Type keyword(s) to search

Mariah's World - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am a lamb for life, so I shamelessly watched just for the soundtrack.

I *love* Mariah, but it's a problem when your reality show/docuseries has yourself has the executive producer. It's never going to be completely "real". People watching with me thought that Molly was a fictional character. Also, her wedding to James Packer was never going to be legal if they rushed it that quickly because at the time, Mariah hadn't finalized her divorce from Nick Cannon and he hadn't finalized his divorce from his wife.

I'm still going to watch the whole thing because Mariah Carey is my reason to live in this cruel, cruel world. I'm OBSESSED, no pun intended. Like when I meet younger guys I define their age by what Mariah albums came out before they were born.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, atlantaloves said:

Oh boy, I just can't! I'm sorry, but that lady needs to stop stop stop doing interviews laying down while talking and then talking about her stupid diamonds, please just shut up honey and sing. Yuck.

I agree with you I tried. Just about every other shot was her in different forms of lingerie laying around or shots of her old performances. Just a reason to show herself off to the camera to me. I wanted to see more singing and rehearsing. Just too much narcissism.

• Love 3

I'm not one of the lambs but I am interested in Mariah.  I'm thinking she makes up this persona for the cameras and when they stop rolling she is a regular person.  I cant see Nick Cannon putting up with her "Darling" act.  Why does she insist on being carried to the stage by men?  It looks so awkward and painful for the men.  When they dip her it's the worst also.  Loved her wedding dress.  That manager of hers is something else.  I dont see how personal assistants do it.  I couldnt do it.  Why doesnt Mariah put some curls in her hair?  That straight look is all she wears now.  Looking forward to more of the insanity.

• Love 3

Glad there are other people to join me in watching all the amazing insaneness that is Mariah. 

I wanna know what happened between her and the dancer, Tanaka.  He's hot and there's definitely some kinda tension happening there.

4 hours ago, vmcd88 said:

I'm thinking she makes up this persona for the cameras and when they stop rolling she is a regular person.  I cant see Nick Cannon putting up with her "Darling" act.  

I still haven't figured out what's an act and what's not.  Part of me wants to believe she's that ridiculously fabulous all the time.  But with the exception of Nikki Minaj, all the celebrities have said that she's pretty cool and down to earth.  But who knows.

• Love 1

Oh, lort. Here we go.

I have mad respect and love for Old School Mariah, but she can be such a fucking cartoon these days

Can Mariah ever wear shirt/outfit that doesn't show off those fake ass titties? I know she must have paid a pretty penny for them, but that doesn't mean that we have to see them ALL the time. Jeez.

I was dying at the brightly lit lighting and the 1-side-of-her-face-only camera shots. She is such a relic from the Diva Age, its glorious. The part that really made me giggle is where she is talking outside to her assistant about postponing the wedding, and instead of filming both of them at once,  they cut back and forth between the woman and her. The assistant is getting the regular lighting and you can see the bags under her eyes. They then cut to Mariah w/the special lighting looking as perfect as ever. I think there was maybe one accidental shot where she was seen unfiltered.  I was so done with her (in a good way) when she said she wouldn't be taking off her sunglasses in a room w/fluorescent lighting. LOL

Someone needs to tell her that while the straight, blonde hair looks ok,  she absolutely slays when she lets her hair go back to its naturally dark,curly state. I feel like the blonde washes out her face.

All and all, I'm here for this mess. As cheesy and corny as it can be to admit to being a Mariah fan these days, I'm still rooting for her. She's the last Great Diva (sorry, Beyonce, you're good and all, but Mariah in her prime shuts down B anyday) and 25 years in the game isn't easy. I hope this crazy bitch finds the real love and happiness she truly deserves.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 11

I can't choose--I love certain ones for different reasons

"Vision of Love" holds a special nostalgic place in my heart because it was our introduction to Mariah and it blew me away

"Someday" and "Shake It Off" are my  post-breakup jams

"Always Be My Baby" fondly reminds me of my first relationship and how I thought we'd be always be together

"Fantasy" will always be the shit, now and forever

"Breakdown"  "We Belong Together" , and "I Don't Want To Cry" are my go-to songs when I'm in my feelings/fighting with a boyfriend

So much goodness.....

