Type keyword(s) to search

Bands & Singers You Just Can't Stand

UYI
  • Start Topic

I feel like she's not in my life enough for me to care but I still don't get Miley Cyrus, y'all. It's the people who now that she's on her 3rd or 4th makeover that try to convince you she's a good singer. She's not. She's really not. She's still really nasal and she always sounds congested. Her singing voice is just ugly. And it's not really remarkable. It's mostly straight tone. And she's got a little bit of power but nothing that makes her stand out as a rock singer or anything like that. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I feel like she's not in my life enough for me to care but I still don't get Miley Cyrus, y'all. It's the people who now that she's on her 3rd or 4th makeover that try to convince you she's a good singer. She's not. She's really not. She's still really nasal and she always sounds congested. Her singing voice is just ugly. And it's not really remarkable. It's mostly straight tone. And she's got a little bit of power but nothing that makes her stand out as a rock singer or anything like that. 

I have to bite my tongue when people praise Miley Cyrus for her "great voice". In my opinion, no. No, Miley Cyrus does not have a "great voice". Audra McDonald has a great voice, Sierra Boggess has a great voice, Kelly Clarkson has a great voice, Miley doesn't. On a technical level, yes, she can kinda sing, and she could easily out-sing yours truly (but that ain't sayin' much), but you described the issues with her voice perfectly. 

• Love 4

Man, I thought that I was picky with music. lol  I get it though.  Most of the artists listed upthead have been on my list somewhere along the line, though probably no one from before the 90's.

Justin Beiber, but, I do like one of his songs, so........

Jennifer Lopez

Beyonce

JayZ

Kanye West

Justin Timberlake

Eminem

Jennifer Hudson

• Love 2
(edited)

Justin Timberlake, forever and ever, Amen.

Throwing Janet Jackson under the bus after Nipplegate? Check.

Continuing to take not-so-veiled shots at Britney years after their breakup? Yep.

Cultural appropriation? You got it.

And now he's planning to include a Prince hologram in his halftime show, despite Prince criticizing him several times when he was alive, AND stating that he hated holograms.*

Remind me again WHY JC was pushed aside for this clown?

(*To be fair, Prince's sister deserves a side-eye for this too, for approving of this despite her brother's stated distaste for holograms.) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 10
(edited)

Oh, two (dis) honorable mentions in my JT hate:

1. His annoying BFF status with late night TV's reigning Mediocre White Man, Jimmy Fallon (James Corden is always threatening this status, though, so watch out!).

2. The fact that I have him to thank for introducing the world to Chris Stapleton (when they performed together at he 2015 CMAs). I love Chris, but I DON'T WANT TO THANK JT FOR ANYTHING, DAMN IT. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

I like Corden because he's such a theater geek and of all the major network late night hosts, I think he does the best job with the segments and the guests (though his monologue is shite). Seth is great at his at the desk reports, Colbert is solid but nowhere near where he was with his CC show, Kimmel is not funny, and Fallon hasn't been good since Weekend Update. I was almost glad to have a reason to stop watching the clips of his show that would get passed around online. 

But otherwise, point taken on Timberlake. I've never liked him and his mediocrity and cultural appropriation and I'm totally cool with everyone else starting to pile on. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I do appreciate Corden for Carpool Karaoke, so there's that.

Also, Sheila E. just shot down the Prince hologram rumors, so that makes me happy. Still not here for JT, though. #JusticeForJanet #NeverForget 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4

I can't stand Blink 182. Their lyrics are so juvenile, they sing about what I hear 13 year old boys in junior high discuss with each other. Also, they made a big deal at the 2009 Grammys that they WE'RE BACK! Then....whoops, they didn't come back until last year.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I can't stand Blink 182. Their lyrics are so juvenile, they sing about what I hear 13 year old boys in junior high discuss with each other.

That didn't really bother me back in the day but it does now that they're pushing 50.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

If I hear that girl singing "meet me in the middow" one more time....

I don't know who she is and I don't want to know.

It's "meet me in the middle", the name of the song is "The Middle"

My main issue with Maren is that the personality in her voice is lost when she sings "The Middle". I still like it, but I prefer her country stuff MUCH more.

Here's someone I can't stand:

Sam Hunt. I wouldn't shed a single tear if he decided to call it quits on his music career. 

• Love 1
On 9/10/2018 at 8:32 PM, UYI said:

Here's someone I can't stand:

Sam Hunt. I wouldn't shed a single tear if he decided to call it quits on his music career. 

More than Florida Georgia Line?  I'm grateful this year's CMT artists award is honoring women because it means no FGL or Jason Aldean.  They should've included Kasey Musgraves unless she's busy touring that date.  

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Stuffy said:

More than Florida Georgia Line?  I'm grateful this year's CMT artists award is honoring women because it means no FGL or Jason Aldean.  They should've included Kasey Musgraves unless she's busy touring that date.  

The Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum of country music are certainly up there, too. 

On 12/5/2016 at 7:20 PM, Ohwell said:

Those indie females with the affected, baby-voice sounding voices.  I can't think of their names, but I think y'all know who I mean.

