Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I've never purchased Velveeta, but I'm certain I must have eaten it. But I was raised on Kraft Singles, which I'm guessing can't be much better.

I will add my kids were not raised on Kraft Singles. lol

Kraft singles make the best grilled cheese sandwiches. Yes, I ate it growing up. 

I remember back in the day, my cousin and I were going to run away. I had my bike, he had his big wheel. For sustenance, we took along several wrapped pieces of Kraft singles. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 21

Back in the olden days there weren't as many glorious choices. It was Kraft singles or Kraft singles. One time when I was a kid eons ago someone somewhere gave me a piece of Muenster cheese. What? There are cheeses as in more than one? Later there were more choices. I don't count cream cheese or cottage cheese

• Like 17
32 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Back in the olden days there weren't as many glorious choices. It was Kraft singles or Kraft singles. One time when I was a kid eons ago someone somewhere gave me a piece of Muenster cheese. What? There are cheeses as in more than one? Later there were more choices. I don't count cream cheese or cottage cheese

I remember times we had Muenster cheese and yes... that was a big deal! 

• Like 7

I found the Kraft Deli Deluxe Yellow American cheese is the best you can get without having it sliced fresh from the deli (Boars Head); if you can afford either these days....To bring this to JoyAnna; I highly doubt that she has ever had anything but the cheapest sliced American cheese available. Sorry to say.

• Like 9
44 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I highly doubt that she has ever had anything but the cheapest sliced American cheese available. Sorry to say.

I do expect that's about all she knows with the possible addition of some pre-grated mild cheddar in a bag.

Today in the store I saw individually sliced and wrapped Velveeta slices right beside the sliced and wrapped Kraft singles! That was my first sighting. 

• Like 5
On 12/30/2022 at 12:20 PM, GeeGolly said:

I've never purchased Velveeta, but I'm certain I must have eaten it. But I was raised on Kraft Singles, which I'm guessing can't be much better.

I will add my kids were not raised on Kraft Singles. lol

I was raised on Cheddar cheese, and we actually lived some ten miles away from Cheddar in England, so I guess you can't get more authentic than that. I love cheese of pretty much any sort, and agree that there are also solid places in the cheese universe for processed cheese. Even after we moved to the USA when I was 10, a grilled cheese sandwich basically meant open-faced, melted cheddar cheese on toast, though I have learned to appreciate a gooey American style grilled cheese made with Kraft singles as well. I have always used Kraft singles to make mac & cheese, and my kids, though they can be foodies, actually prefer that to versions made with mixtures of real cheeses.

• Like 8

Did anyone see the movie "Chef"?  There was a scene where Jon Favreau was making a fabulous grilled cheese on a griddle.  I wanted it!  I read an interview with him and he said he practiced, and had coaches while he was filming or almost filming.  It had more than one kind of cheese.  The daughter in law makes macaroni and cheese in the Instant Pot with several kinds of cheeses.  So yummy. In keeping with the topic, I wonder if Joy has an Instant Pot?

Edited by lookeyloo
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Did anyone see the movie "Chef"?  There was a scene where Jon Favreau was making a fabulous grilled cheese on a griddle.  I wanted it!  I read an interview with him and he said he practiced, and had coaches while he was filming or almost filming.  It had more than one kind of cheese.  The daughter in law makes macaroni and cheese in the Instant Pot with several kinds of cheeses.  So yummy. In keeping with the topic, I wonder if Joy has an Instant Pot?

Taking my reply to Small Talk. 

On 1/1/2023 at 2:49 AM, MsJamieDornan said:

Joy was.  lol

I guess they don't follow entertainment news so have not heard what happened to Jeremy Renner while operating heavy equipment.  In his case, I am sure the weather and the depth of the snow was the problem and not that he was screwing around.  Joy could kill herself or her kids being so irresponsible.  Heavy equipment is not a toy.

• Like 10
  • Applause 10
51 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I may be crotchety…. Gideon coming back from playing on the playground, apparently by himself, and not washing his hands before eating was disgusting.