• Love 3

Love "I Don't Want to Cry"!

The Music Box album also holds a special place in my heart.  When my mom bought that CD, it played non-stop in the car for 6 months.  I remember HATING it after month 3, but recently re-listened to it and was reminded how great it was.

• Love 1

My favorite album is Daydream. There were so many great songs on it: Underneath the StarsFantasyMelt Away, and Always Be My Baby.

I also love Emotions(loved the whistle register), Vision of Love, My AllBreakdown(I was a Bone Thugs 'n Harmony fan, lol), DreamloverWe Belong TogetherHoney, and Touch My Body

Also, because Christmas is just around the corner, I like to listen to All I Want For Christmas Is You.

It really is hard trying to choose one song that's a favorite. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Someone needs to tell her that while the straight, blonde hair looks ok,  she absolutely slays when she lets her hair go back to its naturally dark,curly state. I feel like the blonde washes out her face.

Mariah's hair isn't naturally dark (it's more light brown) or naturally curly (she admitted to that recently).  Her hair is wavy.  That 3a curl you see when she debuted was a perm.  I think Tommy had Mariah keep it curly and dark to make her look more ethnic.  The second she left him she went straight and blond.  She hated the curls.  I think her natural hair was more like the style she wore during the Daydream album era.  Maybe a slight curl at the end if you styled it right.

• Love 1

I've been a Mariah fan for a long time so I'm accustomed to her ridiculousness lol Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised by the show. It's not nearly as carwrecky as I thought it would be. And yes, Mariah is glorious in her foolish divaness because: A. She doesn't come off as malicious and B. She appears in on the act. Plus, if you listen, she can be kind of witty.

All in all, I'm for this. Not sure about Stella yet but I kinda like Bryan. 

• Love 4

Mariah's hair isn't naturally dark (it's more light brown) or naturally curly (she admitted to that recently). 

Her hair is pretty dark in this childhood photo I found although I agree her hair is more wavy then curly.

I guess the "Butterfly" album cover shows her hair closest to its natural color and state. 10x prettier than the stick-straight blond look.

x240-dH0.jpg

butterfly_260_260_85_s_c1.jpg

• Love 1

I think it's official.

Mariah out-divaed allll the Divas, past & present, with the separate yacht vacation.

I mean, damn, even Maria Callas kicked it on the same yacht as Aristotle Onassis back in the day. And that dude was a shipping magnate!

My Goodness, her lifestyle looks extravagant! When the kazillionaire's family is (reportedly) worried you'll burn through all of his money--- maybe it's time to cut back.

I have some concerns about her children: her greeting them apparently the first time that one day shortly before sunset; her son remarking that 'she looks like she's about to marry someone' when he saw her in her wedding dress---almost as if he didn't get it until that moment---only to have the engagement fall apart; the dancer is very cute, but I think it will confuse her children to see her with him so soon.... Of course, it's clear the children adore her & no parent is perfect.

There were soo many shots of her with a wine glass in hand---- I thought: "Ohhh! That's why she often has handlers to steady her as she walks...."

I found her so very charming & funny & likeable & down-to-earth--- & yet she's so over-the-top! Loved every minute of it!

• Love 4

A grueling tour schedule presents obstacles for Mariah, who does her best to establish a comfortable home base in London for the twins. Meanwhile, two of Mariah's closest friends pull her into the middle of a heated disagreement.

I'm not a fan of Anthony, but I see his point about the bus. I've never been on a tour bus, but I imagine it's a lot like sharing a hotel room - very little privacy. That's very close quarters to be sharing with a child, especially an unrelated child. Anthony could've approached it differently though. And Mary Ann seemed disproportionately angry. She acted like he insulted or disrespected her child. Did he? If he did, I missed it. I get when you're a parent, you're all about your kids. And I guess I can see being insulted when people don't want your kid around. But how can she not see that the dancers expected to be living in an adult environment, and having her kid in the bus affects them? She's essentially asking a bunch of dudes in their 20s, who have no interest in children, to constantly watch their behavior and language around a child, and tiptoe around for the entire tour, for fear of disrupting the child's sleep. The whole thing reminded me of when a couple decides they don't want kids at their wedding, and all the people invited who are parents get in a huff about it, like it's a huge insult, instead of adults just wanting to relax in an adult environment.