I call it "Apple commercial music."

On 9/9/2018 at 3:36 PM, Ohwell said:

If I hear that girl singing "meet me in the middow" one more time....

I don't know who she is and I don't want to know.

Every fucking time I get a Lyft or go to the gym, this song plays. How have people not gotten tired of it by now?

As for bands and musicians I can't stand, I've always hated Linkin Park. I feel kind of bad speaking ill of the dead, but whatever. Their music literally makes me feel nauseous for some reason and it was so overplayed in the early 2000s. Not to mention they were one of the many bands whose vocalist tried and failed to imitate Layne Staley.

I also hate the type of little-kid music like that "this is gonna be the best day of my life" song, especially because they're always played on car commercials and stuff like that. Like...you're not Animal Collective and even they sucked a lot of the time...just stop.

• Love 3

I hate Queen, which is no easy task because I am assaulted by their music on multiple fronts, sometimes several times a day -- radio, sports, tv and movies, advertising ... The upcoming Freddie Mercury biopic won't make life any easier for me either.

Billy Fucking Joel.

I also hate The Police.   Somewhere along the way they were reclassified as "New Wave" (which they never were -- I was there when "Roxanne" was a hit, and it was strictly album rock stations playing it) so now I have to suffer their nonsense in 80s New Wave compilations, programs, etc.   

Yes.

Chicago.

The Talking Heads.

No Doubt (No Talent, a band built entirely on Gwen Stefani's looks).

Green Day.

Hate the Red Hot Chili Peppers.   Loathe them, in fact.   Their cover of "Rollercoaster of Love" being the sole exception.

Dave Matthews (the Mumford & Sons of the 90s).   

Mumford & Sons.   

The Lumineers.

Hozier.

Fall Out Boy/Panic at the Disco (I am not convinced these are two separate bands)

Fun.

Walk the Moon.

12 hours ago, millennium said:

Walk the Moon.

I don't have a problem with their music, but their look drives me insane. They must be the most overstyled band in history. Everytime I see the video for "One Foot" all I do is stare at the lead singer's multiple silly outfits, bleached hair, & face painting, & wonder if it's his girlfriend who's the band stylist. And why does one guitar player have a long flap of material hanging down from his ass & while the other one appears to be wearing leggings from Fabletics?

1 hour ago, GaT said:

I don't have a problem with their music, but their look drives me insane. They must be the most overstyled band in history. Everytime I see the video for "One Foot" all I do is stare at the lead singer's multiple silly outfits, bleached hair, & face painting, & wonder if it's his girlfriend who's the band stylist. And why does one guitar player have a long flap of material hanging down from his ass & while the other one appears to be wearing leggings from Fabletics?

I couldn't tell you.   They don't last more than a moment on my radio, monitor or TV screen.   That "Shut Up and Dance" song did irreparable harm.

3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Beck. His voice is nails on a chalkboard to me.

Cake - same thing and as far as I'm concerned Beck and Cake are the same entity. 

I'm mostly in agreement with you, can't stand that deadpan vocal style ... but then Beck did "Dreams" which got a lot of airplay around here and I liked it, probably because it was nothing like his previous work.

On 9/14/2018 at 12:36 AM, millennium said:

I hate Queen, which is no easy task because I am assaulted by their music on multiple fronts, sometimes several times a day -- radio, sports, tv and movies, advertising ... The upcoming Freddie Mercury biopic won't make life any easier for me either.

Billy Fucking Joel.

I also hate The Police.   Somewhere along the way they were reclassified as "New Wave" (which they never were -- I was there when "Roxanne" was a hit, and it was strictly album rock stations playing it) so now I have to suffer their nonsense in 80s New Wave compilations, programs, etc.   

Yes.

Chicago.

The Talking Heads.

Green Day.

Hate the Red Hot Chili Peppers.   Loathe them, in fact.   Their cover of "Rollercoaster of Love" being the sole exception.

Mumford & Sons.   

The Lumineers.

Hozier.

Fall Out Boy/Panic at the Disco (I am not convinced these are two separate bands)

Fun.

Walk the Moon.

I've never heard of anyone before who hates Queen. I'm tired of their music after hearing it a million times but I wouldn't say I hate them.

I used to like Red Hot Chili Peppers until I learned more about the band members as people. Now they just kind of gross me out. The Police is another band that grosses me out. Something about their music is just kind of sketchy.

Green Day is a nostalgia band for me...I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them but if a song comes on by them I will enjoy it. Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco are sort of nostalgia bands for me but I don't like their music, whereas I do like Green Day's music.

Talking Heads is one of my favorite bands, but I can't stand "Psycho Killer." But I think either you get them or you don't.

On 9/14/2018 at 7:47 AM, Ohwell said:

Another one who can't enunciate is the girl who keeps singing "you're beautifuh" over and over.  I don't know who she is, and I don't want to know. 

I get it.  I'm beautifuh.

It isn't this song, is it...because if so I've got news for you, that's a dude....

This is one of my least favorite songs ever, and has been overplayed since it came out on top of it.

