Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

When ours were little, but school age, we had a tree swing in our back yard that was a circle seat made to look like a daisy with a rope through the center, a cylinder with a bouncy spring about ten feet above the seat and then more rope up into the tree.   There was always a line of kids impatiently waiting for their turn whenever we had friends or family over.   Fun times.

• Love 8
On 9/13/2021 at 2:38 PM, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Hey! I’m 40 and don’t have wrinkles. She looks at least 65. Her skin looks very dehydrated and sun damaged.  

Hey!  I just turned 60 and don't have that many wrinkles - and i am from the time (did i just write that?) we were almost BLUE after being at the beach.  No sunscreen.  Just fried.  I thank god for good genes.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Joy brings her equipment in and out of the house each time she works out?

It seems each family, like many I guess, goes in and out of gym rat phases.

Is that Joy’s house? The outside didn’t look familiar. I thought Austin’s sister and nieces live in Texas. I’m so confused,

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, SMama said:

Is that Joy’s house? The outside didn’t look familiar. I thought Austin’s sister and nieces live in Texas. I’m so confused,

31 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I don’t think Joy and Austin’s house is brick. 

I only have seen this one picture. I'm guessing there's more. lol

4 hours ago, Boston said:

Hey!  I just turned 60 and don't have that many wrinkles - and i am from the time (did i just write that?) we were almost BLUE after being at the beach.  No sunscreen.  Just fried.  I thank god for good genes.

Joy looks like a hard 65.  @Boston something tells me you probably take much better care of yourself, and have been exposed to a healthier diet. You also probably didn’t become a SAHM/chef/housekeeper/teacher at 9.  For all the bullshit MLM crap they shill, and stupid trends they follow, why is it no one can follow the licensed dermatologists on YouTube? Or parter with a quality, indie skin care brand that emphasizes the use of sunscreen and a gentle cleanser?  There’s racks of things in Walmart and Ulta that can really help. 

I know Joy has two young kids, and she’s been through a lot lately, but she doesn’t have a job outside the home.  She can’t find 10 minutes a day to take care of herself? 

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

She can’t find 10 minutes a day to take care of herself? 

Not saying this is the case, but depression will do that to you. 

But I've also never really gotten the impression Joy cares very much about her appearance. I think she may just honestly not care. 

• Love 24
54 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Joy looks like a hard 65.  @Boston something tells me you probably take much better care of yourself, and have been exposed to a healthier diet. You also probably didn’t become a SAHM/chef/housekeeper/teacher at 9.  For all the bullshit MLM crap they shill, and stupid trends they follow, why is it no one can follow the licensed dermatologists on YouTube? Or parter with a quality, indie skin care brand that emphasizes the use of sunscreen and a gentle cleanser?  There’s racks of things in Walmart and Ulta that can really help. 

I know Joy has two young kids, and she’s been through a lot lately, but she doesn’t have a job outside the home.  She can’t find 10 minutes a day to take care of herself? 

I doubt any of those quality, indie skincare brands want to be associated with a Duggar. Especially now.

• Love 5

Joy has never been into the frilly, girly stuff but she definitely needs to get on the SPF train. She's very outdoorsy and could run into problems later. My aunt spent her youth working outside during the summer, and ended up developing skin cancer in her 40s. 

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, Zella said:
1 hour ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Not saying this is the case, but depression will do that to you. 

You might be right.  For all their horrendous beliefs, I hope she has the support she needs.

11 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I doubt any of those quality, indie skincare brands want to be associated with a Duggar. Especially now.

True that.  I know I wouldn’t.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Joy has never been into the frilly, girly stuff but she definitely needs to get on the SPF train. She's very outdoorsy and could run into problems later. My aunt spent her youth working outside during the summer, and ended up developing skin cancer in her 40s. 

It took me until I was 30 to fully embrace wearing sunscreen every single day. A friend of mine died at 23 from skin cancer, and she was just the most joyous, brilliant delight of a person. It was shocking. So since then I haven’t left the house without sunscreen, it’s been 20 years. I’m lucky I have oily skin, because I only have the slightest wrinkles on my forehead so far. I do have blotchy arms when you look at them in bright light. Light and dark sun spots. 

id be surprised If Joy has given it much thought at her age. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 6

Evelyn is already not a traditionally cute baby (and that’s the nicest way I can say it.) Joy isn’t doing her any favors by dressing her in such colorless, ugly clothing.  I know it’s a thing on Pinterest, but that outfit looks like undergarments from the turn of the last century.  There are lots of cute outfits in fall colors that would have looked so much better. It’s her kid and her choice, but she’s missing some opportunities to play up those chubby baby legs.  Gracie looks cute as always and the other little girl looks joyful. 