Minimally, this should have been communicated to the dancers well in advance. Certainly none of it should have risen to Mariah's attention.

Unrelated: is that assistant wearing circle lenses?

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 18

I'm not a fan of Anthony either but totally understand his position.  If I was Maryann I wouldn't want to be on a bus with a bunch of male dancers let alone with my 6 year old.  I want to know where the manager and her two children were riding?  Why are people allowed to bring their children if the budget doesn't allow for extras?  People who bring their kids along should absorb the cost themselves.

• Love 7

Eh. If Mary Ann was given permission to bring her kid on the tour, then everyone else has to deal.  The dancers' problem was basically, they want to party and hook up with groupies and the kid was cramping their style.  Boo hoo.  You're there to work not party.  That guy threw a tantrum like a damn child.

This show is pretty boring.

Edited by LilaFowler
6 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

Eh. If Mary Ann was given permission to bring her kid on the tour, then everyone else has to deal.  The dancers' problem was basically, they want to party and hook up with groupies and the kid was cramping their style.  Boo hoo.  You're there to work not party.  That guy threw a tantrum like a damn child.

They were arguing to have freedom during their off time, which I can only imagine would be crazy constraining on a bus with a kid. I'm surprised Mary Ann didn't have an issue with it herself. But I do agree that everyone involved could have handled it better. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, appledumpling said:

I'm not a fan of Anthony either but totally understand his position.  If I was Maryann I wouldn't want to be on a bus with a bunch of male dancers let alone with my 6 year old.  I want to know where the manager and her two children were riding?  Why are people allowed to bring their children if the budget doesn't allow for extras?  People who bring their kids along should absorb the cost themselves.

And Mariah's kids.  One of the themes of this episode was Mariah, Stella and Mary Ann being single parents and rah rah sisterhood. But apparently that doesn't extend to travel plans for Mary Ann's son.

The scene with Mariah having a pow wow with Bryran was filmed backstage at the Essence Music Festival, which was in July.   Four months later than the British tour dates in March. 

Very telling is one of Mariah's best friends who has been with her since 1990, Trey Lorenz, did not agree to be filmed and they are blurring him out.

• Love 6

I have children, and I totally agree with Anthony. Is a tour bus of young male dancers the best environment for a 5/6 year old. As a Mom I would be more worried about my child's comfort. Instead of getting my panties in a bunch because he voiced his opinion. Which he is entitled to, just because she is pissed does not mean she is right.

Budget my ass, either pony up more money and make better arrangements for the children, or don't bring them along.

Is loud Stella and her 12 year old daughter also staying on the bus with all those male dancers? I bet on her fake hair they are not!

• Love 9

No diamonds, no fainting couches, no gowns, No Fawning enablers, no iPhones, Also no FOOD, NO water, nobody to carry her through the jungle ON A VELVET COUCH, no Personal Assistants  ...no silicone, Just an environment whereby the crickets and alligators don't give a shit about her fucking Dog Whistle voice!

Edited by Nanu160
Bad salad
  • Love 2

The separate yachts cracked me up. But hey, if you can afford it, and clearly both of them can, why not? I totally understand being a night owl and not wanting to disturb other people. I've been that way most of my life so I've spent a lot of time trying to be quiet while other people sleep. It's one thing for me to go into another room to turn on a light and read, but it's another if you want to do something that makes noise like sing or dance. Sometimes just being in another room with the door closed isn't enough. Heh, on the other hand, I can't afford one yacht, let alone two!

I agree that there are way too many random shots of her performing intercut with the actual show, but the lighting issues are hilarious.

I, too, am undecided as to whether she is totally normal when she's in private. I remember she did a Christmas special ages ago (before the infamous MTV appearance with the ice cream cart) where she had a bunch of her friends at her house and she seemed like a normal person.

