ratinga ticked up to .8 in adults 18-49.  It was also reportedly up week to week in adults 18-34, and in men 18-34 and 18-49 which has always been the shows' selling point.

There was a apparantly a Deadline article discussing a season five, but I cant find it.

• Love 2

I would still say Meh. Only because overall having a 2.4... or even anything in the 2.0 range is still not good for a show on ABC. Plus, let's remember that Agent Carter was like canceled and they pulled in (on their lowest episode) a 2.5.... and with +same day they did just as good as AoS' level. Also, the overall demo is still slipping which, etc...

Sure there are other factors to keep in mind (like that this show has the word, "Marvel" in it's title, etc....) that could keep a TV show on air but it is still a toss up between cancellation and renewal. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

I would still say Meh. Only because overall having a 2.4... or even anything in the 2.0 range is still not good for a show on ABC. Plus, let's remember that Agent Carter was like canceled and they pulled in (on their lowest episode) a 2.5.... and with +same day they did just as good as AoS' level. Also, the overall demo is still slipping which, etc...

Sure there are other factors to keep in mind (like that this show has the word, "Marvel" in it's title, etc....) that could keep a TV show on air but it is still a toss up between cancellation and renewal. 

U.S. live+same day total viewers, fast nationals, overnights, and households dont matter anymore.  The demos, C+3, streaming/on-demand, off-network, syndication, and international sales, production studios, other merchansing, and branding all do, and all of them tilt heavily in Shield's favor.  

Not to mention, Inhumans is already pencilled in to air Tuesdays at 10 starting Sep 26th; it only makes sense for Shield to resume afterwards and with 22 episodes, it would run virtually repeat/break free as thatd cover 30 of the 36 total in-season Tuesdays.  

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

U.S. live+same day total viewers, fast nationals, overnights, and households dont matter anymore.  The demos, C+3, streaming/on-demand, off-network, syndication, and international sales, production studios, other merchansing, and branding all do, and all of them tilt heavily in Shield's favor.  

Not to mention, Inhumans is already pencilled in to air Tuesdays at 10 starting Sep 26th; it only makes sense for Shield to resume afterwards and with 22 episodes, it would run virtually repeat/break free as thatd cover 30 of the 36 total in-season Tuesdays.  

What didn't I know that Inhumans was going to air on Tuesdays at 10? Although, I do think that it's still a toss-up, as of now. Agent Carter was just like SHIELD- low live ratings but really good with demos, C+3, streaming/on-demand and has fewer episodes to produced than SHIELD but still got canceled- and this all happen literally last year.  Like the old saying, the more things change, the more they stay the same. 

As with it airing non-stop without breaks I really don't think that would happen. Either it's going to get fewer episodes or it's going to move nights- if it gets renewed at all. 

Edited by TVSpectator

Agent Carter was just like SHIELD- low live ratings but really good with demos, C+3, streaming/on-demand and has fewer episodes to produced than SHIELD but still got canceled

I think ABC decided to "give the viewers what they want" - i.e. the superheroic angle that made Flash, Supergirl, etc. popular - and decided to replace Agent Carter with what ended up being the Inhumans. It's not a period piece, so it's easier to produce than Carter, and probably a lot of production-related issues make the Inhumans easier to make into a series. Nothing against Carter, I just think ABC would rather have its money end up on the screen as cool special effects for the fanboys, than have its money go towards renting 20 period-specific cars that are seen for all of four seconds in the background.

The one-hour season finale has been scheduled for May 16, coincidentally the day of ABC's upfront.  All of the Tue shows are airing regular timeslot season finales on the night.

10 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

From episode 19 thread:

Also, I still place this show as a toss-up between renewal and cancellation. I mean this show has to be expensive to make since they are bringing in actors like Power Boothe, John Hannah, and David O'Hara and I doubt that John Hannah would do a Season + pro bono work- there has to be some kind of wage for that guy's work on this show, by now. Not to mentioned all the CGI work that needs to be done, etc...

I think money was almost no object this season as the plan was to go out with a blaze of glory. Thus all the money on Ghost Rider's skull  and the return of past cast members for a final showdown with SHIELD's eternal enemy Hydra. If ABC decides to let it continue then fine as far as the Whedon's are concerned.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

I think money was almost no object this season as the plan was to go out with a blaze of glory. Thus all the money on Ghost Rider's skull  and the return of past cast members for a final showdown with SHIELD's eternal enemy Hydra. If ABC decides to let it continue then fine as far as the Whedon's are concerned.

