Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

(edited)
16 hours ago, ginger90 said:

C604A38B-FA1E-45D9-9151-5AE85F9657E2.jpeg

Joy looks beautiful and happy in this shot. I think she is the most photogenic of the Duggars. The kid looks a little deranged but let's not talk about that. :-)

Edited by jcbrown
  • LOL 10
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Dare I say it -- Joy has seemed happier since Smuggar got arrested. It's sad when you have a predator in the family and the only way to make sure he's not around is when he's arrested/in jail.

I think some of it is her attempt at deflection from the whole Josh situation. Redirect the leghumpers’ attention to cute kids! Which seems extremely risky and stupid given all that’s happened. But this is Joy.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Joy looks beautiful and happy in this shot. I think she is the most photogenic of the Duggars. The kid looks a little deranged but let's not talk about that. :-)

Kid looks like she's been hitting the bong. 😜

• LOL 14
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I saw that and damn near had a heart attack when Joy was recording herself while driving. 

to be somewhat fair, in a drive thru car wash you're not doing the driving. the car is in neutral and it's being dragged on a track (think roller coasters) so it's not as unsafe as it seems at first glance. 

• Love 19
(edited)
1 hour ago, questionfear said:

to be somewhat fair, in a drive thru car wash you're not doing the driving. the car is in neutral and it's being dragged on a track (think roller coasters) so it's not as unsafe as it seems at first glance. 

Yeah, the kind I use has me putting the car in park (or turning off the ignition) in the wash tunnel, and the two walls with hoses, etc. go back and forth along the car.  The car doesn't move--everything else does. 

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, questionfear said:

It was before that. In the first few seconds of the video, Joy's driving on a busy road, recording herself, and then it flips to the car wash.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I will never understand something. How is it that people can read and re-read the bible fifty times over. It's the exact same text that they read before. Doesn't it ever get boring to them? I know I wouldn't be interested in reading the same book, no matter the subject over and over again throughout my life.  I belong to a Christian faith and just don't need to read over and over again. Perhaps at times in my life, the book would bring inspiration but these people never seem to NOT be reading it.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

I will never understand something. How is it that people can read and re-read the bible fifty times over. It's the exact same text that they read before. Doesn't it ever get boring to them? I know I wouldn't be interested in reading the same book, no matter the subject over and over again throughout my life.  I belong to a Christian faith and just don't need to read over and over again. Perhaps at times in my life, the book would bring inspiration but these people never seem to NOT be reading it.

I always find new things when I reread something , be it the Bible or a mystery.  I will be at a different stage of life and have a fresh perspective on things. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

For others I can see doing that but not the Duggars or any Fundies. They haven't been taught to really think about what the words or different stories mean or to interpret it differently. I can't see any of them talking with their spouse about if any of it having different meanings or having a discussion about any of it. Or what they thought about one passage or story changing as they get older. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

For others I can see doing that but not the Duggars or any Fundies. They haven't been taught to really think about what the words or different stories mean or to interpret it differently. I can't see any of them talking with their spouse about if any of it having different meanings or having a discussion about any of it. Or what they thought about one passage or story changing as they get older. 

Jeremy had to go to Finland to learn that there are multiple interpretations of the bible. Seriously, he said so in his book...

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, JoanArc said:

Jeremy had to go to Finland to learn that there are multiple interpretations of the bible. Seriously, he said so in his book...

I bet his dad the preacher appreciated that remark. LOLOL 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
52 minutes ago, Zella said:

I bet his dad the preacher appreciated that remark. LOLOL 

The people in Finland noticed that Jeremy's interpretations were so good, and obviously true. It led him to being a preacher since he was so good at interpretation. Yes, really.

On topic, I have no problem with them re-reading the bible. It's the poor howlers that were forced to literally memorialize entire books of the bible verbatim I have a problem with.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, JoanArc said:

The people in Finland noticed that Jeremy's interpretations were so good, and obviously true. It led him to being a preacher since he was so good at interpretation. Yes, really.

On topic, I have no problem with them re-reading the bible. It's the poor howlers that were forced to literally memorialize entire books of the bible verbatim I have a problem with.

And copying out passages from the Bible every single day. Then highlighting every single passage, I guess cos they are all important?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I re-read books, all the time and the Bible is so obscure you can discover new things every time. But they don't read and digest, they just blindly follow what they've been told.

Still don't understand this memorising thing, what is that supposed to do? I can quote things (Bridget Jones' diary springs to mind, cough. But hey, I can quote things I memorised!) It won't lead you to understanding, it won't lead you to be faithful, kind or a good person. It's just dumb repetition

• Love 14
5 hours ago, MunichNark said:

I re-read books, all the time and the Bible is so obscure you can discover new things every time. But they don't read and digest, they just blindly follow what they've been told.