Re: the curly hair and Tommy Mottola - I remember she mentioned this after their divorce. He controlled every aspect of her life and her image. He only wanted her to wear black, sing certain songs, have curly hair, and present herself a certain way because she wasn't just his wife. She was his product and he wanted the world to see her a certain way. If I recall correctly, the curly hair was to make her look more like the girl next door. And not that I am defending Tommy Mottola AT ALL, but also remember that her curly hair era began in the late 80s/early 90s when everyone had spiral perms.

To me it seemed obvious that a lot of the things she did after her divorce were a direct reaction to finally being free to dress and sing whatever she wanted. It was like when girls with really strict parents go away to college and start wearing short skirts and drinking. They want to do everything that they were told NOT to do for so long.

The new manager seems like a control freak so I'm surprised Mariah doesn't see shades of Tommy in her. I guess if Stella is only directing her control freak stuff at other people (like the new personal assistant who isn't allowed to have a boyfriend or cry), then Mariah doesn't see it.

I'm undecided on the new assistant. She doesn't seem like she has the right personality for this job. To be a good PA, you have to have a really tough skin and you have to be a good problem solver. So far she doesn't seem like either. I'm not blaming her for not knowing how to set up Apple TV because if you don't have that at home, why would you know how to do that? She just seems like she isn't assertive/aggressive enough to make it last if she's going to be dealing with Stella.

I could not believe that Maria the housekeeper is actually someone on Mariah's staff who got brought to Europe for the tour. But I guess it's better to bring someone who knows exactly what you want instead of dealing with random new people.

I don't understand why Stella said she was dealing with Mariah's prenup at all. Is she a lawyer? If not, the only thing she should be dealing with is asking Mariah's lawyer and the fiance's lawyer, "Did you finish the prenup?"

• Love 4

I am firmly on Team Anthony/Team Dancer. The bus is basically their home 24/7 for the duration of the tour. They shouldn't have to share it with a 5 year old. The "budget issues" that put this CHILD on a tour bus apparently don't extend to putting Stella's 12 year old on the same bus with the dancers.

I totally get that being a mom changes your priorities. That doesn't mean that everyone else's priorities change or that they need to accommodate yours. That backup singer took it so personally that it would have been comical if she hadn't been so serious about it. How is stating that a bunch of grown men who want to blow off steam and drink and cuss on the tour bus considered "coming for your child"? I was like for fuck's sake woman, CALM DOWN. Just because he doesn't want to live with a little kid doesn't make him a kid hater or an ax murderer. And how is she going to react when the dancers are hooting and hollering at 1am and it wakes her kid up? This was just a colossally stupid idea on Stella's part.

I wish that Anthony would have been more factual when he talked about it with Mariah and told her that it's not a good fit to have a 5 year old around a bunch of grown men who are going to be staying up all night, talking shit, partying, etc. I think if he had appealed to her as an artist and reminded her that in between shows, they need to recharge their batteries and having a kid around isn't going to be conducive to that nor would having a kid running around the bus waking them up at 8am when they were working until all hours of the night good for their upcoming performances. When Stella said they just need to dance and STFU the rest of the time, I rolled my eyes. Being on tour can be very grueling. That's why the tour bus is an important aspect. They're not staying at fancy hotels with room service like Stella is. She doesn't care because it doesn't affect her so she can get up on her high horse about how they need to suck it up.

On a related note, not only does Stella get to take her kid on tour but they HIRED her 12 year old to basically post pictures on Instagram. JFC.

I liked that Mariah gave us the origin story behind why she only wants to be photographed from one side. I know it's easy to say that she's an adult so she should get over what one random person said, but it's always things like that that stick with you. I still remember some of the ridiculous and sometimes mean things people have said to me over the years too. Heh, but I had to laugh when the makeup artist said maybe it was just a shitty photographer who took shitty pictures!

Aside from that, the makeup artist annoyed me in this episode. Yeah, sorry the housekeeper is trying to do her actual job and that's interrupting your oh so important bitch session on camera. At first I thought he was trying to be nice to Molly the new PA but nope. Just passive aggressively telling her to her face that she's weird.