Though it's never been confirmed, it's been widely rumoured that production costs for five seasons of the show was included in the budget for the first Avengers movie.  Also, the international and off-network sales and ratings have been strong.

Heck, compare it to its timeslot competitor Chicago Fire, which happens to be the #1 show at 10pm on television.  Despite largely being a procedural from Dick Wolf and having many more episodes than Shield produced, it still hasnt been sold off-network or into ayndication and has yet to even an a single international deal.

Also, Shield continues to put, relatively, amazing men 18-34 numbers.  At least a year ago it was #2 in all of tv non-sports behind only Walking Dead in that demo.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Raja said:

Actually, I remember reading that the reason why they had to take Ghost Rider off the air was because he would've destroyed their CGI budget. And here is a quote from Jed Whedon:

In a recent interview with TV Line, executive producer Jeffrey Bell said they did away with Ghost Rider (for the time being) because of practical concerns. “[Ghost Rider is] a lot for 22 [episodes], especially with everything else that we like and care about on the show,” he explained. “It would feel like one flavor over a long period of time, but we’ve certainly left it open” to revisit.

The producer also admitted that budgeting issues also made it prudent from them to axe Ghost Rider. The CGI work put into Ghost Rider obviously took more time and money than other pieces of Agents of SHIELD, and those “financial considerations” needed to be addressed. Moving forward, the show’s next arc will use less tech and hopefully bring as much excitement to the table as Ghost Rider did.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/12/28/agents-of-shield-producer-reveals-why-the-show-ditched-ghost-rid/#

So, I would say that they are concern about money. Although, maybe this arc maybe is AOS' way of being a Secret Empire tie in or maybe a way to up the ratings? Personally, I don't know but I am just speculating here on what is going on. 

Edited by TVSpectator
12 hours ago, Tiger said:

Though it's never been confirmed, it's been widely rumoured that production costs for five seasons of the show was included in the budget for the first Avengers movie.  Also, the international and off-network sales and ratings have been strong.

Heck, compare it to its timeslot competitor Chicago Fire, which happens to be the #1 show at 10pm on television.  Despite largely being a procedural from Dick Wolf and having many more episodes than Shield produced, it still hasnt been sold off-network or into ayndication and has yet to even an a single international deal.

Also, Shield continues to put, relatively, amazing men 18-34 numbers.  At least a year ago it was #2 in all of tv non-sports behind only Walking Dead in that demo.

That would be something knew and totally unpresidented in TV before. personally, I just think that AoS can be produced on the cheap because of Marvel being owned by Disney and Dinsey owing ABC?

As with the demo info here are some numbers for this season:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/marvels-agents-shield-season-four-ratings/

According to the chart last episode only got a 0.70 in the demo. 

And here is some demo numbers for Season 3:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/marvels-agents-of-shield-season-three-ratings-38242/

12 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

That would be something knew and totally unpresidented in TV before. personally, I just think that AoS can be produced on the cheap because of Marvel being owned by Disney and Dinsey owing ABC?

Not a surprise for me. I always figured that AOS would have gotten some kind of coin from the movies. Relative scraps at the least, but still something.

And this probably isn't related, but I've always noticed that their CGI game is strongest around the time of one of the MCU movies releasing.

Just now, teenj12 said:

Not a surprise for me. I always figured that AOS would have gotten some kind of coin from the movies. Relative scraps at the least, but still something.

And this probably isn't related, but I've always noticed that their CGI game is strongest around the time of one of the MCU movies releasing.

Still though, aren't the movies and TV shows listed in different departments with different budgets and just because one does good doesn't necessary mean that the other department is going to reap their profits, per se? Also, that would be totally unfair for just about any other TV that has to live and die by ratings. If this is true then AoS has an unfair advantage over other TV shows, and even the other Marvel TV shows like Agent Carter and the Netflix shows, and also something that has never happen before in TV. 

Still, if this is true I would imagine that any decision to cancel this show would be a business decision at the end of the day. Why would Marvel TV and/or the movie side support a TV show that pulls very low numbers and is "bleeding" viewers and ad money? It is possible for this show to get renewed but at this point, I would imagine that any 5th Season is going to be very short and the final season.  Marvel TV has more shows in the line-up like New Warriors, Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, and the Inhumans all coming out within the next year or so. Not to mentioned that the Defenders and The Punisher are scheduled to come out on Netflix this year alone. Plus there are still those rumors about a possible Blade, Ghost Rider, and Moonknight Netflix series. 

Personally, I wonder if they were just saving the best CGI until sweep week to get higher ratings. Ironically, some of their sweep week (which TV has at least a few per year and is usually schedule around the holidays- also when big blockbusters usually do come out as well) does correspond to when some of the movies are released. 