The funny way he was holding his hands out when he came running up to the table (12:23) looks like he may have just washed them and was trying to dry them off. 

• Like 2

I wonder if other than a paid partnership (no idea if they do) what was the impetus to sign them for lessons? Austin and Joy seem very insular. But YAY for the kids, anything to get them out of the house, socialize, and most important, learn a life saving skill. 

• Like 10
8 minutes ago, SMama said:

I wonder if other than a paid partnership (no idea if they do) what was the impetus to sign them for lessons? Austin and Joy seem very insular. But YAY for the kids, anything to get them out of the house, socialize, and most important, learn a life saving skill. 

Joy and Austin seem to really love the outdoors and being active, so I think that ensuring their kids are strong swimmers would matter to them. Simply so that they can enjoy certain activities with them. Joy and Austin may not have felt they could teach the kids themselves so they signed them up for lessons.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
30 minutes ago, SMama said:

Joy has mentioned the place (it's the same place Jill goes). I think she's also linked it, so she's probably getting lessons gratis.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
6 minutes ago, SMama said:

Was Joy the Duggar who said the older and younger kids learned to swim but the middle kids for some reason didn't?

I do remember that, the middle kids, Joe-Justin didnt have formal lessons and weren't strong swimmers as kids.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
On 9/29/2022 at 6:54 PM, Gemma Violet said:

Austin's construction business must be thriving because WOACB says Joy and Austin recently purchased eleven acres of property for $159,500 cash.  It's zoned for agricultural purposes, not residential purposes.

I'm quoting myself because WOACB says that Joy and Austin have plans to turn this into an RV park.  (If this has been discussed before, please disregard my post.)  Because it is not properly zoned, Joy and Austin will apply for a variance.  There's a big outcry on Facebook from the residents because the property is right next to a school and a daycare center.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 7

The Kessler Mountain Luxury RV resort got approved, but never went anywhere as far as being built. JD also has a few llcs with rv resort wording in the title. Riverside RV Park or some such. The land owned by that llc is a small piece of property adjacent to some property the JB and Meech trust owns.

• Useful 5
49 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

New Joy/Austin video:

Did we know that Austin's great-grandfather was a nuclear physicist who worked for NASA?

My reaction to that tidbit:

Surprised No Way GIF by Laff

Also, careful, Michelle, you almost look like you're wearing pants. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 7

I think I saw both Anna and Jill in the video.

Those poor neighbors who bought Amy's house. They offered up their (fantastic) outdoor play area to the Forsyths "anytime they want". So the kids seem to run over and play on their own. I can imagine that could turn into a nightmare - for the neighbors.

How close is Joy to delivering? She seems to get easily out of breath.

• Like 6
7 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

New Joy/Austin video:

Did we know that Austin's great-grandfather was a nuclear physicist who worked for NASA?

Jessa kept her purse over her mid-section and looked annoyed at Joy filming her. Just saying! Also, it's funny to me (with twins in my family) to only mention that it's Jana's birthday with no mention of JD, even in passing.

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

New Joy/Austin video:

What happened to that family?! That is really interesting. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, leighdear said:

The photo at the beginning of Joy's video showing HER sisters & mother is an old one as part of the intro montage. 

The video itself is current and Joy is with her husband's family. None of her family was on the nails/lunch/shopping trip shown here. 

The second trip to the nail salon is later in the video.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

New Joy/Austin video:

Meanwhile Austin’s dad is barely literate. What happened?

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The second trip to the nail salon is later in the video.

Got it, I only watched the first few minutes.  Can't stomach much of their videos.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Like 4
14 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

New Joy/Austin video:

Geez!  Hard to believe. @AstridMsame thought- what happened??  I am sure it was the descent into fundamentalism. I wonder if the ggrandpa was fundy or not. 

Edited by awaken
  • Like 7
4 hours ago, YupItsMe said:

I thought it was a joke.

I kind of wondered that, too... Austin is very good with the deadpan humor, but this was said in such a matter-of-fact way...

Also could be an exaggeration. Maybe a great-grandfather worked at NASA, but not actually as a physicist.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2