And what was with Stella and her gaggle of bitchy cohorts making Molly send them multiple pictures of that super fan? Gawd. When I was a kid, I had this belief that grown ups were actually, you know, grown up. Now I know that adults are just bitchy whiny kids in bigger bodies.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Aside from that, the makeup artist annoyed me in this episode. Yeah, sorry the housekeeper is trying to do her actual job and that's interrupting your oh so important bitch session on camera. At first I thought he was trying to be nice to Molly the new PA but nope. Just passive aggressively telling her to her face that she's weird.

And what was with Stella and her gaggle of bitchy cohorts making Molly send them multiple pictures of that super fan? Gawd. When I was a kid, I had this belief that grown ups were actually, you know, grown up. Now I know that adults are just bitchy whiny kids in bigger bodies.

Yeah, Molly is a little weird but there's no need for the hazing or referring to her as "psychotic". SMH. The make up artist is coming off like a real asshole. And Stella is doing herself no favors. And she's a producer! 

• Love 2

To me it seemed obvious that a lot of the things she did after her divorce were a direct reaction to finally being free to dress and sing whatever she wanted. It was like when girls with really strict parents go away to college and start wearing short skirts and drinking. They want to do everything that they were told NOT to do for so long.

She started to break free a bit prior to the divorce as well....in "Dreamlover", "One Sweet Day" "Fantasy"....her hair was lighter, straighter, and she was dressing in the tiny short shorts....still sort of girl next doorish but you could see her at least trying to dress her age. I'm really surprised that Tommy "let" her do the "Fantasy" remix w/ ODB or "One Sweet Day" with Boyz II Men.

"Butterfly" and "Rainbow" were the only albums where the revealing wardrobe didn't seem over the top. By the time she recovered from the "Glitter" breakdown and was  recording "Emancipation of Mimi" she was hitting her mid-late 30s....and she was starting to look a little desperate. Now the way she dresses when she's nearing 50.....its just over-the-top ridiculous. Yes, she has a nice body (even if some body parts were purchased) but we don't need to see all that anymore. And we don't want to. Same goes for Madonna.

• Love 3

Ok, if I were MC, Stella would be fired and Maryann would be on her final warning, friendship or no.  I hate parents who thinks everybody needs to tolerate their children.  It isn't fair to the child or the dancers to be put in such an awkward situation. Besides the fact that this is probably scripted drama for TV,  IRL the fact that it got to Mariah's level in the first place is evidence that Stella sucks at her job. And then the way Maryann carried on and on and wouldn't let it go even after the situation was resolved....no, sorry. Wouldn't be me. She was fussing her way out of a job as far as I'm concerned. Plenty of people would love the opportunity to sing backup for Mariah, who needs all that BS?

I've seen Mariah be a bitchy diva plenty of times to know that this is all fake. Real Mariah wouldn't deal with this shit. No diva would---could you imagine someone like Whitney or Beyonce playing referee for their peons? Hell no (or hell to tha no, in Whitney's words). This is all reality show fake drama to paint Mariah in a laid back, tolerant light.  Except editing it so her whole crew comes off as total assholes makes for unwatchable TV. She needs to wrap this storyline up quickly cause no one gives a fuck about her backup crew's quarrels. Less backstage mess and more of the glam life,please.

• Love 7
On 12/12/2016 at 0:05 AM, sleepyjean said:

Minimally, this should have been communicated to the dancers well in advance. Certainly none of it should have risen to Mariah's attention.

This!  This demonstrates where Stella is lacking as a manager, because this is something that should have been discussed with the dancers and the back-up singer prior to the time when they are moving onto the bus.  If that's how it has to be due to budget, fine, but give them the time and space to be able to figure out a plan and come to a consensus on how to make it work.  Waiting till the day of is just a recipe for disaster, especially when dealing with two drama queens. 

And if they're allowing kids on the tour, then there should be a dedicated family bus. 

Anyway, all of this is dumb.  Let's see more shirtless Tanaka!

• Love 4

Y'all have pretty much summed up my thoughts about tour-busGate. I am a mom and I don't understand why she got her ass all up on her shoulders. Did he say he hated the kid? That he was ugly and stupid? Damn, its just a bunch of grown ass men who do physically demanding work every night, party afterward and want to sleep during the day recognizing that isn't compatible with a little kid in an rv. She acts like she's never been on tour before. Is she just this extra all the time or was something actually offensive said? 

