Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
frenchtoast

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

Recommended Posts

Joy's little family is cute! They seem so happy.  God bless!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

But not Karen. 😉

'Her name's Karen' - We call her 'Evy'.

  • Laugh 14

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Teriacky said:

I think the next round of old lady names will most likely include Debbie, Susan, and Linda. 

Oh great. One of those is my name. 🙄

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

Mod Announcement:

The discussion of names and how certain ones go in and out of fashion, although fascinating, is not connected to Joy & Austin and thus belongs in small talk. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Dare I say it -- Joy has seemed happier since Smuggar got arrested. It's sad when you have a predator in the family and the only way to make sure he's not around is when he's arrested/in jail.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, ginger90 said:

C604A38B-FA1E-45D9-9151-5AE85F9657E2.jpeg

Joy looks beautiful and happy in this shot. I think she is the most photogenic of the Duggars. The kid looks a little deranged but let's not talk about that. :-)

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Dare I say it -- Joy has seemed happier since Smuggar got arrested. It's sad when you have a predator in the family and the only way to make sure he's not around is when he's arrested/in jail.

I think some of it is her attempt at deflection from the whole Josh situation. Redirect the leghumpers’ attention to cute kids! Which seems extremely risky and stupid given all that’s happened. But this is Joy.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Joy looks beautiful and happy in this shot. I think she is the most photogenic of the Duggars. The kid looks a little deranged but let's not talk about that. :-)

Kid looks like she's been hitting the bong. 😜

  • Laugh 14
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Kid looks like she's been hitting the bong. 😜

OMG I laughed so hard I had tears and almost snorted. Thank you. Great way to start the day.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I saw that and damn near had a heart attack when Joy was recording herself while driving. 

  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I saw that and damn near had a heart attack when Joy was recording herself while driving. 

to be somewhat fair, in a drive thru car wash you're not doing the driving. the car is in neutral and it's being dragged on a track (think roller coasters) so it's not as unsafe as it seems at first glance. 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, questionfear said:

to be somewhat fair, in a drive thru car wash you're not doing the driving. the car is in neutral and it's being dragged on a track (think roller coasters) so it's not as unsafe as it seems at first glance. 

Yeah, the kind I use has me putting the car in park (or turning off the ignition) in the wash tunnel, and the two walls with hoses, etc. go back and forth along the car.  The car doesn't move--everything else does. 

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, questionfear said:

to be somewhat fair, in a drive thru car wash you're not doing the driving. the car is in neutral and it's being dragged on a track (think roller coasters) so it's not as unsafe as it seems at first glance. 

It was before that. In the first few seconds of the video, Joy's driving on a busy road, recording herself, and then it flips to the car wash.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Surprise 5
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

I will never understand something. How is it that people can read and re-read the bible fifty times over. It's the exact same text that they read before. Doesn't it ever get boring to them? I know I wouldn't be interested in reading the same book, no matter the subject over and over again throughout my life.  I belong to a Christian faith and just don't need to read over and over again. Perhaps at times in my life, the book would bring inspiration but these people never seem to NOT be reading it.

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

I will never understand something. How is it that people can read and re-read the bible fifty times over. It's the exact same text that they read before. Doesn't it ever get boring to them? I know I wouldn't be interested in reading the same book, no matter the subject over and over again throughout my life.  I belong to a Christian faith and just don't need to read over and over again. Perhaps at times in my life, the book would bring inspiration but these people never seem to NOT be reading it.

I always find new things when I reread something , be it the Bible or a mystery.  I will be at a different stage of life and have a fresh perspective on things. 

  • Like 20
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I read the Bible daily, I don't feel like it gets repetitive. Of course, I also read a variety of other books as well. I'm not sure that's the case with the Duggars.

  • Like 14
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, floridamom said:

I will never understand something. How is it that people can read and re-read the bible fifty times over. It's the exact same text that they read before. Doesn't it ever get boring to them? I know I wouldn't be interested in reading the same book, no matter the subject over and over again throughout my life.  I belong to a Christian faith and just don't need to read over and over again. Perhaps at times in my life, the book would bring inspiration but these people never seem to NOT be reading it.

