Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Star Trek

1 hour ago, Pippin said:

Yes, it committed murder, but couldn't they have tried, oh, I don't know -- anything else?  After all, isn't capital punishment a thing of the past as far as the Federation is concerned?

The salt monster was in the process of killing Kirk and had completely overpowered Spock when Spock tried to stop it.  It was kind of “kill or be killed” at that point, as Bones’s first shot didn’t stop it from advancing.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

And this has WHAT to do with the topic, exactly?

Sorry! I thought I was posting in the SNL thread! This is what I get for having multiple tabs open.

I can't seem to edit the previous post to get rid of it. Can a mod please delete it?

I'm going to try to bridge the two with this video:

Edited by VCRTracking

Ahh, pro wrestling. Some days it's wonderful. Okay, they don't commit to it as much as they could, but it's still fun.

Building my collection via the BBCAmerica uncut versions (now if only they showed the "Next Mission" teasers and didn't run their own promos over the end credits) and I'm comparing them to what I got from H&I last year, to see what got cut.  And, since, I'm paying more acute attention than before, I notice a few things.

Specifically, re: Wolf in the Fold.  I noticed that when Lt. Karen Tracy screams off-stage as she's being murdered, Shatner doesn't exactly beat feet.  Hey, Jim, that's your crew in peril!  Move that can!

And then they go downstairs and Karen's dead and Scotty's slumped over, the bloody knife in his hand.  But whereas in the teaser, he was slumped against the wall near Kara's body, which makes sense if he passed out, here he's in a chair.  

So…Scotty stabbed Karen over and over and then…pulled out a chair and sat down?  I mean, I guess murder's a job of work, but still.

My two cents on the debate about "City on the Edge of Forever" and which version is better, Ellison's original or the one that aired is this: Ellison's version would have worked as an original story not involving any Star Trek or it's characters. It would have topped "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" as Ellison's greatest original story if it had been with different characters. However, these were Roddenberry's characters and he knew them best. Kirk would have made the painful decision to sacrifice Edith to save the lives of millions. The episode as is is already heartbreaking and powerful. Everyone's performances were great, Shatner's shattered reaction. McCoy's "Do you know what you just did?!" Nimoy's "He knows, Doctor. He knows." is what makes it the number one Trek episode ever.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Like 4

“Journey to Babel” is one of my favourite Star Trek episodes of any series. I have seen it dozens of times and will happily watch it dozens more. Thank you DC.

• Like 2

RIP, DC Fontana.  

I was thinking recently that she's probably the last major behind-the-scenes player for the original Star Trek that was still alive.  Sad day.  She was a trailblazer and huge for the history of Star Trek.

• Like 3

On 5/4/2015 at 2:24 PM, SimoneS said:

Another loss for the Star Trek community. I read in Grace Lee Whitney's NY Times obituary (below) that she had become an alcoholic and that Leonard Nimoy helped her restart her career after she got treatment. Shows that Leonard Nimoy was a generous person. I am so glad that she got a second chance was able to help so others (including Star Trek fans) with their addictions.

Rest in peace, Grace.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/05/movies/grace-lee-whitney-yeoman-janice-rand-on-star-trek-dies-at-85.html?module=WatchingPortal&region=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=thumb_square&state=standard&contentPlacement=5&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2015%2F05%2F05%2Fmovies%2Fgrace-lee-whitney-yeoman-janice-rand-on-star-trek-dies-at-85.html&eventName=Watching-article-click

See my comment below. She deserved better.

On 8/30/2016 at 6:20 PM, Cobb Salad said:

I'm enjoying "Mirror, Mirror - my favorite line is said by Mr Spock: Your agonizer, please!

Mirror, Mirror is so fucking great.

On 9/27/2016 at 2:58 PM, Peace 47 said:

BUT I will say that the sexism in this show is terrible--truly, truly terrible.  Normally with 60s shows, I just cling to the female empowerment that I can (like Samantha continuing her magic on Bewitched and being her own person not submissive to Darin), but this show is tough because women are so thoroughly portrayed as cowering, emotional, in need of protection and not as smart as the men.  The only high point is Uhura being there as a senior staff officer (who is also black!  even today there's often such a lack of intersectional feminism on TV)  I don't like some of the lines they've put in her mouth about being frightened and whatnot, but what she could do with the role is awesome (and this wasn't a S1 episode, but in the mirror verse episode, she got to be impressively assertive in attacking mirror Spock with the rest of the gang and holding a knife to mirror Sulu).  So I'm a huge Uhura fan already.  That original pilot with Captain Pike looks like it actually might have been better about the sexism, though, with Majel Barrett (sp?) having more of a command position:  at least she got to wear pants and go on away missions!

It's tempting to blame a lot of the sexism of the original series on Roddenberry, who was apparently a ridiculous womanizer (word has it that the yeoman in Where No Man (who grabs Gary Mitchell's hand) was cast by Roddenberry so he could bang her)...but then the First Officer in Menagerie was a woman, and they originally had them wearing pants. But those skirts....Jesus, they barely cover their buttcheeks.

On 9/27/2016 at 7:48 PM, Peace 47 said:

I'm ignorant enough of TOS that I had to look up who Grace Lee Whitney was:  Yoeman Rand!  I see that, if Wikipedia is accurate, she claimed that the show got her hooked on diet pills from pressure to fit into the tiny uniforms (and that she was sexually assaulted by an executive on the show), and so I guess "behind the scenes" was no more empowering to women than what took place in front of the camera.