I cannot STAND Stella. Nothing's in the budget but a salary for your 12 year old is? Pardon me, but the Mimi fans I know who shell out big bucks are not 12 or even teenagers for the most part. While I get the idea that you need 'youth' in sm, I see right through her bullshit. I have a feeling there will be some stories out after she eventually gets the boot. I think Mariah just likes having someone else be the bad guy on camera because I don't see that she's particularly passive or afraid to speak up. Seriously though, Stella will be the reason I stop watching.

• Love 9

I love how all of you know and love the Old Mariah stuff!  That makes me so happy!  My sweet spot is actually Daydream-Butterfly-Rainbow era, but I owned all the music before that as well.  

Here's my favourites:

The Beautiful Ones - cover of Prince's song with Dru Hill - try it!
Fantasy and Fantasy (remix) featuring Ol Dirty Bastard - the classics
The Roof featuring Mobb Deep - so happy to see this mentioned by someone else!
O Holy Night - It's Christmastime!  Try it.
Crybaby featuring Snoop Dogg - smack in the middle of her Derek Jeter era.
Forever - makes me think of Elvis Presley.  Super romantic song.

One Sweet Day and Hero were my favourites as a kid, but it's hard to revisit these as easily today.  They're so intense.

I love how they actually played "Obsessed" on episode 3.  "Obsessed" and "Clown" are Mariah's diss tracks against Eminem.  Must-listens.  Obsessed was also inspired by Mariah's favourite movie, Mean Girls!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Mariah's best album is Emotions.  Very R&B.  And I prefer the original Fantasy over the remix.  Perfect pop song, which is probably whey Mariah hates it and only performs the remix version.

By album, if I have to choose just one:

Mariah Carey - All In Your Mind

Emotions - Can't Let Go

Music Box - Dreamlover (and the remixes)

Merry Christmas - Miss You Most (At Christmas time)

Daydream - Underneath The Stars

Butterfly - Breakdown

Rainbow - Not one good song on the album, so I can't pick anything

Charmbracelet - Subtle Invitation

The Emancipation of Mimi - Stay The Night

E=MC2 - For The Record

Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel - Hate U

Merry Christmas II You - Drawing a blank, can't think of one

Me I Am Mariah- Make It Look Good

• Love 1

Watching first episode for the first time. 

Busgate:  If one of the perks is bringing all the kids then wouldn't they all want to sleep on the same bus?  Who is on Mariah's bus if not one of her best friends and her child who is the same age as the twins???  I think Stella wants Mariah's ear all the time and put Mary Ann on a separate bus for that reason.  Anthony should've gone about it like ElectricBoogaLoo wrote for sure!!

Not really sure why Stella hired Molly since they are so different and have to work so closely together.  

Stella looks like the women from Mob Wives and I don't man that as a compliment.   

There is 10000% more chemistry with Tanaka than with James.  Anyone can see that.   

• Love 1

Mariah must win back her audience when a time zone change goes unnoticed, and she arrives an hour late for her show in Luxembourg. As former employees leak information about Stella to the press, Stella must re-assess her strategy with the team to protect Mariah‟s reputation. Meanwhile, Mariah‟s hairstylist makes a costly mistake, and Stella must reluctantly bring back the fiery Danielle, Mariah‟s former hairdresser who comes with unsettled drama.

I hated all the fake making up between Danielle and Stella. You cannot convince me that they don't hate each other. Stella is still so annoying, but that's because I was brought up with normal manners like not interrupting and talking over people to bully them into silence.

I know that there are certain artists who have a reputation for starting shows late (Mariah and Prince definitely come to mind) but in this particular case, I give Mariah a pass because it's not like she was late to a show because she was refusing to get out of the bathtub. It is her staff's responsibility to know when they are crossing a time zone and plan accordingly so that she will arrive at the venue on time. I'm not saying Mariah is helpless or stupid, but let's be real - she isn't the one booking plane tickets and transportation. She gets on the plane when Stella tells her that it's time to go and that makes it Stella's responsibility to know things like when and where you cross into another time zone. That's part of Stella's job aka what Mariah PAYS her to handle. When I fly out of state or out of the country, I always know what the time difference is when I begin planning my trip, but that's because I don't have staff to deal with my plane tickets, limos to the airport, sending my wardrobe, renting a place for me to live, etc.