My grandma and her sister, who were very pretty women, were well aware their daughters were not cute babies, so they always said they knew to keep them dressed in cute clothes. I think of that every time I see poor Evelyn in a potato sack.

B5C9FD1C-AD94-4985-B440-568C0D6448FB.jpeg

FB96EEFB-60E6-47EA-8A62-06377205298C.jpeg

A3E25D3F-BDCB-4809-83EA-2CEAB4DA7C43.jpeg

4100E9D3-D001-41D4-8DF6-9F6E42A4F247.jpeg

• Love 13
On 9/30/2021 at 11:19 AM, BitterApple said:

Cute pics. Does anyone know who the non-Duggar woman is? I don't recall seeing her before.

Her name is Gabrielle Patton. I only know that because Joy tagged her. She’s a RN has a photography business, is married and has a son, and a daughter.

0D4DF59C-977A-4609-A014-3DEA6414973F.jpeg

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 4

She is married to Drew Patton who is on the "leadership team" for Mediccorps. His sisters, Lydia and Elizabeth, used to be seen quite often with Anna and Johanna in pics taken at the TTH.

• Useful 7

Doing school work with Gideon for “like 5 minutes”. She also said she tries to do the 5 minutes every day, but sometimes it doesn’t happen. Then she said, “consistency works better than longer periods of time every so often.”. She does it to get the , “numbers, letters, and colors kind of ingrained in his head”.

🤔

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 2

Joy says consistency is more important than length of time. In the next breath she says they don't always get to it - the definition of inconsistent. If there's one family that needs formal school more than most, its this one.

I hope in two years time, the Lord puts it in their hearts to send Giddy to school.

• Love 23

Giddy is what, 3? Hopefully by the time he’s kindergarten age they will realize Joy isn’t the best one for homeschooling. Joy and Carlin Bates are best friends, Carlin has already said she’s going to homeschool, and Carlin isn’t too smart either, so there’s probably no hope for Joy’s kids.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

Giddy is what, 3? Hopefully by the time he’s kindergarten age they will realize Joy isn’t the best one for homeschooling. Joy and Carlin Bates are best friends, Carlin has already said she’s going to homeschool, and Carlin isn’t too smart either, so there’s probably no hope for Joy’s kids.

Carlin will take the Alyssa Webster approach and chuck the kid in a corner with an iPad and headphones. I imagine Joy will do the same. 

2 hours ago, ozziemom said:

I think it's just a generational race to the bottom. Each generation will be less well-educated than their parents. 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Carlin will take the Alyssa Webster approach and chuck the kid in a corner with an iPad and headphones. I imagine Joy will do the same. 

Well, Alyssa has demonstrated a consistent inability to spell even elementary words like "dining" correctly (she constantly made references to her "dinning room" on her Instagram over a period of months until someone finally couldn't take it anymore and corrected her--so, yeah, more advanced words like "midevil" don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of coming even close), as well as a total ignorance of cardinal directions (I swear, she got all four of them wrong during family Pictionary night) . . . so maybe her kids are better off with the iPad teacher.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, graefin said:

Well, Alyssa has demonstrated a consistent inability to spell even elementary words like "dining" correctly (she constantly made references to her "dinning room" on her Instagram over a period of months until someone finally couldn't take it anymore and corrected her--so, yeah, more advanced words like "midevil" don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of coming even close), as well as a total ignorance of cardinal directions (I swear, she got all four of them wrong during family Pictionary night) . . . so maybe her kids are better off with the iPad teacher.

To be fair, I'm sure the second one is more due to zealous efforts to abstain from anything labeled evil, as opposed to lack of education or knowledge, right?    ;) 

• LOL 4
19 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Pizza isn't gluten-free, Joy.

They can be, but they are harder to find.  My market is usually out.  The ones from Schwan's aren't too bad.

Edited by CalicoKitty
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1