Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I agree. People think Austin is one of the more supportive Fundie husbands, but apparently that's only as long as Joy follows his playbook. The second she made an independent choice, he negged her into oblivion. Even Austin's father ruining the surprise felt deliberate like, "ain't no woman gonna hide something from my son!." Tired or not, they're horrible people. 

I’ve always suspected that Austin is a controlling, arrogant, redneck dick. And his dad absolutely is.

Edited by AstridM
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 15
38 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

I also think Austin doesn't like to be filmed.

I agree, but I don't think he knew he was being filmed when he first stepped into the door. I really think we got the "real" Austin there, not "this is my persona for the camera" Austin.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I agree, but I don't think he knew he was being filmed when he first stepped into the door. I really think we got the "real" Austin there, not "this is my persona for the camera" Austin.

He should know he's being filmed, since Joy seems to be following Carlin's footsteps these days and filming everything.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

These fundie women have never had a say in anything in their lives, including who they marry. The fact they feel the need to have to keep this thick long hair their whole lives is ridiculous. So is having to ask permission to cut it(Jill with Derick). I know Joy didn’t seem to tell Austin ahead of time and he was a dick about the after look. 
Why these women don’t want to at least try to venture out of fundie rules and tell their husbands to fuck off, is beyond me(I know, easier said than done for them). 
When my husband and I were dating, I had hair a little past the middle of my back. I have thick hair and I couldn’t stand taking 25 minutes to dry it every day. Cut it to my shoulders. Was he shocked, sure, but he didn’t criticize it and actually liked it. He has always said he doesn’t care how I wear my hair and he doesn’t. I wear it pretty short now and will never grow it out. 
Joy, your hair looks GREAT and healthy. 

Edited by Madtown
  • Love 13
19 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Austin is such a dick and so is his father.

For starters, the haircut looks amazing and you could tell Joy felt like a million bucks when she left the salon. Poor thing just wanted her husband to say something nice and the most he could muster was a half-hearted "I don't hate it" followed by "it's short." Then to add insult to injury, he reveals his father ruined the surprise. Great guy 🙄.

It occurred to me that the father may have told Austin because he thought Austin wouldn't notice or wouldn't approve and he wanted Austin to give Joy a positive reaction.

I liked his father at the sex reveal. Joy was going around badgering everyone to guess boy or girl, wouldn't give up with some until they answered,  and he just said "it's a boy or a girl." He didn't sound nasty about it; he seemed like he thought the whole sex reveal was stupid.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I don't get this fixation on hair length. Joy didn't chop it all off and go for a short punk rock look. She just got it cut, but it's still past shoulder length. Isn't that long enough for Austin? 

Also, it's not as if everyone in fundie land has super long hair. Mary Duggar always had a shortish bob, and Jim Bob for all his assholery seems to have adored his mother. Abbie and Jana also don't have super-long hair.

• Love 6

And maybe he just didn't hate it. Mr lookeyloo has not liked all of my hair styles or lengths. I don't care and he doesn't care that I don't care. Maybe it's just that. Yes in an ideal world all spouses will at least act supportive but I think I can guarantee that a lot of non fundie perfectly adequate spouses Act the same And life goes on.  Yes joy seemed to care that Austin  liked it.  That's only one of the part of their beliefs I don't like  

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Mr. Kitty just says something like, "Oh, you got a haircut. Looks nice." I don't have to prompt him, and to be honest, he's not the most observant person, so I am surprised he even noticed. And since I am not doing anything drastic, he doesn't notice every time I get a cut. And I am fine with that. I get my hair done for me, not him. 

I hope Joy can learn not to lean so heavily on Austin's opinions and take some agency for herself.

• Like 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

And maybe he just didn't hate it. Mr lookeyloo has not liked all of my hair styles or lengths. I don't care and he doesn't care that I don't care. Maybe it's just that. Yes in an ideal world all spouses will at least act supportive but I think I can guarantee that a lot of non fundie perfectly adequate spouses Act the same And life goes on.  Yes joy seemed to care that Austin  liked it.  That's only one of the part of their beliefs I don't like  

I'd agree if Joy is the type of person who goes to the salon every week to get her nails done and normally makes a decent effort with appearance. But instead, Joy rarely makes much effort -- she doesn't wear hardly any makeup, she is more likely to go barefoot than to buy a pair of cute shoes. This time you could tell she really put in an effort and it was a big deal to her that she cut off all that hair and also styled it in a way that wasn't too short. So Austin should have at least recognized that she stepped outside her normal comfort zone and said something nice about it. 

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

But she stepped outside of his comfort zone (and control).  These fundy husbands take their right of unbrellaship seriously.

True. Fundie men think it's their way or the highway. They don't respond well to change, even to something as mundane as a haircut. Of course, HE can grow a nasty, scraggly, pubic hair beard, and SHE has to like it. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Sad 8
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7

I watched the video and I didn't think Austin was that big of a dick about it. It was late and he was tired, plus his idiot father had already ruined the surprise, which probably affected his reaction. I do think his Dad was a huge dick to do that when Joy really wanted to surprise her husband. My old boss, who was definitely not fundie, bleached the heck out of her hair (and likely still does) in order to please her husband's love of blonde hair. So it's not just fundie women who do their hair the way the husband likes. I do think Joy's hair is healthy and the cut was very nice. I predict she'll grow it back though. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1
On 11/25/2022 at 2:50 PM, Gemma Violet said:

Joy cut quite a bit off her hair:

Austin's reaction: "I don't hate it."