It just surprised me a little bit, watching some (not all) of these episode for the very first time, that a show that in many ways was quite progressive for its time (preaching tolerance, harmony, difference races and creeds working together, etc.) takes such a dim view of women.  I'm probably influenced by having just watched both the episode where Spock's brain is stolen and the very last episode of the series (where any woman who wants to be a captain is a psycho crazy lady).

There is a lot that's really great about this show, though.  I don't mean to discount how enjoyable that it can be.  Shatner has a ton of charm in this role.  He very well conveyed that roguish charm of Kirk's when he is amused:  like that chess game he was playing with Spock in one of the first episodes and he's grinning while telling Spock that Spock plays an irritating game of chess (then escapes from Spock's trap!  haha).

I am Team Kirk and always have been. Love Spock and McCoy, love Uhura, but I am a Kirk girl. He is soooo cute and charming when he wants to be (especially with all the soft '60s lighting! And those dreamy hazel eyes! And that blond hair!). God, he's so dreamy. I was born during the original series--I didn't get into the show until after Wrath of Khan, which my mother dragged me to see. I was intrigued by it (whereas I'd been bored by the original movie in '79) and started asking her questions--she had all the original James Blish novelizations and the show was in syndication then so I was able to catch up.

That said--rewatching the show makes my heart break for Grace Lee Whitney. The show featured her so prominently in the first half of the first season and then dumped her cold. She was a decent actress and the character is sweet. I especially like her in Charlie X and Miri. Couldn't they just have scaled her back? They dumped her and then the Executive assaulted her. JFC. She deserved better, and the character deserved better. The worst was when, in Miri, they show her gazing in apparent jealousy at Miri and Kirk as they go out together. FFS, I hardly think a grown-ass woman is threatened by an emotional 12 year old! Oh, I forgot, all women see each other as competition in the future.

On 10/24/2016 at 5:27 AM, Peace 47 said:

It's good for its time that the show took Rand's charge seriously and forced Kirk to answer to the allegation.  However, the very ending of the show is nothing short of horrendous when Spock comments to Rand that evil Kirk had some "interesting qualities" or whatever he said.  The implication that Rand was attracted to her attempted rapist on the basis of his sexually aggressive qualities (and not because she was already attracted to good Kirk) is just a world full of nope.  (And why would Spock of all people say that to her?)  Terrible ending to an otherwise decent episode.

Oh my God, that ending!!! My jaw dropped open. Horrifying--and from Spock of all people!

That said, I have mixed feelings about the whole "let's force the victim to confront face to face the guy who forcibly tried to rape her"...but yeah, it was a different time. It's just awful to watch. But props to Rand for kicking ass and throwing him off her, and to Fisher who was unafraid to say "Yes, I saw you, Captain, yes, you were trying to rape her."

On 1/10/2017 at 2:48 PM, MsWausau said:

Peace, my son is a cable technician and last week the temps here in MN went to -15 below during the day. My son called in the morning and said slowly, "-117, two men unconscious..." And once our laughter had died down I heard him jogging to his truck as he said, "Hang on, I have to phaser some rocks to get some heat in my truck."

What befuddles me about that scene is... why didn't they send down the shuttle craft? I know, I know, it was before they invented the thing, so why didn't Sulu make a tent around some rocks, close it off and then heat the rocks? Spock told him 'survival procedures'... and cuddling in his neoprene blanket sufficed?

DYING! Yes, that episode is so ridiculous. Are they using a wholly new kind of temperature scale??? Neither Kelvin, Celsius nor Fahrenheit? We're supposed to be believe they're still alive at 100+ below zero--with blankets???

On 11/6/2019 at 6:57 PM, VCRTracking said:

My two cents on the debate about "City on the Edge of Forever" and which version is better, Ellison's original or the one that aired is this: Ellison's version would have worked as an original story not involving any Star Trek or it's characters. It would have topped "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" as Ellison's greatest original story if it had been with different characters. However, these were Roddenberry's characters and he knew them best. Kirk would have made the painful decision to sacrifice Edith to save the lives of millions. The episode as is is already heartbreaking and powerful. Everyone's performances were great, Shatner's shattered reaction. McCoy's "Do you know what you just did?!" Nimoy's "He knows, Doctor. He knows." is what makes it the number one Trek episode ever.

Fully agree with this. The episode as it aired was brilliant. Ellison's version was completely improbable. Does anyone really think Kirk, of all people, would've sacrificed the future including his beloved Enterprise for one person, no matter how much he loved her? Ridiculous. Ellison's been whining about this for 50 years now, Like, put on your big boy panties and get over it. God knows he's made enough money on his narrative. (Sorry, I can't stand him.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Fully agree with this. The episode as it aired was brilliant. Ellison's version was completely improbable. Does anyone really think Kirk, of all people, would've sacrificed the future including his beloved Enterprise for one person, no matter how much he loved her? Ridiculous. Ellison's been whining about this for 50 years now, Like, put on your big boy panties and get over it. God knows he's made enough money on his narrative. (Sorry, I can't stand him.)

There were characters in Ellison’s version that didn’t behave like they did as already established in the series. Too much time was spent setting up this other story.   He apparently didn’t care or didn’t watch the series closely.  I think at the time he just sold the story and there was no creative control arrangement associated with it.  I 100% agree with you, to keep whining on about it years later is annoying and he should have just moved on to writing his next story.  

• Like 1