For others I can see doing that but not the Duggars or any Fundies. They haven't been taught to really think about what the words or different stories mean or to interpret it differently. I can't see any of them talking with their spouse about if any of it having different meanings or having a discussion about any of it. Or what they thought about one passage or story changing as they get older. 

  • Like 13
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

For others I can see doing that but not the Duggars or any Fundies. They haven't been taught to really think about what the words or different stories mean or to interpret it differently. I can't see any of them talking with their spouse about if any of it having different meanings or having a discussion about any of it. Or what they thought about one passage or story changing as they get older. 

Jeremy had to go to Finland to learn that there are multiple interpretations of the bible. Seriously, he said so in his book...

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 13
  • Surprise 8
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, JoanArc said:

Jeremy had to go to Finland to learn that there are multiple interpretations of the bible. Seriously, he said so in his book...

I bet his dad the preacher appreciated that remark. LOLOL 

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, Zella said:

I bet his dad the preacher appreciated that remark. LOLOL 

The people in Finland noticed that Jeremy's interpretations were so good, and obviously true. It led him to being a preacher since he was so good at interpretation. Yes, really.

 

On topic, I have no problem with them re-reading the bible. It's the poor howlers that were forced to literally memorialize entire books of the bible verbatim I have a problem with.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, JoanArc said:

The people in Finland noticed that Jeremy's interpretations were so good, and obviously true. It led him to being a preacher since he was so good at interpretation. Yes, really.

 

On topic, I have no problem with them re-reading the bible. It's the poor howlers that were forced to literally memorialize entire books of the bible verbatim I have a problem with.

And copying out passages from the Bible every single day. Then highlighting every single passage, I guess cos they are all important?

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yet they still don’t know what it means, nor can they discuss it intelligently.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post

I re-read books, all the time and the Bible is so obscure you can discover new things every time. But they don't read and digest, they just blindly follow what they've been told.

Still don't understand this memorising thing, what is that supposed to do? I can quote things (Bridget Jones' diary springs to mind, cough. But hey, I can quote things I memorised!) It won't lead you to understanding, it won't lead you to be faithful, kind or a good person. It's just dumb repetition

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, MunichNark said:

I re-read books, all the time and the Bible is so obscure you can discover new things every time. But they don't read and digest, they just blindly follow what they've been told.

Still don't understand this memorising thing, what is that supposed to do? I can quote things (Bridget Jones' diary springs to mind, cough. But hey, I can quote things I memorised!) It won't lead you to understanding, it won't lead you to be faithful, kind or a good person. It's just dumb repetition

Memorizing just to say your child has memorized something is silly. I have taught Sunday School in the past and always had the kids memorize age appropriate verses..but we talked about them and how they applied to their lives.  I usually taught 4,5 and 6 year olds this is easily done and can lead to some wonderful and funny conversations. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

You memorize verses for three reasons: 

1. To help you evanglize. If you're trying to lead someone to accepting Jesus, you need to have Bible verses to back up your sales pitch. 

2. Quoting scripture in prayer or out loud when being tempted will help thwart Satan in his attacks against you and your loved ones. 

3. Show your Christian street-cred; it's a way to flex and impress other Christians to babble on with your memorized scriptures. 

  • Like 8
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

You memorize verses for three reasons: 

1. To help you evanglize. If you're trying to lead someone to accepting Jesus, you need to have Bible verses to back up your sales pitch. 

2. Quoting scripture in prayer or out loud when being tempted will help thwart Satan in his attacks against you and your loved ones. 

3. Show your Christian street-cred; it's a way to flex and impress other Christians to babble on with your memorized scriptures. 

I memorize Scriptures to give me peace and hope.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I memorize Scriptures to give me peace and hope.

That’s nice. It is also not literally an entire book of the Bible. Like a  photocopy in your head

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

9 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

That’s nice. It is also not literally an entire book of the Bible. Like a  photocopy in your head

I honestly wish I could memorize an entire book of the Bible. That would be awesome. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I honestly wish I could memorize an entire book of the Bible. That would be awesome. 

Denzel agrees!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I just wonder why I can remember the lyrics to 80’s and 90’s songs word-for word, but I can’t remember the password I made up yesterday, or why I walked into the kitchen… 🤔

With me, it's 60's and 70's songs, but the same thing otherwise!