That’s one of the most inane videos that I’ve ever watched.  She cut her hair.  Big fk’ing deal.  It’s definitely not something that‘s worthy of a video.  These people are ridiculous.

• Applause 12
9 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

That’s one of the most inane videos that I’ve ever watched.  She cut her hair.  Big fk’ing deal.  It’s definitely not something that‘s worthy of a video.  These people are ridiculous.

And it was a L O N G video.  

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2

On the one hand, the video was detailing a pretty boring topic by most people's standards. But to fundies this may have been a big deal. IIRC, Jill did a video when she cut her hair, although I don't think she did a video when she dyed her hair.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Joy looks fantastic and I've long thought she's the prettiest of the Duggar gals.

Not to defend Austin, but if I was just getting in at 1am in the morning after working away from home all week and having driven several hours to get home, I wouldn't be the biggest fan of being immediately pounced on the very second I walked in the door for something that could have waited until I had a chance to sit down or perhaps a few hours of sleep. I get Joy was excited about her new hair and again, it's gorgeous, but she is not five and could have given him a little bit of time to chill before asking. 

Austin's dad was a dick though to share before Joy had the chance to. 

• Like 9
  • Love 4

Didn't Joy have hair anxiety issues right before her wedding, (possibly just before she was getting dressed for the ceremony)?   I think she was undecided as to how to wear her hair for the wedding and wanted Austin's opinion.  He didn't seem to grasp how important his approval was to her.

• Like 3
  • Sad 9
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

"Day 4 or 5 of being sick, fortunately the kids didn't get what I have".

Is it me, or does it seem like Joy is avoiding saying covid?

She should look into what can happen to pregnant women and fetuses with Covid. . . 

• Sad 11
25 minutes ago, AstridM said:

She should look into what can happen to pregnant women and fetuses with Covid. . . 

Yup. So far I think Jill D and Erin Bates have had covid while pregnant - that we know of.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7
15 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Joy went out with the kids and it sounds like she has covid bc she mentioned "day 4 or 5." No mask either. Jesus these people suck.

The real flu came early this year so it could possibly be that.  I'm sure she doesn't bother with flu shots.  The last time I had that (in 1997 a year I didn't bother to get the shot), and I was flat on my back for 4-5 days.

• Sad 5
42 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

The real flu came early this year so it could possibly be that.  I'm sure she doesn't bother with flu shots.  The last time I had that (in 1997 a year I didn't bother to get the shot), and I was flat on my back for 4-5 days.

Lots of times when people say they have the flu it's really just a heavy cold. The flu sucks and you're out, like you said. My last flu(a summer one, many years ago) lasted for a week and a half and turned into bronchitis near the end, felt like I was hit by a truck.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

These folks probably (I don't know for sure) dismiss Covid for one.  Maybe flu. Don't know if any of them were immunized as children before the 24 news cycle, etc. told them about chips by Bill Gates.   Lord help them if they get shingles one day before they are old enough for the shots or after when they dismiss that too.  I didn't use to get the flu shot about 30 years ago. I hate needles and thought I'd never get it.   One time I got it and honestly thought it was a terminal condition, I felt that sick.  So, now I get the flu shot.  And have managed my needle issues.

• Like 8
  • Love 9

Pretty sure many of the Bates have had 2 or 3 rounds of covid and I'm guessing the Duggars have had 2 or 3 rounds as well. Actual covid, not the vax. The Dillards are the only ones that have said they were vaxxed and I think they have only had covid once.

Joy, Austin and some other dude actually mocked covid in its beginning.

• Sad 9
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Joy, Austin and some other dude actually mocked covid in its beginning.

That was the video with the Freedomists. Several Duggar brothers are involved with them. Or were a couple years ago. I don't know what's became of them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
9 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

That was the video with the Freedomists. Several Duggar brothers are involved with them. Or were a couple years ago. I don't know what's became of them. 

That was with Lamuel Reber. son of the couple that housed FF. Original recipe JED! was a guest on their podcast as well. Not sure if it is still a thing but they had a podcast called Modern Conservative Thinking! .

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

I just got over my first case of Covid (it was a good run while it lasted) and if I hadn't tested, I would have thought I had a moderate head cold. I've had all the vaxes, though, so I'm guessing that's what kept it mild. 

• Hugs 9
  • Love 8
36 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Just saw a pic of Joy on IG. At 15 weeks, she's as big as Nurie was full term. Poor Joy is gonna have another big 'un. 

I wish she would have twins. Jessa would be so jealous!

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
On 11/26/2022 at 6:37 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

True. Fundie men think it's their way or the highway. They don't respond well to change, even to something as mundane as a haircut. Of course, HE can grow a nasty, scraggly, pubic hair beard, and SHE has to like it. 🙄

I can never see Austin or his beard any other way now. Please pass the brain bleach! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3