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/how-sweeps-week-works.htm

5 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

Still though, aren't the movies and TV shows listed in different departments with different budgets and just because one does good doesn't necessary mean that the other department is going to reap their profits, per se? Also, that would be totally unfair for just about any other TV that has to live and die by ratings. If this is true then AoS has an unfair advantage over other TV shows, and even the other Marvel TV shows like Agent Carter and the Netflix shows, and also something that has never happen before in TV. 

Still, if this is true I would imagine that any decision to cancel this show would be a business decision at the end of the day. Why would Marvel TV and/or the movie side support a TV show that pulls very low numbers and is "bleeding" viewers and ad money? It is possible for this show to get renewed but at this point, I would imagine that any 5th Season is going to be very short and the final season.  Marvel TV has more shows in the line-up like New Warriors, Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, and the Inhumans all coming out within the next year or so. Not to mentioned that the Defenders and The Punisher are scheduled to come out on Netflix this year alone. Plus there are still those rumors about a possible Blade, Ghost Rider, and Moonknight Netflix series. 

Personally, I wonder if they were just saving the best CGI until sweep week to get higher ratings. Ironically, some of their sweep week (which TV has at least a few per year and is usually schedule around the holidays- also when big blockbusters usually do come out as well) does correspond to when some of the movies are released. 

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/how-sweeps-week-works.htm

Hollywood frequently engages in, ahem, creative accounting.

And I think your focusing way too much on the live + same day U.S. ratings.  For example, the reason The Big Bang Theory is a huge success isn't because it's been the # 1 comedy with huge first and repeat numbers on CBS.  It's a huge success because it has made its production studio and distributors a shit ton of money in syndication, off-network, and international sales.  AoS landed these deals after only three seasons/66 episodes.  

Hell, Quantico is still in consideration for renewal despite its awful ratings on ABC solely because its making bags of money in international sales for ABC Studios.  

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Hollywood frequently engages in, ahem, creative accounting.

And I think your focusing way too much on the live + same day U.S. ratings.  For example, the reason The Big Bang Theory is a huge success isn't because it's been the # 1 comedy with huge first and repeat numbers on CBS.  It's a huge success because it has made its production studio and distributors a shit ton of money in syndication, off-network, and international sales.  AoS landed these deals after only three seasons/66 episodes.  

Hell, Quantico is still in consideration for renewal despite its awful ratings on ABC solely because its making bags of money in international sales for ABC Studios.  

Yeah, I get it but in reality, there is no such thing as float the boat for a pet project TV show, unlike in some other businesses and even in movies. 

• Love 1

For the seventh episode in a row, AoS retained 100% of its total viewer and all demo numbers from start to finish.  It's uncanny for any show to that, except for rare marvel's like This Is Us that grow during the hour, and it's astonishing for any 10pm show to do so.  

• Love 2
(edited)

This season has been fantastic and I'm glad we're going to get another one. With the upcoming Inhumans series we're likely going to get a crossover and hopefully they'll reconcile the "Attilan Royal Family" version with the current "MCU version of mutant" Inhumans.

Edited by VCRTracking

Glad the series is getting renewed. I believe this has been the best season so far. But, is anyone else concerned over ABC demanding reduced costs? Does that mean a smaller cast? Less (or worse) FX? Fewer stunts and fights?

• Love 1
On 5/11/2017 at 7:11 PM, TVSpectator said:

I can't believe ABC  renewed it when it is pulling in a 2.14 in LIVE ratings.

I can, if for no other reason than that 2.14 is significantly better than they've been able to do in that time slot in years.  The Tuesday 10/9c timeslot has been "cursed" for almost a decade now.   There hasn't been a show that's lasted there for longer than a season since at least 2013, and at least 5 shows stuck in that timeslot were cancelled early (Wicked City, Lucky 7, Killer Women, Mind Games, Kings and Prophets).  There's no guarantee that any replacement they stuck in there would do any better.   If they had something promising lined up to replace it, AoS probably would have been toast, but why gamble?  

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, xqueenfrostine said:

I can, if for no other reason than that 2.14 is significantly better than they've been able to do in that time slot in years.  The Tuesday 10/9c timeslot has been "cursed" for almost a decade now.   There hasn't been a show that's lasted there for longer than a season since at least 2013, and at least 5 shows stuck in that timeslot were cancelled early (Wicked City, Lucky 7, Killer Women, Mind Games, Kings and Prophets).  There's no guarantee that any replacement they stuck in there would do any better.   If they had something promising lined up to replace it, AoS probably would have been toast, but why gamble?  