Still don't understand this memorising thing, what is that supposed to do? I can quote things (Bridget Jones' diary springs to mind, cough. But hey, I can quote things I memorised!) It won't lead you to understanding, it won't lead you to be faithful, kind or a good person. It's just dumb repetition

Memorizing just to say your child has memorized something is silly. I have taught Sunday School in the past and always had the kids memorize age appropriate verses..but we talked about them and how they applied to their lives.  I usually taught 4,5 and 6 year olds this is easily done and can lead to some wonderful and funny conversations. 

• Love 10

You memorize verses for three reasons: 

1. To help you evanglize. If you're trying to lead someone to accepting Jesus, you need to have Bible verses to back up your sales pitch. 

2. Quoting scripture in prayer or out loud when being tempted will help thwart Satan in his attacks against you and your loved ones. 

3. Show your Christian street-cred; it's a way to flex and impress other Christians to babble on with your memorized scriptures. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

1. To help you evanglize. If you're trying to lead someone to accepting Jesus, you need to have Bible verses to back up your sales pitch. 

2. Quoting scripture in prayer or out loud when being tempted will help thwart Satan in his attacks against you and your loved ones. 

3. Show your Christian street-cred; it's a way to flex and impress other Christians to babble on with your memorized scriptures. 

I memorize Scriptures to give me peace and hope.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I memorize Scriptures to give me peace and hope.

That’s nice. It is also not literally an entire book of the Bible. Like a  photocopy in your head

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I just wonder why I can remember the lyrics to 80’s and 90’s songs word-for word, but I can’t remember the password I made up yesterday, or why I walked into the kitchen… 🤔

With me, it's 60's and 70's songs, but the same thing otherwise!

Topic:  Joy looks better with the side swept bangs.  I really hope the glasses don't mean she's pregnant again.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Yep, you can memorize chunks of prose in a foreign language, too, without understanding one word of it.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

And that third bullet? When it's a young child that has memorized, it's a way of showing off how "smart" your kid is. 

We are not religious in any way whatsoever. When my kids were about 3 years old, I got them to memorize the Gettysburg Address and the quadratic formula. They had NO idea what they were saying, but they always got praise & compliments! It's a party trick. Same concept as fundamentalists having their toddlers recite verses. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 17

Bible study is a weekly thing at many churches. My aunt goes to Bible study every Friday and says she falls asleep. We made the reasonable suggestion that if she was dozing off every Bible study, maybe she could find something else to do. 

• LOL 15
  • Love 5
On 6/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, Westiepeach said:

I just wonder why I can remember the lyrics to 80’s and 90’s songs word-for word, but I can’t remember the password I made up yesterday, or why I walked into the kitchen… 🤔

I have to reset my online banking password every time I log in. I can never remember it. Yet I remember my HS locker number and combination as well as the combo to my gym locker lock! I graduated in the early 80s! 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
(edited)
41 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh Joy, if you only knew. It would have been much better to label the pics bath time, not bath day.

And watch out @Cinnabon is going to come slap that phone outta your hands. As she rightly should.

Small children do not need a daily bath. Indeed, not recommended. Per numerous websites.

"Bath time guidelines

Bathing recommendations depend on your child’s age, says Dr. Tamburro. She suggests these general guidelines:

Babies, toddlers and little kids should spend some quality time in the tub two to three times per week. Their delicate skin doesn’t need daily cleansing, but it’s OK to get out the bath toys more often if your child gets dirty or has a messy diaper situation."

"Key Points

A daily bathing routine is far too frequent for most young children, 2-3 times per weeks is far more acceptable

Washing too frequently could lead to skin irritation

Make sure you wash children that are smelly or dirty"

"

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Small children do not need a daily bath. Indeed, not recommended. Per numerous websites.

"Bath time guidelines

Bathing recommendations depend on your child’s age, says Dr. Tamburro. She suggests these general guidelines:

Babies, toddlers and little kids should spend some quality time in the tub two to three times per week. Their delicate skin doesn’t need daily cleansing, but it’s OK to get out the bath toys more often if your child gets dirty or has a messy diaper situation."

"Key Points

A daily bathing routine is far too frequent for most young children, 2-3 times per weeks is far more acceptable

Washing too frequently could lead to skin irritation

Make sure you wash children that are smelly or dirty"

"

As with most recommendations, this one varies. It is said that after one year of age a daily bath is fine. For me, playing in just the water first, and then soap up and rinsing off is the way to go. That way the child isn’t sitting in the soap for an extended period. Better to bathe “too often”, instead of not enough.

And, the face, hands, and genitals, IMO, need daily care, more than once a day.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

As with most recommendations, this one varies. It is said that after one year of age a daily bath is fine.

But not necessary as was being implied in order to find something to criticize.

• Love 1