But on top of the time change issue, Stella should not be cutting it so close with when Mariah arrives at a venue. The flight from London to Luxembourg is just over an hour. When they were getting on the plane and they realized the mistake with the time difference, someone (Mariah?) said that they were already supposed to be at the venue, which means that if they hadn't screwed up with the time difference, she would basically be walking into the venue a few minutes before the show was supposed to begin which is really unprofessional. When I was a performer (and believe me, I was nowhere near Mariah's level in terms of pay, fame, etc.), I usually showed up to the venue about an hour before I was scheduled to perform. You just never know what's going to happen to it's better to get there early, get settled in, check in with everyone, warm up, get yourself in the right mindset, etc.

• Love 2

OMG y'all, did you see Mariah's NYE performance? She didn't even try to sing along to the backing track for the first song (Emotion). Instead she walked around the stage and said that they didn't do a sound check (according to some sources, the reason she didn't get do a sound check was because she showed up so late). I felt really bad for all of her backup dancers who were all doing their best to cheerfully keep dancing while she just stood at the front of the stage looking uncomfortable. Even worse, when two of them came up to do some one on one dancing with her, she just flat out told them, "I'm not doing the lift," so they were stuck trying to improvise something with her. I know this season is supposed to have eight episodes so I wonder if they are still filming and if this will be included on the show.

She pulled out her earpiece at one point so I don't know if she couldn't hear properly or if there was some other problem. She also said something about the monitors. In her defense, I will say that it's really disorienting when you're onstage and you can't hear the monitors because it sounds like you're off beat. But that's why it's important to make sure you're at sound check! I know I have had some potentially disastrous situations because of that (at one performance, we did a sound check beforehand, but the beginning of the music was very low and I guess no one took into account how loud the audience would be so none of us on stage could hear the music for about the first 30 seconds so there was this awkward 10-20 seconds when everyone was scrambling to figure out what was going on and get on the music).

• Love 3

I read the article in the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4079370/Mariah-Carey-prepares-New-Year-s-Eve-performance-Times-Square.html

She said she just wanted a holiday...why can't she have one! Well, don't agree to sing on NYE. And Tanaka and Anthony(?) carried her to the stage for rehearsal? Oh, and someone in her entourage asked exactly what time does the ball drop! That was probably the same person who wasn't aware of the time change in that crossing borders episode. There were technical problems but I think Mimi just didn't give a shit about being there.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

OMG y'all, did you see Mariah's NYE performance? She didn't even try to sing along to the backing track for the first song (Emotion). Instead she walked around the stage and said that they didn't do a sound check (according to some sources, the reason she didn't get do a sound check was because she showed up so late). I felt really bad for all of her backup dancers who were all doing their best to cheerfully keep dancing while she just stood at the front of the stage looking uncomfortable. Even worse, when two of them came up to do some one on one dancing with her, she just flat out told them, "I'm not doing the lift," so they were stuck trying to improvise something with her. I know this season is supposed to have eight episodes so I wonder if they are still filming and if this will be included on the show.

She pulled out her earpiece at one point so I don't know if she couldn't hear properly or if there was some other problem. She also said something about the monitors. In her defense, I will say that it's really disorienting when you're onstage and you can't hear the monitors because it sounds like you're off beat. But that's why it's important to make sure you're at sound check! I know I have had some potentially disastrous situations because of that (at one performance, we did a sound check beforehand, but the beginning of the music was very low and I guess no one took into account how loud the audience would be so none of us on stage could hear the music for about the first 30 seconds so there was this awkward 10-20 seconds when everyone was scrambling to figure out what was going on and get on the music).

I just saw the video.  Nothing to say but wooooooooooooow!  I had second hand embarrassment.

Here's the video: 

The other problem was that she kept getting distracted by looking at herself on the screen.  It was like she didn't like how her hair was laying across her shoulder or something.

• Love 1