All of those shows really didn't have that much difference in ratings. For example, Of Kings and Prophets was canceled after its second episode received a 2.43 in ratings (which is slightly higher than AoS' current ratings):

The first episode opened up to 3.32 million viewers. The second episode had lower ratings, having live viewing of 2.42 million viewers, assuring the show's cancellation. Beyond the Tank, which had aired several episodes in the fall and early winter in the same timeslot, returned for the remainder of the season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_Kings_and_Prophets#Episodes

Mind Games was canceled on March 26, 2014, after their last episode received a 2.04 in ratings (which yes, is lower than AoS' ratings but not by much and AoS already has dipped, earlier in their season, to 2.00 ratings):

In May 2013, the show was announced as part of the 2013–14 schedule with Christian Slater and Steve Zahn as the stars.[14] Megalyn Echikunwoke, Cedric Sanders, Gregory Marcel and Wynn Everett were announced as part of the supporting cast at that time.[13] In August, Jaime Ray Newman was added to the cast.[6]

On March 27, 2014, after five episodes were aired, the show was canceled due to low ratings.[5]

Killer Woman was canceled like after their 3rd episode aired:

The series premiere was panned by critic Tim Goodman, who wrote: "Killer Women wants to be styled as a kind of cheap, broadcast network knockoff of Quentin Tarantino or something, but ends up redefining 'hokey' in the process."[12] ABC initially placed an eight-episode order for Killer Women, but after low ratings for the first two episodes, especially in the 18–49 demographic (0.9 and 0.7), the first season run was shortened to six episodes. Episode 7 was aired on February 18 as series finale instead of episode 6, because it provided a better ending with the granting of Molly's divorce. As a result, ABC moved up the premiere of the rookie drama Mind Games from March 11 to February 25.[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_Women#Critical_response

Lucky 7 was canceled after their second episode got a 2.62

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_7_(TV_series)#Episodes

Wicked City was canceled because of low ratings:

The first episode premiered to a 0.9/3 18–49 rating and 3.28 million viewers, marking a then-record low for a non-Friday premiere on ABC.[51] The second episode saw the ratings drop to a 0.7/2 18–49 rating and 2.42 million viewers. By the third episode, ratings dropped even lower to a 0.4/1 18–49 rating and 1.69 million viewers, prompting ABC to pull the series off its schedule.[52]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_City_(TV_series)#Ratings

All I am saying is that if a 3.0 something can kill a show only 2-3 years ago then why did this show got renewed when it's lowest rated episode was a 2.0 and it's current episode only got a 2.14?

Edited by TVSpectator
2 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

All I am saying is that if a 3.0 something can kill a show only 2-3 years ago then why did this show got renewed when it's lowest rated episode was a 2.0 and it's current episode only got a 2.14?

Because live viewership is only one piece of the puzzle.  Another major piece is that AoS has a fairly healthy international audience, and since the show is produced "in house" by ABC and Marvel Studios (as opposed to airing something produced by another studio), they make pretty good money licensing the show to other countries.  Same deal with domestic syndication.  Agents of SHIELD isn't just streaming on Netflix.  I've already seen it syndicated on cable here.  Second, while you may not put much stock in the show being watched via streaming, OnDemand and/or on DVR, those things do still matter to network execs when they're making scheduling decisions.  AoS's L+7 ratings score is frequently double or higher than its live numbers.  That's obviously not as good as live ratings, but all of these factors obviously helped save the show from cancellation.

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, xqueenfrostine said:

Because live viewership is only one piece of the puzzle.  Another major piece is that AoS has a fairly healthy international audience, and since the show is produced "in house" by ABC and Marvel Studios (as opposed to airing something produced by another studio), they make pretty good money licensing the show to other countries.  Same deal with domestic syndication.  Agents of SHIELD isn't just streaming on Netflix.  I've already seen it syndicated on cable here.  Second, while you may not put much stock in the show being watched via streaming, OnDemand and/or on DVR, those things do still matter to network execs when they're making scheduling decisions.  AoS's L+7 ratings score is frequently double or higher than its live numbers.  That's obviously not as good as live ratings, but all of these factors obviously helped save the show from cancellation.

It's already in syndication but with overseas sells, I really don't think that it's the bread and butter of ABC. Which, just leaves me with the idea that it was kept on the air because it has the "Marvel" name tagged onto it. I guess that either Marvel TV is preventing ABC from axing the show or maybe ABC feels that by having the show on the air there is a Marvel presence?

Edited by TVSpectator