2 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

I've never heard of anyone before who hates Queen. I'm tired of their music after hearing it a million times but I wouldn't say I hate them.

I used to like Red Hot Chili Peppers until I learned more about the band members as people. Now they just kind of gross me out. The Police is another band that grosses me out. Something about their music is just kind of sketchy.

I've hated Queen since 7th grade, the same year "Killer Queen" came out.   It's a visceral thing.   I'm not so uptight that I didn't laugh at the Bohemian Rhapsody bit in Wayne's World; alas, I think that movie helped to repopularize them.    I'm also a longtime Highlander fan, movies and series, so try to imagine that, a Highlander fan who hates Queen.   Not easy.

Agree and agree re: Chili Peppers and the Police.

On 9/14/2018 at 1:36 AM, millennium said:

Billy Fucking Joel.

Yes.

Chicago.

The Talking Heads.

Green Day.

Mumford & Sons.   

The Lumineers.

Hozier.

Fun.

Walk the Moon.

DAMN, do you like anybody? ;)

(And I have to respectfully disagree about No Doubt being solely about Gwen Stefani's looks--her older brother Eric founded the band when he and Gwen were still teenagers because of his obsession with ska music, and the other band members resented the attention Gwen got at their expense when the band finally hit it big).

On 9/14/2018 at 8:47 AM, Ohwell said:

Another one who can't enunciate is the girl who keeps singing "you're beautifuh" over and over.  I don't know who she is, and I don't want to know. 

I get it.  I'm beautifuh.

At first I thought you meant Christina Aguilera and her song "Beautiful", but I know you know who she is! Then I realized you meant Alessia Cara and "Scars to Your Beautiful" (which, my God, what a dumb name).

10 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

I've never heard of anyone before who hates Queen. 

My dad does, too. 

55 minutes ago, UYI said:

At first I thought you meant Christina Aguilera and her song "Beautiful", but I know you know who she is! Then I realized you meant Alessia Cara and "Scars to Your Beautiful" (which, my God, what a dumb name).

Yeah, I don't know these younguns' names but I looked it up and it is Alessia Cara.  

5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, I don't know these younguns' names but I looked it up and it is Alessia Cara.  

Oh I hate that song too! In general I hate those kind of "everyone is beautiful just the way they are!" songs. They're always sung by conventionally attractive people with professionally done makeup and hair, and a professionally styled wardrobe. And these people are only ever in relationships with equally conventionally attractive people. I always imagine these type of songs being thought up in a conference room full of marketing executives telling the artist about how body positivity is "trending." But also it's like, "who are you to tell me if I'm attractive or not, you don't even know me!" I feel the same way when I see "inspirational" quotes.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, GaT said:

Adam Levine & Maroon 5. I dislike him & hate his band's music.

Some Maroon 5 song played at my work a few years ago, and one time when it was on, a coworker said Adam Levine's voice was so sexy.  I did not understand how anyone could think that.

• Love 1

I've been spoiled by listening to singers who actually were gifted pitch perfect voices. Singers such as Hayley Westenra, Jo Stafford, Claire Richards, to name a few. Whitney Houston was awesome in her prime.  This is why it's so difficult for me to enjoy singing by  Miley Cyrus, Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift , to name a few. Bless their hearts. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I've been spoiled by listening to singers who actually were gifted pitch perfect voices. Singers such as Hayley Westenra, Jo Stafford, Claire Richards, to name a few. Whitney Houston was awesome in her prime.  This is why it's so difficult for me to enjoy singing by  Miley Cyrus, Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift , to name a few. Bless their hearts. 

I'm listening to Shoshana Bean right now.  I second this sentiment.

On ‎05‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 5:53 PM, janie jones said:

Some Maroon 5 song played at my work a few years ago, and one time when it was on, a coworker said Adam Levine's voice was so sexy.  I did not understand how anyone could think that.

I like some of their songs, but yeah, that voice is not sexy.  It's not terrible, but it's just kind of there.

Now, Bryan Ferry, there's a man with a sexy voice.

On ‎05‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 8:43 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I must not notice that sort of thing, I guess, but I can see where it would make a big difference if you do.  Although I pretty much loathe Whitney Houston except for How Will I Know and I Wanna Dance With Somebody.

• Love 2
On 7/13/2020 at 5:52 PM, Kjharrison said:

I cannot stand AC/DC. The screeching voices (yes, Bon Scott and Brian Johnson) and the freaking bagpipes. Ugh. 

I keep wanting to love AC/DC because I love the song Thunderstruck. But I'm now convinced I only love Thunderstruck because of hockey and because it was the song my college hockey team took to the ice to.  So my love for that song is nostalgic and specific.  Otherwise one AC/DC song sounds the same as all the others to me. 

AC/DC 's music is generational.  They never changed their  style of low down dirty ,raunchy rock and roll blues just to keep up with changes in music genres, didn't have to, because what they had worked.  Ever notice how at lots of college football games you'll hear the tolling of the bell from the beginning of  "Hell's Bells"?

• Love 3