Topic:  Joy looks better with the side swept bangs.  I really hope the glasses don't mean she's pregnant again.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, MunichNark said:

I re-read books, all the time and the Bible is so obscure you can discover new things every time. But they don't read and digest, they just blindly follow what they've been told.

Still don't understand this memorising thing, what is that supposed to do? I can quote things (Bridget Jones' diary springs to mind, cough. But hey, I can quote things I memorised!) It won't lead you to understanding, it won't lead you to be faithful, kind or a good person. It's just dumb repetition

Yep, you can memorize chunks of prose in a foreign language, too, without understanding one word of it.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

You memorize verses for three reasons: 

1. To help you evanglize. If you're trying to lead someone to accepting Jesus, you need to have Bible verses to back up your sales pitch. 

2. Quoting scripture in prayer or out loud when being tempted will help thwart Satan in his attacks against you and your loved ones. 

3. Show your Christian street-cred; it's a way to flex and impress other Christians to babble on with your memorized scriptures. 

And that third bullet? When it's a young child that has memorized, it's a way of showing off how "smart" your kid is. 

We are not religious in any way whatsoever. When my kids were about 3 years old, I got them to memorize the Gettysburg Address and the quadratic formula. They had NO idea what they were saying, but they always got praise & compliments! It's a party trick. Same concept as fundamentalists having their toddlers recite verses. 

 

  • Like 17
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

Isn't that Bible Bee event about memorizing large chucks of the bible?

Share this post


Link to post

Bible study is a weekly thing at many churches. My aunt goes to Bible study every Friday and says she falls asleep. We made the reasonable suggestion that if she was dozing off every Bible study, maybe she could find something else to do. 

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 15

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, Westiepeach said:

I just wonder why I can remember the lyrics to 80’s and 90’s songs word-for word, but I can’t remember the password I made up yesterday, or why I walked into the kitchen… 🤔

I have to reset my online banking password every time I log in. I can never remember it. Yet I remember my HS locker number and combination as well as the combo to my gym locker lock! I graduated in the early 80s! 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 7
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

they all always look blissfully happy.

Which is why I know it can’t be true. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, awaken said:

Which is why I know it can’t be true. 

How do they get the kids to fake it?

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh Joy, if you only knew. It would have been much better to label the pics bath time, not bath day.

And watch out @Cinnabon is going to come slap that phone outta your hands. As she rightly should.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 12

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh Joy, if you only knew. It would have been much better to label the pics bath time, not bath day.

And watch out @Cinnabon is going to come slap that phone outta your hands. As she rightly should.

Small children do not need a daily bath. Indeed, not recommended. Per numerous websites.

"Bath time guidelines

Bathing recommendations depend on your child’s age, says Dr. Tamburro. She suggests these general guidelines:

Babies, toddlers and little kids should spend some quality time in the tub two to three times per week. Their delicate skin doesn’t need daily cleansing, but it’s OK to get out the bath toys more often if your child gets dirty or has a messy diaper situation."

"Key Points

 A daily bathing routine is far too frequent for most young children, 2-3 times per weeks is far more acceptable

 Washing too frequently could lead to skin irritation

 Make sure you wash children that are smelly or dirty"

"

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Small children do not need a daily bath. Indeed, not recommended. Per numerous websites.

"Bath time guidelines

Bathing recommendations depend on your child’s age, says Dr. Tamburro. She suggests these general guidelines:

Babies, toddlers and little kids should spend some quality time in the tub two to three times per week. Their delicate skin doesn’t need daily cleansing, but it’s OK to get out the bath toys more often if your child gets dirty or has a messy diaper situation."

"Key Points

 A daily bathing routine is far too frequent for most young children, 2-3 times per weeks is far more acceptable

 Washing too frequently could lead to skin irritation

 Make sure you wash children that are smelly or dirty"

"

As with most recommendations, this one varies. It is said that after one year of age a daily bath is fine. For me, playing in just the water first, and then soap up and rinsing off is the way to go. That way the child isn’t sitting in the soap for an extended period. Better to bathe “too often”, instead of not enough.

And, the face, hands, and genitals, IMO, need daily care, more than once a day.

 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

As with most recommendations, this one varies. It is said that after one year of age a daily bath is fine.

 

But not necessary as was being implied in order to find something to criticize.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size